HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 07:32 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
When considering the depth of prospects the Habs have that represented their countries in International competitions,one can only assume that their team in the near future will be a winner.On the Hamilton Bulldogs alone there are 11 players that have represented their countries at the WJHC's.With that level of play,it's only a matter of experience in the AHL before many of those players will move onto the NHL ranks. Hudon,Collberg,Galchenyuk and Bozon are others to young for the AHL,then Kristo and Bennett from the College ranks.Things are bright for the Habs future.
While I like your enthusiasm, it would be nice if these AHL prospect showed how elite they are by winning more games...

Old
12-12-2012, 07:41 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
While I like your enthusiasm, it would be nice if these AHL prospect showed how elite they are by winning more games...
That's two in a row and a team shutout 1-0,I'm happy seeing them coming together as a team.There are some pretty good players on the Bulldogs team IMO and they are rookies,give them a chance to play once through the league.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:51 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
That's two in a row and a team shutout 1-0,I'm happy seeing them coming together as a team.There are some pretty good players on the Bulldogs team IMO and they are rookies,give them a chance to play once through the league.
I'll be more enthusiast when they won't be dead last in their conference, and higher than bottom 3 of the league

Old
12-12-2012, 08:09 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I'll be more enthusiast when they won't be dead last in their conference, and higher than bottom 3 of the league
I guess I'm just a Hab Fanatic during a Lockout season,nah I'm like that all the time.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:10 AM
zzoo

Quote:
When considering the depth of prospects the Habs have that represented their countries in International competitions,one can only assume that their team in the near future will be a winner.On the Hamilton Bulldogs alone there are 11 players that have represented their countries at the WJHC's.With that level of play,it's only a matter of experience in the AHL before many of those players will move onto the NHL ranks. Hudon,Collberg,Galchenyuk and Bozon are others to young for the AHL,then Kristo and Bennett from the College ranks.Things are bright for the Habs future.
I don't mean to discourage you at all. But few months ago, I was as enthusiast and excited as you are now when I think about the prospects that join Bulldogs this year:
- Gallagher: wow, 3 consecutive seasons with more than 40 goals. Had a great pre-season in the previous year. Member of Team Canada Jr.
- Bournival: Member of Team Canada Jr and Memorial Cup.
- Holland: finished #3 or #4 in WHL. I can't wait to see him.
- Then Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis

I was so pumped till ...
Finally, my own expectations and the reality hurt myself, and badly.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:19 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I don't mean to discourage you at all. But few months ago, I was as enthusiast and excited as you are now when I think about the prospects that join Bulldogs this year:
- Gallagher: wow, 3 consecutive seasons with more than 40 goals. Had a great pre-season in the previous year. Member of Team Canada Jr.

I was so pumped till ...
If they're still terrible at the end of the year, I'll be more worried but right now we're less than halfway through the season and the injuries to Leblanc and Geoffrion have definitely not helped out a team that lacks scoring.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:20 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:

I was so pumped till ...
Of course you're the victim of your own expectations. Those expectations were way too high from the sound of things. I guess you can change those expectations based on the fact that the AHL isn't an easy league to perform in for rookies (and that much less for a team with a large number of them) or you can continue to wallow in your own unrealistic expectations.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:19 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
He's listed at 6" 197lbs on the WHL website, i hope it's reliable and he actualy grew an inch. We need a recent photo of him standing next to Dietz.
At the draft combine he was measured at 5’11.75″ 200 lbs, so I'd say that's definitely accurate.

Speaking of Thrower, he's definitely heating up. He was fantastic last night. Both of his assists came from slapshots that ended up in the back of the net. He looked very confident with and without the puck. Hopefully he keeps up the great play.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
At the draft combine he was measured at 5’11.75″ 200 lbs, so I'd say that's definitely accurate.

Speaking of Thrower, he's definitely heating up. He was fantastic last night. Both of his assists came from slapshots that ended up in the back of the net. He looked very confident with and without the puck. Hopefully he keeps up the great play.
3 pts his his last 3 games if Im not wrong and most importantly, 3 wins in 3 games since he is back..

Old
12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

I was so pumped till ...
They are all rookies. Just like, for the most part, in their respective leagues, they took their time to come in, learn, and produce. These guys aren't generational talents or elite talents, they are great players, but they need to time to develop, adjust and learn.

This isn't the junior leagues where there are 4-5 guys who might make the Pros after their careers are over. This is a professional league, the talent level difference is very marginal between a lot of these players, they are bigger, stronger, faster. You can't expect these kids to come in a dominate off the get-go. Especially when their supporting cast is as green as they are.

Give them time, if by the end of the season we don't see some improvements and next season shows no progression, then you can temper your expectations, get disappointed.

Instant gratification strikes again.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
They are all rookies. Just like, for the most part, in their respective leagues, they took their time to come in, learn, and produce. These guys aren't generational talents or elite talents, they are great players, but they need to time to develop, adjust and learn.

This isn't the junior leagues where there are 4-5 guys who might make the Pros after their careers are over. This is a professional league, the talent level difference is very marginal between a lot of these players, they are bigger, stronger, faster. You can't expect these kids to come in a dominate off the get-go. Especially when their supporting cast is as green as they are.

Give them time, if by the end of the season we don't see some improvements and next season shows no progression, then you can temper your expectations, get disappointed.

Instant gratification strikes again
BUT IT FEELS SO GOOD

Old
12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post

Yes his dynamic game and offensive talent is pretty awesome, last season he heated up at the second half of the season, i think he was 1ppg, but can't find the numbers right now.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:49 PM
jwolf

Charles Hudon's development

If there is another thread dealing with this matter, by all means - go ahead and merge.

I've heard an increasing amount of adulation thrown CH's way lately (mainly because of the WJC coming up).

To those who've watched him consistently this season, how would you assess his play, skill set, overall ceiling vis a vis NHL potential and leadership qualities. Has he improved a great deal since last season? Just curious since I don't know much about him.

Did we land someone special in the 5th round?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:20 PM
stubbadub

When I watched him in the Canada vs Russia series in the summer, the kid was everywhere he needed to be. He was scoring too. He's chirpy toward other players, and brings both (to compare former Habs) a Max Lapierre and Guy Carbonneau skillset. Not as physical as Max could be, but he's very responsible like Guy was. He was played in every situation too. He had the Metro Centre on the edge of their seats a few times with his awesome pass interceptions and speed. He had one memorable short handed breakaway that I can recall. Didn't score, but he was still a pleasure to watch play. Against the Mooseheads this year he was alright I suppose. The only game I saw him play was a 6-1 blow out by the Moose, so he couldn't really light it up.

In short, I think we have a future two-way stud for the second and third line. May not score a ton, but he'll bring back a respectable two way game.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

What current NHLer can Hudon be compared to?

Old
12-12-2012, 02:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
The guy in your avatar, IMO. I don't see him as the shutdown guy people are portraying him as, even though he'll likely play that role at the WJCs. In the NHL, generally your shutdown guys are bigger and more physical.

The reason why Hudon gets assignments like that in junior is because he's very, very smart, and generally knows where to be whenever he's on the ice, either on offense or defensively.. Like Desharnais, he's not the biggest guy, and his best attribute by far is his hockey IQ.

A Derek Roy comparison might not be too far off either. Think along the lines of Roy and Desharnais.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The guy in your avatar, IMO. I don't see him as the shutdown guy people are portraying him as, even though he'll likely play that role at the WJCs. In the NHL, generally your shutdown guys are bigger and more physical.

The reason why Hudon gets assignments like that in junior is because he's very, very smart, and generally knows where to be whenever he's on the ice, either on offense or defensively.. Like Desharnais, he's not the biggest guy, and his best attribute by far is his hockey IQ.

A Derek Roy comparison might not be too far off either. Think along the lines of Roy and Desharnais.
Was Desharnais ever good at getting his stick in the way of plays, breaking them up and turning the play back the other way? That's something that I've noticed Hudon is good at.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:06 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Vermette ?

Old
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Mike Cammalleri.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I like the Desharnais comparison a lot.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I think Hudon will end up a lot like Esa Tikkanen after he grows up and becomes a man.

There's a lot of stuff he doesn't do yet because he lacks the physical qualities to back them up but once the physical development catches up with his mental makeup he will likely become that kind of player.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I think Hudon will end up a lot like Esa Tikkanen after he grows up and becomes a man.

There's a lot of stuff he doesn't do yet because he lacks the physical qualities to back them up but once the physical development catches up with his mental makeup he will likely become that kind of player.
He reminds me of Mark Recchi, the later career one, not the 100 point one.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Habsoil

vCash: 50
Bozon on shaw

Tim Bozon and Kamloops on Shaw tonight?
Thats what bozon tweeted!

Old
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
If there is another thread dealing with this matter, by all means - go ahead and merge.

I've heard an increasing amount of adulation thrown CH's way lately (mainly because of the WJC coming up).

To those who've watched him consistently this season, how would you assess his play, skill set, overall ceiling vis a vis NHL potential and leadership qualities. Has he improved a great deal since last season? Just curious since I don't know much about him.

Did we land someone special in the 5th round?
Everytime you land a guy who played for team Canada junior at 18 years old in the 5th round, thats a serious potential steal..

Old
12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
for me it's Jordan Eberle

Closed Thread