HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs odds of 1st overall Pick with no season

Old
12-02-2012, 05:26 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
Then eliminate teams that won cups by being allowed to draft the best players in qmjhl
That leaves Montreal out
Montreal owned all of those teams when they took all their own players not drafted.They gave that right of ownership and the right to draft the first two players from the Q,in 1969 to help with the expansion.Buffalo reaped the Gilbert Perreault train due to Montreal's gift to the NHL,and so many other teams since like Pittsburgh and Mario Lemieux.The list of players and the benefits the NHL has gained from that gift,would be near impossible to fathom,thanks is what should be offered by hockey fans worldwide not derision.Hoorah Habs!

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:17 PM
VL55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
Then eliminate teams that won cups by being allowed to draft the best players in qmjhl
That leaves Montreal out
When will this myth die!

We were NEVER allowed to draw the best french canadians players. We, during some periods, were allowed to draft the best unsigned players (the famous'C Form'). Before the universal draft, unly shrubs remained available at the draft, all the good players had been signed in their teens. Bobby Orr was signed as early as 12!

I think we drafted 28 players unders such 'privilege'. The only one whe ever played more than 100 games for the habs is Rejean Houle.

The reason we had so many great players before the universal draft, fench or otherwise, is because we were the best at the 'C Form' hunting game, having a humongous farm system.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
If it is the same as 2005, every team starts with 3 balls, and has 1 taken away for every post season they've made, and every 1st overall pick they've had in the last 3 years. Nobody could have less than 1. Montreal would have 1 ball, and a 2% chance of winning the lottery.

http://www.dirtydangle.com/2012/07/w...tery-look.html

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:05 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Getting first overall next year isn't that important. Anything in the top8 would suffice.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Getting first overall next year isn't that important. Anything in the top8 would suffice.
I'd prefer Nathan MacKinnon

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Lebowski

I personally don't see the first overall as any superior to the 3rd overall in this draft. I'd be happy with any of them, and it might actually be easier as a fan to have the 3rd overall so we could simply take who's left from Mac, Jones and Barkov.

Then there's Monahan, Drouin, Shinkaruk etc...

If we can get a top 7 pick, we should be able to get another Galyenchuk-quality prospect. That's all I'm asking for.

So technically, the odds of us landing a blue-chip prospect are much higher than 2%.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:50 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'd prefer Nathan MacKinnon
Wouldn't bother me at all if we have to settle for, oh, Barkov, Jones, Drouin, Shinkaruk or even that Ristolainen dude and some others I forget. The top players of this draft are all awesome.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Wouldn't bother me at all if we have to settle for, oh, Barkov, Jones, Drouin, Shinkaruk or even that Ristolainen dude and some others I forget. The top players of this draft are all awesome.
There is no point to argue.. if we can get the 1st its even better. Better aim high than low.

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:11 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
It is idiotic for the NHL to have a draft after a cancelled season, as the draft is based on standings for the previous season, as it should be. No other system can possibly be fair.

I know there may be complications, but if they cancel the season, they should simply cancel the 2013 draft, and double the number of rounds in 2014.

Draft picks through trades should be honoured, for both 2013 and 2014, in the same year.

Any other solution, as in 2005, is unfair and idiotic.

You can bet the NHL will not do this, they should, but the league is a joke.
One thing is for sure, the NHL is ran by Americans so a Canadian team has a snow balls chance of getting first overall. Just imagine how much chance the country of Quebec has of getting it.

shack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:54 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
When will this myth die!

We were NEVER allowed to draw the best french canadians players. We, during some periods, were allowed to draft the best unsigned players (the famous'C Form'). Before the universal draft, unly shrubs remained available at the draft, all the good players had been signed in their teens. Bobby Orr was signed as early as 12!

I think we drafted 28 players unders such 'privilege'. The only one whe ever played more than 100 games for the habs is Rejean Houle.

The reason we had so many great players before the universal draft, fench or otherwise, is because we were the best at the 'C Form' hunting game, having a humongous farm system.
Houle and Marc Tardif were the last two drafted in 1969,Gilles Tremblay,Bobby Rousseau,Jacques Lemaire Serge Savard all on C forms and played lots more than 100 games.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:59 AM
PricePkPatch

There is one thing, tho. I don't really care about 1st overall, for I am sure Timmins would not be picking the player everybody expects to be the #1.

I mean, we all know he'd have picked Galchenyuk in the 2012 draft anyway, even if we had had the #1. Above the wonder kid everybody though would be the uncontested overall #1; Yakupov.

Do you seriously think Timmins genuinely grades McKinnon as the #1?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:07 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
There is one thing, tho. I don't really care about 1st overall, for I am sure Timmins would not be picking the player everybody expects to be the #1.

I mean, we all know he'd have picked Galchenyuk in the 2012 draft anyway, even if we had had the #1. Above the wonder kid everybody though would be the uncontested overall #1; Yakupov.

Yes. MacKinnon has everything Timmins looks for in a player.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:08 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yes. MacKinnon has everything Timmins looks for in a player.
Explain

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Jabrony

Quote:

lol stop acting as if you knew everything. You have no clue of what Timmin's gonna do and that's a fact. As for Galchenyuk, he might have gone 1st overall anyway if it wasn't for his injury

Jabrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:34 PM
MaxLacoste

What I cannot believe is that Columbus will have 3 first round picks in 2013!! With luck, they could build a winning team with only one draft.

But like said above, I could settle for every player in the top 15. So much talent in that draft.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:37 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Its possible

Timmins isn't a hipster, he'll pick the best player he thinks is best wether he's ''mainstream'' or not

Still in this draft all we need is a top8 pick and even later we might get the chance to a guy who fell for no reason or was overlooked in favor of other players. Every draft we're surprised at how some teams (Islanders, Phoenix, Colombus ect.) select some dudes completely out of no were with top picks, leaving perfectly good players to be picked later (like Couturier, Forsberg, Grigorenko, ect). I'm also confident we are going to do wonders with all those 2nd rounders, either to trade up or to pick some sleeper picks Timmins has located. The 2nd round and late first is were Timmins makes his best finds.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 12-12-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Its possible

Timmins isn't a hipster, he'll pick the best player he thinks is best wether he's ''mainstream'' or not
One of the best post I've seen in HF history, can I put it in my signature?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:05 AM
MauditGreek*
Shhh, Be Careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
One thing is for sure, the NHL is ran by Americans so a Canadian team has a snow balls chance of getting first overall. Just imagine how much chance the country of Quebec has of getting it.
I am guessing about as much of a chance as the country of:

Ontario
Alberta
British Columbia
New York
Texas
Florida
Hamilton...

Wait! what's that you say? those aren't countries? pish posh!

MauditGreek* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Frolov rumor guy with some tweets on what could happen if no season after checking in with someone at the NHL:

https://twitter.com/PatrickCaisse

Patrick Caisse ‏@PatrickCaisse
Aussi, un membre de la #LNH m'indique qu'il n'y aurait p-e même pas de loterie. Si oui, ce ne sera p-e pas le même système qu'en 2005.

@darknngel La LNH n'est pas rendue là, mais le classement de 2011-12 serait l'une des options étudiées.

@darknngel Le classement pourrait aussi être établi avec une moyenne des trois dernières saisons. Pls. possibilités.

In short, nothing determined. Maybe not even have a lottery and they just use the 2011-12 standings. Or if there is a lottery, not the same system as in 2005. Or maybe the same thing as 2005.

If they are using the 2011-12 standings, cancel the season NOW.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:27 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Frolov rumor guy with some tweets on what could happen if no season after checking in with someone at the NHL:

Aussi, un membre de la #LNH m'indique qu'il n'y aurait p-e même pas de loterie. Si oui, ce ne sera p-e pas le même système qu'en 2005.

@darknngel La LNH n'est pas rendue là, mais le classement de 2011-12 serait l'une des options étudiées.

@darknngel Le classement pourrait aussi être établi avec une moyenne des trois dernières saisons. Pls. possibilités.

In short, nothing determined. Maybe not even have a lottery and they just use the 2011-12 standings. Or if there is a lottery, not the same system as in 2005. Or maybe the same thing as 2005.

**** yeah!

cancel her up!

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:32 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Let me add my two cents!

PhysicX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:56 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

But Frolov never got traded to the Habs, so that means that they never will do what he is suggesting

For real though, if that was the case, cancel her up instead of giving us false hopes every couple of weeks

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:23 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

i would love them to use the 2011-2012 standings but....

Would really piss me off to see edmonton get another top 3 pick. Would be disgusting.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Bullsmith

Why 3 years?

Personally I prefer one year. I feel teams that finished out of the playoffs 3 years in a row already have 3 shots at exciting prospects better orgs didn't have. But if you're going to go back and even things out, why not go back to the last lockout? Or 10 years? Or 5? Why is 3 the magic number?

Someone came up with it. There should be a rationale, however slim. Or, more likely, this is the NHL and they just pulled 3 years out of their butts.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:10 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Why 3 years?

Personally I prefer one year. I feel teams that finished out of the playoffs 3 years in a row already have 3 shots at exciting prospects better orgs didn't have. But if you're going to go back and even things out, why not go back to the last lockout? Or 10 years? Or 5? Why is 3 the magic number?

Someone came up with it. There should be a rationale, however slim. Or, more likely, this is the NHL and they just pulled 3 years out of their butts.
We'rd 3rd overall if it's based on 2011-2012 standings.

However, over the past 3 seasons we've had 78, 96, and 88 points, for an average of 87.33 points, we would draft approximately 11th overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i would love them to use the 2011-2012 standings but....

Would really piss me off to see edmonton get another top 3 pick. Would be disgusting.
Edmonton has been that bad.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote