HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Blunder: Cornerback Roulette

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 05:21 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
O-Line continues to shuffle due to injuries. MT says DeCastro will start at RG and Foster will move to LG. Mike Adams is still out.
Sucks that Colon is out, but I won't miss his multiple penalties.

I could potentially see the O-Line look like this.

Adams-xxxxx-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I do think Adams can and will grow into a solid LT. I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket just yet though. I'd keep bringing Starks back as insurance. He's been solid. Although Adams obviously has much greater upside.

I'm not sure what they'll do with Colon. The cap is complicated and they may be better off keeping him for another year if there's too much dead money created by cutting him. Ramon Foster has also played well this season.

Also, Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen are both a little dinged up with hip flexor injuries. Sounds like Lewis will likely play and Allen is a little more iffy. That could mean DVD and Victorian get playing time or more playing time in the case of Victorian since he played last week. Getting scary back there. They better hope Dez don't play or at least can't be effective if he does play.

I know MT said the Steelers will likely have to change the way they play D to compensate for what the current CB's are and aren't capable of. Finding out pretty quickly how important Ike is despite his stone hands and rare meltdowns like last years Denver playoff game.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:00 PM
sniugneP

We still make playoffs if we lose to Dallas and win against Bengals and Browns. We win the tiebreaker with Cincy for head to head.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
from FB ....

Steel City Buzz
The Steelers have suspended Rashard Mendenhall for 1 game for conduct detrimental to the team. To fill his spot for this week, they have activated Baron Batch from the practice squad.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:37 PM
bradshaw06

Yeah, he won't be back next year

Old
12-11-2012, 06:42 PM
sniugneP

Pretty much guarantee that he won't be back. Really disappointing given he was a first rounder.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:43 PM
DJ Spinoza

If they could somehow get teams into a bidding war, smuggling Porcelo out of Detroit for Hanrahan would be pretty nice. Boesch is more of a wild card, and would probably clog up the OF even more, rather than help. I don't know enough about Detroit's prospects to judge his ceiling.

I'm very hesitant to take finances into consideration as a means to dump Hanrahan. Simply put, closers aren't worth dumping a ton of money on. With Grilli in the fold, it makes a ton of baseball sense to add a quality depth SP for the year. It will help bridge the gap while we wait for Cole's possible debut, and alleviate pressure on the younger pitchers in the mean time. We all remember how important Correia became last year. If we add a SP, best case scenario is that we have an injury-free, successful year and can think about flipping one of the pitchers at the deadline to fill a minor lead.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:10 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Pretty much guarantee that he won't be back. Really disappointing given he was a first rounder.
Maybe Mendenhall can enlighten us on how we shouldn't hate somebody that we never heard speak and that we only know one side of the story.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Sounds like someone New England picks up and magically gets rid of all personal demons. But yeah, sounds like Tomlin has had his fill of RM.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:17 AM
SidGenoMario

What did Mendenhall do?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
What did Mendenhall do?
According to the PG he didn't show up for last week's game after he was told that he wasn't going to be active.

He wasn't going to play regardless, but it's generally required that healthy scratches be there. That's like a starting pitcher in baseball only showing up for games he starts.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Just Mendy being his usual immature self. The team is clinging to the last playoff spot and all he can think about is himself. He may not like his role but this isn't the playground. You can't just take your ball and go home, it's a job and you're supposed to be a pro, be mature and show up.

I also always loathed picking a RB in the 1st round. It's just too easy to find solid runners later in the draft or even undrafted.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:14 AM
JTG

I think Colon is a decent LG. Elite run blocking, OK pass blocking, and takes way too many penalties. I think we could keep him plugged in there and be fine.

I'd like to see us take another tackle in the draft, and finally end Max Starks being brought back every year. I think Gilbert could be a decent swing man for us, and Adams and the new draftee can sort of who plays the right and left side. I think Adams did fine on the right, but would probably do better on the left.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:19 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I also always loathed picking a RB in the 1st round. It's just too easy to find solid runners later in the draft or even undrafted.
I'm not against it, as I think you find the dynamic runners in the first round. The guy has to be pretty special to warrant a pick there.

I do sort of believe though that the 2nd/3rd round is a good place to find guys like Rice, Charles, and MJD.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:46 AM
sniugneP

Running backs in first round would have be average over 1200 a year. Few guys like Peterson are worth a first round pick.

I'm not really a fan of drafting a RB in top 10 like Richardson last year. It's a reach pick, IMO.

There is no running back worth taking in first round for 2013 draft. Most of them are 2nd-4th round potential.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'm not saying you never draft a RB in round one. I would have drafted AP like sniugneP said but guys like that are ultra rare and the difference between what you usually get from a 1st round RB is not that different from what you can get out of guys that go much later. The shelf life also is too short for my liking. You draft Duane Brown in 2008 and you would have had your franchise LT for the next 10 years.

