HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 09:28 AM
SarcazemKadri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
yes, he plays a powergame just like staal does.
Interesting. I haven't seen him enough to form an opinion. However, 5'11" 185lbs seems like a small frame to be playing a power game in a men's league.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:39 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Interesting. I haven't seen him enough to form an opinion. However, 5'11" 185lbs seems like a small frame to be playing a power game in a men's league.
Did you read the report from the selection camp and the scouts review?

Quote:
Lindholm, a 6-foot, 191-pound righty, projects to be a future top-six forward with star potential.

"He's a complete package," Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting, told NHL.com. "He could very well be the next Peter Forsberg. He's an excellent skater and great competitor who gives it 110 percent on every shift. He can skate, score and pass, and is physically strong even though he is a finesse type of player."
Perhaps the interpretation of PF is the issue. Scout says finesse type of player, but physically strong, but was Forsberg a PF, or just a very strong finesse player? I see Shanny as a PF, Lucic as a PF, but Forsberg not really. I think there is a subtle difference between PF and very strong physical forward, and I'd have to say it is in the approach to the game. The intent to be physical, rather than the use of physical force to accomplish a goal.

In my mind a PF goes onto the ice with the intention of being physical, whereas some other players can be physical, but that is not their sole approach to the game. Sundin could have been a PF, but he wasn't. He had the strength, and size where had he mentally been so wired he could have been one of the best.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Lindholm is 6'0.5 192lbs. I would not say he plays a power game but he likes to throw his body around and he has a bit of a mean streak. He is very much a Backstrom/Forsberg/Giroux type of playmaking center.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:48 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

Perhaps the interpretation of PF is the issue. Scout says finesse type of player, but physically strong, but was Forsberg a PF, or just a very strong finesse player? I see Shanny as a PF, Lucic as a PF, but Forsberg not really. I think there is a subtle difference between PF and very strong physical forward, and I'd have to say it is in the approach to the game. The intent to be physical, rather than the use of physical force to accomplish a goal.

In my mind a PF goes onto the ice with the intention of being physical, whereas some other players can be physical, but that is not their sole approach to the game. Sundin could have been a PF, but he wasn't. He had the strength, and size where had he mentally been so wired he could have been one of the best.
Valid points. A powerforward to me is a player that imposes his will physically on an opponent. Goes out every shift and hits hard, controls the cycle game and drives the net hard. Majority of their points come from grinding around the net. Eric Staal to me is the prototypical "powerforward".

A player that I see as a hybrid is Jamie Benn. Has all the finesse tools, but also has the power to protect the puck when needed. If Lindholm could amount to this hybrid finesse-power game, I would certainly love to draft him to the leafs organization.

Definitely looking forward to watching the WJC, and witnessing many of these Euro prospects I haven't had a chance to look at yet.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:46 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Valid points. A powerforward to me is a player that imposes his will physically on an opponent. Goes out every shift and hits hard, controls the cycle game and drives the net hard. Majority of their points come from grinding around the net. Eric Staal to me is the prototypical "powerforward".

A player that I see as a hybrid is Jamie Benn. Has all the finesse tools, but also has the power to protect the puck when needed. If Lindholm could amount to this hybrid finesse-power game, I would certainly love to draft him to the leafs organization.

Definitely looking forward to watching the WJC, and witnessing many of these Euro prospects I haven't had a chance to look at yet.
Puck protection isn't a power forward thing though. It can be, but it doesn't have to be. You can use size and strength to protect the puck and still not play a power forward type game. Most centers that are big are not power forwards to me.

I would agree with your definition of power forward, but not that Staal is one. He's a big centers and power forwards are different IMO. I think it's actually rare that you find a center that is a power forward. Usually and almost exclusively, power forwards are wingers.

Think back to who is usually regarded in history as being the cream of the power forward crop. Lindros, Bertuzzi, Iginla. And now? Perry, Backes, Callahan, Lucic.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

I agree with you. Definition of a PF is a little loose these days, IMO. Power forward,
is someone who looks to initiate physical play and is also able to absorb it. There are players who are skilled, but are also good at using size and strength to their advantage and not afraid of absorbing it to make a play. Forsberg is a really good example of this. Malkin and Crosby probably in the same boat.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Shinkaruk > Drouin

Old
12-11-2012, 10:42 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Shinkaruk > Drouin
Shinkaruk is the same kind of player as Kessel though isn't he? I mean if he's BPA you still pick him.

12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Brody

vCash: 560
Quote:
Shinkaruk > Drouin
I agree, I just have a very "bust" vibe from him.

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Aleksander Barkov
3. Seth Jones
4. Sean Monahan
5. Hunter Shinkaruk
6. Elias Lindholm
7. Ryan Pulock
8. Rasmus Ristolainen
9. Jonathan Drouin
10. Valeri Nichushkin

Old
12-12-2012, 12:01 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Shinkaruk > Drouin
I disagree, whole heartedly. But I do like them both.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Shinkaruk is the same kind of player as Kessel though isn't he? I mean if he's BPA you still pick him.
I don't think so, from what I've seen of him. He plays more of a finesse game than a sniper's game, though he has a fantastic release. He plays with a bit more grit, and more of a cycle game than Kessel.

He's so damn quick though, very much like Phil. He's very similar to Skinner IMO.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
I agree, I just have a very "bust" vibe from him.
Finesse players like Shinkaruk and Drouin often have a hard to translating to the NHL. Both of them would indeed be risky, but I really like both.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:57 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I think he plays the game a lot like Patty Kane, Shinkaruk has a slightly better shot however. He even has that swagger about him Kane has. Not saying he will as good as Kane is, but that's around what his upside is.

Last edited by TheNorthFace: 12-12-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old
12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Nick Richie will be a great pick up for whomever drafts him. 2nd overall in the OHL draft. Playing on a poor team.

Shat, i dont think hes draft eligiable.. !!!LOL no wait... he is.. I DONNO.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Nick Richie will be a great pick up for whomever drafts him. 2nd overall in the OHL draft. Playing on a poor team.

He's eligible in 2014 as far as I know.
Some pretty good players available that year, also. Reinhart, Ritichie, Ho Sang, Ekblad and McKeown.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:46 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

No he isn't eligible. His birthday is about 3 months too late. He's 2014 draft eligible.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:16 AM
KlattNazty

blown away by lindholm when i get to watch some of his highlights.

wow, his separation gear is incredible, so noticeable down low and on half wall. hands / lower body strength great combo, spins and turns away from defenders so easily.

reminds me of kadri how he charges the net fearlessly as well, but he is a better skater and is more effective doing so IMO.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post

wow, his separation gear is incredible, so noticeable down low and on half wall. hands / lower body strength great combo, spins and turns away from defenders so easily.

reminds me of kadri how he charges the net fearlessly as well, but he is a better skater and is more effective doing so IMO.
He's good, he's foppa esque good and man it has made me excited if we get a top 5 pick....makes me so damn excited.

His defense is very good as well so that's a major plus point.

12-12-2012, 11:22 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He's good, he's foppa esque good and man it has made me excited if we get a top 5 pick....makes me so damn excited.

His defense is very good as well so that's a major plus point.
Agreed, I am pretty up in the air right now as to who my preferred centres are, but it immediately stuck out how good his skating / determination is.

Not at all afraid and is totally capable of making tough plays. Still think I prefer Barkov TBH, but Lindholm is pretty incredible. Some will question how well his game will translate versus Barkov (because sasha plays a very NA game), but I am not overly concerned because Elias completes his plays very quickly and when he has the puck is not "stalling". He is go-go and creating offense simply because of his aggressive attitude. I like it so far.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:30 AM
JVR2112

With all the hype that MacKinnon has gotten, it seems like if we don't draft 1st we'll still get a pretty solid blue-chipper. If we don't draft first I hope we get Barkov or Jones.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Lindholm
Monahan

That's my order.

In a perfect world we would get a top 3 pick, and trade for another top 6-7 pick. Somehow end up with Barkov/Jones and Lindholm.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Lindholm
Monahan

That's my order.

In a perfect world we would get a top 3 pick, and trade for another top 6-7 pick. Somehow end up with Barkov/Jones and Lindholm.
Jones and Linholm

Oh boy I would do cartwheels. Along with Rielly...

Old
12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I'd go Barkov and Drouin or Barkov and Lindholm.

With a completely, ridiculously, impossible to predict future of.....:

JVR Barkov Kessel
Grabo Lindholm Frattin
Ross Kadri Biggs
Broll Devane D'amigo

Phaneuf Rielly
Gardiner Finn
Blacker Percy

?
Reimer

lol... SUCCESS!

Old
12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieleafs View Post
i'd go barkov and drouin or barkov and lindholm.

With a completely, ridiculously, impossible to predict future of.....:

Jvr barkov kessel
grabo lindholm frattin
ross kadri biggs
broll devane d'amigo

phaneuf rielly
gardiner finn
blacker percy

?
Reimer

lol... Success!
Full optimist?

AWWWW YEAHHH

Old
12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
I don't think so, from what I've seen of him. He plays more of a finesse game than a sniper's game, though he has a fantastic release. He plays with a bit more grit, and more of a cycle game than Kessel.

He's so damn quick though, very much like Phil. He's very similar to Skinner IMO.
Admittedly I have only watched hunter a few times, but in every outting he didnt seem all that quick, average to below average skating in terms of speed. He is agile though. I actually dont have hunter highy ranked because I dont think he will be able to make room for himself in the nhl. Not fast enough or strong enough imo. And without room, how will he get that wicked shot off? Sure you could pair him with a big playmaking C, but I would rather not draft such a complementary player (1 dimensional too) so high in this draft. And imo skinner and kessel have elite skating, something hunter doesnt have (again from what I have seen). Hunter seems like a kadri type prospect (good stick skills, grit and determination but his size and speed will make it hard for him to adjust). Could turn out great but high risk... I would rather pick someone with equivalent potential but lower risk. There are lots of those in this draft
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post

He looks a lot like rielly offensively, doesnt he?

Closed Thread