HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Preliminary design of Seattle arena released

Old
12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
StickShift

vCash: 50
It looks like a barnacle.

12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
brtriad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I dig it. Love how Seattle is laid out with the three stadiums right in that industrial district.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:31 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

It looks like a tugboat trying to tow Safeco Field away.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The Mariners are complaining since two new sports franchises will eat into their profit margin. Whatever else they say, that's the real reason, IMO.
The Mariners should try fielding a competitive team for a change and they wouldn't have to worry about their profit margin.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:44 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The Mariners are complaining since two new sports franchises will eat into their profit margin. Whatever else they say, that's the real reason, IMO.

I think the design looks great. Can't wait until this starts, hopefully Hansen works a deal with Sacremento soon and the NHL is right on their heels. Seattle should have an NHL team, IMO. Coming right out of this lockout (1-2 years) hopefully SEA secures a team (PHO or expansion).
I lived in Seattle North for about a year or so and still have family in the area. When I stayed there I went down to Tacoma to see the Kings play the Penguins in an exhibition game. The arena in Tacoma is an arm pit (was? I haven't been back) but the place was packed with hockey hungry fans.

The area supports several jr teams and levels and is a hockey hotbed (Seattle) and I believe the fans would turn out to support an NHL team and that the NHL Would be silly nog go try and put a team there.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I lived in Seattle North for about a year or so and still have family in the area. When I stayed there I went down to Tacoma to see the Kings play the Penguins in an exhibition game. The arena in Tacoma is an arm pit (was? I haven't been back) but the place was packed with hockey hungry fans.

The area supports several jr teams and levels and is a hockey hotbed (Seattle) and I believe the fans would turn out to support an NHL team and that the NHL Would be silly nog go try and put a team there.
I'm not sure they even have the ice making equipment in the Tacoma Dome anymore. Most of the ice shows play up at the ShoWare Center in Kent where the T-Birds play.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Wingsfan2965*

It's different, doesn't really look like what an arena would generally look like. I like it.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

That's a nice design. Wish we had this walking up to ours. Mellon had better look walking to it then the CEC.

My only big gripe with the Consol Energy center is that it's compacted in between the church and Cambria suites/parking garage and fith and center ave.

There's no nice lines walking up to it, you don't get them until your on top of it and on fith avenue you practically have to look straight up plus the traffic ruins its appeal.

Fith avenue American Eagle gate

This pic you'll notice both entrances face parallel with the side walk and making it an easy reason there are no pics of this side straight away from across the street.

Verizon entrance below

The trib total media entrance is the nicest but it faces the church? It should have been facing Center ave.

They should have built it using the upper two parking lots above Mellon arena, and used the site it sits on as the parking facility. 2 or 3 level garage.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Lewy

Anyone have any idea where in relation to Safeco and Qwest this arena will be built?
edit: Got some motivation and read the article, planning to build it downtown close to the others. Congestion nightmare down there with one major event, but with only 6 conflicting dates per year (est.) maybe thats livable. I can't imagine trying to get out of there after a ball game and a hockey game on the same night. yikes.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:15 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
I'm not sure they even have the ice making equipment in the Tacoma Dome anymore. Most of the ice shows play up at the ShoWare Center in Kent where the T-Birds play.
I played several games at the old T Birds rink, the one with the weird shape. The good old days. That said what are your thoughts on Seattle supporting an NHL team?

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I played several games at the old T Birds rink, the one with the weird shape. The good old days. That said what are your thoughts on Seattle supporting an NHL team?
I believe we'll support it very well. My wife and I will have season tickets that's for sure. Seattle has a long hockey tradition, we support hockey on the junior level and we have a LOT of people in this area playing hockey. Unless someone has a Canadian-centric view of these things that has all the earmarks of a "traditional" market.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:58 AM
htpwn

As I said in the Seattle thread a week or two ago, it just doesn't work for me. The design has too much going on.

There was another one considered that was similar, but simpler. Too bad they didn't settle on that one.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

From the description of of how expansive views of the waterfront and puget sound and the Olympics will be, the views will be great in and around the Arena. Not really sure about the Orange Dome thing, but it will definitely make it stand out.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:06 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
newer designs of the sodo arena via @chrisdaniels5

Ok I won't lie, that would be pretty awesome to walk up on a clear cold night.

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
newer designs of the sodo arena via @chrisdaniels5

and this looks like some Baha'i temple

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote