HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Prospect Depository IV - A New Thread About Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 04:13 PM
SpartyOn

vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=747

For those interested...from someone who went to the practice for team Canada this morning. Said Sproul looked good and some notes on Ouellet..

Old
12-11-2012, 06:13 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
D-man Xavier Ouellet on his ankle injury: 'It’s feeling pretty good ... I could push [off it] 100% so that’s a good sign for me'
Sounds good

Old
12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
joe89

Good first showing for Paterson. Played calm, had some nice saves and allowed nothing.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:21 PM
newfy

Theyre talking about Paterson as the player of the game so far. Didnt allow any goals and on the team Canada thread people were really saying good things about him. I'm watching the game and he made some really nice saves. Sproul looked solid but made a couple mistakes, however his main competition Murphy looked far worse. Lots of turnovers and iffy defensive zone play

Old
12-11-2012, 10:03 PM
TNigs

I only saw two mistakes from Sproul, and both came against MacKinnon, so I guess it's not terrible, because next year MacKinnon will be making NHL dmen look foolish. There is no way MaKinnon doesn't make the team this year he is simply an amazing hockey player.

Charles Hudon is a little watterbug out there, he is always around the puck and had some very good chances.

Ryan Murphy should not be in consideration on this team as a defenseman. Just move him to forward, he does not play defense, he's a turnover machine, but he did have a nice rush that lead to a scoring chance off the post.

I couldn't see the numbers on the red team, but one guy I always knew when he was out there was Tom Wilson. That guy hits everything. Also very impressed with Brett Richie, A line of Richie Jenner Wilson would put fear in opponents, make it happen Canada.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:09 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

My first time watching Sproul and I'm even more high on him than before. I don't see him being awful defensively as much as I see him being too conservative. I was studying while watching the game so I could of missed a couple things, but the several shifts I saw were solid. Only things I'd like to see him do while working his way to Detroit's line up are, add strength and weight, be more aggressive, and stay in position when he's on the weak side and not circle around so widely and so often in the defensive zone. I can definitely see the Wings/Griffins staff helping him next couple years and see him being on the 1st PP unit with Smith in the near future, maybe 3 years.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:55 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
My first time watching Sproul and I'm even more high on him than before. I don't see him being awful defensively as much as I see him being too conservative. I was studying while watching the game so I could of missed a couple things, but the several shifts I saw were solid. Only things I'd like to see him do while working his way to Detroit's line up are, add strength and weight, be more aggressive, and stay in position when he's on the weak side and not circle around so widely and so often in the defensive zone. I can definitely see the Wings/Griffins staff helping him next couple years and see him being on the 1st PP unit with Smith in the near future, maybe 3 years.
What do you think is going to happen to Kronwall? I do actually think with him being a righty when he is ready to go Sproul might actually bump Smith to anchoring the second PP unit. Like how Kronwall did that for years instead of playing with Lidstrom a lot of the time.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:59 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
What do you think is going to happen to Kronwall? I do actually think with him being a righty when he is ready to go Sproul might actually bump Smith to anchoring the second PP unit. Like how Kronwall did that for years instead of playing with Lidstrom a lot of the time.
Kronwall is no young buck and isn't an elite powerplay guy. I think the battle for the first unit would be Kronwall and Smith for the right side and Sproul and hopefully a right handed free agent for the left side.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:23 AM
newfy

Quote:
Had ppretty much the exact same impression as you. He threw the weight around a bit but also ha a good poke check because of his long reach. The defensive play was not all that bad, a lot of people are saying they liked his game quite a bit. Hes a guy that I think will need a decent amonut of time in the AHL but has really high potential when hes done. Needs to add weight and refine his game more.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:49 AM
SirloinUB

Paterson played the puck very well. He had a couple stretches passes in a row at one point. I love seeing a goalie who can pass the puck

Old
12-12-2012, 01:54 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Our TOP4 in the future will be Kronwall/Sproul/Ouellet/Smith. If Sproul develops "normally" he is quite sure lock to be at 1st PP with that booming shot. Ouellet and Smith can have that "left-handed battle" for the another spot. If Kronwall can't take that 1st PP duty enough well (I'm not the biggest believer in it), he could still anchor the 2nd PP and be more defensively responsible defenceman. I could also see Calle Järnkrok as the right-handed 2nd PP point-guy there if Samuelsson is not re-signed for another 10 years.

Quote:
You know what, he will get some lessons from Lidström, Chelios and Jiri Fischer with 10 Norris Trophy and 8 Stanley Cup experience. Our defensive boys will be in good hands. They will learn the good things. Just imagine, that Ryal Sproul toolbox could be developed by Nicklas Lidström at training camps. "How to quarterback the PP, lesson 1, 2, and 3." by Norris-Nick.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Henkka

Funny thing about Riley Sheahan.

Before the Tinky Winky incident:
6 games, 0+1=1, +0.

After the incident:
14 games, 4+3=7, +7.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:47 AM
InjuredChoker

Hudon with nothing last night.
Nedolmel +1.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:18 AM
joe89

Quote:
Agree about the circling and aggression. He looked casual at times, borderline bored when he was waiting for the puck. Almost all his work going forward will be without the puck.

As a sidenote it was the first time I saw Hudon(not our), he looked very similar to Arvidsson who's been kind of a coach/fan favorite this year on the Swedish team. Small waterbug causing havoc..

Old
12-12-2012, 09:21 AM
StormSurge9

I have a feeling Saginaw believes Paterson will be gone for the tournament. Even if it's as a third goalie.

Then went out and acquired someone today to presumably be the back up while Paterson is gone.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:24 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
I have a feeling Saginaw believes Paterson will be gone for the tournament. Even if it's as a third goalie.

Then went out and acquired someone today to presumably be the back up while Paterson is gone.
Paterson is the only 94' in camp, it makes the most sense to bring him as the third goalie.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:25 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

Any word on if Ouellet is playing today?

Old
12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
newfy

Quote:
Still early in Calgary. Apparently a couple cuts are gong to be made at some point today and the full team named tomorrow. Hopefully Murphy plays like he did yesterday and Sproul gets a point or two or a big hit.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Funny thing about Riley Sheahan.

Before the Tinky Winky incident:
6 games, 0+1=1, +0.

After the incident:
14 games, 4+3=7, +7.
Yeah, I mentioned that when he first started to produce offense. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and will stay on the wagon. It could be coincidence but why not stick with it and see if he can eventually turn into something more than a 3rd or 4th line NHL'er?

Old
12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
You know what, he will get some lessons from Lidström, Chelios and Jiri Fischer with 10 Norris Trophy and 8 Stanley Cup experience. Our defensive boys will be in good hands. They will learn the good things. Just imagine, that Ryal Sproul toolbox could be developed by Nicklas Lidström at training camps. "How to quarterback the PP, lesson 1, 2, and 3." by Norris-Nick.
We have Cheli and Fischer in NA for the prospects on one side of the pond and Lidstrom on the other to help out with prospects like Backman, who is looking very, very good.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
ChadS

Quote:
No. RNH, Ritchie, Hudon, Huberdeau, Jenner, Strome, Scheifele, Danault, Hamilton, Rielly, Harrington and Ouellet are the scratches (= will all make the team, imo).

All 4 goalies will play, 2 on both sides, so Paterson as well. Sproul will play. Will be interesting to see Sproul, I've never seen an entire game of his.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
No. RNH, Ritchie, Hudon, Huberdeau, Jenner, Strome, Scheifele, Danault, Hamilton, Rielly, Harrington and Ouellet are the scratches (= will all make the team, imo).

All 4 goalies will play, 2 on both sides, so Paterson as well. Sproul will play. Will be interesting to see Sproul, I've never seen an entire game of his.
Gord Miller on twitter says if you are not playing today you are pretty much a lock for the team. That's great. Hopefully Sproul and Paterson get a spot.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Sproul will play. Will be interesting to see Sproul, I've never seen an entire game of his.
Will there some streams for this? When does the game start?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Will there some streams for this? When does the game start?
IIRC Fasthockey.com is streaming them for free, you just have to make an account, it takes all of one minute. Pretty decent quality and even comes with play by play commentators
Today's game starts at 1:30PM Mountain time, 3:30 Eastern

Old
12-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimuspaul View Post
IIRC Fasthockey.com is streaming them for free, you just have to make an account, it takes all of one minute. Pretty decent quality and even comes with play by play commentators

Today's game starts at 1:30PM Mountain time, 3:30 Eastern
That's 22:30 in Finland. Not bad. Have to see this.

Closed Thread