HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Old
12-07-2012, 01:58 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Not to say that Galchenyuk isn't exceptional, but it's worth noting that Strome is only 6 months older.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Sure, but is a full year behind in terms of developmental years. Which I value as more important.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I dont think he will be traded, if the lockout continues they have the best center and defenceman in the CHL, also a top player in Ritchie. They also have Theoret who is a good underrated player. If anything I think they would try and add a couple players. If they trade Strome would think Hamilton and Ritchie would be moved aswell. Owen Sound could use all 3 of those guys.
I think they get traded for the following reasons...

1- They need better goaltending and depth... just cost too much to get all the pieces they need.

2- They could get a kings ransom for both... trade Strome to one team for boat load of picks/prospects... trade Dougie for same

3- In 2-3 years supposed to be new building for the Dogs, they want to win it or have a highly competitive team than (think Gaterode complex holds 3000 or so, new building is more than double)

All those added together I think they get traded... Dogs can get max value and be set to go for it all in a few years when new arena is in place.

Just my thoughts as a Ice Dogs fan.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
I think they get traded for the following reasons...

1- They need better goaltending and depth... just cost too much to get all the pieces they need.

2- They could get a kings ransom for both... trade Strome to one team for boat load of picks/prospects... trade Dougie for same

3- In 2-3 years supposed to be new building for the Dogs, they want to win it or have a highly competitive team than (think Gaterode complex holds 3000 or so, new building is more than double)

All those added together I think they get traded... Dogs can get max value and be set to go for it all in a few years when new arena is in place.

Just my thoughts as a Ice Dogs fan.
As a season ticket holder and fan aswell I would not be opposed to moving both but I am not so sure it happens. Any idea if Hamilton has a NTC? I am thinking he may

They are definetly no where near contending with a defence of Hamilton, Graham, Kelly, Shipley, Rover, Mercer, and Hayden though if you ask me.

Anyways this is a Strome thread not a Ice Dogs

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:28 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Not surprising, but Strome is HF's Prospect of the Month for November.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-november-2012

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Sure, but is a full year behind in terms of developmental years. Which I value as more important.
Actually closer to two years with Galchenyuk missing almost all of last season.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

The Unnatural

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware

Point streak snapped ! That's what happens when you play the unstoppable Knights

Leafs at Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 163
Damn..

He'll probably answer back with a 3-4 point game.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:41 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
outside of Ritchie, Strome, and Hamilton yes they are quite bleak. They have a couple young guys who look promising, and guys like Graham, Theoret, and Shipley are solid OHL players. They could contend if they added 2-3 good OHL players.
What is up with Jesse Graham this year, thought he would see more of a progression offensively but seems to have regressed.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:52 AM
KrisBeKreame

How do other people feel Strome will tansition to the NHL? I honestly think we will see something similar to Seguin. He will start out on wing and adjust to producing offense before they try him at center. It wont be the same as what happened with Bailey as there is considerably more talent on the roster now. Also he will not have to be the 1C for his first couple of years.

Who do people around here expect him be comparable to when he breaks in?

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:27 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
How do other people feel Strome will tansition to the NHL? I honestly think we will see something similar to Seguin. He will start out on wing and adjust to producing offense before they try him at center. It wont be the same as what happened with Bailey as there is considerably more talent on the roster now. Also he will not have to be the 1C for his first couple of years.

Who do people around here expect him be comparable to when he breaks in?
In the past I've mentioned Eberle as a comparable.

Seguin may be a real apt comparable though. Wouldn't mind a nice, slow learning-the-ropes 22 point, Stanley Cup ring rookie year.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
patrick

Am I the only Isles fan with little faith in Strome?

Every time I see him play he looks like a soft perimeter guy. I don't know if he projects well as a center and may be better on the wing. I just would like to see more toughness out of him. Hopefully Tavares rubs off on him.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:32 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
Am I the only Isles fan with little faith in Strome?

Every time I see him play he looks like a soft perimeter guy. I don't know if he projects well as a center and may be better on the wing. I just would like to see more toughness out of him. Hopefully Tavares rubs off on him.
You do realize that he's still just 19 years old, right? He's still no physical specimen. The question with him revolves around his physical maturity and development IMO. The talent is there and he's been showing it since being drafted.

I think after a year at Bridgeport to get acclimated to the professional game, he'll be that legit #2C that the Isles have been looking for. Frans could then slot into his #3C and we're not that bad up the middle. Brock Nelson could make some noise too so Strome has got some serious competition - a good thing.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:47 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
You do realize that he's still just 19 years old, right? He's still no physical specimen. The question with him revolves around his physical maturity and development IMO. The talent is there and he's been showing it since being drafted.

I think after a year at Bridgeport to get acclimated to the professional game, he'll be that legit #2C that the Isles have been looking for. Frans could then slot into his #3C and we're not that bad up the middle. Brock Nelson could make some noise too so Strome has got some serious competition - a good thing.
I think some people look at Strome's size and make their judgements without watching how he actually plays. He's a very smart and crafty player. He reads the play extremely well in the offensive zone and seems to always find himself in the right spot. He doesn't really have to play physical to be effective. He's strong on his skates as well, and after some NHL growing pains I don't think he'll get knocked around too much.

As far as his future with the Islanders goes, I think he'd be suited pretty well playing between two somewhat big wingers. Something like Niederreiter or Nelson on the left and Okposo on the right. Guys more suited to do the dirty work along the boards, or set up shop in front of the net while Strome creates a play. I think as long as he's put into the right situation from day one, he'll have a successful career(working alongside Tavares in the offseason and practice won't hurt either).

My prediction: Strome will never wear a BST sweater.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:00 PM
patrick

[QUOTE=PWJunior;59569421]You do realize that he's still just 19 years old, right? He's still no physical specimen. The question with him revolves around his physical maturity and development IMO. The talent is there and he's been showing it since being drafted./QUOTE]

He is not playing against NHL sized players. You do realize that, right?
I've been fortunate enough to see him play in about 20 games this year between Niagara and the WJC and I'm not as concerned with his talent or size as much as I am with his style and how it will translate to the NHL.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:14 PM
patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think some people look at Strome's size and make their judgements without watching how he actually plays. He's a very smart and crafty player. He reads the play extremely well in the offensive zone and seems to always find himself in the right spot. He doesn't really have to play physical to be effective. He's strong on his skates as well, and after some NHL growing pains I don't think he'll get knocked around too much.

I think some people look at junior stats and project them to the NHL. There really is no need for the patronizing tone. I've likely seen more of Strome than most other Islander fans. It's not so much that he is not physical rather he shies from contact and seems to like to avoid getting his nose dirty. I hope I'm wrong but I fear he is a guy that will be more Craig Janney than Butch Goring. Goring was not a guy who was overly physical but he played hard every shift and with a lot more jam than I've seen out of Strome.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:39 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
I think some people look at junior stats and project them to the NHL. There really is no need for the patronizing tone. I've likely seen more of Strome than most other Islander fans. avoid getting his nose dirtIt's not so much that he is not physical rather he shies from contact and seems to like to y. I hope I'm wrong but I fear he is a guy that will be more Craig Janney than Butch Goring. Goring was not a guy who was overly physical but he played hard every shift and with a lot more jam than I've seen out of Strome.
Interesting. Pronman gives Strome props for working hard to improve defensively, his willingness to dig out pucks in defensive-end board battles and his willingness, to pressure opponents on the forecheck.

I guess we'll see in the 2013-2014 training camp.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:17 PM
StrongIslanders90

Strome Junior time is up....Set to turn pro...

Cant wait for him to get to the Island...

will be interesting to see how he is used in BPORT...

Center or Wing....

I would love to see

Nino-Nelson-Strome...

dont think it will happen though

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

Strome had a great debut in AHL tonight.. 1 goal, 1 assist, +2, 3 shots on net, 2 PIM's and was named 1st star... well done.... happy he did well, Ive got real high hopes for him

Skinnyjimmy08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:29 PM
luki here

strome has been used as the 1st line rw (with brock nelson at center) on the sound tigers and looks dominant. Didnt miss a beat, has 4 points after 2 games and looks strong in all 3 zones and along the boards.

2 games is just 2 games though. Hope he keeps it going. Unfortunately the sound tigers wont be making the playoffs, would love to see strome some more this year.

I cant see him making it to the nhl this year.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

They're using him as a RW? Do you think that will continue into the NHL?

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Jester9881

I believe that was the plan all along..... to have him play on the wing alongside Tavares.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:08 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
They're using him as a RW? Do you think that will continue into the NHL?
IMO it could go either way, i dont think anything is set in stone, if set at all. He does have competition within the islander organisation in the form of Brock Nelson for the 2c spot. Considering that Lee, Cizikas and Nielsen are also centers, someone will have to be moved to the wing.

My hunch is that strome will pan out as our best center prospect, earning the 2c spot in the future. It has been pointed out that many centers have spent their first years in the pro's on wing, as it is a easier transition from juniors.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:45 PM
StrongIslanders90

BUMP

Absolute Beast at the isles Prospect game...Was far and away the best and most skilled player on the ice among a group of really talented prospects....

Physically he is ready, so no more issues with his size...

His creativity and offensive IQ is unreal.He may never be as good but he reminds me of #91 on the island...Great skill,great character,and great work ethic....drive to be the best and perform.....

IMO I would like him to atleast star the year in the AHL and if he absolutely shines they mayby call him up ala Hamonic....

that being said the Isles wan him to start his career on the wing so he just might earn a spot out of camp....I cant wait for Strome to make an impact on the Island...I wouldn't trade 1 Ryan Strome for 5 Ninos....Kid fits in with the whole "team" aspect of what we are building...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:50 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

#1 C, 75-80 points

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote