HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Drew311
Bustlander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Did people think Lundqvist , Elliot , Halak , Kipprusoff, Miller, Rinne, to be amazing goalies at the NHL level when they were drafted ?

The thing with goalies is they are a total crapshoot , Sparks could develop really nice over the nice 5 years , and turn out to be a good NHL goalie. Anything could happen.
In the next draft Burke should draft Monahan and 6 goalies.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Trunz05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR2112 View Post
Frattin is wayyy better defensively.
Kadri will stare at a 2 on 1 that he could have prevented.
Frattin is not wayyy better defensively than Kadri, both are average to below average in their own end.
If i was forced to choose which of them was better defensively it would be Frattin by a hair, the difference between the two defensively is not as big as most here make it out to be.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
In the next draft Burke should draft Monahan and 6 goalies.
Considering we need a #1 C and a #1 goalie , not a bad move .

Old
12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunz05 View Post
Frattin is not wayyy better defensively than Kadri, both are average to below average in their own end.
If i was forced to choose which of them was better defensively it would be Frattin by a hair, the difference between the two defensively is not as big as most here make it out to be.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I think Frattin is much better defensively.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Considering we need a #1 C and a #1 goalie , not a bad move .
We should make it even, so 4 centers with monahan or one of the top 10 centers. Trade a player for another late pick and then draft 4 goalies, preferable fucale or martin

12-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I think Frattin is much better defensively.
He is because he also has solid strength, if Kadri has 3 years of development period I am sure it would be close atleast, but at point it can't be said.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He is because he also has solid strength, if Kadri has 3 years of development period I am sure it would be close atleast, but at point it can't be said.
I don't think Kadri will ever have the core strength Frattin has. Even if you gave him 3 more years.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Trunz05

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Fair enough everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Just out of curiousity though what makes Frattin so much better defensively than Kadri in your eyes?

The only thing that i can think of is Kadri's number of giveaways which simply comes from having the puck on his stick more often/longer than Frattin.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:15 PM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunz05 View Post
Fair enough everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Just out of curiousity though what makes Frattin so much better defensively than Kadri in your eyes?

The only thing that i can think of is Kadri's number of giveaways which simply comes from having the puck on his stick more often/longer than Frattin.
It isn't the giveaways, that comes with Kadri's game and I'm fine with that. It's the extra effort to get back sometimes. I wish I had a clip but if you watch enough Marlies games you'll see it. It seems like Kadri turns on his motor in the offensive zone and looks disinterested in helping to prevent a scoring chance. I will say he has improved though, and I hope he gets better.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Did people think Lundqvist , Elliot , Halak , Kipprusoff, Miller, Rinne, to be amazing goalies at the NHL level when they were drafted ?

The thing with goalies is they are a total crapshoot , Sparks could develop really nice over the nice 5 years , and turn out to be a good NHL goalie. Anything could happen.
Yup, the learning curve is ridiculous for goalies. There are plenty of goalies too who get drafted in the first round and end up as nothing special.

Chet Pickard, Trevor Kidd, Martin Biron (I guess it's not fair to include him, he's actually a decent goalie and was never really given a fair shot outside of Philly) come to mind, and there are many more.

Most of the NHL's starting goalies were drafted in later rounds or were not drafted at all.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Trunz05

Quote:
It isn't the giveaways, that comes with Kadri's game and I'm fine with that. It's the extra effort to get back sometimes. I wish I had a clip but if you watch enough Marlies games you'll see it. It seems like Kadri turns on his motor in the offensive zone and looks disinterested in helping to prevent a scoring chance. I will say he has improved though, and I hope he gets better.
Fair enough, I find there are times when both will backcheck and play good enough defense but also times where both look lazy in the defensive end.

Just different opinions i guess.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:51 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
I don't think Kadri will ever have the core strength Frattin has. Even if you gave him 3 more years.
Maybe not, but there's still a big difference in someone who's almost 25 and another person who's 22. For males, once you hit 25, your body really fills out and you actually have a "man's body" instead of the body of a teenager. In 3 years I'm sure Kadri will have filled out as well.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:05 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
And I can guarantee u that frattin will never have better hands than kadri. Kadri is a way better prospect than frattin idk how people are even arguing this

Old
12-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
And I can guarantee u that frattin will never have better hands than kadri. Kadri is a way better prospect than frattin idk how people are even arguing this
That really is debatable at best. Frattin has an NHL level shot and NHL level strength and physicality, Kadri is more of a finesse skill player who really isn't effective at all if he isn't hitting the score sheet.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:01 PM
TmlHockeyFan

I wonder if Kadri is going to train with Gary Roberts again next summer. He has shown improvements (even though he's fat now ). I hope he trains with Gary Roberts but this time sticks with it for longer periods.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Animal

broll-dozer pots his 10th of the season

Old
12-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
broll-dozer pots his 10th of the season
He is our next Kessel!

Old
12-12-2012, 10:31 PM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
When did I say Frattin is a better prospect than Kadri?
All I said was Kadri will never possess the core strength Frattin has.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
That really is debatable at best. Frattin has an NHL level shot and NHL level strength and physicality, Kadri is more of a finesse skill player who really isn't effective at all if he isn't hitting the score sheet.
Neither is Frattin considering he rarely hits and doesn't kill penalties.

That doesn't mean he isn't good defensively, but let's not kid ourselves. Frattin isn't some Selke worthy hall of fame 3rd line grinder.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Neither is Frattin considering he rarely hits and doesn't kill penalties.

That doesn't mean he isn't good defensively, but let's not kid ourselves. Frattin isn't some Selke worthy hall of fame 3rd line grinder.
False. He's hitting a lot this year.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:21 AM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:

Elliott is not an amazing goalie. At all. And if you dare try to talk about the season he just had, I will hire Ilya Bryzgalov and Steve Mason to slap the taste out of your mouth.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Elliott is not an amazing goalie. At all. And if you dare try to talk about the season he just had, I will hire Ilya Bryzgalov and Steve Mason to slap the taste out of your mouth.
Ok switch Elliot with Hasek , point is still there.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:44 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
False. He's hitting a lot this year.
watching him in the ahl he hits a lot more than in the nhl. its more about translating his game imo.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:16 AM
rdawg1234

goalies really dont develop fully until they hit about 22-25, before then it really is a crapshoot unless they are noticeably above their class(I.e Price, Fleury).
the 1st round drafted goalies tend to have amazing athleticism and sensibility, the problem still is as they mature, they still might not be able to handle the pressure, which is probably the biggest reason why you dont see goalies develop fully until their mid-20's.

always smart to draft a goalie, you never know when you have a johnathan quick in the late rounders.(I havent checked, but has every draft produced a starting goalie? say since before 2008?)

Old
12-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
goalies really dont develop fully until they hit about 22-25, before then it really is a crapshoot unless they are noticeably above their class(I.e Price, Fleury).
the 1st round drafted goalies tend to have amazing athleticism and sensibility, the problem still is as they mature, they still might not be able to handle the pressure, which is probably the biggest reason why you dont see goalies develop fully until their mid-20's.

always smart to draft a goalie, you never know when you have a johnathan quick in the late rounders.(I havent checked, but has every draft produced a starting goalie? say since before 2008?)
I was curious so I looked. Didn't have to look any farther than 2007 Allen York I would guess has the most NHL experience out of all the goalies. He was the only one I recognized. He was that guy who played a few games for Columbus this year.

2006 has Bernier, Varlamov, Irving, Neuvrith, Enroth, Mason and Reimer as names I recognize. Irving and Enroth I don't think have cracked the NHL yet.

2005 has Price, Rask, Pavelec, Quick and Bishop as names I recognize. Some pretty good goalies from that draft.

2004 has Montoya, Dubynk, Schneider, (Pogge), Ramo, Rinne.

As we continue to go farther back I would assume more years like that of 2005/2006 where there are a bunch of recognized names and good goalies. Can't be bothered to check though.

Closed Thread