HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes Lounge III

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 02:11 PM
XX
... Waiting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Also, my ipod is about broken. It's eight years old and falling apart. I like iTunes and I like iPod. If I don't get an iPhone, I will end up buying an iPod. I really cannot see myself using another MP3 player. I'm too old and crusty to make that switch. iPod use is daily and is important. I understand that with either an iPhone 5 or 4S, I'll be able to use it as a 16G iPod, is that right?

All general chatter, and any input of any kind is more than welcome. I'm totally ignorant and don't know what I want. I'm also a cheapskate and this decision actually does represent a large one for me. Probably more so than most people.
If you web browse, get the biggest screen you are comfortable with. Hint: that means not an iPhone. If you are used to the iPod as a separate entity (yours lasted 8 years? consider yourself lucky) then get whatever form factor iPod you fancy in addition to the phone. I don't know about you, but I generally don't take my phone with me when I use an mp3 player, like to the gym. If I do, having an additional thing to carry isn't a big deal, like at a desk or in your car. I also don't like my mp3 and phone sharing the same battery. I also like being able to use iPod dock media devices or dock it to my computer, and still have my phone separate.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I second what XX says, go with the Note II or the DNA. I don't know much about the DNA but my friend has a Note II and it's sweet. It's also worth "noting" that the Note II has pretty good multitasking, so you could conceivably run two browsers at once while you're surfing and with that big of screen it's actually doable. Any of the phones can double as an MP3 player if you wanted them to but yes if you're that dedicated to iTunes software (dear god why?) you'd need to get an iPhone or another iPod to use it.

btw...you ever check out Spotify for music?

Old
12-07-2012, 03:48 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
How useful is 4G to non WiFi web browsing? Is 4G all over these days, or still in relatively limited areas? I can use 4G with the DNA and the NoteII, I assume, right?

Is the NoteII or DNA so much better than the iPhones that it's worth buying the Android product AND an iPod? Effectively a difference of a few hundred bucks?
4G is a must. Don't get anything that's not 4G. I've got tethering enabled as well, and I use that stuff all the time.

I just got a Samsung S3 (similar to the Note II, just a bit smaller). I'm happy. HD screen, light, not too bulky, fast, it's a nice phone. Keep in mind I'm no fan boy - over the past couple years I've been using iOS, Android and Win Phone 7 equally. Win Phone beats all of them in terms of ease of use, but the app market, maps and Bing search suck ass. iOS maps blow, and I feel like the whole OS just looks outdated. I can't navigate that thing without going nuts. Android is not particularly impressive as an OS, but it gets the job done, Google apps are top-notch, you get tons of device options and a huge app market. For now, clear winner IMO.

I've moved away from iTunes and switched to Amazon MP3 about a year ago. Uploaded all my existing music to Amazon Cloud Drive, and I can stream or download it all using the Amazon Cloud Player. Mp3 store selection is fantastic, prices are low, and the music plays on all my devices. If all you care about on your iPod is listening to music, I highly, highly recommend switching to Amazon. No need for an iPod, your phone is all you'll need. You may have to go through some AAC > MP3 conversions if you hadn't captured as MP3 originally, but that's a one time thing and you'll be happy to be out of Apple's golden cage.

EDIT: as far as the Flash thing is concerned, don't sweat it too much. Even if you get it to run, it'll drain your battery. You're better off without it. I thought it was important when I got my Kindle Fire and Android phone, but in the end I turned it off.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:00 PM
awfulwaffle

I can't comment on anything because I'm an android fan boy(per se). I have the Galaxy S3, and I love it. But I use my phone as an MP3 player as well. I have Sirius XM, so I just use the app when I'm at the gym, I don't upload music to my phone. I have Sprint though, so I can't even comment on the coverage you would get.

My only response would be price and coverage. What coverage were you getting before, and what are you expecting by switching? On top of that, with Sprint my data is unlimited, but I believe other providers charge after a certain amount of data for extra. I'm the only one in my family that doesn't own an Iphone, and they all love their Iphone. Face time is a big commodity with them.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

The other Powerball winning ticket brought in AZ have been claimed and may spark a debate on should or shouldn't those who win the jackpot have the option to not reval who they are to the public.

http://news.yahoo.com/ariz-winners-c...205643807.html

Old
12-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I forgot to add that my impression is that Verizon right now is by far the superior network, it's 4G LTE is quite fast. The main downside to Verizon is cost, they are far more expensive than say T-Mobile (whom I personally use). They are also a bit draconian with their phones (they screwed over their Galaxy Nexus users!!!) but unless you're a tech nerd you're not going to care.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
4G is a must. Don't get anything that's not 4G. I've got tethering enabled as well, and I use that stuff all the time.

I just got a Samsung S3 (similar to the Note II, just a bit smaller). I'm happy. HD screen, light, not too bulky, fast, it's a nice phone. Keep in mind I'm no fan boy - over the past couple years I've been using iOS, Android and Win Phone 7 equally. Win Phone beats all of them in terms of ease of use, but the app market, maps and Bing search suck ass. iOS maps blow, and I feel like the whole OS just looks outdated. I can't navigate that thing without going nuts. Android is not particularly impressive as an OS, but it gets the job done, Google apps are top-notch, you get tons of device options and a huge app market. For now, clear winner IMO.

I've moved away from iTunes and switched to Amazon MP3 about a year ago. Uploaded all my existing music to Amazon Cloud Drive, and I can stream or download it all using the Amazon Cloud Player. Mp3 store selection is fantastic, prices are low, and the music plays on all my devices. If all you care about on your iPod is listening to music, I highly, highly recommend switching to Amazon. No need for an iPod, your phone is all you'll need. You may have to go through some AAC > MP3 conversions if you hadn't captured as MP3 originally, but that's a one time thing and you'll be happy to be out of Apple's golden cage.

EDIT: as far as the Flash thing is concerned, don't sweat it too much. Even if you get it to run, it'll drain your battery. You're better off without it. I thought it was important when I got my Kindle Fire and Android phone, but in the end I turned it off.
I tried a Windows Phone recently and I must admit I came away very impressed. They really are slick little devices but I don't think I could switch to them until they get a better ecosystem in place, it's the main thing holding them back. As for right now though I share your opinion that Android is the one to beat.

btw...how are you liking Amazon cloud service, is it that reliable? What about it's uploading system, last time I checked it was a pain in the ass to upload if you had a really large music collection. That's still the main reason I never migrated to Amazon or Google's music cloud services. These days I just use Spotify for general listening.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:25 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
The other Powerball winning ticket brought in AZ have been claimed and may spark a debate on should or shouldn't those who win the jackpot have the option to not reval who they are to the public.

http://news.yahoo.com/ariz-winners-c...205643807.html
Are you somehow of the opinion that they should be forced to? There's already a high likelihood their lives are forever changed/ruined in certain ways by winning. I know I would have to legally change my name and basically disappear if it ever got out that I had that much money.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:26 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Are you somehow of the opinion that they should be forced to? There's already a high likelihood their lives are forever changed/ruined in certain ways by winning. I know I would have to legally change my name and basically disappear if it ever got out that I had that much money.
Gotta complain about everything, right?

Old
12-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Nope! I agree that anyone who wins any amount of money should be able to have the option to be anonymous or not.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:07 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I tried a Windows Phone recently and I must admit I came away very impressed. They really are slick little devices but I don't think I could switch to them until they get a better ecosystem in place, it's the main thing holding them back. As for right now though I share your opinion that Android is the one to beat.
Microsoft admitted Win Phone 7 was pretty much DOA. They knew the future was Win 8 when Win 7 launched, they knew Win 7 devices couldn't support Win 8, they knew the entire development workflow between Win 7 and Win 8 was going to be radically different, but they needed to get in the game quickly with something, at least to keep OEM relationships with phone makers. So early adopters like myself got kinda hosed.

I've looked at Win 8 on a Nokia Lumia 920 though, and it's really great. Nokia maps fixed the issues I had with Bing / MS maps. The app market selection issue should get resolved. The mere fact that Win 8 RT desktop apps can be moved quickly to Win 8 phone should get some developer support since Win desktop is bound to sell zillions of licenses regardless what Apple sheeps spit out.

Bing still blows though. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
btw...how are you liking Amazon cloud service, is it that reliable? What about it's uploading system, last time I checked it was a pain in the ass to upload if you had a really large music collection. That's still the main reason I never migrated to Amazon or Google's music cloud services. These days I just use Spotify for general listening.
Subscription services are great. Whether it's MS' SkyDrive Music or whatever it is, or Spotify, you just can't beat the convenience. But I'm cheap and don't listen to a ton of music. So uploaded the 30 albums I listen to most often to Amazon (I don't remember it being all that painful), and I've been buying all new music on Amazon MP3 (I only buy a 3 or 4 CDs per year). If you like variety though, subscription is definitely the way to go.

