Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carelton CA View Post
I think Holland is a lock as well as DSP. On D I'm guessing Lindholm is a lock as well to head to Anaheim.

Whats the 4th line look like in this scenario is Bonino 4th line center?
I'm not so sure about that.

Fowler-Franky
Sbisa-Allen
Souray-Lydman

Where's he gonna slot in? I mean maybe if he's on top of this game ALL the time and the lockout gives Lydman rust he can't shake off, MAYBE he could take the spot from Toni, but we'd want him playing bigger minutes in Norfolk first. He's still young.

And I guess we could run a Beleskey-Bonino-Cogliano line

Old
12-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I may be alone in this, but I'd give Lindholm an opportunity to earn a spot. Frankly, I just think he's been too good at the AHL level to not give him that opportunity. We'd see some growing pains, but not only has his D game been outstanding(save for the occasional one-on-one play), but his breakout ability has really been impressive too, and the more he plays the more confident he gets, and the more he's been involved offensively. I really don't think it would be very long before he's challenging for a top 4 spot.

Obviously, the safe move is to keep him in the AHL, or send him back to Sweden, but if he can earn a spot into the NHL, we can move one of the other defensemen, saving us salary which could be better used somewhere else. Lindholm is a player with a long-term future on this team, and I just don't think holding him back for an older player we're only going to have for a season or two is the right decision. Not if he shows he has what it takes to hold down a spot.

The big question, in my opinion, is whether he'd even have the chance to earn a spot in a shortened season. If the NHL starts up in January, we're obviously not getting a full training camp and pre-season, and that's the type of thing that would hurt a player like Lindholm, who won't have the same opportunity to step in and adjust to the game.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

vCash: 500
My forward lines atm:

DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Holland-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Bonino-Palmieri

The 4th line may be a bit off, but I prefer to keep the top9 lines as they are here (which leaves Palmieri on the 4th line). I hope Holland could thrive under having two accomplished scorers on his line, and it would certainly help him having a experienced one as Teemu as well. The 3rd line has the potential to be one hell of a defensive/shutdown line imo. Winnik and Cogliano already know each other, so I guess they'll have good chemistry. Koivu is a faceoff-man, and his offensive production will probably decrease even more this season (if its to become one...). DSP and Palmieri could without hassle switch lines if suitable.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

DSP really doesn't belong on the top line. Like, at all. Putting him there all but guarantees we see the puck die on his stick play after play. Palmieri has much better hands and offensive ability. DSP needs to show more offensively before he gets that kind of opportunity.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
DSP really doesn't belong on the top line. Like, at all. Putting him there all but guarantees we see the puck die on his stick play after play. Palmieri has much better hands and offensive ability. DSP needs to show more offensively before he gets that kind of opportunity.
Agreed, I worry that Palmieri might not be ready yet but DSP is an even worse option IMO. Whoever is on the top line with the twins will be facing the likes of Weber/Doughty/Keith/Suter/Pietrangelo every night. I don't think DSP has the hands or finishing ability at this point to go up against those guys on a regular basis.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:42 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

I only put DSP up there because I want Ryan on the 2nd line, and DSP did play some minutes up there last season, didn't he? I'm also not sure of playing Palmieri on his wrong side...facing the likes of the guys you mentioned.

Either way, with Selanne still going I'm having a tough time placing Palmieri on the lineup.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Am i the only one who thinks about putting Etem there?

He also lacks skill (at least for now?) but he plays high-energy game. He could see some growing pains but putting him with Getz and Pears could be a good thing. Everyone knows that Etem have a great shot so it could work better than it was with Beleskey (less skill, more physical), because Etem clearly have more potential. Etem right now has only 7 points, but putting him up with a playmaker like Getz and player like Perry, he could do even better against top opposition imo. At least then second line with Bobby and Selanne could have more free hands.

Then again, i hope we will ever face the ''problem'' of putting someone up with Getz and Perry

Old
12-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
I only put DSP up there because I want Ryan on the 2nd line, and DSP did play some minutes up there last season, didn't he? I'm also not sure of playing Palmieri on his wrong side...facing the likes of the guys you mentioned.

Either way, with Selanne still going I'm having a tough time placing Palmieri on the lineup.
From memory he played around two games with the twins last year. The stats seem to back that up as he apparently played 60ES minutes with Getzlaf and 40ES minutes with Perry. I also worry that Palmieri can't switch to LW but I know that Perry has switched before when Lupul was on the top line (and he played LW the few times Palmieri had shifts on the top line last season) and he looked fine doing it.

As for Etem, I don't think he is ready for that kind of responsibility. He's showed immense improvement recently in the AHL but nothing suggests he can play 1st line minutes in the NHL this season. He's still adjusting to playing against men and it's one thing doing that in the AHL and another thing doing it against the best the NHL has to offer.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I almost feel like I'd rather put Cogliano on the top line than Smith-Pelly. As much as I hate his contract, he did score a decent amount at one point. So he has it in him. Plus he could add some speed to help with the forecheck and backcheck. Think of it as a typical left-wing lock 3rd forward.

Send Lindholm down if the season starts. Maybe give him the abbreviated camp just to prepare for later. I'm sure someone will get injured, especially if they try to cram in more games.

Sometimes I toy with the idea of switching Selanne and Ryan to left and right wing, respectively. It's probably the exact opposite thing to do, but I just wonder about his declining goal to assist ratio and general ES play. Maybe making him play a little more like his PP role, especially since Ryan is an excellent setup guy on the RW.

edit: and this has oh so little to do with Norfolk.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Am i the only one who thinks about putting Etem there?

