HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Most Valuable Post-expansion Franchise

Old
11-30-2012, 03:28 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Once the Sedins retire we'll have Jensen, and Kassian soon becoming everyone's favourite players IMO. Along with the fact we will likely have Burrows and Kesler still too. People want to see these players, and I doubt once the Sedins retire we fall out of the playoff picture completely.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:27 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
will be interesting to see what effect the sedin's retirement will have. don't see the fans supporting an inferior product like toronto's fans have
If we had 2x the population and a FAR bigger corporate base in this city the arena would be full, inferior or not. I'd like to congratulate myself on not pointing out the Sedin apostrophe abuse.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:31 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Once the Sedins retire we'll have Jensen, and Kassian soon becoming everyone's favourite players IMO. Along with the fact we will likely have Burrows and Kesler still too. People want to see these players, and I doubt once the Sedins retire we fall out of the playoff picture completely.
No offense to Jensen or Kassian but they have not proven to be NHLers let alone have star power.

Tanev is our best young Dman and he is a 2nd pairing complementary guy a best. We have a few but no standouts you see leading a team.

Centre is train wreck - Schroeder and Gaunce means the team is lottery fodder if they are your top 2 centres.

Betting on an old Burrows and injury ravaged Kesler to be able to carry the team in 4-5 years is very optimistic.

The existing D might last that long but big chunks it'll be at the age you need serious renewal. Edler or bust.

The only bright spot is goal, assuming Schneider doesn't leave as a UFA in 3 years if the team looks done.

Based on what we have in the cupboard we are in for a world of hurt once the core burns out. It'll take a heap of amazing drafts and some great UFA signings to even be a playoff team.

Last edited by me2: 11-30-2012 at 09:53 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Chicago supports a team that hasn't won a title in 100+ yers
I was just kidding.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 12-01-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
No offense to Jensen or Kassian but they have not proven to be NHLers let alone have star power.

Tanev is our best young Dman and he is a 2nd pairing complementary guy a best. We have a few but no standouts you see leading a team.

Centre is train wreck - Schroeder and Gaunce means the team is lottery fodder if they are your top 2 centres.

Betting on an old Burrows and injury ravaged Kesler to be able to carry the team in 4-5 years is very optimistic.

The existing D might last that long but big chunks it'll be at the age you need serious renewal. Edler or bust.

The only bright spot is goal, assuming Schneider doesn't leave as a UFA in 3 years if the team looks done.

Based on what we have in the cupboard we are in for a world of hurt once the core burns out. It'll take a heap of amazing drafts and some great UFA signings to even be a playoff team.
A lot of doom and gloom here. Sure, if all our prospects fall flat on their face we're going to suck... there's also a chance they all exceed expectations and we roll right into another great period for the franchise. Best bet is probably somewhere in the middle.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
DL44

vCash: 297
Vancouver's value ranking will drop back to around 8-9-10 ranking once Luongo is gone.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:10 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
A lot of doom and gloom here. Sure, if all our prospects fall flat on their face we're going to suck... there's also a chance they all exceed expectations and we roll right into another great period for the franchise. Best bet is probably somewhere in the middle.
The problem is not if our prospects fall flat we will suck, the problem is that even if they don't the will suck. Tomorrow's problems will have to be solved by future moves and drafts.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Scurr

Quote:
The problem is not if our prospects fall flat we will suck, the problem is that even if they don't the will suck. Tomorrow's problems will have to be solved by future moves and drafts.

xxxx Kesler Kassian

xxxx Schroeder Jensen

xxxx Gaunce Hansen

xxxx Mallett xxxxx

Edler Garrison

xxxx Tanev

Schneider/Lack

I feel like we could fill a good team around that, even if some of those guys don't end up reaching those heights. IMO Kesler, Edler, Garrison, Schneider is a solid second core to build around, and we're talking about 4 or 5 years to add to that.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:49 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Interesting...the team has certainly turned around from a "quarter and phone call away" from being moved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
In retrospect, we know Burke was full of it. We just have to witness the gong show in Glendale to know that.
yeah, i can't believe the NHL would have let the canucks move, even in the darkest days of the asia financial crash and the crappy canadian dollar. i mean, that's basically throwing future money away. it was clear to everyone that this city had both the passion for the game and the financial base to bounce back and basically print money for the hockey team. the only surprise, i think, is that calgary has ended up building its own financial base to the point where if a few years from now they have a competitive team, that team could be worth more than the canucks.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Chicago supports a team that hasn't won a title in 100+ yers and Toronto is Toronto.
The Cubs are a special case, the fans have even stopped caring about results. Normal sports teams see their attendance numbers rise and fall depending on how well they play, in the Cubs case, their attendance numbers are influenced more by the beer price that particular season.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:35 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:

I agree that it's unlikely that Jensen or Kassian will be able to replace the Sedins for star power, but in this case the city itself is an asset. Depending on how the NHL looks after this current Lockout debacle is over, as a desirable location for Free Agents all Vancouver needs is the cap space to be in play for good free agents. Now of course this is no guarantee but if the Sedins were to just retire at the end of their contracts there's a good chance we could do something with that extra $12 million cap room.

Also, pretty much every seasons you see at least one big name star player fall out of favour with his current team and get traded. And it doesn't always come down to who has the best assets for trade, sometimes it's just having your team in the right time and place to accommodate a disgruntled star player.

Neither of these are immediate fixtures, and you may have to wait a season or two to get the right guys, but the point is there's a number of avenue's open for the team to remain competitive once the Sedin's leave. It's no guarantee but if you combine each potential solution as a whole odds are Gillis will be able to figure something out to keep the team competitive.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Chicago supports a team that hasn't won a title in 100+ yers and Toronto is Toronto.
Slightly off topic, watch Catching Hell if you ever get a chance.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
The Cubs are a special case, the fans have even stopped caring about results. Normal sports teams see their attendance numbers rise and fall depending on how well they play, in the Cubs case, their attendance numbers are influenced more by the beer price that particular season.
I disagree. The CUbs have been a pretty good team in the recent past (see: Alfonso Soriano years) and I think they are looking forward to the years of the future much like the Leafs. Also apparently they are supposed to win the WS in 2015 according to Rob Zemeckis.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote