HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
One adjustment Galchenyuk will have to make if he makes it, the length of his shifts.. He sometime spends over 1 minute on the ice and there is no way it will work in the NHL.. Will have to shorten his shifts to 45 sec max..
Not true, look at Kovalchuk, there are times he plays an entire 2 minutes on the PP, and takes over 1 minute shifts on fwd average. I'm not saying Galchenyuk is Kovy, but I think he has enough gas in the tank to play a couple ~60 second shifts a game, depending on the situation. 45 sec MAX is unrealistic IMO.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
One adjustment Galchenyuk will have to make if he makes it, the length of his shifts.. He sometime spends over 1 minute on the ice and there is no way it will work in the NHL.. Will have to shorten his shifts to 45 sec max..
That's common for most junior stars.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:31 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Not true, look at Kovalchuk, there are times he plays an entire 2 minutes on the PP, and takes over 1 minute shifts on fwd average. I'm not saying Galchenyuk is Kovy, but I think he has enough gas in the tank to play a couple ~60 second shifts a game, depending on the situation. 45 sec MAX is unrealistic IMO.
As you say Gally isnt Kovy, especially when you are talking about a rookie, will have to shift at the same time of his linemates, Therrien wont accept it..

Old
12-11-2012, 09:33 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
As you say Gally isnt Kovy, especially when you are talking about a rookie, will have to shift at the same time of his linemates, Therrien wont accept it..
Oh of course, but eventually he may be the player that you will let stay out a little longer because he makes things happen. End of game situations etc.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:37 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

NewHabsEra : its true these shifts are far too long for the NHL but he's playing junior. Its far less exceptional there for star players to do this.

He'll adapt quickly to NHL pace&game rythm I'm sure, he doesn't look stubborn like Kovalev was

Old
12-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I watch the games and even log his minute in the process. I can guarantee you, the time he spends 1+ minutes on the ice is one of these situations;

1. Pinned in his own end or vice versa.
2. PP time (sometimes plays the full 2 minutes)
3. Plays second wave of the PK, which once it's killed, Sarault and Boucher come on.

Besides, he's rarely winded when he comes off and he doesn't hurt the team at all. I don't see the problem here, especially in the OHL.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
12-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I watch the games and even log his minute in the process. I can guarantee you, the time he spends 1+ minutes on the ice is one of these situations;

1. Pinned in his own end or vice versa.
2. PP time (sometimes plays the full 2 minutes)
3. Plays second wave of the PK, which once it's killed, Sarault and Boucher come on.

Besides, he's rarely winded when he comes off and he doesn't hurt the team at all. I don't see the problem here, especially in the OHL.
I rarely notice him get winded he has very good endurance

Old
12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
NewHabsEra : its true these shifts are far too long for the NHL but he's playing junior. Its far less exceptional there for star players to do this.

He'll adapt quickly to NHL pace&game rythm I'm sure, he doesn't look stubborn like Kovalev was
Hopefully he will adapt quickly to the incresed pace of the NHL.. I wasnt only pointing out at Gally, his whole line stay on the ice for very long at times, but the NHL is another story, we will see how quickly he adapt, he is a smart kid so Im not too worried.. I think playing on a line with Pleks and Gio would be perfect for his development..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 12-12-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old
12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
BubbleGumPlant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
If they'd go to the length of pulling him out of the WJCs while they are still ongoing, you'd have to believe that they really feel he will stay in Montreal. I love it, obviously, as the only thing I really care about is him playing in the NHL. I'd love it if somehow he was able to finish the tourney and still make training camp but I'm not interested in him making the jump without them getting a good look at how he performs against our players in TC. If they feel he's ready, then he'd best be up here ASAP.
I can see him adjust decently well at the NHL level already. Nothing spectacular, but he wil be able to hold his own. But that's another reason why he shouldn't join the Habs if there is a season. Too many valuable prospects in the 2013 draft. Habs are not anywhere close to a Stanley Cup team and won't be until they add a few more major assets. When you compare the Canadiens to the elite teams in the NHL, we're definitely short a couple of star veterans and another key prospect or two. Gally will get hurt eventually in the future whether it be for 2-3 games or 15-25 games (and knock on wood nothing more). It's just the nature of the game. During that time other players will have to step it up, and I don't see future prospects like Collberg or Hudon leading this team.

Last edited by BubbleGumPlant: 12-11-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 03:08 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
I can see him adjust decently well at the NHL level already. Nothing spectacular, but he wil be able to hold his own. But that's another reason why he shouldn't join the Habs if there is a season.
I can see that as well, but I can also see him being spectacular at the NHL level already. That's the reason you bring him up, he's already passed the "OHL test" with flying colors, there's absolutely no reason to hold him back from the real test. If he doesn't convince you that he is ready to play in the NHL during camp, then you don't force it. That simple.

Quote:
Too many valuable prospects in the 2013 draft.
You plan for the 2013 draft near the end of next year. You don't plan on being bad at the beginning of the season. Especially not with some of the pieces we have at our luxury(Price, Markov, Subban). There are no guarantees on where we will pick at the draft with or without Gally. If you feel he makes your team better and that it's better for his development to be at the pro level, then you do it. No doubt about it. Things like burning a year of ELC, and draft position take a back seat to those two realities.

Quote:
Habs are not anywhere close to a Stanley Cup team and won't be until they add a few more major assets. When you compare the Canadiens to the elite teams in the NHL, we're definitely short a couple of star veterans and another key prospect or two.
I'm not hearing that. We're missing some top-end talent to play with Pleky and a physical, gritty playoff Dman. Gally IS that top-end talent we are missing, you have got to give him the chance to prove it, that's why you drafted him at #3.

Quote:
Gally will get hurt eventually in the future whether it be for 2-3 games or 15-25 games (and knock on wood nothing more). It's just the nature of the game. During that time other players will have to step it up, and I don't see future prospects like Collberg or Hudon leading this team.
Well that's your opinion. I won't say much about Collberg other than I trust in Timmons, but Hudon is probably my favorite prospect outside of Gally. Real special player we have there.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I want to know something about Galchenyuk: is he Russian or American?

Old
12-12-2012, 08:11 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I want to know something about Galchenyuk: is he Russian or American?
American

Old
12-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
American
Is he part Russian or I just imagined the whole thing?

Old
12-12-2012, 08:17 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I think his father was from Russia, or eastern europe. And he did live a few years over there.

But AFAIK, he was born in America, and spent the majority of his life there. He will play for Team America (**** YHEA!!)

Old
12-12-2012, 08:57 AM
PATCHESx67

he says it himself hes american and has been playing for team USA

Old
12-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
It's not just about having enough in the tank, it's about what you do with those 15 extra seconds. It also depends on who else is on the team. I don't think Gally can jump on one of the best teams and start getting close to a minute of ice time.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 473
Hah, his sister demands NHL hockey:

https://twitter.com/Agalchy

Anna Galchenyuk ‏@Agalchy
No matter how thrilling it was to watch the Knicks vs. Nets �� battle tonight, I really miss hockey �� #EndtheLockOut #FigureitoutAlready����

Old
12-12-2012, 10:02 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Hah, his sister demands NHL hockey:

https://twitter.com/Agalchy

Anna Galchenyuk ‏@Agalchy
No matter how thrilling it was to watch the Knicks vs. Nets �� battle tonight, I really miss hockey �� #EndtheLockOut #FigureitoutAlready����
The hot one?!

Old
12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
He's part Belorussian. His father was born there and moved around Europe and North America playing minor hockey. He can speak Russian and is part Russian, or rather Belorussian, but he says he's an American first and therefore will play for the States.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:19 AM
EveryDay

Article in french about Alex from Mathias Brunet

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...st-il-pret.php

Old
12-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The hot one?!
The only one, so yes.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:24 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
He was born in the States as his father played hockey in the States then moved away at a young age when his father played in various European leagues. He returned at age 14 or 15 and played one year in the US then at 16 moved to Sarnia.

So I think him being American is a bit of a technicality since he spent so much of his life in Europe.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
He was born in the States as his father played hockey in the States then moved away at a young age when his father played in various European leagues. He returned at age 14 or 15 and played one year in the US then at 16 moved to Sarnia.

So I think him being American is a bit of a technicality since he spent so much of his life in Europe.
He also speaks with a distinct Russian accent. I know plenty of people with Russian heritage who were raised in Canada and they don't have any accent at all. IMO he is just as much Russian as he is American, it simply came down to a choice for him due to IIHF stipulations.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Thanks guys of the responses about Alex's heritage. It's even more complicated than I thought.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:11 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post

I'd think the USA is still the country where he spent the most amount of time, isn't it?

Closed Thread