He also lacks skill (at least for now?) but he plays high-energy game. He could see some growing pains but putting him with Getz and Pears could be a good thing. Everyone knows that Etem have a great shot so it could work better than it was with Beleskey (less skill, more physical), because Etem clearly have more potential. Etem right now has only 7 points, but putting him up with a playmaker like Getz and player like Perry, he could do even better against top opposition imo. At least then second line with Bobby and Selanne could have more free hands.

Then again, i hope we will ever face the ''problem'' of putting someone up with Getz and Perry
Etem might be able to make a case for that spot in the future, but presently? He's not ready. Not even close. Etem would be out of his depth there. More than that, he needs to see exactly what areas he needs to improve upon, and being fed points by Getzlaf and Perry is just not the way to do that, in my opinion.

Like Paul said, Etem has shown some nice improvement, but he isn't exactly dominating at the AHL level(and, to be honest, he's still too inconsistent on a shift-by-shift basis), and the game he plays will be even less effective in the NHL until he adapts. Let him continue to adjust and learn how to be effective at the AHL level, and then let him get his feet wet in the NHL, and work his way up the line-up. Throwing him on the 1st line, against the top defensive players that the opposing teams will throw against Getzlaf and Perry isn't going to benefit Etem(or his development), and it won't benefit Anaheim either.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
Getzlaf got once asked in one of those Google+ Hangout things about what kind of player does he and Perry prefer as their LW? He just hoped it's someone who knows how to playing the cycling game and doesn't lose the puck, because it's very frustrating to skate back and forth between the O and D zones.

So someone who can very well protect the puck and works well along the sides (meaning physical..?)?

Old
12-12-2012, 03:39 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

I made the statement about Etem because i don`t think Palmieri on the top LW is a good idea. Smith Pelly - maybe, since he is stronger, but Etem have better shot.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:26 AM
Paul4587

I'm not convinced Palmieri is a fit either but I don't think Etem is anywhere near ready. DSP style wise is a fit but not sure if he has the offensive tools at this point.

I wonder what someone like Colin Greening would cost to acquire as a stop gap. He's not devoid of offensive talent, has size and is capable of playing the same cycling game as the twins. Could be a good complimentary piece to the twins. Ottawa would probably want overpayment though until their young guys can convincingly step into top 6 roles.

And yeah this no longer has anything to do with Norfolk lol.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:31 AM
Exit Dose

I think Palmieri would get some time playing LW in Norfolk if they thought there was a good possibility of him moving there in Anaheim.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Carelton CA

Palmieri is ready to play every day in the NHL in an offensive capacity. There is no doubt when the lockout ends this week he's on a plane to Anaheim.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
I made the statement about Etem because i don`t think Palmieri on the top LW is a good idea. Smith Pelly - maybe, since he is stronger, but Etem have better shot.
Yeah, I'm not sure that Palmieri is the right choice either, but he's certainly the better choice at the moment, between him and Etem. Ultimately, my expectations are that Palmieri would be on the 2nd line with Ryan(and eventually I think Holland will have a shot at being the #2 center). If everything works out, that could be a pretty good 2nd line, with Ryan as the main catalyst.

Long-term, we may need to go out of house to find the right player for Getzlaf and Perry(assuming they both re-sign), or it may just be a matter of waiting for Etem to be ready, or to see if DSP can handle the job.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I think Palmieri would get some time playing LW in Norfolk if they thought there was a good possibility of him moving there in Anaheim.
Perry can and has played LW before. So there is an outside chance that happens I guess.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Exit Dose

The PGP line would become the most hated in the league.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Exit Dose

One thing that might help Etem's chances to come up this year is that most of this league is going to be out of shape.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
One thing that might help Etem's chances to come up this year is that most of this league is going to be out of shape.
If in shape Etem can't dominate at the AHL in shape Etem certainly won't make the NHL based on his physical state.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
If in shape Etem can't dominate at the AHL in shape Etem certainly won't make the NHL based on his physical state.
Fair point. The NHL is just a different animal. Etem is clearly still learning to play against men, and the learning curve is just so much steeper in the NHL. If his physical conditioning isn't enough to give him a significant edge in the AHL, I'm not sure how it would help his chances in the NHL. If Etem were a year older, with a year of pro hockey under his belt, it might be different.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
He isn't playing against players that are out of shape and practice down there.

Edit: The league isn't going to pick up where it left off. It's going to be very sloppy and much slower than it was.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
He isn't playing against players that are out of shape and practice down there.

Edit: The league isn't going to pick up where it left off. The first year back is going to be very sloppy and much slower than it was.
While that's true, we're still talking about NHL players here. Etem is playing primarily against AHL players, with AHL level fitness. If he's not able to use his physical attributes to his advantage at that level, how is he going to do it in the NHL?

I'm also not sure the NHL is going to be as sloppy or slow as you're implying. That wasn't the case in 2005-2006. There was definitely rust, but the players shook it off pretty quickly.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Exit Dose

We'll see.

Bear in mind that I'm assuming he can maintain the rate of progress he has shown, and I didn't say it would be on opening night.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

We probably won't see, but even so, I don't think Etem gets a sniff at the NHL this season, even if the league started up tomorrow. There are a number of players higher than him on the depth chart for scoring spots, as well as players who are more well-rounded and would make more sense for an injury call-up. Etem is a lot like Vatanen. He just isn't a complete player right now(except, in Vatanen's case, he's had better success with that one dimension at the professional level), IMO, and while his physical conditioning was an advantage for him in the CHL, it won't make up for all the things he needs to be better at in the NHL.

Last edited by Sojourn: 12-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Closed Thread