HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
What has Rynnas done to deserve to be rising? Leivo should be rising instead of him.

He just continues to be wildy inconsistent and injury prone. I'd put McKegg over Abbot and D'Amigo and then Leivo and Rynnas should switch spots.
fair enough. wouldn't argue too much about any of those changes.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Riellys playing the scrimmage for team red and is wearing #11. I think the game starts tonight at 9:00pm, and if anyone who wants to watch it you can at www.fasthockey.com

You just have to make an account, and you will be able to watch the game for free.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Riellys playing the scrimmage for team red and is wearing #11. I think the game starts tonight at 9:00pm, and if anyone who wants to watch it you can at www.fasthockey.com

You just have to make an account, and you will be able to watch the game for free.
Well, it looks like I'll have to finish my exam in 2 hours then.

12-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post

I believe someone else posted this, regardless thanks for the intel

12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I'd have Sparks higher then that as well. He's played well this year.
I 2nd this. The last month and a half it would be hard to find a better goaltender in the OHL.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I 2nd this. The last month and a half it would be hard to find a better goaltender in the OHL.
Now for him to stick to it or majority of the time.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:00 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I'd even argue CHL

Old
12-11-2012, 07:08 PM
leugangen

If anyone wants to watch Rielly and potential future Leafs MacKinnon, Monahan, and Drouin (), make an account at Fasthockey and you can stream the scrimmage at 9 PM EST.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Early Season Risers:

S.Abbott
J.Rynnas
C.Brown
G.Sparks

Early Season Fallers:

J.Colborne
M.Owuya
J.Blacker
N.Deschamps

My current Leafs top-20:

1) M.Rielly
2) N.Kadri
3) M.Frattin
4) M.Finn
5) J.Colborne

6) T.Biggs
7) S.Percy
8) S.Abbott
9) J.D'Amigo
10) G.McKegg

11) C.Ashton
12) M.Owuya
13) J.Rynnas
14) B.Ross
15) K.Holzer

16) J.Blacker
17) J.Leivo
18) C.Brown
19) N.Deschamps
20) G.Sparks
My take.

1) M.Rielly
2) M.Frattin
3) N.Kadri
4) T.Biggs
5) M.Finn

6) S.Percy
7) J.Colborne
8) L.Komarov
9) K.Holzer
10) C.Ashton

11) J.Blacker
12) S.Abbott
13) B.Ross
14) B.Scrivens
15) G.McKegg

16) J.D'Amigo
17) P.Granberg
18) J.Leivo
19) G.Sparks
20) N.Deschamps/C.Brown

Old
12-11-2012, 07:34 PM
HeroNtF

Thanks for the Webpage link guys !!!

I live in Calgary and friends won't go... say it is to far, lame ******** !

Old
12-11-2012, 07:46 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

Does anyone watch Guelph a lot that can comment on sparks? Is he calm and cool in the net? Does he rely on athleticism to make saves? Why doesn't he get talked about more because he seems to be one of the top goalies in the ohl. You'd think we'd all be stoked to have a top goalie prospect. Or are we selling him short becAuse of draft status?

Old
12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
My take.

1) M.Rielly
2) M.Frattin
3) N.Kadri
4) T.Biggs
5) M.Finn

6) S.Percy
7) J.Colborne
8) L.Komarov
9) K.Holzer
10) C.Ashton

11) J.Blacker
12) S.Abbott
13) B.Ross
14) B.Scrivens
15) G.McKegg

16) J.D'Amigo
17) P.Granberg
18) J.Leivo
19) G.Sparks
20) N.Deschamps/C.Brown
How can you have Frattin over Kadri? Frattin is almost 25.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
I'd even argue CHL
Quite possibly, I thought about saying that but decided against it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Does anyone watch Guelph a lot that can comment on sparks? Is he calm and cool in the net? Does he rely on athleticism to make saves? Why doesn't he get talked about more because he seems to be one of the top goalies in the ohl. You'd think we'd all be stoked to have a top goalie prospect. Or are we selling him short becAuse of draft status?
Probably that but I don't know. I haven't seen him enough to be able to comment on his play.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Live in guelph.

Volatile emotions. Generally not what I would say is cool or calm in the net, more of scrambler IMO. But has a knack when he is on for making the save, but still sometimes does not give his team that confidence of having a guy that will stop anything he should. He does let in the occasional softy.

The beginning of the season was flat out rough. Like almost piss poor. He has really tightened up though. He is a battler, and I love the way he gets out on top of his crease, its great because when he is on he is very frustrating for other teams because he will be in the fight for a puck every night if its anywhere near him.

He has good puck stopping tools, that much is clear, and I like the fact that he comes out of his net and tries to play the puck even if he isnt the best at it.

I would say though, just because I think he isnt the strongest with angles or rebounds, and has a very very mediocre mit, its hard to project him as one of the best. But its just too difficult to project goalies and I am not an expert.

As far as value from a 7th rounder, it looks great. Looks like he can be a successful AHL goalie at the very least, and much like Scrivens or Reimer he has the some of the tools to play in the NHL.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Live in guelph.

Volatile emotions. Generally not what I would say is cool or calm in the net, more of scrambler IMO. But has a knack when he is on for making the save, but still sometimes does not give his team that confidence of having a guy that will stop anything he should. He does let in the occasional softy.

The beginning of the season was flat out rough. Like almost piss poor. He has really tightened up though. He is a battler, and I love the way he gets out on top of his crease, its great because when he is on he is very frustrating for other teams because he will be in the fight for a puck every night if its anywhere near him.

He has good puck stopping tools, that much is clear, and I like the fact that he comes out of his net and tries to play the puck even if he isnt the best at it.

I would say though, just because I think he isnt the strongest with angles or rebounds, and has a very very mediocre mit, its hard to project him as one of the best. But its just too difficult to project goalies and I am not an expert.

As far as value from a 7th rounder, it looks great. Looks like he can be a successful AHL goalie at the very least, and much like Scrivens or Reimer he has the some of the tools to play in the NHL.
Also a Guelphite myself.

Fair assessment, I think in the end Sparks won't be an NHL goalie, is safe to say.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
He's bigger, although they're the same height. He is better defensively and more physical. He's also been scoring at a higher PPG rate than Kadri in the AHL.

It's a coin flip, anyways. As Kadri has draft pedigree and age on his side of the coin.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:19 AM
mrburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
He's bigger, although they're the same height. He is better defensively and more physical. He's also been scoring at a higher PPG rate than Kadri in the AHL.

It's a coin flip, anyways. As Kadri has draft pedigree and age on his side of the coin.
I'd also argue higher potential as well for Kadri

Old
12-12-2012, 03:24 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
i go to school and guelph and i have watched a couple games on tv as well as going to the one game that was televised on sportsnet. I can tell you sparks is athletic he does the splits frequently and imo is the best player on guelph, when he is on the team wins when he is off the team loses. when i went i saw finn looked good, but he wasn't anything close to spectacular and i think sparks really helps him look good. 2 reasons i think people dont mention him as much is because of his draft status, no one expects anything but i think he is starting to impress now, and 2nd reason is because he has been so streaky, like i said when he goes the team goes and when he doesn't come up clutch guelph tends to get blown out, i can remember a game where they lost by like 6 and then another weekend they lost by a bunch but sparks stood on his head the friday night game.

i hear his consistency has gotten better, been focusing on exams n **** to keep up track with the storm recently.

i just want to add my top 10 into this thread, i think a lot of people are selling tyler biggs really short. i think this kid is going to be a dominant 3rd line guy for the leafs. a lucic type of fighter and grit with good hands, i dont watch detroit very often (or at all really) but from what ive heard about holmstrom sounds very similar but biggs has a good shot and he goes to the net hard. as i said before im not huge on finn but percy is looking like a very good pick (safe) pick from last year.

1. Morgan Rielly <-- future stud defenceman
2. Nazem Kadri <-- 2nd line winger, capable of 35-40 assists with maybe 15-20 goals
3. Matt Frattin<-- 2/3 line winger with some jam and can pot 15-20 goals
4. tyler biggs <--- future 2/3 line PF who can play the PP to stand in front of the net
5. Stuart Percy <--- future top 4 dman, not to optimistic he will become a top 4, but i can see he is very defensivly sound. very smart player (something finn is trying to become imo)
6. Matt Finn <-- future top 4 dman, same with percy i find he rushes the pass a bit, also could have been the fact Guelphs forwards arent all that good defensivly. like percy very invisible which is good for a defenceman.
7. J Colborne <-- i used to really like colborne, but he looks akward. id say he doesn't make it unless he becomes a top 6 and still has a lot of work to do. only legit top 6 center though so thats why he is here (maybe other than Mckegg but he is more of a project)
8. Carter Ashton <-- unlike colborne he can play in the bottom 6 and imo did a very good job not recording any points, but his compete level was very high. I have no idea why he was in the NHL instead of Kadri but he did provide some jam, he didn't shy away from fights and he is fast, goes into the corners stuff that doesn't show up on the score sheets. however to make it he needs to put up some points because he isn't good enough to play a fighting role however could play a 4th line grinder type well (PK) cause of his speed. people are underestimating him imo
9. Brad Ross<-- tucker like player, however again more likely a 3rd line agitator type who could step in and play 2nd line but is more of a 3rd line player. IMO could put up similar points to a mcarthur but has more jam (and for the record mcarthur should be a 3rd line player) and can stir up a game and is very useful. one of the players i was looking forward to seeing in the AHL however the NHL is still locked-out
10. Greg Mckegg <-- i watched him a bit in the memorial cup and he was dangerous, i also saw him play for the marlies last season and it looks like it will take a little adjustment to the AHL game. alike colborne our only top 6 potential centers however Mckegg could surprise. Most likely wont make the NHL because he is a offensive player and couldn't fit in the bottom 6.

* i would of said jesse blacker instead of mckegg earlier in the year but the kids hands look like they have been shot or something, however, i have always said jesse blacker is a very good defenceman.
*didn't add holzer/komarov as i dont see them as prospects

Old
12-12-2012, 03:29 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
cause everyone says kadri is a bust. like he was drafted in 2009 and a top 10 pick still not in the NHL what a joke. (im not serious kadri is avery good player, and if ottawa picked him we woulda been saying omg i wish we had kadri his hands are so good)

Old
12-12-2012, 09:12 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
cause everyone says kadri is a bust. like he was drafted in 2009 and a top 10 pick still not in the NHL what a joke. (im not serious kadri is avery good player, and if ottawa picked him we woulda been saying omg i wish we had kadri his hands are so good)

kadri will be fine, we knew all along that he was a project, but has some tremendous upside, patience!!!!!!!

frattin and kadri have same defensive game, I refuse to believe frattin is better defensively, they are both same IMO

but both will be good players

Old
12-12-2012, 09:41 AM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
kadri will be fine, we knew all along that he was a project, but has some tremendous upside, patience!!!!!!!

frattin and kadri have same defensive game, I refuse to believe frattin is better defensively, they are both same IMO

but both will be good players
Frattin is wayyy better defensively.
Kadri will stare at a 2 on 1 that he could have prevented.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:42 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
He played well to end last season. Looked fantastic in rookie camp this summer, was basically a brick wall.

Started the season horribly. Couldnt stop a beach ball, however the team still managed to win games. After a poor first 10 games, hes probably been one of the best goalies in the league. I have gone to games, watched him on Sportsnet and in the Rookie camp. He seems to be a guy that is able to rise to the occaision and play well under pressure. Good combination of butterfly and athleticism. Covers the bottom of the net extremely well.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:46 AM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
He played well to end last season. Looked fantastic in rookie camp this summer, was basically a brick wall.

Started the season horribly. Couldnt stop a beach ball, however the team still managed to win games. After a poor first 10 games, hes probably been one of the best goalies in the league. I have gone to games, watched him on Sportsnet and in the Rookie camp. He seems to be a guy that is able to rise to the occaision and play well under pressure. Good combination of butterfly and athleticism. Covers the bottom of the net extremely well.
Great value for a 7th rounder. Can't ask for much more.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Also a Guelphite myself.

Fair assessment, I think in the end Sparks won't be an NHL goalie, is safe to say.
Did people think Lundqvist , Elliot , Halak , Kipprusoff, Miller, Rinne, to be amazing goalies at the NHL level when they were drafted ?

The thing with goalies is they are a total crapshoot , Sparks could develop really nice over the nice 5 years , and turn out to be a good NHL goalie. Anything could happen.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Did people think Lundqvist , Elliot , Halak , Kipprusoff, Miller, Rinne, to be amazing goalies at the NHL level when they were drafted ?

The thing with goalies is they are a total crapshoot , Sparks could develop really nice over the nice 5 years , and turn out to be a good NHL goalie. Anything could happen.
This is true, but all of those guys have some FANTASTIC tools, and I am not sure if Sparks has those types of tools.

Like the sheer level of athleticism that Rinne has, and the reflexes Lundy has... Incredible. Hope that as Sparks reaches the next levels he can shore up some of his weaknesses.

Closed Thread