HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
collegehockeyguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Well I voiced my opinion about the U of M in the draft thread. I think it's among the worst run programs in the NCAA. For having their pick of the litter of every single MN player they should have a bit more success to show for it. I don't think they develop players well.

That said, the gaffes Skjei made tonight were not the result of coaching. That's on him. I just hope he can find a way to correct them.
well its a good thing youre not a talent evaluator because Mike Guentzel (Minnesotas Defensive coach) developed Keith Ballard, Alex Goligoski, Jordan Leopold, Paul Martin, Stu Bickel, Erik Johnson, etc etc.. he returned to Minnesota last year and their defense became the #1 defense in the WCHA on the year, as it is again this year.

Id expect you to know that, seeing as how you're halfway knowledgeable about ncaa puck so either A) you are mistaken and are thinking about another coach that doesnt develop NHL talent or B) you truly are not impressed with Guentzel's resume, in which case i am really interested in hearing more. there is an option C) (you are a Wisconsin fan and are running a smear campaign against a coach in an attempt to flaw his reputation or the Gopher program) but i really hope youre above that.

you, me and anyone else that has watched skjei can see that skjei is battling through a confidence problem right now. players go through that at every level in any organization.. its up to skjei to fight his way out of it. as for the guy that said the Rangers cant be happy with skjei sitting, the Rangers should be THRILLED Guentzel kept giving him shifts through the 3rd period in an attempt to help him out of his funk, considering the mistakes skjei was making. quite honestly the rangers would have sat him had it been their call (see their treatment of stu bickel in any tight game last year)

Old
12-10-2012, 09:16 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegehockeyguy View Post
well its a good thing youre not a talent evaluator because Mike Guentzel (Minnesotas Defensive coach) developed Keith Ballard, Alex Goligoski, Jordan Leopold, Paul Martin, Stu Bickel, Erik Johnson, etc etc.. he returned to Minnesota last year and their defense became the #1 defense in the WCHA on the year, as it is again this year.

Id expect you to know that, seeing as how you're halfway knowledgeable about ncaa puck so either A) you are mistaken and are thinking about another coach that doesnt develop NHL talent or B) you truly are not impressed with Guentzel's resume, in which case i am really interested in hearing more. there is an option C) (you are a Wisconsin fan and are running a smear campaign against a coach in an attempt to flaw his reputation or the Gopher program) but i really hope youre above that.

you, me and anyone else that has watched skjei can see that skjei is battling through a confidence problem right now. players go through that at every level in any organization.. its up to skjei to fight his way out of it. as for the guy that said the Rangers cant be happy with skjei sitting, the Rangers should be THRILLED Guentzel kept giving him shifts through the 3rd period in an attempt to help him out of his funk, considering the mistakes skjei was making. quite honestly the rangers would have sat him had it been their call (see their treatment of stu bickel in any tight game last year)
The reason he's having a confidence problems is likely because he's not getting a regular shift on a regular basis. Sitting games can be pretty de-moralizing, and you cannot hit a groove if you don't know when you're next shift is coming.

And I know you're not referring to me in the above part of your post but I thought I'd chime in. Every single defenseman you listed was born in Minnesota. It's like HS said, they get the pick of the litter from the state of hockey and they're successful, but these players are drafted before they go to the program. Especially a guy like Erik Johnson, he was considered a generational talent at the draft, and likely could have gone straight to the NHL. I'm not a college hockey expert, but I've read plenty of negative opinions on the program in recent years.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

First of all, not a Badger fan. I've been a BC fan my entire life. At college a lot of my buddies were from Minnesota so I started following the Gophers a bit, and proceeded to live in MN for 3 years where I watched just about every game.

Second of all, of the players you mentioned - I'd say at most 2-3 of them I would consider good in their own end. You mention EJ, he is actually specifically a case of poor development in my opinion. I know he only played one year at the U, but IMO there was very little he actually improved at.

And that brings me back to my original point - which is that I don't have a great deal of faith in the MN coaching staff (entire staff). I mean there is a reason why they have struggled, especially in the NCAA tourney over the last 5-7 years and it isn't lack of talent. The Gophers should have a college hockey dynasty, they get their pick of the best talent in the US. But you watch their games and it at times is like watching a great game of park hockey. Every single player is a phenomenal athlete and skater, and the big sheet at Mariucci helps them capitalize on that, but the structure and discipline often isn't there.

Look I have nothing against the Gophers. I would love to see them do well, their fans sure deserve it. However I feel their reputation for developing prospects is a bit overrated, and has more to do with the talent they bring in than the development they do while they're there.

12-10-2012, 09:33 PM
collegehockeyguy

colonials hockey- so when these kids develop and move on to the NHL its the kids talent that got them there, and when they don't then its the coach? will you concede on how unfair that argument is? and do the same standards apply for guys in the rangers organization (if they develop its the player, if they dont its the organization?)

swayze- fair enough. i can appreciate your opinion so lets look at guys that are not high end talent. their only 2 D-men that went undrafted. can you offer your thoughts on how nate schmidt (undrafted) has developed under Guentzel, and jake parenteau (undrafted)?

Last edited by collegehockeyguy: 12-10-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 02:36 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
colonials hockey- so when these kids develop and move on to the NHL its the kids talent that got them there, and when they don't then its the coach? will you concede on how unfair that argument is? and do the same standards apply for guys in the rangers organization (if they develop its the player, if they dont its the organization?)

swayze- fair enough. i can appreciate your opinion so lets look at guys that are not high end talent. their only 2 D-men that went undrafted. can you offer your thoughts on how nate schmidt (undrafted) has developed under Guentzel, and jake parenteau (undrafted)?
Of all of those defenseman you listed, they were all highly touted before college. None of them became stars. I would mention EJ but injuries are a concern with him; I think things were moving along smoothly after he left Minnesota. Really not sure what he has to do with this discussion anyway. Players like Martin, Leopold, Ballard were drafted 10+ years ago. Then you have players like Aaron Ness, who's development somewhat stalled after arriving at the U, and Nick Leddy, who left after an unspectacular freshman year. There have been rumors for ages about Don Lucia doing a poor job developing players.

Would you care to name some defenseman that experienced significant development at UMinn that weren't drafted high or even at all? Bickel went straight to the ECHL after one year at Minnesota (in fact many of those guys only spent 1-2 years there). I highly doubt he attributes his potential journeyman career to them. That's one top pairing defenseman (a disappointment at that), 5 middle pairing guys, and a journeyman in the past 15 years. Not even going into the specifics that's a disappointing turnout for the university with so much to choose from. Meanwhile Wisconsin's entire group from the 09-10 season will be NHLers, some of them already established stars or well on their way.

On the Rangers, players like Del Zotto, Sauer, Girardi and McDonagh improved drastically in multiple areas when they joined the organization. Look at MDZ's turnaround, Girardi's improvement from joining the ECHL undrafted to now and McDonagh being catapulted to stardom. At certain points in their career Sauer and Girardi's futures were questionable, while McDonagh (a MN-born Badger) and MDZ were looking like they had serious question marks. Staal has obviously improved and is our #1 guy I'd argue, but I saw this coming well before he joined the Rangers. Tortorella has done a flat out fantastic job with our defensemen.

I'm not upset about Skjei's choice and I'm not worried. I'm just saying they have a poor track record in comparison to other schools. Doesn't mean they won't compete hard for a national championship this year.

Last edited by ColonialsHockey10: 12-11-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old
12-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Interesting stat: Jakub Petruzalek is currently 4th overall in KHL scoring - 1 point behind Evgeni Malkin. Tomas Zaborsky is currently 13th overall.

It goes to show that these guys really did have ability when they were drafted - they just didn't pan out for whatever reason (most likely size/strength). It also shows the differences in these leagues when you see these smaller offensive guys light it up, and a guy like Evander Kane never quite puts it together.

I doubt it ever happens, but I'd love to see the champions from the NHL/KHL face off in a 5-7 game series a few weeks after the season ends. Liability/lack of player interest probably means that we'll never see it though...
Good point.

One disclaimer though, scoring and stats from these European leagues right now are all over the place and really hard to read into. Anze Kopitar is 8th in scoring in the Swedish 2nd tier league, with 29 pts in 27 games. I've seen several games with him, and he is playing great hockey down there and while its hard to speculate on if he is giving 75% or 100%, he is finnishing checks and what not and putting on a show on a night by night basis, but he still only got 27 pts in 25 games. His team isn't the best. Many teams target him. Many games are low scoring. And what not. My point is just, it would be absurd making any parallell between the guy scoring 35 pts in 30 games in the same league and that players NHL readiness and Kopitars output. The players in the Swedish 2nd tier league are more or less at least not good top 2 unit players even in the SEL. And Kopitar is one of the best in the world.

The KHL has expanded alot lately and my impression is that the level of play somewhat has dropped off. But nobody is still putting up great numbers. A player who is hot and finds himself in a scoring position on a team that scores many goals will be high in the scoring race, while players who aren't in that position will score much less even if their names are Malkin or Ovechkin.

There are some Swedes scoring alot in the KHL who definitely aren't that good, and I've seen some of Petru and Zabrosky and neither is that good. Petru is nifty with the puck and Zabrosky is shotting the puck and moving on the ice. In diffrent environments these players all of a sudden score <0.5 PPG in the KHL.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
collegehockeyguy

colonialhockey-“Of all of those defenseman you listed, they were all highly touted before college. None of them became stars” Well three of them are Olympians and two were also All-Stars. Not sure what constitutes a “star” in your book. One of which btw won Hobey Baker under Guentzel- A Hobey Baker is generally considered to be one of the more developed players in the country. You might even call that player a “star” (well, you wouldn’t)... but if the Hobey winner didn’t further develop into a “star” in your book when he moved to the NHL that isn’t Guentzel’s problem.

colonialhockey-“Meanwhile Wisconsin's entire group from the 09-10 season will be NHLers, some of them already established stars or well on their way” Schultz, McDonagh, Gardiner… these are 1st and 2nd rounders. To use your words- “they were all highly touted before college”. And you call THEM stars, haha? One hasn’t even played a game in the NHL and he is already a star, but three Olympians / All-Stars are not?? You can’t make this stuff up. But we are in agreement Wisconsin has been the best program at developing defensemen. I don’t know what that has to do with Guentzel, but whatever. As for MN getting their pick of the litter- I’m not sure how closely you follow MN recruiting but WI has gotten the better D recruits between the two over the last 5 years. Again- the reason being because WI has been the best program in the country for defensemen. WI has done a tremendous job with D. Although with Guentzel back some of the top D are committing to Minnesota again (Glover, Collins, Vannelli)

Look I don’t care to go back 15 years, haha. I went back 6 years prior to Guentzel leaving Minnesota in 2008 and you had a Hobey winner and half a dozen made it to the NHL. You have to go back that far to see his resume in player development because Guentzel was gone until last year. Simply cherry picking Wisconsin’s 2009 class (which is the best class in the country over the last decade) isnt a realistic comparison. Ironically the two examples you mentioned that supposedly didn’t develop (ness and leddy) played under john hill. Guentzel wasn’t in Minnesota when those players were, so why bring them up? Bottom line is that since the day Hill left and Guentzel returned they have spent that year and a half as the #1 defense in the wcha. They are giving up like 20 shots a game! Very sound positionally and their top D pairing is 2 undrafted kids that will likely both sign to the AHL so there is a present day example of undrafted development.

And I have to say, assuming that a college is recruiting kids based on whether they project to become NHL talent while assuming those kids also have a desire to become NHL players is really ignorant. That is why you should focus on the high end talent- they project to become NHL players and likely have the desire. Minnesota's last undrafted defenseman to graduate (kevin wehrs) dreamed of becoming a pilot. His senior year he got his degree as well as obtained his pilot license. But that isn't a success story for you by your own criteria, that is another flaw on a coach's resume for failing to change his focus into becoming an NHL "star"

My last name isn’t Skjei or Guentzel so I’m about done... I’ll just say that I think skjei needs a few years to develop and I fully expect him to. Can we give him more than a month and a half?

Old
12-11-2012, 10:50 PM
dccuse

Great post

Thanks

Quote:
colonialhockey-“Of all of those defenseman you listed, they were all highly touted before college. None of them became stars” Well three of them are Olympians and two were also All-Stars. Not sure what constitutes a “star” in your book. One of which btw won Hobey Baker under Guentzel- A Hobey Baker is generally considered to be one of the more developed players in the country. You might even call that player a “star” (well, you wouldn’t)... but if the Hobey winner didn’t further develop into a “star” in your book when he moved to the NHL that isn’t Guentzel’s problem.

colonialhockey-“Meanwhile Wisconsin's entire group from the 09-10 season will be NHLers, some of them already established stars or well on their way” Schultz, McDonagh, Gardiner… these are 1st and 2nd rounders. To use your words- “they were all highly touted before college”. And you call THEM stars, haha? One hasn’t even played a game in the NHL and he is already a star, but three Olympians / All-Stars are not?? You can’t make this stuff up. But we are in agreement Wisconsin has been the best program at developing defensemen. I don’t know what that has to do with Guentzel, but whatever. As for MN getting their pick of the litter- I’m not sure how closely you follow MN recruiting but WI has gotten the better D recruits between the two over the last 5 years. Again- the reason being because WI has been the best program in the country for defensemen. WI has done a tremendous job with D. Although with Guentzel back some of the top D are committing to Minnesota again (Glover, Collins, Vannelli)

Look I don’t care to go back 15 years, haha. I went back 6 years prior to Guentzel leaving Minnesota in 2008 and you had a Hobey winner and half a dozen made it to the NHL. You have to go back that far to see his resume in player development because Guentzel was gone until last year. Simply cherry picking Wisconsin’s 2009 class (which is the best class in the country over the last decade) isnt a realistic comparison. Ironically the two examples you mentioned that supposedly didn’t develop (ness and leddy) played under john hill. Guentzel wasn’t in Minnesota when those players were, so why bring them up? Bottom line is that since the day Hill left and Guentzel returned they have spent that year and a half as the #1 defense in the wcha. They are giving up like 20 shots a game! Very sound positionally and their top D pairing is 2 undrafted kids that will likely both sign to the AHL so there is a present day example of undrafted development.

And I have to say, assuming that a college is recruiting kids based on whether they project to become NHL talent while assuming those kids also have a desire to become NHL players is really ignorant. That is why you should focus on the high end talent- they project to become NHL players and likely have the desire. Minnesota's last undrafted defenseman to graduate (kevin wehrs) dreamed of becoming a pilot. His senior year he got his degree as well as obtained his pilot license. But that isn't a success story for you by your own criteria, that is another flaw on a coach's resume for failing to change his focus into becoming an NHL "star"

My last name isn’t Skjei or Guentzel so I’m about done... I’ll just say that I think skjei needs a few years to develop and I fully expect him to. Can we give him more than a month and a half?

Old
12-12-2012, 03:04 AM
Ola

On stats being off in Europe right now, Mora HC in the Swedish 2nd tier league iced a line with Gaspar Kopitar-Anze Kopitar-Bobby Ryan last night, and got 1 goal from that line (Gasper from Anze and Bobby) in the 1st period in a game they lost 7-4.

Bobby and Anze didn't play like it was G7 of the SCF's, but they were clearly "frustrated" and played with alot of emotions. There is pressure on these two to perform and they definitely feel it like stand up guys and definitely try hard to win games for their club. Alot of money has been pushed into that team to have those two guys there.

This is the problems with stats in hockey 2012. The teams are just too good these days. I mean, this was definitely not the case just 10-15 years ago. Team defense along with a solid goalie wasn't good enough to stop a "much" better player. But the goalies are better now, the defense makes sure to always be between the puck and their own net. You get little room. And so forth. Normally you get a good team with good players, but it takes a while. And its not a given.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
On stats being off in Europe right now, Mora HC in the Swedish 2nd tier league iced a line with Gaspar Kopitar-Anze Kopitar-Bobby Ryan last night, and got 1 goal from that line (Gasper from Anze and Bobby) in the 1st period in a game they lost 7-4.

Bobby and Anze didn't play like it was G7 of the SCF's, but they were clearly "frustrated" and played with alot of emotions. There is pressure on these two to perform and they definitely feel it like stand up guys and definitely try hard to win games for their club. Alot of money has been pushed into that team to have those two guys there.

This is the problems with stats in hockey 2012. The teams are just too good these days. I mean, this was definitely not the case just 10-15 years ago. Team defense along with a solid goalie wasn't good enough to stop a "much" better player. But the goalies are better now, the defense makes sure to always be between the puck and their own net. You get little room. And so forth. Normally you get a good team with good players, but it takes a while. And its not a given.
Totally agree with this...particularly about Swiss hockey. They play very responsible, smart, defensive hockey. Didn't they dismantle the Rangers? it's not surprising. Very disciplined style of hockey they play there.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Piodale

Thomas Spelling is playing for Denmark at the U20 Division 1 World Championships (the group below the top nations).

In game 1 Denmark beat France 5-2 and Spelling had the only assist on former Herning Bluefox linemate Oliver Bjorkstrands (Portland Winterhawks) EN goal.

In game 2 Denmark won 4-3 against Slovenia, and Spelling had the primary assist on Bjorkstrands 2-2 goal, and eventually scored the game winner when he made it 4-2 assisted by Bjorkstrand (and Sebastian Ehlers, son of former Rangers draft pick Heinz Ehlers).

Today it seems like more easy going as DK beat Austria 8-3, and Spelling had 4 assists (tree of them primary for what its worth).

The line of Spelling, Bjorkstrand and Ehlers are as far as I can see the top 3 on the topscoreres list so far in the tournament, with 7 points each. Spelling 1+6 so far.

Last edited by Piodale: 12-12-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old
12-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piodale View Post
Thomas Spelling is playing for Denmark at the U20 Division 1 World Championships (the group below the top nations).

In game 1 Denmark beat France 5-2 and Spelling had the only assist on former Herning Bluefox linemate Oliver Bjorkstrands (Portland Winterhawks) EN goal.

In game 2 Denmark won 4-3 against Slovenia, and Spelling had the primary assist on Bjorkstrands 2-2 goal, and eventually scored the game winner when he made it 4-2 assisted by Bjorkstrand (and Sebastian Ehlers, son of former Rangers draft pick Heinz Ehlers).

Today it seems like more easy going as DK beat Austria 8-3, and Spelling had 4 assists (tree of them primary for what its worth).

The line of Spelling, Bjorkstrand and Ehlers are as far as I can see the top 3 on the topscoreres list so far in the tournament, with 7 points each. Spelling 1+6 so far.

This is beer-league quality hockey, so he should dominate if he wants to ever make the NHL. I am glad to see good stats from him, but keep in mind that Slovenia, Austria and France are not exactly NHL-producers. He is beating up on players who - with few exceptions - will never make the AHL, KHL or SEL.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:

He needs to get out of Rögle and on a mens Division 1 team ASAP. Maybe the lockout ends soon and he then goes to... Södertälje?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
He needs to get out of Rögle and on a mens Division 1 team ASAP. Maybe the lockout ends soon and he then goes to... Södertälje?

He does need to get sent down. There is no shame in not playing in tier-2 (AHL, KHL & SEL), and he needs the playing time.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:

Isn't Bjorkstrand draft eligible this year? Seems to be a middy IMO.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:58 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
fwiw, Fasth scored HV's lone goal yesterday in Bratislava at the European Trophy tournament. Perhaps that gets him started again...

Old
12-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
This is beer-league quality hockey, so he should dominate if he wants to ever make the NHL. I am glad to see good stats from him, but keep in mind that Slovenia, Austria and France are not exactly NHL-producers. He is beating up on players who - with few exceptions - will never make the AHL, KHL or SEL.

Is this serious? Every player in Division 1A and even D1B play professional or semi-pro hockey. Even go down into D2A and you get the Dutch and Hungarian players who play in a professional league.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 12-14-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old
12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post

Is this serious? Every player in Division 1A and even D1B play professional or semi-pro hockey. Even go down into D2A and you get the Dutch and Hungarian players who play in a professional league.
Not forgetting South Korea.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:57 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

There has been more noise about development issues at UMN that just defensemen. Seem to remember the Islanders slamming the program pretty good when they pulled Okposo out of school.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:04 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
There has been more noise about development issues at UMN that just defensemen. Seem to remember the Islanders slamming the program pretty good when they pulled Okposo out of school.
but just like erik johnson...okposo was at minn for 1 1/2 season 5 1/2 years ago and still has the same questions about his development. its not like he left school and suddenly developed. so i'm not sure its fair to blame the 1 year at minnesota for it...

it would be like bashing dartmouth for jessiman...lee stempniak developed just fine at dartmouth. hugh just sucked.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Zil

Boo Nieves with three assists in two games this weekend.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

The Euro leagues are on break right now for the Channel One Cup. National teams. They don't have their full arsenal together, but Russia does have Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and Datsyuk all playing. Lindberg is on the Swedish team. I was able to watch the Sweden-Finland game. Lindberg won a lot of faceoffs, and is really good on the forecheck. Also took two penalties. Very physical out there.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Boo Nieves with three assists in two games this weekend.
He's tied for second on his team in scoring with Trouba. The only guy worth more points is a senior.

It's just pain.
Old
12-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
but just like erik johnson...okposo was at minn for 1 1/2 season 5 1/2 years ago and still has the same questions about his development. its not like he left school and suddenly developed. so i'm not sure its fair to blame the 1 year at minnesota for it...

it would be like bashing dartmouth for jessiman...lee stempniak developed just fine at dartmouth. hugh just sucked.
Hugh would have been a different player had he not broken his ankle.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
MSC with 4 goals in an 8-1 win for the Oil Kings over Regina. :-)

Closed Thread