I tried Microsoft's music service for a month (they offer a free 30 day trial), it was pretty great. $10 / mo, great selection. I just don't listen to enough music to justify the expense. But like I said, I'm cheap.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
It's pretty funny. We bought a new car three years ago and my son asked if we had won the lottery (no we hadn't). I told no, but now we have a car payment. Then last year we bought another new car and he asked 'now did you win the lottery?' (no we didn't) and I told him 'no, but now we have two car payments'.

I didn't even know that lottery winners don't have to be named; but if it turns out the winner is one of my relatives and he doesn't tell me, I will not be thrilled about it. I don't care if the world knows who won, but if a blood relative won I really want to know about - especially if it's that cousin that keeps trying to borrow $60 - if that cheapskate won the lottery he can pay me the $300 he owes me now!

Old
12-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
It's pretty funny. We bought a new car three years ago and my son asked if we had won the lottery (no we hadn't). I told no, but now we have a car payment. Then last year we bought another new car and he asked 'now did you win the lottery?' (no we didn't) and I told him 'no, but now we have two car payments'.

I didn't even know that lottery winners don't have to be named; but if it turns out the winner is one of my relatives and he doesn't tell me, I will not be thrilled about it. I don't care if the world knows who won, but if a blood relative won I really want to know about - especially if it's that cousin that keeps trying to borrow $60 - if that cheapskate won the lottery he can pay me the $300 he owes me now!

Sadly the person who didn't want his infomation to be released has been by the lottery and the scum in the media has printed his infomation. I would understand if this guy decided to knockout someone who works in the media.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Ilya Bryzgalov Can’t Take Your Calls Right Now; He’s About To Launch Into Space
Quote:
- Why are not you on the team? You have really a health problem?
- Sorry, but, unfortunately, I'm not ready to talk in detail with the press.
- Why not?
- The thing is that now I am in the Mission Control Center, you wrote about in our last interview. Astronaut suit on me. And you will understand that it disturbs me to communicate.
http://deadspin.com/5967546/ilya-bry...nch-into-space

Old
12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
doaner

It's been a sad day today. We ended up giving up television. It will be for the best. Save some $$$ in the process too.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:55 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
It's been a sad day today. We ended up giving up television. It will be for the best. Save some $$$ in the process too.
It's a smart move. There's nothing that can't be watched for free on the internet, or at any rate for less than the annual cost of tv service.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:08 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
It's a smart move. There's nothing that can't be watched for free on the internet, or at any rate for less than the annual cost of tv service.
Yeah. We have Hulu, Netflix and red box.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Rutkowski

Haven't owned a TV since 2006 and it's one of the best choices I've made. Only thing I would need it for is to watch sport(mainly NHL and the EC and WC in football) live but there's so many ways to do it online now that I miss jack **** by not having one.

Except commercials. I miss all of them and it's awesome. Seriously, you don't know how good for the mind it is to see almost no commercials in your life.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
If it wasn't for sports I would definitely ditch TV and when I say ditch TV I mean it. Switching to Hulu or whatever online alternative to me isn't really "ditching" TV, you're still watching the same stupid ****, just doing it on the cheap. I guess my main beef with TV isn't the cost, I'm just sick of all the dumbed down content.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:14 PM
awfulwaffle

I have tv hooked up because of the roomate, but I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched TV. I have Netflix, and XBOX Live, so I have ESPN through my XBOX that I can watch most sports they show, and catch the replay of games I miss. Seriously, TV is overrated and it's a big money sink. There are better ways to spend the money IMO.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
We are organizing a most handsome player in the league poll tournament for the poll board, could you guys give me 3 of the most handsome players on the team?

We are doing a 68 player tournament and are doing 2 from each team with 8 players as wildcards.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
awfulwaffle

Damnit why didn't we keep pyatt!!!!!!

Old
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
We are organizing a most handsome player in the league poll tournament for the poll board, could you guys give me 3 of the most handsome players on the team?

We are doing a 68 player tournament and are doing 2 from each team with 8 players as wildcards.
The wife's vote goes to OEL.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Of course you must combine the magnificence of both OEL and Doan to make the ultimate man.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Saw an article that picked Shane, he does put in effort to keep his hair clean during warmups...

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/_mobile/...012-shane-doan

Closed Thread