HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

General UFC/MMA/boxing discussion - Bute vs. Pascal?

View Poll Results: Who wins a fight between Lucian Bute and Jean Pascal ?
Lucian Bute 9 36.00%
Jean Pascal 15 60.00%
Draw 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
  #401
e46330ivs*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
And you think that just because the opponents he destroyed are weak, which you're now admitting(yay progress), that doesn't affect his standing or legacy? That doesn't influence the hypothesis that he's somehow beyond everyone else.



It's very simple. I say he's at the top of the list with Fedor and GSP filing in just below him. Dana and you and every other Silva knob shiner out there say that he's not even on the list. Like, that's actually what they said. Do you see how your logic here was incomplete and stupid?



And I suppose it's your opinion that Silva's not ducking by asking for half the UFC to fight jones?

Just a question, do you not think Mayweather was ducking, as well?




Of course. He could be that good. But because the division was weak, and you agreed to that point, it goes further than your last statement.

The proof is insufficient.



1.) This will be my last reply to you because of **** like this. The point was that just because Hendo has an Olympic Silver, and Sonnen has a world university Silver that they're better at wrestling for MMA. Koscheck was a Division 1 national champion, and was simply outwrestled by GSP. Do you know why? Because GSP has integrated wrestling into MMA, and coupled it with BJJ ability that none of those guys have. But feel free to ignore this point, like you always have.

2.) According to Silva's own words, GSP, and BJ Penn are the greatest fighters of all time.




No, it was a pathetic attempt at ****-talk and you should be ashamed of yourself.



You think there's a game-plan, and that game plan seems to be exactly what I've advocated, you just don't think GSP can, even though you think he could. And even though all someone has to do is jab, circle, shoot, and not get submitted, you think that A. Silva is on some other list, beyond the other P4P GOATs.

Wow, you sure showed me.


This is the ridiculousness of your opinion. You even agree with everything I said, but just say "he can't do it." He can. End of story.
dude you lost all credibility putting Silva below GSP on YOUR all time list, respectable athletes like Silva and GSP usually throw flowers to there opponents. Tell me how many fights of GSP have left you speechless at the end of the fight?

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
  #402
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
And you think that just because the opponents he destroyed are weak, which you're now admitting(yay progress), that doesn't affect his standing or legacy? That doesn't influence the hypothesis that he's somehow beyond everyone else.
No, I don't. The reason is because of the way he destroyed his opponents and not only never lost but never got hurt either, not a scratch on the body. But who cares about that, people were able to bring him down on the mat..So I guess that means he really isn't that amazing.
And you like to rage on Silva's opponents, I'm supposed to be impressed by GSP facing Serra (and losing), or Koscheck, or Hardy or Alves?? How are they any different than the Marquardt, Okami or Griffin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
It's very simple. I say he's at the top of the list with Fedor and GSP filing in just below him. Dana and you and every other Silva knob shiner out there say that he's not even on the list. Like, that's actually what they said. Do you see how your logic here was incomplete and stupid?
Fedor is finished.
And I actually said Silva-GSP-Jones are the cream of the crop. I said Jones need to prove himself more, and I said I put Silva higher than GSP because of the way he beats his opponents, meaning dominance (99% of the time), hurting them from any position possible, and not suffering any type of real damage. Him jumping up weight class and dominating the same way also adds to the reasoning. Those are facts.
Your argument is that his opponents weren't really that great, that's an opinion, not a fact.
Do you see how your logic here is stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
And I suppose it's your opinion that Silva's not ducking by asking for half the UFC to fight jones?

Just a question, do you not think Mayweather was ducking, as well?
Silva never denied he rather faced GSP and isn't too thrilled about facing Jones. Not sure how not particularly wanting to face the dominant champion of a higher weight class takes away from his dominance.
Did GSP or Jones go up in weight classes to face other opponents?
And seeing how you like to discredit Silva a bit due to his opponents, who did Jones face that's overly impressive? Evans? Washed up Rampage or Shogun?
I'm not dogging Jones. My point is you can look at the list of opponents every great fighter has faced, you'll get some rather unimpressive names in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Of course. He could be that good. But because the division was weak, and you agreed to that point, it goes further than your last statement.

The proof is insufficient.
I explained why I think he's that good. It remains an opinion, just like yours. People can have different opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
1.) This will be my last reply to you because of **** like this. The point was that just because Hendo has an Olympic Silver, and Sonnen has a world university Silver that they're better at wrestling for MMA. Koscheck was a Division 1 national champion, and was simply outwrestled by GSP. Do you know why? Because GSP has integrated wrestling into MMA, and coupled it with BJJ ability that none of those guys have. But feel free to ignore this point, like you always have.

2.) According to Silva's own words, GSP, and BJ Penn are the greatest fighters of all time.
1) Never ignored that. Not the first time you're completely making stuff up about me, it's becoming quite a recurring theme actually.
I also don't think GSP has an amazing ground game. He's good at the transition, wrestling and grappling, and he's a very smart tactician. Actually, you can listen to him say just about the same thing.

2) He also said Coté is a great fighter, as well as every other one of his opponents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
No, it was a pathetic attempt at ****-talk and you should be ashamed of yourself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
You think there's a game-plan, and that game plan seems to be exactly what I've advocated, you just don't think GSP can, even though you think he could. And even though all someone has to do is jab, circle, shoot, and not get submitted, you think that A. Silva is on some other list, beyond the other P4P GOATs.

Wow, you sure showed me.
What's sad is that you think ''jab, circle, shoot, not get submitted, stay on top for 5 rounds and not eat any shots'' is actually easy to do.
But I bet that even if Silva KOd GSP, you'd still refuse to give him as much credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
This is the ridiculousness of your opinion. You even agree with everything I said, but just say "he can't do it." He can. End of story.
There is no ridiculousness, it's fight, you can put Matt freaking Serra versus GSP, and guess who'll lose?
So of course GSP has a chance, I just don't think he'll win. Nothing freaking crazy about that.
For some reason, you NEVER talk about the possibility of Silva hurting GSP, nope, it's as if it's so impossible that it's not even worth bringing up. However, you love to bring up the fact the other needs to fight the PERFECT FIGHT to win, and somehow, you seem to favor him. You really don't make any sense at all, and at first I was annoyed, now I just find it humorous.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:33 AM
  #403
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,942
vCash: 500
Kriss E. I watched Silva's fights today and I love him... but you have to watch UFC 117. Silva managed to win at the last second, but he got his ass kicked. GSP just got back, let's give him some time. If Anderson wants a real challenge, he should take on Jones. You say you don't like him, but Jones' brothers are linebackers in the NFL and he is a crazy evangelical christian with huge will power and a way better wrestling game : Silva would have to be real agile and sneaky to beat him and that is why it would make an interesting fight.


Last edited by FF de Mars: 12-12-2012 at 12:48 AM.
FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:57 AM
  #404
PhysicX
Registered User
 
PhysicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Kriss E. I watched Silva's fights today and I love him... but you have to watch UFC 117. Silva managed to win at the last second, but he got his ass kicked. GSP just got back, let's give him some time. If Anderson wants a real challenge, he should take on Jones. You say you don't like him, but Jones' brothers are linebackers in the NFL and he is a crazy evangelical christian with huge will power and a way better wrestling game : Silva would have to be real agile and sneaky to beat him and that is why it would make an interesting fight.
http://www.cagepotato.com/just-how-b...aturday-night/

He was hurt before the fight.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:28 AM
  #405
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post

Irrelevant.


The formula on how to beat Silva was taught on that night. The right Wrestler/Grappler can do it if he can stay alive long enough to get it to the ground.

IceDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:35 AM
  #406
e46330ivs*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Irrelevant.


The formula on how to beat Silva was taught on that night. The right Wrestler/Grappler can do it if he can stay alive long enough to get it to the ground.
yea your right we did find out how good Sonnen is without the roids and Silva's ribs healed up.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:21 AM
  #407
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Kriss E. I watched Silva's fights today and I love him... but you have to watch UFC 117. Silva managed to win at the last second, but he got his ass kicked. GSP just got back, let's give him some time. If Anderson wants a real challenge, he should take on Jones. You say you don't like him, but Jones' brothers are linebackers in the NFL and he is a crazy evangelical christian with huge will power and a way better wrestling game : Silva would have to be real agile and sneaky to beat him and that is why it would make an interesting fight.
I never said I didn't like Jones. When did I ever say that? I love the kid. I just think he has more to prove, not sure how anybody can contest that.
But I agree, and have said it myself, I'd much rather see a Jones vs Silva fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Irrelevant.


The formula on how to beat Silva was taught on that night. The right Wrestler/Grappler can do it if he can stay alive long enough to get it to the ground.
Irrelevant? How did the rematch go?

The strategy as to how to win versus Silva has always been that.
Anybody that tried standing up with him got destroyed.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:07 AM
  #408
e46330ivs*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I never said I didn't like Jones. When did I ever say that? I love the kid. I just think he has more to prove, not sure how anybody can contest that.
But I agree, and have said it myself, I'd much rather see a Jones vs Silva fight.



Irrelevant? How did the rematch go?

The strategy as to how to win versus Silva has always been that.
Anybody that tried standing up with him got destroyed.
exactly... the guy says he wants to fight Roy Jones Jr before he retires, I love GSP but these guys arent even in the same league. If you call laying on top of someone for 5 rounds a good fight, then we like a different kind of porno as well.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
  #409
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,942
vCash: 500
GSP doesn't have much reach. If he compensates by dry humping Silva for the whole fight like a caniche, he would become vulnerable to submision.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:51 PM
  #410
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,482
vCash: 500
Does anyone know when the Jean Pascal fight starts?

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
  #411
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,189
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
GSP doesn't have much reach. If he compensates by dry humping Silva for the whole fight like a caniche, he would become vulnerable to submision.
He is the best wrestler in the world.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:11 PM
  #412
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
He is the best wrestler in the world.
No he isn't.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:12 PM
  #413
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,450
vCash: 500
Not only do I think AS would whip GSP, but I think he'll beat Jones too if they ever get it on. I'll be laying some money down.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:19 PM
  #414
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,189
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No he isn't.
so who is the best wrestler in the world?

p.s it sure is not anderson silva

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:22 PM
  #415
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,189
vCash: 50
I gotta feeling that the Bizzier fight is somehow rigged.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:48 PM
  #416
Boardish
Registered User
 
Boardish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No he isn't.
pound for pound the best mma wrestler though.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:14 AM
  #417
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Not only do I think AS would whip GSP, but I think he'll beat Jones too if they ever get it on. I'll be laying some money down.
Jones would kick Silva's ass to his worst defeat ever. No wonder Anderson doesn't want anything to do with that fight. Let's have an avatar bet.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 08:25 AM
  #418
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Jones would kick Silva's ass to his worst defeat ever. No wonder Anderson doesn't want anything to do with that fight. Let's have an avatar bet.
Lets do it.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:05 PM
  #419
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
GSP doesn't have much reach. If he compensates by dry humping Silva for the whole fight like a caniche, he would become vulnerable to submision.
Actually, he has exceptional reach considering his height.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:08 PM
  #420
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Lets do it.
You're on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Actually, he has exceptional reach considering his height.
Hence he is a lightweight. Silva has way more reach. Enough to build a force field.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
  #421
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 10,888
vCash: 500
Lucian Bute vs Jean Pascal

Now i know there ia a boxing thread somewhere around here but i wanted to make a poll and since this is possibly the biggest boxing match in Quebec since....well since a long time i think it deserve it's own thread but mods may feel free to disagree with this and move or merge it if they see fit.

Rumors have been going wild in the last few days about a possible matchup between Bute and Pascal and that possibly very soon (fall is rumored). Interbox , GYM and the two boxers are interested in making the fight and have agreed to do it at 175lbs.
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/sports...7_accueil_POS1

Are you hyped for a potential fight between the two ?

Do you think they can sellout the olympic stadium ?

Who do you think win this ?

Personally i sort of want to see it but i cannot really say that i'm hyped. Iy weuld have been much better a couple of years ago when both were champions and on the rise. Now after Bute getting his ass handed to him by Froch and Pascal not looking that good in his last couple of fights it doesn't have the same lustre. I also think doing it at the Olympic stadium as rumored is seeing too big. This is not Floyd vs Manny or GSP vs Silva here. I don't think they can fill the stadium and should focus on selling out the Bell Center instead.

As far as my prediction if the fight happens i say Bute by decision

Discuss

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
  #422
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,863
vCash: 500
I am hyped about this though I would have preferred Bute fighting Frosch. I think Pascal takes this because of size, chin and power, though Bute could work a decision. It's a good money move for both fighters, but not sure how this improves Bute's chances at a title. We need to develop our Quebec fighters against international opponents.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
  #423
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No he isn't.
He's out wrestled decorated wrestlers and guys substantially larger like Alves. Only reason he didn't do the same with Fitch is because he exploited a greater striking advantage. Diaz is small, not a wrestler, and has relatively little one-punch power. He's going to get crushed barring a mistake.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
  #424
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,262
vCash: 390
Pascal > Bute.

That is all.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:26 PM
  #425
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
He's out wrestled decorated wrestlers and guys substantially larger like Alves. Only reason he didn't do the same with Fitch is because he exploited a greater striking advantage. Diaz is small, not a wrestler, and has relatively little one-punch power. He's going to get crushed barring a mistake.
Who said anything about Diaz? Diaz has a zero percent chance imo.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.