HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada's biggest rival? USA or Russia

View Poll Results: Canada's biggest rival? USA or Russia
USA 83 37.90%
Russia 108 49.32%
too close to call 28 12.79%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-12-2012, 02:52 AM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 133
i chose russia but i just thought world jrs. usa canada is deff the biggest, think about olympics. my god what a rivalry. id murder a yankee for a gold. #jk but srs

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:47 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Fair enough

Everyone has at least 1 rival, but I guess I never thought of some of the European nation relations for rivalries beside the obvious Fin-Swe Slo-Cze
Cze-Rus was traditionally pretty big too.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Mestaruus

Can't really compare U-20 and men's. In men's their biggest rival is easily Russia and in U-20 it's easily USA if you ask me. USA needs to beat Canada in Olympic final or something for them to become bigger rival than Russia. If U-20 and men's are combined then I guess Russia would be the bigger rival by a small margin.

Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Muuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
FIN vs SWE, western neighbor and once we were part Sweden.
FIN vs RUS, eastern neighbor and once we were part Russia.

Those reasons are as good as any to create rivalry.
I blame the Cold War for us not having a proper rivalry with Russians. We were afraid Soviets so we had to act all buddy-buddy with them. All the negative energy was focused on rivalry with Sweden.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
Can't really compare U-20 and men's. In men's their biggest rival is easily Russia and in U-20 it's easily USA if you ask me. USA needs to beat Canada in Olympic final or something for them to become bigger rival than Russia. If U-20 and men's are combined then I guess Russia would be the bigger rival by a small margin.
I'd swap them. I think U-20 - Ruissia (marginally), Mens - USA.

I choose USA overall since Mens is a much bigger deal and they are our pants. Russia is just our Vodka supplier, herd to hate them too much.

Last edited by Leo Trollmarov: 12-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Leo Trollmarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
I blame the Cold War for us not having a proper rivalry with Russians. We were afraid Soviets so we had to act all buddy-buddy with them. All the negative energy was focused on rivalry with Sweden.

Actually we Russians do regard Finland as rivals because of some painful losses:
- Torino semifinals - 0:4 right after shutting Canada out.
- OT loss at the WC in Moscow '07 semifinals, the 1st time in long time we were truly believing Russia would win the Gold.
- shutout at 2011 Worlds (and Granlund's famous goal).
- also Finnish ref just ate Russia alive at 2005 Worlds in Canada-Russia semifinals.

But this doesn't come close to playing Czechs. Can't remember any other national team's fans chanting insults as much. Every in Russia also hates their hockey style

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Russia rivals with the US?
I believe he's talking about the Cold War that consumed the US and Soviet Union. Hockey was a trivial side amusement in comparison to that.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Well last year they were booing the Americans when they weren't even playing Canada. Don't remember that being done to the Ruskies.
The only time a Canadian crowd vociferously supported a Russian team was in the Semi-Finals of the WJC in Vancouver in 2006 against the USA. The crowd booed the US mercilessly, especially Jack Johnson, and cheered everything the Russians did. I never thought I'd see the day.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Probably a bit of "whoever is predicted to be the tougher opponent at the moment"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
The only time a Canadian crowd vociferously supported a Russian team was in the Semi-Finals of the WJC in Vancouver in 2006 against the USA. The crowd booed the US mercilessly, especially Jack Johnson, and cheered everything the Russians did. I never thought I'd see the day.
That happened in Buffalo as well.

12-12-2012, 10:00 AM
tourlord*

When it comes to WJC USA is our enemy.

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I remember that very well. I think a lot of it had to do with Johnson elbowing a Canadian player rather viciously in the round robin game (was it Steve Downie?). He became public enemy #1 that tournament so it probably has more to do with that then cheering the Russians. We didn't like them either at that time anymore than the Americans. Remember in 2005 when the Russians rubbed their semi final win against the Americans? I remember vividly wanting to steamroll the Russians in the gold because of that, so it goes both ways for me. But I'll say one thing, no Canadian was cheering for the Russians in the 1980 Olympics. That says something right there, it was pretty unanimous at that time.

Also in 2002 after we beat Belarus to get to the Gold medal game I remember watching the USA/Russia game on TV. I honestly didn't care who we met in the final that year. I had enough contempt for both countries to satisfy my thirst.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:20 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
The USA is little brother to Canada. I see this a lot in the College football team I grew up rooting for in Michigan as a Spartan fan. Sorry for those that won't understand it but.

USA (Michigan State)
Canada (University of Michigan)
Russia (Ohio State)

A lot of times Canada won't admit to the rivalry until they actually lose to team USA. It seems to burn more than anything else, they at least full on respect Russian hockey. As badly as the USA wants to be their biggest rival they will struggle to ever gain the title. Just isn't the history, best we can hope for is just continuing to gain respect, the more you beat them the better it will get. It is however just very hard to matchup to the glory of the other rivalry.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
I'd swap them. I think U-20 - Ruissia (marginally), Mens - USA.

I choose USA overall since Mens is a much bigger deal and they are our pants. Russia is just our Vodka supplier, herd to hate them too much.
I thought America was Canada's underwear.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:14 AM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
The USA is little brother to Canada. I see this a lot in the College football team I grew up rooting for in Michigan as a Spartan fan. Sorry for those that won't understand it but.

USA (Michigan State)
Russia (Ohio State)

A lot of times Canada won't admit to the rivalry until they actually lose to team USA. It seems to burn more than anything else, they at least full on respect Russian hockey. As badly as the USA wants to be their biggest rival they will struggle to ever gain the title. Just isn't the history, best we can hope for is just continuing to gain respect, the more you beat them the better it will get. It is however just very hard to matchup to the glory of the other rivalry.
just give it time....and its that time of year again, LOVE it

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I remember that very well. I think a lot of it had to do with Johnson elbowing a Canadian player rather viciously in the round robin game (was it Steve Downie?). He became public enemy #1 that tournament so it probably has more to do with that then cheering the Russians. We didn't like them either at that time anymore than the Americans. Remember in 2005 when the Russians rubbed their semi final win against the Americans? I remember vividly wanting to steamroll the Russians in the gold because of that, so it goes both ways for me. But I'll say one thing, no Canadian was cheering for the Russians in the 1980 Olympics. That says something right there, it was pretty unanimous at that time.

Also in 2002 after we beat Belarus to get to the Gold medal game I remember watching the USA/Russia game on TV. I honestly didn't care who we met in the final that year. I had enough contempt for both countries to satisfy my thirst.
I think in 1980 (and '72 for that matter) we were all a bit brainwashed. Now that we've moved on from wondering if the Russians really love their children it's more about sports. I'll say just from TV it looks like in the building the US is much less popular than the Russians. The Canadians were cheering Denmark and the Czechs vociferously last year, but in Russia's games they were relatively indifferent.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:40 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post

USA (Michigan State)
Russia (Ohio State)

One thing any Big Ten school alum can agree on is that everybody hates Michigan.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I thought America was Canada's underwear.

It's winter, and it's cold, we need pants!

Old
12-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I think in 1980 (and '72 for that matter) we were all a bit brainwashed. Now that we've moved on from wondering if the Russians really love their children it's more about sports. I'll say just from TV it looks like in the building the US is much less popular than the Russians. The Canadians were cheering Denmark and the Czechs vociferously last year, but in Russia's games they were relatively indifferent.
Really, I think in the gold medal game the crowd was a clearly a pro-Sweden crowd. At least that's what I remember. I'm curious to see what would happen in Russia if it were a Canada-USA gold medal game. You do know the derogatory word Russians use when referring to Americans? In fact one of my close Russian friends (female) relatively new to the sport was upset that Canadians were cheering against Russia and for Sweden.

But other than that, I'm not even convinced that a gold medal game in Russia that doesn't involve Russia draws more than 2 thousand people.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Alpine

Nobody likes Canada
We're arrogant, call it OUR game and expect to win EVERY year.
Allot like how most Canadians feel about Toronto

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Okay, who is Canada's biggest rival? Which team do you get up for the most? What team do you think the players get pumped up for the most?

I am going to assume that from an all-time standpoint we can pretty much agree that Canada/Russia is significantly the biggest rivalry. There has just been too much elite hockey between the two nations and the USA hasn't been good enough for that long to compete.

But where are we currently? Has the USA now become Canada's greatest rival currently?

When you think of this take into account all tournaments. Olympics, World Juniors, etc.
Russia all the way. We've had so many battles with them over the past decade plus. Only recently has the U.S given us some battles. I'll always get pumped up for any Canada-Russia game no matter the situation, if it's round robin or for a medal. I always want to kill Russia. And naturally a lot of bigger wins and losses have come against Russia so naturally they are our biggest rival IMO.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Nobody likes Canada
your words hurt.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Nobody likes Canada
And whys that? I've always wondered about this. You know most of the time us Torontonians have no clue why you have the feelings towards us as you do, and quite frankly we don't care I'm curious though. Is it from the media? Friends and family?

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

Russian humility.

I love the fact that he did this by the way.
I love that interview. It is not too often that a player points out that his team won because they scored more goals than their opponent.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote