HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2012, 09:22 AM
  #426
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 14,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Offensively, I think he will have a lot of troublesome moments in the defensive end.
Yeah, i agree with that. Offensively, he's going to step into the NHL right away and put up big numbers IMO, he's incredibly good offensively but he will need a steady D partner to make up for the inevitable mistakes that he will make in the defensive end (perhaps Nick Schultz).
He has a very high Hockey IQ so i'm pretty sure that he will improve defensively as he gains experience but there will be some definite growing pains in his first couple of seasons.
I would also like to see him put on some weight, he's a little too lean to handle big defensive responsibilities right away.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:58 AM
  #427
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I'm not here to troll but at least you guys something back for Pronger (and ended up getting Eberle with one of the picks). We lost Schultz for absolutely nothing because he completely misled our GM and coaching staff.
Should've signed him to that pro Contract before his 4 years of NCAA was up

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:04 AM
  #428
lawrence
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 837
vCash: 500
No, 27 gms wanted to get a free "above average" prospect. Quoted from Bob Mckenzie. AHL or not, those are monster numbers for a defencemen, let alone foward! That's crazy.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
  #429
Yosemite Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,415
vCash: 500
I keep waiting for Schultz to hit a wall or at least slow down and everytime I check the boxscore, there he is. His run so far has been remarkable and I'd say the Oilers have won the lottery (pun intended) with this one. They're only a couple pieces short now.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:32 AM
  #430
s7ark
Moderator
TheWorstEver
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yeah, i agree with that. Offensively, he's going to step into the NHL right away and put up big numbers IMO, he's incredibly good offensively but he will need a steady D partner to make up for the inevitable mistakes that he will make in the defensive end (perhaps Nick Schultz).
He has a very high Hockey IQ so i'm pretty sure that he will improve defensively as he gains experience but there will be some definite growing pains in his first couple of seasons.
I would also like to see him put on some weight, he's a little too lean to handle big defensive responsibilities right away.
I agree that he'll take some time to learn the defensive side of the game at the NHL level(what rookie doesn't?). But I think he can adapt using positioning, IQ and stick work to improve his effectiveness on the defensive side of the game.

But I certainly don't want to see him put on some weight. So much of his offensive game relies on his quick feet. Rather than trying to make him something he isn't (a tough, physical defender), the Oilers should get a tough physical defender for him to play with.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
  #431
MikeModano9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
J. Schultz and N. Schultz would be a wicked pairing to see.

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
  #432
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
We just need Jeff...

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
  #433
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,602
vCash: 500
Aren't the barons super stacked? How are they not running away in the ahl?

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
  #434
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 10,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Aren't the barons super stacked? How are they not running away in the ahl?
Because when their 4 NHLers step off they ice, they are very average.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
  #435
Neatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Because when their 4 NHLers step off they ice, they are very average.
Calling them "very average" is flattering. Those 4 NHLers (and hartikainen) are the only players on that team getting anything done.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
  #436
jebs
Registered User
 
jebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Also doesnt help that Schultz is the Barons best defensive dman too.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
  #437
MikeModano9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Barons D-core is made up of rookies and plugs. That and extreme lack of secondary scoring makes it difficult.

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:37 PM
  #438
MikeModano9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
We just need Jeff...
What would you put on the back of the jersey Ju. Schultz and Je. Schultz? Hahah

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:46 PM
  #439
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Aren't the barons super stacked? How are they not running away in the ahl?
Because much like the NHL Oilers, Oklahoma has no depth or secondary scoring. We NEED to get some bottom 6 guys who can play.

bsmith14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
  #440
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
I'd get a Ju. Schultz jersey

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:52 PM
  #441
armani
Guy Likes
 
armani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Admittedly, without watching much of him other than highlights in the summer, I want to get on the hype wagon. His stats are insane in the A, so what if he is playing on a stacked team?

Question: Which current NHLer is he comparable to?

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:07 PM
  #442
scid14
Registered User
 
scid14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Admittedly, without watching much of him other than highlights in the summer, I want to get on the hype wagon. His stats are insane in the A, so what if he is playing on a stacked team?

Question: Which current NHLer is he comparable to?
Without question: Erik Karlsson

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:39 PM
  #443
MikeModano9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
I'd agree with the EK comparable. Not saying he's close to as good as EK at the NHL level but they play the same style.

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:15 PM
  #444
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Admittedly, without watching much of him other than highlights in the summer, I want to get on the hype wagon. His stats are insane in the A, so what if he is playing on a stacked team?

Question: Which current NHLer is he comparable to?
I'd say Ehrhoff.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
  #445
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Well looks like he has quite a bit of catching up to do since all the guys you've mentioned are established nhlers on the top pairings of top teams in the NHL. So much hype for this guy...
I would take him over a number of the guys on that list. Some of them are also playing in the AHL at the moment and he is doing much better than them at this point. That said he was in college until this season so it's kind of hard for him to be an established NHLer wouldn't you say?

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:01 PM
  #446
Hynh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
established nhlers on the top pairings of top teams in the NHL.
Really? Only Doughty, Pietrangelo and maybe Carlson are established top pairing players on top teams.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:00 AM
  #447
simplefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeModano9 View Post
I'd agree with the EK comparable. Not saying he's close to as good as EK at the NHL level but they play the same style.
Erik Karlsson is a REALLY REALLY special player. No one expected him would be that good....not offensively necessarily. But to be such an effective defenseman.

You cannot project Schultz to be like Karlsson because Karlsson was not initially projected to be a number 1 defenseman....maybe a number 2 with liabilities. But he`s a solid number 1 defenseman.

Schultz is a really interesting defenseman. He could end up being a Mike Green. But sorry, he`s playing on a stacked team and if he didn`t have those talented players he would be posting much humble numbers, about 10-20 pts in 20 games. Heck Karlsson posted 0 g 11 a in the AHL in 12 games with such a bad team.

simplefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:38 AM
  #448
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team
 
TimeForAnOilChange's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Made by MacTambLowe
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I'm not here to troll but at least you guys something back for Pronger (and ended up getting Eberle with one of the picks). We lost Schultz for absolutely nothing because he completely misled our GM and coaching staff.
I'm not here to troll, but if we win a cup with Schultz, i guess we'll be even then because Pronger also completely misled our GM and coaching staff and the fans (and i guess you could say he misled his wife too lol).

Btw, if i had the choice between winning a cup with Pronger or what we got back from the trade, which one do you think Oiler fans would take? Which one would YOU take?

Yeah, thats what i thought. And yes i'm assuming i know the answer to that question already.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:14 AM
  #449
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplefan View Post
Erik Karlsson is a REALLY REALLY special player. No one expected him would be that good....not offensively necessarily. But to be such an effective defenseman.

You cannot project Schultz to be like Karlsson because Karlsson was not initially projected to be a number 1 defenseman....maybe a number 2 with liabilities. But he`s a solid number 1 defenseman.

Schultz is a really interesting defenseman. He could end up being a Mike Green. But sorry, he`s playing on a stacked team and if he didn`t have those talented players he would be posting much humble numbers, about 10-20 pts in 20 games. Heck Karlsson posted 0 g 11 a in the AHL in 12 games with such a bad team.
The way Schultz plays, having players like RNH, Eberle, Hall definitely makes him more potent but I seriously think you're understating his game. He's a puck possession type player. He's driving the play. He doesn't need others to be effective.

And of course you can project him to be like Karlsson. Why does what Karlsson's original projection matter? That doesn't make any sense.

Also you do realize that the OKC Barons aren't even in a playoff spot right? And are only 10th best at scoring in the AHL? Not exactly killing it for a team so stacked.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:43 AM
  #450
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,270
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
I'm not here to troll, but if we win a cup with Schultz, i guess we'll be even then because Pronger also completely misled our GM and coaching staff and the fans (and i guess you could say he misled his wife too lol).

Btw, if i had the choice between winning a cup with Pronger or what we got back from the trade, which one do you think Oiler fans would take? Which one would YOU take?

Yeah, thats what i thought. And yes i'm assuming i know the answer to that question already.
See, but this situation is wildly different because now the Ducks are the ones who are on the **** end of the stick. I trust you can see how entirely different they are now.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.