HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Walking Dead: Season 3 (Part IV) Returns Feb. 10th

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
Hoepfully this wasn't asked, I looked back a ways and didn't see it.

Why did Maggie shoot that criminal in the head after he was killed in the shootout. I know the whole "take care of your own" shtick they all have going, but why not leave him to turn. He was inside the compound, he could have stirred up a bit more trouble after he zombiefied. Plus she wasted a bullet that could have been used at a later date.

She should have left him to turn, made them dispose of him. Who knows, with all the chaos going on, he may have got a few of them before they got him.
I think it's just a learned, instinctive response to death now. You don't even think about it. You just shoot them in the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
When I read about people loving The Walking Dead, it's like someone saying they love Five Guys. While it's certainly a tasty meal, it ain't a steak. And this is where my terrible metaphor stops working: high quality television isn't more expensive like a steak is to a burger.

If you're watching The Walking Dead for the writing and acting, I'm compelled to wonder why. There are dozens of shows that are better and are just as accessible.

Sorry if I come off as a know-it-all/elitist/jerk, but it's frustrating to see people settle for anything less than great when they don't have to.
I mostly watch it for the action, and while I recognize the acting, writing, and character development aren't top-notch, they're still good enough that I can enjoy the show.

12-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:

Why did Maggie shoot that criminal in the head after he was killed in the shootout. I know the whole "take care of your own" shtick they all have going, but why not leave him to turn. He was inside the compound, he could have stirred up a bit more trouble after he zombiefied. Plus she wasted a bullet that could have been used at a later date.

She should have left him to turn, made them dispose of him. Who knows, with all the chaos going on, he may have got a few of them before they got him.
I she didn't do it the woodbury crew would have.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:16 PM
jw2

Quote:

They were not out yet. If he turned, right then, he'd be nibbling on her leg.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
When I read about people loving The Walking Dead, it's like someone saying they love Five Guys. While it's certainly a tasty meal, it ain't a steak. And this is where my terrible metaphor stops working: high quality television isn't more expensive like a steak is to a burger.

If you're watching The Walking Dead for the writing and acting, I'm compelled to wonder why. There are dozens of shows that are better and are just as accessible.

Sorry if I come off as a know-it-all/elitist/jerk, but it's frustrating to see people settle for anything less than great when they don't have to.
I don't watch for action, acting quality, writing, or zombies.

I watch it for the premise, which is a post-apocalyptic drama with an acceptable level of the above. I had high hopes for Revolution, but that show ended terribly, which means Walking Dead is one of the few good post-apocalyptic shows out there. I don't know why, but I am just fascinated with anything post-apocalyptic. As of right now, there is nothing in that category that is better, so why not stick with what is the king of it's domain?

Well, I also watch just because I loved the comic books and it's always interesting to see how they adapt it from that.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:08 PM
DRWCountryClub

Too bad that people are being asked to validate their reasons for liking this show.

Anyway, I don't know about anyone else, but I find it a bit harder to get through some episodes since Rick doesn't really have Shane anymore for a battle of wills. Hopefully there is a good dynamic between Rick and the Governor in season 3.5.

Hell, I don't even think Rick has been enough of a factor so far this season. I understand he had to have a hiatus and it as nice to see him go through some changes as far as dealing with Lori's death and becoming more focused on survival, but as far as I can tell this is a show about Rick(and Carl) and I don't feel like he's been enough of 'The Guy' so far.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:17 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Too bad that people are being asked to validate their reasons for liking this show.

Anyway, I don't know about anyone else, but I find it a bit harder to get through some episodes since Rick doesn't really have Shane anymore for a battle of wills. Hopefully there is a good dynamic between Rick and the Governor in season 3.5.

Hell, I don't even think Rick has been enough of a factor so far this season. I understand he had to have a hiatus and it as nice to see him go through some changes as far as dealing with Lori's death and becoming more focused on survival, but as far as I can tell this is a show about Rick(and Carl) and I don't feel like he's been enough of 'The Guy' so far.
Not only the battle of wills between Shane/Rick but Shane was such a presence on screen. I don't feel that with the Governor. I know he will eventually face off against Rick and lose. Sure there will be some collateral damage. You have so many introductions of new characters in Season 3 it's impossible to focus on Rick/Carl or anyone else for that matter.

The tension with Rick & Shane was superior because of the build up and history.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Behn Wilson

I dont think there needs to be tension within the group. The group can be just as entertaining to watch without internal tension struggling to survive against the outside world. SOme of the internal strife w Shane, Lori etc was getting a little grating, save it for their battle w Outsiders & Walkers.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
I dont think there needs to be tension within the group. The group can be just as entertaining to watch without internal tension struggling to survive against the outside world. SOme of the internal strife w Shane, Lori etc was getting a little grating, save it for their battle w Outsiders & Walkers.
That's not the point. Rick has yet to even meet the Governor but surely they will do battle. There is another thing they might have robbed us of here in finale. Merle making the decision for his brother or the governor. The Governor pretty much forced his hand but I would have liked to see the way that played out.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Not only the battle of wills between Shane/Rick but Shane was such a presence on screen. I don't feel that with the Governor. I know he will eventually face off against Rick and lose. Sure there will be some collateral damage. You have so many introductions of new characters in Season 3 it's impossible to focus on Rick/Carl or anyone else for that matter.

The tension with Rick & Shane was superior because of the build up and history.
Yeah I agree. Shane was and is my favourite character. Great acting, and like you said, great presence. You never knew what he would do next, every episode had me on edge(I actually liked the second season, in the minority there I guess). I wish he could have left and had a side story with him.

I'm also having a hard time with all the characters, and I think that's a reason to have more of Rick. He's basically the only one I'm interested in beyond Daryl(who's plotline is the most interesting to me in S3) because I don't know, or haven't had to care about anyone else.

Glenn I'm liking more, but I feel he really needs to do something big to validate his development. Hasn't happened yet.

Quote:
I don't know if it's a necessity, but it was certainly interesting, to me at least. Rick hasn't even met this seasons antagonist, and Andrea is certainly grating me more than Lori ever did(although definitely enjoy the skin shots).

Old
12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Yeah I agree. Shane was and is my favourite character. Great acting, and like you said, great presence. You never knew what he would do next, every episode had me on edge(I actually liked the second season, in the minority there I guess). I wish he could have left and had a side story with him.

I'm also having a hard time with all the characters, and I think that's a reason to have more of Rick. He's basically the only one I'm interested in beyond Daryl(who's plotline is the most interesting to me in S3) because I don't know, or haven't had to care about anyone else.
).
Exactly. Shane was a complete wildcard and he made you believe it. He slowly went further away from the person he once was. He was possibly always that person but now didn't fear repercussions. If you take a lot of the filler out of Season 2, you have some great moments. Shane killing the guy to save himself. The scene at the barn. The show down with Rick at the school and his final episode. This mixed in with the reveal that they're all infected. Rick merely battling zombies is kind of boring in comparison.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:48 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Exactly. Shane was a complete wildcard and he made you believe it. He slowly went further away from the person he once was. He was possibly always that person but now didn't fear repercussions. If you take a lot of the filler out of Season 2, you have some great moments. Shane killing the guy to save himself. The scene at the barn. The show down with Rick at the school and his final episode. This mixed in with the reveal that they're all infected. Rick merely battling zombies is kind of boring in comparison.
Yup.

I know the Governor has been argued, and that the writers wanted to bring his evil around slowly, but it might have helped to have him be a bit more terrible early on so we as an audience could hate him more and cheer more for Rick to really get him, and also fear for our group.

If he had sexually assaulted Michonne and she escaped or something, I think it really would have given the show more of the edge it's been lacking. This is someone that Rick needs to put down, etc.

I, like some others, still don't hate the guy that much. Other than the Maggie thing/lying a lot, there's not too much to hate about the guy. He's just a creep.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I've enjoyed all the seasons so far. But my most memorable scenes are still from the earliest stages of the show.

The scene where Rick took a horse into the eerily quiet streets of Atlanta, not knowing what was in store for him. That still stands to me as the best scene of the show.

Also, the scene where Rick wakes up in the hospital, not knowing that he has woken up in a post apocalyptic world. The moment he woke up to the moment that he took refuge inside a house was fascinating TV.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:43 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I've enjoyed all the seasons so far. But my most memorable scenes are still from the earliest stages of the show.

The scene where Rick took a horse into the eerily quiet streets of Atlanta, not knowing what was in store for him. That still stands to me as the best scene of the show.

Also, the scene where Rick wakes up in the hospital, not knowing that he has woken up in a post apocalyptic world. The moment he woke up to the moment that he took refuge inside a house was fascinating TV.
Exactly. This show had one of the best pilot of any series. Everything after that, didn't live up to it.

The Walking Dead is the most popular show on TV right now. Ahead of Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk, etc. I don't think that's justified at all and I think it's only because the post-apocalyptic/zombie genre is fascinating and entertaining which I can understand. It's a good show but without the post-apocalyptic appeal it should not be mentioned let alone be more popular than some of the shows mentioned.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:59 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
Exactly. This show had one of the best pilot of any series. Everything after that, didn't live up to it.

The Walking Dead is the most popular show on TV right now. Ahead of Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk, etc. I don't think that's justified at all and I think it's only because the post-apocalyptic/zombie genre is fascinating and entertaining which I can understand. It's a good show but without the post-apocalyptic appeal it should not be mentioned let alone be more popular than some of the shows mentioned.
TWD appeals to a larger age range. The kids are eating it up but it's also drawing in a decent adult audience. The other shows you listed simply don't do that.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:07 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Live up to what, exactly? The pilot was amazing because they did a great job of introducing us to the world that Rick now has to deal with. You can only do that once. At some point the shock factor of dealing with the environment is going to wear off, and I think they have done a good job of introducing Rick to new elements that affect the show.

Quote:
But the point is it DOES have the post-apocalyptic appeal and are running with it. It is the entire identity of the show.

I agree that Shane was a dynamite character on the show (and from time to time I think about how I miss the guy), but it was the right time for him to go. Perhaps if they had slowed his descent into madness we could have him for more than 2 seasons, but I'm not sure how long that would last before that became stale.

Last edited by ArGarBarGar: 12-12-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old
12-12-2012, 02:57 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Live up to what, exactly? The pilot was amazing because they did a great job of introducing us to the world that Rick now has to deal with. You can only do that once. At some point the shock factor of dealing with the environment is going to wear off, and I think they have done a good job of introducing Rick to new elements that affect the show.
The pilot was amazing largely due to the production value and the direction of the technical aspects of the show (cinematography, etc), and most importantly it wasn't/or didn't have a chance to be hindered by poor writing. I don't see how the pilot would ever wear off, it was amazingly shot and touched upon many issues coherently. Put that same direction into the series and who knows...

Shane is a perfect example of what the show did better than the comics. If they have more dynamic characters like Shane in the show than it would blow the comics out in that department. Heck I know I'm in the minority here but I like the governor a lot better on the show than the one dimensional crazy/evil maniac portrayed in the comics.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:57 AM
StrictlyCommercial

I like the show because it's entertaining. Sure the acting and writing is subpar at times, but apart from the start of the 2nd season it has been quite entertaining throughout.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I like the show because it's entertaining. Sure the acting and writing is subpar at times, but apart from the start of the 2nd season it has been quite entertaining throughout.
Posters on this thread are putting people on the defensive. I dont find the acting or writing to be subpar at all unless your picking on minutia of minor characters and looking for faults.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:22 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

this thread is just a huge headache

Old
12-12-2012, 10:10 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
Posters on this thread are putting people on the defensive. I dont find the acting or writing to be subpar at all unless your picking on minutia of minor characters and looking for faults.
You do realize you can be a fan of the show but still find faults in it. That's part of really diving in to the show. With the exception of Rick, Shane, Herschel, Daryl, the acting has been pretty bad at times. Writing in terms of character development is lacking.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Everlasting

Great show, great character development and this season has been awesome.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:14 AM
DRWCountryClub

I personally don't see what's so bad about the acting in this show.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:

Agreed. I enjoy the show, but it's really no where close to the level of Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones etc. My roommate and I discussed this once, and agreed that Walking Dead is really a show for the common denominator. Shows like the ones I mentioned require you to think much more and can sometimes leave viewers confused/in the dark, whereas Walking Dead is pretty clear. I have friends that hate Breaking Bad because they say it's too slow and boring, but love Walking Dead. It just caters to a broader audience. Not saying it's a show for dumb people, but it's much less complex/difficult to follow and requires no attention, whereas the others require some thinking to follow.

Last edited by Rob Brown: 12-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Agreed. I enjoy the show, but it's really no where close to the level of Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones etc. My roommate and I discussed this once, and agreed that Walking Dead is really a show for the common denominator. Shows like the ones I mentioned require you to think much more and can sometimes leave viewers confused/in the dark, whereas Walking Dead is pretty clear. I have friends that hate Breaking Bad because they say it's too slow and boring, but love Walking Dead. It just caters to a broader audience. Not saying it's a show for dumb people, but it's much less complex/difficult to follow and requires no attention, whereas the others require some thinking to follow.
It is what you make of it. Some people still need TV shows to be little kids books and explain everything. I dont think the Walking Dead is like that. You can think and predict as much as you want about it, or not at all.

Honestly, I personally think some of the shows you listed are some of THE most overrated shows on TV right now. But, none of them kept my interest because sometimes it would take 4 freakin hours to explain 1 thing.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
It is what you make of it. Some people still need TV shows to be little kids books and explain everything. I dont think the Walking Dead is like that. You can think and predict as much as you want about it, or not at all.

Honestly, I personally think some of the shows you listed are some of THE most overrated shows on TV right now. But, none of them kept my interest because sometimes it would take 4 freakin hours to explain 1 thing.
Not sure you can really call any of them overrated, considering all three have been nominated for major awards. And you know, Walking Dead has a much larger viewer base, so if any of the four shows I mentioned is overrated, it's that.

And it takes a while for things to play out in the other three shows I mentioned, but that's the appeal of it. It requires thought and analysis, whereas Walking Dead is pretty much laid out for you episode to episode. You can pretty much guess what's going to happen in most cases. You can't in the others. Walking Dead obviously targets a much broader audience, one that wants action and sheer entertainment rather than a well written story that you actually have to invest time into.

But you are right that any show is what you make of it. I know people who watch BB and are still out of the loop and don't understand what's going on, but some that are really well versed.

Last edited by Rob Brown: 12-12-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Closed Thread