HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
12-12-2012, 09:22 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Offensively, I think he will have a lot of troublesome moments in the defensive end.
Yeah, i agree with that. Offensively, he's going to step into the NHL right away and put up big numbers IMO, he's incredibly good offensively but he will need a steady D partner to make up for the inevitable mistakes that he will make in the defensive end (perhaps Nick Schultz).
He has a very high Hockey IQ so i'm pretty sure that he will improve defensively as he gains experience but there will be some definite growing pains in his first couple of seasons.
I would also like to see him put on some weight, he's a little too lean to handle big defensive responsibilities right away.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:58 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I'm not here to troll but at least you guys something back for Pronger (and ended up getting Eberle with one of the picks). We lost Schultz for absolutely nothing because he completely misled our GM and coaching staff.
Should've signed him to that pro Contract before his 4 years of NCAA was up

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:04 AM
lawrence

No, 27 gms wanted to get a free "above average" prospect. Quoted from Bob Mckenzie. AHL or not, those are monster numbers for a defencemen, let alone foward! That's crazy.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Yosemite Sam

I keep waiting for Schultz to hit a wall or at least slow down and everytime I check the boxscore, there he is. His run so far has been remarkable and I'd say the Oilers have won the lottery (pun intended) with this one. They're only a couple pieces short now.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:32 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yeah, i agree with that. Offensively, he's going to step into the NHL right away and put up big numbers IMO, he's incredibly good offensively but he will need a steady D partner to make up for the inevitable mistakes that he will make in the defensive end (perhaps Nick Schultz).
He has a very high Hockey IQ so i'm pretty sure that he will improve defensively as he gains experience but there will be some definite growing pains in his first couple of seasons.
I would also like to see him put on some weight, he's a little too lean to handle big defensive responsibilities right away.
I agree that he'll take some time to learn the defensive side of the game at the NHL level(what rookie doesn't?). But I think he can adapt using positioning, IQ and stick work to improve his effectiveness on the defensive side of the game.

But I certainly don't want to see him put on some weight. So much of his offensive game relies on his quick feet. Rather than trying to make him something he isn't (a tough, physical defender), the Oilers should get a tough physical defender for him to play with.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
MikeModano9

J. Schultz and N. Schultz would be a wicked pairing to see.

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

We just need Jeff...

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
tfong

Aren't the barons super stacked? How are they not running away in the ahl?

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Because when their 4 NHLers step off they ice, they are very average.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Because when their 4 NHLers step off they ice, they are very average.
Calling them "very average" is flattering. Those 4 NHLers (and hartikainen) are the only players on that team getting anything done.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
jebs

Also doesnt help that Schultz is the Barons best defensive dman too.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
MikeModano9

Barons D-core is made up of rookies and plugs. That and extreme lack of secondary scoring makes it difficult.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:37 PM
MikeModano9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
We just need Jeff...
What would you put on the back of the jersey Ju. Schultz and Je. Schultz? Hahah

Old
12-12-2012, 12:46 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Because much like the NHL Oilers, Oklahoma has no depth or secondary scoring. We NEED to get some bottom 6 guys who can play.

bsmith14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I'd get a Ju. Schultz jersey

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:52 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Admittedly, without watching much of him other than highlights in the summer, I want to get on the hype wagon. His stats are insane in the A, so what if he is playing on a stacked team?

Question: Which current NHLer is he comparable to?

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:07 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Admittedly, without watching much of him other than highlights in the summer, I want to get on the hype wagon. His stats are insane in the A, so what if he is playing on a stacked team?

Without question: Erik Karlsson

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:39 PM
MikeModano9

I'd agree with the EK comparable. Not saying he's close to as good as EK at the NHL level but they play the same style.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:15 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post

I'd say Ehrhoff.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Well looks like he has quite a bit of catching up to do since all the guys you've mentioned are established nhlers on the top pairings of top teams in the NHL. So much hype for this guy...
I would take him over a number of the guys on that list. Some of them are also playing in the AHL at the moment and he is doing much better than them at this point. That said he was in college until this season so it's kind of hard for him to be an established NHLer wouldn't you say?

12-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
established nhlers on the top pairings of top teams in the NHL.
Really? Only Doughty, Pietrangelo and maybe Carlson are established top pairing players on top teams.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:00 AM
simplefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeModano9 View Post
I'd agree with the EK comparable. Not saying he's close to as good as EK at the NHL level but they play the same style.
Erik Karlsson is a REALLY REALLY special player. No one expected him would be that good....not offensively necessarily. But to be such an effective defenseman.

You cannot project Schultz to be like Karlsson because Karlsson was not initially projected to be a number 1 defenseman....maybe a number 2 with liabilities. But he`s a solid number 1 defenseman.

Schultz is a really interesting defenseman. He could end up being a Mike Green. But sorry, he`s playing on a stacked team and if he didn`t have those talented players he would be posting much humble numbers, about 10-20 pts in 20 games. Heck Karlsson posted 0 g 11 a in the AHL in 12 games with such a bad team.

simplefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:38 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I'm not here to troll but at least you guys something back for Pronger (and ended up getting Eberle with one of the picks). We lost Schultz for absolutely nothing because he completely misled our GM and coaching staff.
I'm not here to troll, but if we win a cup with Schultz, i guess we'll be even then because Pronger also completely misled our GM and coaching staff and the fans (and i guess you could say he misled his wife too lol).

Btw, if i had the choice between winning a cup with Pronger or what we got back from the trade, which one do you think Oiler fans would take? Which one would YOU take?

Yeah, thats what i thought. And yes i'm assuming i know the answer to that question already.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:14 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplefan View Post
Erik Karlsson is a REALLY REALLY special player. No one expected him would be that good....not offensively necessarily. But to be such an effective defenseman.

You cannot project Schultz to be like Karlsson because Karlsson was not initially projected to be a number 1 defenseman....maybe a number 2 with liabilities. But he`s a solid number 1 defenseman.

Schultz is a really interesting defenseman. He could end up being a Mike Green. But sorry, he`s playing on a stacked team and if he didn`t have those talented players he would be posting much humble numbers, about 10-20 pts in 20 games. Heck Karlsson posted 0 g 11 a in the AHL in 12 games with such a bad team.
The way Schultz plays, having players like RNH, Eberle, Hall definitely makes him more potent but I seriously think you're understating his game. He's a puck possession type player. He's driving the play. He doesn't need others to be effective.

And of course you can project him to be like Karlsson. Why does what Karlsson's original projection matter? That doesn't make any sense.

Also you do realize that the OKC Barons aren't even in a playoff spot right? And are only 10th best at scoring in the AHL? Not exactly killing it for a team so stacked.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
I'm not here to troll, but if we win a cup with Schultz, i guess we'll be even then because Pronger also completely misled our GM and coaching staff and the fans (and i guess you could say he misled his wife too lol).

Btw, if i had the choice between winning a cup with Pronger or what we got back from the trade, which one do you think Oiler fans would take? Which one would YOU take?

Yeah, thats what i thought. And yes i'm assuming i know the answer to that question already.
See, but this situation is wildly different because now the Ducks are the ones who are on the **** end of the stick. I trust you can see how entirely different they are now.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote