HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 09:47 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Nope, don't be ridiculous.

No top six players from the Leafs will be traded for Roberto. I also can't see Brian Burke parting with a first round pick.

Matt Finn, however painful that would be for most who have followed him this year, could be had though.
Then the discussion ends here. No quality assets coming to Vancouver means Luongo will not suit up for the Leafs. It's that simple.

12-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo, Raymond for Grabovski, Finn and a 1st round pick.
Trading Grabovski for Luongo is like robbing the poor to feed the other poor.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Then the discussion ends here. No quality assets coming to Vancouver means Luongo will not suit up for the Leafs. It's that simple.

Think it through Y2K: If the intent is for Burke to push to make the playoffs now, he must retain as many roster pieces as possible. The "give" will come in the form of non-established NHL talent, prospects on the cusp and/or long-term prospects/picks. He can't go "all in" and then start dealing top6 forwards. It makes no sense for him to do that.

The value will come in the form of futures.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

I'm thinking Luongo and a 2nd round pick to Edmonton for Hemsky, Hartikainen, and a 1st looks pretty good.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:55 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Think it through Y2K: If the intent is for Burke to push to make the playoffs now, he must retain as many roster pieces as possible. The "give" will come in the form of non-established NHL talent, prospects on the cusp and/or long-term prospects/picks. He can't go "all in" and then start dealing top6 forwards. It makes no sense for him to do that.

Which the Leafs don't have much of, in terms of quality value for Luongo.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I'm thinking Luongo and a 2nd round pick to Edmonton for Hemsky, Hartikainen, and a 1st looks pretty good.

I would actually do Luongo for Bozak + Kadri + 1st over that, assuming EDM also top10 protects their 1st, which they will (hypothetically of course).

Old
12-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Okay but to be fair, top six forwards are not the only thing that counts as quality assets.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Which the Leafs don't have much of, in terms of quality value for Luongo.

Sure they do. Kadri is of value, if you like him as a prospect. As is their 1st, even if it's protected. The Leafs have the future assets to deal... They don't if you are dead set on getting Finn/Gardiner though...

Old
12-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
I think Burke would offer a choice between the 1st and/or Finn/Percy... and I'm betting VAN insists on the 1st.
If this is the case, i believe a deal doesn't happen. If the CBA was signed a while ago, sure, but not now.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Oh, if only.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
The names have more cache. Kadri and Bozak are names far more likely to draw the average Leafs fan's interest than a standard 1st rounder would. Kadri is much more _known_ as the main asset, in a package like that, than any 1st.
Have you by chance followed the Leafs lately, i mean even loosely? We don't exactly pick late in the draft. If there is a chance that our 1st is top 5...that holds more value right now.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:28 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
And that's perfectly fine by me. Roberto is a good goalie but you don't gut an organization in other places to satisfy another.

If this represents Gillis's views, then Roberto is more than likely staying with the Canucks.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If this is the case, i believe a deal doesn't happen. If the CBA was signed a while ago, sure, but not now.
I could see a 2014 1st perhaps. 2013 not so much.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
And that's perfectly fine by me. Roberto is a good goalie but you don't gut an organization in other places to satisfy another.

If this represents Gillis's views, then Roberto is more than likely staying with the Canucks.
My friend....we've disagreed alot, but on this, i'm with you. If Gillis sticks to his guns....then i agree, Burke should walk away.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:32 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think you overvaluing the pick, and I think most Vancouver fans are fine with next years first.

This years first rder is a bit of a double edged sword, if the season is missed, as you could get a high pick...but you could also get screwed and get a late one.

and what are you worried about? toronto was firing on all cylinders until the all star break. Quite possible that they make the playoffs in a shortened season with or without Luongo. They tend fall apart as the season drags on.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I think you overvaluing the pick, and I think most Vancouver fans are fine with next years first.

This years first rder is a bit of a double edged sword, if the season is missed, as you could get a high pick...but you could also get screwed and get a late one.

and what are you worried about? toronto was firing on all cylinders until the all star break. Quite possible that they make the playoffs in a shortened season with or without Luongo. They tend fall apart as the season drags on.
Or....we go on another 0-17 run...

Old
12-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Have you by chance followed the Leafs lately, i mean even loosely? We don't exactly pick late in the draft. If there is a chance that our 1st is top 5...that holds more value right now.

Not if it is protected, or if it is deferred. In those cases, the pick does not hold more value IMO. Kadri, for all the crap he takes, is still a PPG forward in the AHL, with much pomp and circumstance to his name. He would absolutely garner more attention to the average fan, leafs or otherwise.

With Luongo, your chances of drafting top 5 are slim, and non-existent if the pick is protected.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Not from this Oiler fan's POV. I wouldn't touch that deal in a million years.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:48 AM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Luongo, Raymond for Grabovski, Finn and a 1st round pick.
Take out Grabovski and Raymond and replace Finn with one ofPercy/Kadri/Bozak

Old
12-12-2012, 10:50 AM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Not if it is protected, or if it is deferred. In those cases, the pick does not hold more value IMO. Kadri, for all the crap he takes, is still a PPG forward in the AHL, with much pomp and circumstance to his name. He would absolutely garner more attention to the average fan, leafs or otherwise.

With Luongo, your chances of drafting top 5 are slim, and non-existent if the pick is protected.
If you are so sure that we won't be drafting 5th overall or lower with Luongo in net, than you should have no problem with the 1st being top 10 protected than, right?

Old
12-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:

Ding Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!

Old
12-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
If you are so sure that we won't be drafting 5th overall or lower with Luongo in net, than you should have no problem with the 1st being top 10 protected than, right?

The pick will be protected regardless at this point. Over an 82 game schedule, I would hope that Gillis insist on an unprotected 1st, but not now. The risk would be too great to TO, depending on when they consummate the deal.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:02 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I would actually do Luongo for Bozak + Kadri + 1st over that, assuming EDM also top10 protects their 1st, which they will (hypothetically of course).
This whole issue of top 10 protected is just fan fabrication. A final deal will most likely have no such garbage.

I wouldn't do Bozak and Kadri over that. Bozak is extremely overrated here now, and I'm not big on Kadri at all. If Grabner couldn't make it here, Kadri certainly won't. At least with the Edmonton proposal we are getting a top 6 forward and a better prospect.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Take out Grabovski and Raymond and replace Finn with one ofPercy/Kadri/Bozak
No interest in trading Luongo for B/C prospects. Give us value or we will keep him/trade him elsewhere. If you don't have a problem with that then I guess everyone will be happy.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
The pick will be protected regardless at this point. Over an 82 game schedule, I would hope that Gillis insist on an unprotected 1st, but not now. The risk would be too great to TO, depending on when they consummate the deal.
The ONLY way a 1st is included is if the season is a go. THEN, it depends on how many games. If the season is canceled...the pick stays and i believe Burke looks at what other goalies are available before commiting anything for Luongo. IMO, Van better hope the season is a go as i feel there will be other options if not. That also depends of course on what the new CBA sets the cap at....and any penalties.

Closed Thread