2008 draft was a total disaster. Worst in the Colbert era.

1. Rashard Mendenhall Illinois (solid but not worth that pick)
2. Limas Sweed Texas (total bust)
3. Bruce Davis UCLA (total bust)
4. Tony Hills Texas (career backup tackle)
5. Dennis Dixon Oregon (fringe NFL backup QB)
6. Mike Humpal Iowa (bust)
6. Ryan Mundy West Virginia (career backup safety)

Old
12-12-2012, 08:51 AM
sniugneP

Yeah, definitely worst draft class by Colbert.

Mendenhall might be a worst first rounder ever picked by Colbert which isn't that bad. He had a lot of success in drafting first rounders.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:58 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Mendenhall is still what 24 or 25? This year is not typical for him IMO. He'll start for someone next year and be a 1,000 yd rusher.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Mendy is 25 (June 19, 1987). He's a good player. I don't think anybody is disputing that part. I'd certainly say he's been an underachiever but that's partly due to two major injuries (shoulder and ACL) but even when healthy he hasn't played to his potential. He has the physical tools to be an elite back but has always been just a good one. There's a chance he'll figure things out but RB's tend to peek pretty early and usually decline earlier than most position too. It's part of the whole short shelf life of the position.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:46 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Reds picked up Shin Shoo Choo in a 3-team trade. They're looking pretty unbeatable within the division, though I'm sure the Cards will be there as usual.

In that same trade Trevor Bauer, (Gerritt Cole's old teammate drafted just a few spots behind him) traded to the Indians. Very interesting/surprising.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Mendenhall is still what 24 or 25? This year is not typical for him IMO. He'll start for someone next year and be a 1,000 yd rusher.
Whatever Mendenhall does elsewhere next year and in years to come, he never would have done here. Way too much bad blood and seeming outright hostility from both sides. Classic case of a guy who is in desperate need of a fresh new start. I agree, he will do well elsewhere and a bunch of yinzers will point to his stats and complain about Steeler management. But this is akin to the James Neal and Matt Niskanen trade to the Penguins for Alex Goligoski. Neither Neal but especially Niskanen were going to do in Dallas what they did in Pittsburgh. Good for us to 'win' that trade, but Dallas keeping especially Niskanen would have been a loss for them. Unfortunately the Steelers are on the other side of that equation with Mendenhall right now.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Reds picked up Shin Shoo Choo in a 3-team trade. They're looking pretty unbeatable within the division, though I'm sure the Cards will be there as usual.

In that same trade Trevor Bauer, (Gerritt Cole's old teammate drafted just a few spots behind him) traded to the Indians. Very interesting/surprising.
Arizona got bent over Kansas City style in that trade. Almost scary how little it took to get him from the Diamondbacks. We arent deep at all at SS but seems like we couldve thrown something at them in the same ballpark. Wouldve been nice especially if you adhere to the mantra where you can't have enough #1 ace potential arms in the system.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:24 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:

No salary cap is why I hate the MLB. How are we supposed to keep up with the Dodgers, who are spending $285 million next season on players? It's disgusting that some teams spend that much to buy fans while others barely hit $50 million.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:35 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Arizona got bent over Kansas City style in that trade. Almost scary how little it took to get him from the Diamondbacks. We arent deep at all at SS but seems like we couldve thrown something at them in the same ballpark. Wouldve been nice especially if you adhere to the mantra where you can't have enough #1 ace potential arms in the system.
Yeah, some truly baffling moves by the Royals and DBacks. GMs trying to save their jobs at the expense of the long-term fortunes of the team?

Old
12-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I've always thought Bauer was insanely overrated, but that's just ridiculous.

The only positive thing about this from a Pirates POV is that the Reds don't have an actual center fielder now. They're moving Bruce over there, but that should open up the outfield a bit for opposing batters. Of course replacing a guy who had a .610 OPS last year with Choo more than makes up for that.

Quote:
Yeah, some truly baffling moves by the Royals and DBacks. GMs trying to save their jobs at the expense of the long-term fortunes of the team?
Dayton Moore...most definitely. Kevin Towers? Notsomuch. The main guy they acquired has 68 games above AA in his career. Gregorius isn't too likely to step into the Diamondbacks line-up and give them solid numbers. Hell, he probably won't ever give anyone solid numbers...they dearly overpaid for a glove.

Thank God we have Hanson in the system. This goes to show you just how much value short stops can have in this league...well, at least when you're talking to a Littlefield-level moron like Towers.

edit: On the Steelers...David Gilreath is back with the team after Tampa Bay cut him. He's back on the practice squad (shich also added WR Moye again and a new CB, Isaiah Green from Fresno State...WR Bert Reed was released). Gilreath wasn't activated for either game he spent with the Buccaneers.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 12-12-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Closed Thread