HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
I'm all for the lockout taking an entire year. Even if the NHL returns, why teams would feel compelled to poach a bunch of kids who are unlikely to be that much of a difference maker at this point is beyond me. At least Burke gets it. The interesting thing to me is as great of a player as Galchenyuk is, I think other teams would be hit much harder under such a scenario.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The guy looks to be a Calgary fan so I'd assume he's banking on Gaudreau.
Yes but I also believe this is going to be Lucia's coming out party, but I have to admit I am not as high on Grimaldi as some of you seem to be.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:02 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Worst case scenario...

Lucia-Grimaldi-Noesen
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Barber
Matteau-Kuraly-Biggs
Pietila-Bardreau-Hartman
Kerdiles

It's pretty depressing what losing two players could do but at least some of the other teams will take thier hits as well.

As an aside, if Galchenyuk doesn't end up playing on this team I hope there's a chance he ends up with a spot on the senior team at the WC's. After all the speculation over the years I just want to see him in a US jersey at an IIHF event at some point this year.
I agree too, I'll probably get flak for saying this, but I don't know why Montreal wants to bring Galchenyuk to there camp especially in a shorten season (if there is even one), I understand he's a phenomenal talent but I would rather see him have a good world junior showing, then finish his junior season strong possibly in the process get traded to an OHL contender competing for the Memorial Cup, then worry about having him on the Canadiens next year. That's just my opinion.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:04 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
I realize that Gally is dominating the OHL but is he really NHL ready? Or would he just be getting a look in training camp and possibly playing his 9 games in with the Habs?

Old
12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
I realize that Gally is dominating the OHL but is he really NHL ready? Or would he just be getting a look in training camp and possibly playing his 9 games in with the Habs?
One thing is for sure to me, Galchenyuk is way better right now than any of our fowards playing in our farm.. Im not sure he is quite NHL ready yet but Im pretty sure he will adjust quickly if he makes the team and will get better and better every games.. He needs to work a bit on his first few steps but otherwise he is NHL ready IMO. Habs need another top 6 winger and Im sure sure moving Eller there is the solution, I would rather give Gally a 9 games tryout..

Old
12-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'm all for the lockout taking an entire year. Even if the NHL returns, why teams would feel compelled to poach a bunch of kids who are unlikely to be that much of a difference maker at this point is beyond me. At least Burke gets it. The interesting thing to me is as great of a player as Galchenyuk is, I think other teams would be hit much harder under such a scenario.
Because of the NCAA, we would probably be hit less than any other team proportion wise.

I also think Burke is letting Rielly stay because he's not going to contribute to the Leafs right now anyway.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Yes but I also believe this is going to be Lucia's coming out party, but I have to admit I am not as high on Grimaldi as some of you seem to be.
Gaudreau would be the one guy I'd rate at even odds.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Nash

The NHL lends guys to the U20 teams every year. Other than RNH and Yakupov, who could immediately slip into the top 2 lines, I really don't understand any team pulling players out of this tournament until it is over. Their training camps or beginning of the season at best could cross over for a week. In the scheme of things, what is 3 missed games. They could still have their 9 game tryout after coming back, couldn't they?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:24 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Gaudreau would be the one guy I'd rate at even odds.
Agreed, I think the Gaudreau hype is gonna take off after this tourney.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:29 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
The NHL lends guys to the U20 teams every year. Other than RNH and Yakupov, who could immediately slip into the top 2 lines, I really don't understand any team pulling players out of this tournament until it is over. Their training camps or beginning of the season at best could cross over for a week. In the scheme of things, what is 3 missed games. They could still have their 9 game tryout after coming back, couldn't they?
Sure they could, but if we will have to see if the NHL teams care enough about the tournament to bother.

Fortunately I think only one player is in real danger for the US and that's Galchenyuk. I don't think Miller is going to be called into the Rangers.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:48 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
If Galy doesn't come to the tournament, Grimaldi has as good a chance as anyone to lead the States in scoring. He will likely slot in as #1 C, nocking Gaudreau down to the second line(I cant imagine USA using both pint sized players on the same line).

Old
12-12-2012, 03:09 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
I agree too, I'll probably get flak for saying this, but I don't know why Montreal wants to bring Galchenyuk to there camp especially in a shorten season (if there is even one), I understand he's a phenomenal talent but I would rather see him have a good world junior showing, then finish his junior season strong possibly in the process get traded to an OHL contender competing for the Memorial Cup, then worry about having him on the Canadiens next year. That's just my opinion.
Where's the worry?

As much as that scenario you pointed out with him finishing the year off in junior could be a good thing, I don't see how management wouldn't rather see him do well at the NHL level. There's nothing left for him to show in the CHL and I'd bet that they're not big fans of Sarnia's system either. The best thing for his development, imo, would be for him to playing and practicing against the highest competition that he can handle.

It would definitely suck though if USA or any team got screwed over like that, but I think we'll have a good idea on whether or not we will see NHL action during the talks this week.

Here are some highlights from his last game that people over on the habs board have been gushing over.

Lots of other Galchenyuk highlights from this year and from summer WJEC with Team USA as well on my channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HankyZetts?feature=mhee

Old
12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
bigbadbruins7

does anyone know when the camp starts or when they start playing some preliminary scrimmages? is there a site i can look at this?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
tsujimoto74

The thing is, if the lockout ends and the US loses Galchenyuk, we won't be hurt nearly as much as some other teams despite losing one of our best players. Russia would lose Grigorenko (with Hodgson and Ennis both injured, Buffalo would have no choice) and Yakupov, Canada would likely lose RNH, Huberdeau, and Hamilton. The overall strength of our roster should still be as competitive as it would've been, especially with our strong D and goalies still being there.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
DuckJet
HF Bad boy

vCash: 69
The Habs would be retarded to call up Galchenyuk if the lockout ends.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
The thing is, if the lockout ends and the US loses Galchenyuk, we won't be hurt nearly as much as some other teams despite losing one of our best players. Russia would lose Grigorenko (with Hodgson and Ennis both injured, Buffalo would have no choice) and Yakupov, Canada would likely lose RNH, Huberdeau, and Hamilton. The overall strength of our roster should still be as competitive as it would've been, especially with our strong D and goalies still being there.
I think Canada would be the most hurt.

Likely Hamilton, Strome, Nugent-Hopkins and Huberdeau would be gone.

Russia would be hurt with Yakupov and Grigorenko.

After that?

Does Minnesota really think Brodin is ready for action? Washington and Forsberg? I don't think either of those guys is ready to contribute to an NHL team but maybe.

So Sweden and Finland could be untouched. Russia could be close to crippled, and Canada has enough depth that it probably shouldn't kill them.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:

Does Minnesota really think Brodin is ready for action? Washington and Forsberg? I don't think either of those guys is ready to contribute to an NHL team but maybe.
Brodin is hurt and won't be playing either way

Old
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Kind of OT but I didn't know where else to ask: will there be links to streams posted on HF?

It's kind of hard to follow here in the states and I have no interest in getting NHL Network during the lockout just for a couple of weeks of games.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Because of the NCAA, we would probably be hit less than any other team proportion wise.

I also think Burke is letting Rielly stay because he's not going to contribute to the Leafs right now anyway.
He said that Carlyle would decide what happens but if the lockout ends he still will be down in the WJC.

As well he has a habit of being very patient with his prospect which I praise all the time. I want him to stay in the WHL and dominate there, as he missed a solid year of development.

Anyways back to the topic at hand.

12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He said that Carlyle would decide what happens but if the lockout ends he still will be down in the WJC.

As well he has a habit of being very patient with his prospect which I praise all the time. I want him to stay in the WHL and dominate there, as he missed a solid year of development.

Anyways back to the topic at hand.
That's what I am saying. The plan all along with Rielly might just be to let him have this entire season in the CHL to play out, considering he is a defenseman and he missed a year of development anyway.

If Nugent-Hopkins were a Leaf player I doubt Burke would leave him in Russia.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Kershaw

JT Miller 1g 1a. Has PPG in month of December due to a few outburst.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
I think Canada would be the most hurt.

Likely Hamilton, Strome, Nugent-Hopkins and Huberdeau would be gone.

Russia would be hurt with Yakupov and Grigorenko.

After that?

So Sweden and Finland could be untouched. Russia could be close to crippled, and Canada has enough depth that it probably shouldn't kill them.
The USA wouldn't lose anyone either.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
The USA wouldn't lose anyone either.
That has been addressed earlier.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:34 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Well my American neighbours, I will be routing for you on every game you play that's not vs Canada.
And vs Canada I'm not going to even take sides and just enjoy.

Stoked to watch Trouba play vs his age group since he's been doing so well against those older in the NCAA.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Well my American neighbours, I will be routing for you on every game you play that's not vs Canada.
And vs Canada I'm not going to even take sides and just enjoy.

Stoked to watch Trouba play vs his age group since he's been doing so well against those older in the NCAA.
Trouba is going to be one of those top players to watch in this tournament, I would not be shocked if he was the captain of this team too.

Closed Thread