HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2012, 01:53 AM
  #226
ejams
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
It's not my job to prove that you are wrong. But I am telling you that you are wrong.
Everything you are saying is inconceivable. I agree on the exact opposite of what you say.

Amidoingitrite?

ejams is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:02 AM
  #227
bellagiobob
Registered User
 
bellagiobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sin City
Country: Barbados
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Being that its not my job I didn't have a shortlist at the ready. Obviously I don't agree with you that running a club here is clearly different than elsewhere. Can't be that hard to understand our import rules, importance of Canadian Content. Its football. All the guys that come here, including Hervey, adapted to Canadian football.

The first action Hervey will take as GM will be extending Reed's contract. Thats already a problem. Wrong decision right off the bat and the biggest one there is to make.

My patience with this org with Reed and Rhodes running things is dead and gone.
Who would you say are the most successful GM's in CFL history? I would say Norm Kimball, Hugh Campbell, Wally Buono and Jim Popp. Not one of them was a GM in the pros or college before becoming a GM in the CFL. Every one of them did however cut their teeth in the CFL at some level before becoming a GM. Not saying it can't be done, but who would you say are the most successful GM's in CFL history who had no prior CFL experience?

bellagiobob is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:26 AM
  #228
AJGass4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
While I understand your concerns Replacement, I am okay with Hervey.

I think the reason I am is the fact that things cannot get worse could they? I think there was a ton of things that happened behind the scenes last season but it's not the "Eskimo" way to air it in public.

Not sure about Kavis continuing as head coach and I hope Hervey is smart enough to see that if things are going bad next season, he has to address this. I think Hervey also won me over when he discussed the QB situation without being asked because he knew it was coming. Who better than a receiver to understand the importance of a good QB? He also gave the ones we have no praise and said he would deal with it. Maybe that's a good sign.

All I know is that it's gonna take a while before we get a team on the field that is consistant. Last year was just sooooooooooo painful.

AJGass4 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 08:04 AM
  #229
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,067
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I haven't posted once since the Hervey hire because I wanted to collect my thoughts and not do a knee jerk reaction.

I'll be blunt here. This is the Edmonton Eskimos desperately seeking public approval and hiring Hervey on after basically canvassing and noting public opinion for awhile. This is a populist move. To make it more contrived, manipulative the presser is even scripted with no more "Ego Empire" nonsense and Hervey when asked about his relationship with Tillman stating "there wasn't one" With buffoons like Reed and Rhodes grinning like cheshire idiots on either side. Either of whom wouldn't have asked a question about Tillman as little as a month ago and are desperate to save their own bacon and latch onto another *savior* which gives them one more season..

Really what we have here is idiots incorporated basically anointing the one guy left that's popular among fans in desperate hope this will accomplish something. Well really what it accomplishes is optics and trying to flush the bad Tillman taste out. Maybe sell a few season seats before the stink of another season sets in.

So people like Terry Jones are clapping like seals buying this latest move hook, line, and sinker because somebody said "Ego Empire" Gold Jerry...

Meanwhile, I note that we still have Rhodes who doesn't know a damn thing about football and never watched a CFL game before the hire, and doesn't seem to know anything about being the CEO of an org either. Then we have Reed who doesn't know a thing about pro coaching, and now backed by Hervey who doesn't know a thing about managing a pro team.

So the 3 top guys in the org get set for another offseason without a clue, without a trace of anybody with knowledge of how to perform their roles or run a football team.

Again I feel like I'm being played here. The 3 ring circus is still in town.
I too believe this, but who else is a better option?

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 08:14 AM
  #230
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,067
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
Who would you say are the most successful GM's in CFL history? I would say Norm Kimball, Hugh Campbell, Wally Buono and Jim Popp. Not one of them was a GM in the pros or college before becoming a GM in the CFL. Every one of them did however cut their teeth in the CFL at some level before becoming a GM. Not saying it can't be done, but who would you say are the most successful GM's in CFL history who had no prior CFL experience?
The problem I kinda have and I can see where Replacement is coming from is that this GM hire was said to have to be the right guy. That this franchise can't afford another mistake at the GM position. By throwing a rookie in there you kinda contradict that and are saying "well we hope he can take the next step".

What happens when Hervey can't take that next step? Between having RLL on the committee and the vote of confidence that Reed gets even though he made some blatant mistakes (which for some reason for forgiven because he must've been thinking about what time he needs to get to the team to the airport), there is reason to have concern.

I do however think at the very least Hervey will stop the mass exodus that could've potentially hit the team.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 08:31 AM
  #231
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,067
vCash: 95
Here's my concern. First, I think that if Tillman was still here we'd be a better team next year. I think he is a smart man and would've fixed the QB position or at the very least brought in some help there. I also think Reed would've been on a shorter leash and wouldn't be allowed to play Joseph over whoever, to be honest Tillman might've done us all a favour and just never brought back Joseph next year.

So now we have Hervey who more than likely picks up a proven CFL QB, but wouldn't Tillman do the same? Hervey likes Reed, now the leash is longer for Reed who may or may not be the right coach. What happens if we realize Hervey is a horrible GM? Anyone really think he's going to get fired in the next couple years regardless of what the team does? Then you have the whole "new GM who wants to make that mark", what the hell happens when the mark is overpaying for a starting QB which ends up being way worse than the Ray deal?

Don't mind giving Hervey the shot, I just don't like everything else that surrounds this move.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
  #232
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
While I understand your concerns Replacement, I am okay with Hervey.

I think the reason I am is the fact that things cannot get worse could they? I think there was a ton of things that happened behind the scenes last season but it's not the "Eskimo" way to air it in public.

Not sure about Kavis continuing as head coach and I hope Hervey is smart enough to see that if things are going bad next season, he has to address this. I think Hervey also won me over when he discussed the QB situation without being asked because he knew it was coming. Who better than a receiver to understand the importance of a good QB? He also gave the ones we have no praise and said he would deal with it. Maybe that's a good sign.

All I know is that it's gonna take a while before we get a team on the field that is consistant. Last year was just sooooooooooo painful.
Hope you're right but it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that one of his first acts is to extend Reed. Also that as joe mentioned that Hervey results in Reed getting a longer leash period. I saw what took place on the football field last season and we all did. Even the talking wags on TV who were warm to Kavis early on were speaking in less glowing terms and were frequently bringing up the confusion, strange decisions, and indecisiveness on the Edmonton bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The problem I kinda have and I can see where Replacement is coming from is that this GM hire was said to have to be the right guy. That this franchise can't afford another mistake at the GM position. By throwing a rookie in there you kinda contradict that and are saying "well we hope he can take the next step".

What happens when Hervey can't take that next step? Between having RLL on the committee and the vote of confidence that Reed gets even though he made some blatant mistakes (which for some reason for forgiven because he must've been thinking about what time he needs to get to the team to the airport), there is reason to have concern.

I do however think at the very least Hervey will stop the mass exodus that could've potentially hit the team.
Yep, what if it doesn't work, how many other next one chances are there? I didn't think it would happen but by the end of the season the org had succeeded in losing a lot of fans and paying fans. Aside from not knowing much about Hervey's ability in this position it pisses me off that the org has used such crass manipulation to sell this transition. The stuff about Tillman is obviously scripted, like I said earlier something droll that Lelacheur would write, and the stuff about win, win, and were in the business of football was all empty rhetoric.

I haven't at all liked the behavior of Rhodes, and Reed (now Hervey) through the canning of Tillman, when it was done, how its been talked about, how they quickly did 180's and blamed everything on the departing Tillman. These are the actions of saving skins and indeed it looks like promoting Hervey is more of that. A way to save face and hire somebody that easily supports the platform of casting blame on the departed. This is buying into the lamest company line. One that suggests that all the orgs troubles could be reduced to one departed man and that everybody else in management that knows each other well "is all good people".

Its interesting that Reed and Hervey, who were apparently both in the race, talked extensively during the last week. From Reed's POV I could imagine that being all about gauging his own self preservation if Hervey did get the position. This is as close to status quo move as it gets imo. With Hervey learning the position and in as populist figurehead for the moment.

Finally, as mentioned I'd like more info on hervey being groomed for the position. Who was teaching him if he had and wanted nothing to do with Tillman?

Replacement is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
  #233
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,067
vCash: 95
Like you said Replacement this was a script. Team appears to be selling a false since of hope.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
  #234
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Hope you're right but it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that one of his first acts is to extend Reed. Also that as joe mentioned that Hervey results in Reed getting a longer leash period. I saw what took place on the football field last season and we all did. Even the talking wags on TV who were warm to Kavis early on were speaking in less glowing terms and were frequently bringing up the confusion, strange decisions, and indecisiveness on the Edmonton bench.
I don't disagree with anything you've said ... except your conclusion

Agreed that this is a populist move. Agreed that Hervey also doesn't impress me, especially his interview of bringing winning back to the Eskimos. Winning comes as a result of competent decision making and talent, not in of itself. If it was that easy, then everyone could do it.

I also agree I have concerns with Hervey as a rookie GM taking over a floundering ship. But I would prefer a rookie GM who has experience playing, scouting etc in the CFL, than an experience manager who is a rookie to the CFL. Hervey is no rookie to the CFL and I think that makes a difference.

Of course, the optimum would be an experienced, competent CFL gm...

As for Reed, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Yes, there was many strange decisions, but I know how disfunctional things can look when a team works against itself. And there appears to be huge malfunctions in the Tillman - Reed - Hervey dynamic.

Master Lok is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 12:45 PM
  #235
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
In the CFL teams have succeeded with previously inexperienced GMs running things. Head coaches who've had bad seasons have bounced back with better ones. It happens.

This longtime Eskimo season ticket holder as well as the many others I know aren't approving the Esks' latest direction as a result of being spun during a presser or because we are fools with our heads in the sand. We don't even know for sure if Rhodes/Hervey/Reed will succeed. We're hoping for the best just like we did when Maciocia was inexplicably promoted and Tillman was prematurely hired.

It's time to move on now and let the results speak for themselves.

abootzky is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 12:55 PM
  #236
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Here's my concern. First, I think that if Tillman was still here we'd be a better team next year. I think he is a smart man and would've fixed the QB position or at the very least brought in some help there. I also think Reed would've been on a shorter leash and wouldn't be allowed to play Joseph over whoever, to be honest Tillman might've done us all a favour and just never brought back Joseph next year.

So now we have Hervey who more than likely picks up a proven CFL QB, but wouldn't Tillman do the same? Hervey likes Reed, now the leash is longer for Reed who may or may not be the right coach. What happens if we realize Hervey is a horrible GM? Anyone really think he's going to get fired in the next couple years regardless of what the team does? Then you have the whole "new GM who wants to make that mark", what the hell happens when the mark is overpaying for a starting QB which ends up being way worse than the Ray deal?

Don't mind giving Hervey the shot, I just don't like everything else that surrounds this move.
I think the bolded part puts you in a very visible minority.

Tillman is the one that hired Reed. Why do you think Reed would have a longer leash with Hervey? Tillman spent most of his time in Regina or Mississipi, letting Reed run the team from afar, including some managerial duties based on reports we're now hearing. With Hervey living in Edmonton, and actually participating in the day to day operations of the team with close views of everything from games to practices to rehab, I would think the leash will be much tighter and the accountability much greater.

As for Tillman making the team better next year, he's already had several people in administration quit because of his ego driven personality, and I have no doubt there would be players to follow. From all reports, many of the top FA's we all want to sign will likely do so because of Reed, but I think moreso now because of Hervey running the ship instead of ET. I'm just glad Tillman is gone before he concluded some more stupid moves in the off-season. Him going out and getting another QB wouldn't make him worthy of keeping, after the shenanigans and circus of last year. It's a no -brainer to do after what we had to endure at that position last year. This team needs to be professional again, no some freak sideshow.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:04 PM
  #237
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
All I'm saying is I don't understand it. 80% of Eskimos fans are strongly behind this and suddenly saying this is going to resurrect the club. Basically everywhere I look, read, hear, in Etown is saying how great this hire is.

On what basis? Hervey was a good player, maybe a good scout. He's a huge unknown with zero experience at the role he's just been hired for.


Campbell didn't come here as a GM, he came here as a coach, and was a great coach who eventually, years later, became a GM. Who was properly groomed for that role by a competent org that was topshelf in every regard. So its incomparable.

Also just to clarify some confusion the esks org has stated they had "groomed" Hervey for the GM role. Hervey himself has stated he had nothing at all to do with Tillman.
So who exactly was grooming Hervey? Donald duck?

Sorry if I don't buy the bs the org is trotting out and the lame presser that clearly milked one intent.

So you're okay with a guy that's a former coach being promoted to the GM position, but not a guy that's a former pro head scout for a number of years? Hindsight based on a cherry picked case is wonderful, isn't it?


Last edited by Stoneman89: 12-12-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:07 PM
  #238
bellagiobob
Registered User
 
bellagiobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sin City
Country: Barbados
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The problem I kinda have and I can see where Replacement is coming from is that this GM hire was said to have to be the right guy. That this franchise can't afford another mistake at the GM position. By throwing a rookie in there you kinda contradict that and are saying "well we hope he can take the next step".

What happens when Hervey can't take that next step? Between having RLL on the committee and the vote of confidence that Reed gets even though he made some blatant mistakes (which for some reason for forgiven because he must've been thinking about what time he needs to get to the team to the airport), there is reason to have concern.

I do however think at the very least Hervey will stop the mass exodus that could've potentially hit the team.
That's what everyone said after DM was turfed. That they couldn't make another mistake. They needed an experienced guy. Well, they hired the guy who had a wealth of CFL experience. And he ruined our team by trading our QB for magic beans and then capping it off by trading 2 draft picks for a kicker who we didn't need and never played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Here's my concern. First, I think that if Tillman was still here we'd be a better team next year. I think he is a smart man and would've fixed the QB position or at the very least brought in some help there. I also think Reed would've been on a shorter leash and wouldn't be allowed to play Joseph over whoever, to be honest Tillman might've done us all a favour and just never brought back Joseph next year.

So now we have Hervey who more than likely picks up a proven CFL QB, but wouldn't Tillman do the same? Hervey likes Reed, now the leash is longer for Reed who may or may not be the right coach. What happens if we realize Hervey is a horrible GM? Anyone really think he's going to get fired in the next couple years regardless of what the team does? Then you have the whole "new GM who wants to make that mark", what the hell happens when the mark is overpaying for a starting QB which ends up being way worse than the Ray deal?

Don't mind giving Hervey the shot, I just don't like everything else that surrounds this move.
I was in favor of the ET hiring. But I had no faith in him by the end of his reign. Way too many bizarre moves on and off the field. As for Hervey favoring Reed, didn't Tillman hire Reed in 3 different places - Ottawa, Sask and Edm? Sounds like he liked the guy a lot and likely would have kept him as coach.

bellagiobob is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:13 PM
  #239
bellagiobob
Registered User
 
bellagiobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sin City
Country: Barbados
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
So you're okay with a guy that's a former college coach being promoted to the GM position, but not a guy that's a former pro head scout for a number of years? Hindsight based on a cherry picked case is wonderful, isn't it?
Jim Popp is one of the most successful GM's in CFL history. Was never a GM anywhere. Was an AC in the States. Became a AC and Director of Player Personnel in Sask for two years. Was then given the GM job in Baltimore. Turned out pretty good. Hervey has put in 6 years. Can't tell you how it will turn out, but he has put in the time.

bellagiobob is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:13 PM
  #240
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is laughable.

Looks like all the remaining captains on the Whitestar line are conveniently blaming Bruce Ismay-Tilman for the disaster although its duly noted none of them did or said a damn thing at any stage where the disaster could have been avoided.

But its so comforting to know that Rhodes, Reed, and Hervey were all against Tillman all the time, could barely stand the guy, and you know, hate him, just like the fans want.= <taped, canned golf clapping> and all is well in Eskimoland.

AT what point do I wonder do these guys start saying the same thing about Reed? Or Rhodes, or whoever. Who gets in the meat grinder next? It should make anybody sick that Rhodes and Hervey are firmly behind Kavis Reed who removed any doubt that he's incapable of coaching a pro football club.

I could give a **** if the trapdoor opens again and more buffoons meet their end.


At what point do we stop buying that the "next guy" is going to right the ship? It takes zero candor to take shots at the guy that recently departed. It would take guts to point the finger at anybody that remains..

This here needs a fullscale flush. At this point just blow up the entire management and start over. Hire people that actually have specific credentials and experience for which they are hired.
Though I do not expect you to believe me, Replacement, I can speak first hand to Hervey's comments about his relationship with Tillman and his disdain for him from day one being 100% accurate. It is also not secret that just about everyone associated with the Esks were very much against the Ray trade from the start.

Ol' Jase is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:41 PM
  #241
Gord
Go Esks!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,527
vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Here's my concern. First, I think that if Tillman was still here we'd be a better team next year. I think he is a smart man and would've fixed the QB position or at the very least brought in some help there. I also think Reed would've been on a shorter leash and wouldn't be allowed to play Joseph over whoever, to be honest Tillman might've done us all a favour and just never brought back Joseph next year.

So now we have Hervey who more than likely picks up a proven CFL QB, but wouldn't Tillman do the same? Hervey likes Reed, now the leash is longer for Reed who may or may not be the right coach. What happens if we realize Hervey is a horrible GM? Anyone really think he's going to get fired in the next couple years regardless of what the team does? Then you have the whole "new GM who wants to make that mark", what the hell happens when the mark is overpaying for a starting QB which ends up being way worse than the Ray deal?

Don't mind giving Hervey the shot, I just don't like everything else that surrounds this move.
you think tillman would have done a better job next year than hervey will?
you say he is smart and would fix the QB problem. the same QB problem he caused and did NOTHING to fix during the season?
Reed would have been on a shorter leash, by the guy that gave him every job he's had in coaching? Tillman wouldn't allow Joseph to play over whomever is brought in, yet he let joesph play over nicholls all year long this season?
There is nothing Tillman did with the esks that gave any idication he would be an improvement next year if he stayed, and you've provided no insight in your comments to show Tillman would indeed do a better job.

Gord is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:15 PM
  #242
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
In the CFL teams have succeeded with previously inexperienced GMs running things. Head coaches who've had bad seasons have bounced back with better ones. It happens.

This longtime Eskimo season ticket holder as well as the many others I know aren't approving the Esks' latest direction as a result of being spun during a presser or because we are fools with our heads in the sand. We don't even know for sure if Rhodes/Hervey/Reed will succeed. We're hoping for the best just like we did when Maciocia was inexplicably promoted and Tillman was prematurely hired.

It's time to move on now and let the results speak for themselves.
Please know that I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. I would like somebody to explain why they think Hervey is going to be a good fit and do well. I just don't get it which is what I've been saying.

I will admit again to getting tired of hoping for the best.

Replacement is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:17 PM
  #243
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
So you're okay with a guy that's a former coach being promoted to the GM position, but not a guy that's a former pro head scout for a number of years? Hindsight based on a cherry picked case is wonderful, isn't it?
Campbell in every way, shape, and form, was ready for the responsibility and was carefully groomed by an org on top of its game in every way. It was a seamless transition by an excellent org.

This? Who's been telling Hervey how to be a GM. Who's he been learning from? Are these silly questions I'm asking?

ps In fairness to me check through what I was responding to. The OTHER poster specifically mentioned Campbell. I wasn't cherry picking anything. Just responding.


Last edited by Replacement: 12-12-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Replacement is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:20 PM
  #244
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Though I do not expect you to believe me, Replacement, I can speak first hand to Hervey's comments about his relationship with Tillman and his disdain for him from day one being 100% accurate. It is also not secret that just about everyone associated with the Esks were very much against the Ray trade from the start.
No reason for me not to believe you specifically. Shoot me a PM if thats Ok with you and I'll keep any info in confidence.

The only thing I might be critical of is who's the info source, primary, secondary, or tertiary info and so on. What I have seen is a some of the Esks alumni mouthing off about Tillman in the past. if its somebody like that who was cut and has vested interest then the info doesn't pass with me.

ftr I'm not saying I'm right about anything. I'm suspicious of how the Esks are handling things right now.

Replacement is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:24 PM
  #245
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
you think tillman would have done a better job next year than hervey will?
you say he is smart and would fix the QB problem. the same QB problem he caused and did NOTHING to fix during the season?
Reed would have been on a shorter leash, by the guy that gave him every job he's had in coaching? Tillman wouldn't allow Joseph to play over whomever is brought in, yet he let joesph play over nicholls all year long this season?
There is nothing Tillman did with the esks that gave any idication he would be an improvement next year if he stayed, and you've provided no insight in your comments to show Tillman would indeed do a better job.
Hervey is on record saying he's giving Reed an immediate extension and that he's firmly behind Reed and this is his guy, a good guy.

Reed was going to take one between the eyeballs quicker with Trigger Tillman at the helm than Hervey. What we have now is possibly another mutual admiration society.

The management blind loving the blind possibly. Nobody really knowing how to run a pro club. TRouble is with the 3 amigos combined it does take on a look of amateur year coming up.

Replacement is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:51 PM
  #246
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,067
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
you think tillman would have done a better job next year than hervey will?
you say he is smart and would fix the QB problem. the same QB problem he caused and did NOTHING to fix during the season?
Reed would have been on a shorter leash, by the guy that gave him every job he's had in coaching? Tillman wouldn't allow Joseph to play over whomever is brought in, yet he let joesph play over nicholls all year long this season?
There is nothing Tillman did with the esks that gave any idication he would be an improvement next year if he stayed, and you've provided no insight in your comments to show Tillman would indeed do a better job.
You and I both know he couldn't do nothing during the year to fix the Qb issue.

I do think Tillman would've had him on shorter leash. Tillman did what a lot of GM's do and that's let his coach, coach. I said earlier in the year I was okay with this, but if Tillman didn't watch he could be the one to pay for doing this.

Tillman was here for two and a half years. He took the team from 2-8 and finished the year with a 5-3 record and followed it up with 11 and 7 year. So ya I think he could've turned a 7-11 year into a better one next year.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:54 PM
  #247
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,067
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
That's what everyone said after DM was turfed. That they couldn't make another mistake. They needed an experienced guy. Well, they hired the guy who had a wealth of CFL experience. And he ruined our team by trading our QB for magic beans and then capping it off by trading 2 draft picks for a kicker who we didn't need and never played.



I was in favor of the ET hiring. But I had no faith in him by the end of his reign. Way too many bizarre moves on and off the field. As for Hervey favoring Reed, didn't Tillman hire Reed in 3 different places - Ottawa, Sask and Edm? Sounds like he liked the guy a lot and likely would have kept him as coach.
Is our team really in a worse position than when ET started?

2-8 people. Last I checked 7-11 and in the playoffs is a lot better than that.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 04:24 PM
  #248
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Campbell in every way, shape, and form, was ready for the responsibility and was carefully groomed by an org on top of its game in every way. It was a seamless transition by an excellent org.
Campbell's predecessor Norm Kimball had no CFL playing, coaching or even scouting experience when he took over a struggling Esks franchise in 1965. He had worked his way up through the ranks of minor football to an administrative job with the Eskimos. Maybe that's why his club wasn't fully out of the woods until 1972 (the first year of the 34 season playoff streak).

Quote:
Who's been telling Hervey how to be a GM? Who's he been learning from?
For better or worse Hervey has worked under GM's Maciocia and Tillman as a scout. While they weren't specifically grooming him for their job (Why would they?), he got to observe how they run a team. He has also maintained an excellent relationship with well-respected Eskimo player personnel head Paul Jones (who had the title of GM late in the Campbell era even though Hugh was still doing much of the job). Hervey has said in interviews that he has regular conversations with Hugh Campbell and Don Matthews (who brought him here as a player as part of a rebuild in 1999)- 2 pretty good resources for CFL knowledge. Finally it's not outrageous to assume that Ed's picked up a lot of useful contacts and allies in his 13 years in the CFL- especially since retiring as a player and travelling around North America as a scout.

The last thing that reassures me somewhat about Ed Hervey is his stated reasoning for not getting into coaching. He has said that he doesn't have the right temperment to succeed at that job. Hervey doesn't seem like the type to accept a job that he isn't suited for or one that he doesn't think he's ready to do. Again, there are no guarantees here but I am comfortable at the moment with this hiring despite that.

abootzky is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
  #249
Gord
Go Esks!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,527
vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You and I both know he couldn't do nothing during the year to fix the Qb issue.

I do think Tillman would've had him on shorter leash. Tillman did what a lot of GM's do and that's let his coach, coach. I said earlier in the year I was okay with this, but if Tillman didn't watch he could be the one to pay for doing this.

Tillman was here for two and a half years. He took the team from 2-8 and finished the year with a 5-3 record and followed it up with 11 and 7 year. So ya I think he could've turned a 7-11 year into a better one next year.
tillman did what no GM's do. that is let his coach be the defacto GM.
I would say you are wrong in your statement that he let his coach, coach.
Mr. Reed seemed to have to do a heck of a lot more than coach, keeping him from being able to focus on his job. under Hervey, Reed can now do that.

I honestly don't see how you think Tillman did such a good job and would do a good job next year. doesn't matter. he's gone now, and hopefully gone from the league for good.

Gord is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 04:52 PM
  #250
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,067
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
tillman did what no GM's do. that is let his coach be the defacto GM.
I would say you are wrong in your statement that he let his coach, coach.
Mr. Reed seemed to have to do a heck of a lot more than coach, keeping him from being able to focus on his job. under Hervey, Reed can now do that.

I honestly don't see how you think Tillman did such a good job and would do a good job next year. doesn't matter. he's gone now, and hopefully gone from the league for good.
I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. We were 2 and 8 before he came. People are failing to realize just how bad this club was.

joestevens29 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.