HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2012, 09:59 PM
  #751
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,433
vCash: 500
I'm all for the lockout taking an entire year. Even if the NHL returns, why teams would feel compelled to poach a bunch of kids who are unlikely to be that much of a difference maker at this point is beyond me. At least Burke gets it. The interesting thing to me is as great of a player as Galchenyuk is, I think other teams would be hit much harder under such a scenario.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
  #752
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The guy looks to be a Calgary fan so I'd assume he's banking on Gaudreau.
Yes but I also believe this is going to be Lucia's coming out party, but I have to admit I am not as high on Grimaldi as some of you seem to be.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 10:02 PM
  #753
flyers28giroux
Registered User
 
flyers28giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Worst case scenario...

Lucia-Grimaldi-Noesen
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Barber
Matteau-Kuraly-Biggs
Pietila-Bardreau-Hartman
Kerdiles

It's pretty depressing what losing two players could do but at least some of the other teams will take thier hits as well.

As an aside, if Galchenyuk doesn't end up playing on this team I hope there's a chance he ends up with a spot on the senior team at the WC's. After all the speculation over the years I just want to see him in a US jersey at an IIHF event at some point this year.
I agree too, I'll probably get flak for saying this, but I don't know why Montreal wants to bring Galchenyuk to there camp especially in a shorten season (if there is even one), I understand he's a phenomenal talent but I would rather see him have a good world junior showing, then finish his junior season strong possibly in the process get traded to an OHL contender competing for the Memorial Cup, then worry about having him on the Canadiens next year. That's just my opinion.

flyers28giroux is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 10:04 PM
  #754
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,246
vCash: 300
I realize that Gally is dominating the OHL but is he really NHL ready? Or would he just be getting a look in training camp and possibly playing his 9 games in with the Habs?

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
  #755
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
I realize that Gally is dominating the OHL but is he really NHL ready? Or would he just be getting a look in training camp and possibly playing his 9 games in with the Habs?
One thing is for sure to me, Galchenyuk is way better right now than any of our fowards playing in our farm.. Im not sure he is quite NHL ready yet but Im pretty sure he will adjust quickly if he makes the team and will get better and better every games.. He needs to work a bit on his first few steps but otherwise he is NHL ready IMO. Habs need another top 6 winger and Im sure sure moving Eller there is the solution, I would rather give Gally a 9 games tryout..

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:16 AM
  #756
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'm all for the lockout taking an entire year. Even if the NHL returns, why teams would feel compelled to poach a bunch of kids who are unlikely to be that much of a difference maker at this point is beyond me. At least Burke gets it. The interesting thing to me is as great of a player as Galchenyuk is, I think other teams would be hit much harder under such a scenario.
Because of the NCAA, we would probably be hit less than any other team proportion wise.

I also think Burke is letting Rielly stay because he's not going to contribute to the Leafs right now anyway.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:19 AM
  #757
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Yes but I also believe this is going to be Lucia's coming out party, but I have to admit I am not as high on Grimaldi as some of you seem to be.
Gaudreau would be the one guy I'd rate at even odds.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:24 AM
  #758
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
The NHL lends guys to the U20 teams every year. Other than RNH and Yakupov, who could immediately slip into the top 2 lines, I really don't understand any team pulling players out of this tournament until it is over. Their training camps or beginning of the season at best could cross over for a week. In the scheme of things, what is 3 missed games. They could still have their 9 game tryout after coming back, couldn't they?

Nash is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:24 AM
  #759
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,246
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Gaudreau would be the one guy I'd rate at even odds.
Agreed, I think the Gaudreau hype is gonna take off after this tourney.

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:29 AM
  #760
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
The NHL lends guys to the U20 teams every year. Other than RNH and Yakupov, who could immediately slip into the top 2 lines, I really don't understand any team pulling players out of this tournament until it is over. Their training camps or beginning of the season at best could cross over for a week. In the scheme of things, what is 3 missed games. They could still have their 9 game tryout after coming back, couldn't they?
Sure they could, but if we will have to see if the NHL teams care enough about the tournament to bother.

Fortunately I think only one player is in real danger for the US and that's Galchenyuk. I don't think Miller is going to be called into the Rangers.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:48 AM
  #761
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker
 
superhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 50
If Galy doesn't come to the tournament, Grimaldi has as good a chance as anyone to lead the States in scoring. He will likely slot in as #1 C, nocking Gaudreau down to the second line(I cant imagine USA using both pint sized players on the same line).

superhakan is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:09 AM
  #762
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
I agree too, I'll probably get flak for saying this, but I don't know why Montreal wants to bring Galchenyuk to there camp especially in a shorten season (if there is even one), I understand he's a phenomenal talent but I would rather see him have a good world junior showing, then finish his junior season strong possibly in the process get traded to an OHL contender competing for the Memorial Cup, then worry about having him on the Canadiens next year. That's just my opinion.
Where's the worry?

As much as that scenario you pointed out with him finishing the year off in junior could be a good thing, I don't see how management wouldn't rather see him do well at the NHL level. There's nothing left for him to show in the CHL and I'd bet that they're not big fans of Sarnia's system either. The best thing for his development, imo, would be for him to playing and practicing against the highest competition that he can handle.

It would definitely suck though if USA or any team got screwed over like that, but I think we'll have a good idea on whether or not we will see NHL action during the talks this week.

Here are some highlights from his last game that people over on the habs board have been gushing over.



Lots of other Galchenyuk highlights from this year and from summer WJEC with Team USA as well on my channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HankyZetts?feature=mhee

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  #763
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 500
does anyone know when the camp starts or when they start playing some preliminary scrimmages? is there a site i can look at this?

bigbadbruins7 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
  #764
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,005
vCash: 500
The thing is, if the lockout ends and the US loses Galchenyuk, we won't be hurt nearly as much as some other teams despite losing one of our best players. Russia would lose Grigorenko (with Hodgson and Ennis both injured, Buffalo would have no choice) and Yakupov, Canada would likely lose RNH, Huberdeau, and Hamilton. The overall strength of our roster should still be as competitive as it would've been, especially with our strong D and goalies still being there.

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
  #765
DuckJet
HF Bad boy
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,154
vCash: 69
The Habs would be retarded to call up Galchenyuk if the lockout ends.

DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 04:11 PM
  #766
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
The thing is, if the lockout ends and the US loses Galchenyuk, we won't be hurt nearly as much as some other teams despite losing one of our best players. Russia would lose Grigorenko (with Hodgson and Ennis both injured, Buffalo would have no choice) and Yakupov, Canada would likely lose RNH, Huberdeau, and Hamilton. The overall strength of our roster should still be as competitive as it would've been, especially with our strong D and goalies still being there.
I think Canada would be the most hurt.

Likely Hamilton, Strome, Nugent-Hopkins and Huberdeau would be gone.

Russia would be hurt with Yakupov and Grigorenko.

After that?

Does Minnesota really think Brodin is ready for action? Washington and Forsberg? I don't think either of those guys is ready to contribute to an NHL team but maybe.

So Sweden and Finland could be untouched. Russia could be close to crippled, and Canada has enough depth that it probably shouldn't kill them.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 04:50 PM
  #767
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post

Does Minnesota really think Brodin is ready for action? Washington and Forsberg? I don't think either of those guys is ready to contribute to an NHL team but maybe.
Brodin is hurt and won't be playing either way

Jaykay is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
  #768
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,411
vCash: 500
Kind of OT but I didn't know where else to ask: will there be links to streams posted on HF?

It's kind of hard to follow here in the states and I have no interest in getting NHL Network during the lockout just for a couple of weeks of games.

Machinehead is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 06:47 PM
  #769
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Because of the NCAA, we would probably be hit less than any other team proportion wise.

I also think Burke is letting Rielly stay because he's not going to contribute to the Leafs right now anyway.
He said that Carlyle would decide what happens but if the lockout ends he still will be down in the WJC.

As well he has a habit of being very patient with his prospect which I praise all the time. I want him to stay in the WHL and dominate there, as he missed a solid year of development.

Anyways back to the topic at hand.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
  #770
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He said that Carlyle would decide what happens but if the lockout ends he still will be down in the WJC.

As well he has a habit of being very patient with his prospect which I praise all the time. I want him to stay in the WHL and dominate there, as he missed a solid year of development.

Anyways back to the topic at hand.
That's what I am saying. The plan all along with Rielly might just be to let him have this entire season in the CHL to play out, considering he is a defenseman and he missed a year of development anyway.

If Nugent-Hopkins were a Leaf player I doubt Burke would leave him in Russia.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 08:27 PM
  #771
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
JT Miller 1g 1a. Has PPG in month of December due to a few outburst.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
  #772
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I think Canada would be the most hurt.

Likely Hamilton, Strome, Nugent-Hopkins and Huberdeau would be gone.

Russia would be hurt with Yakupov and Grigorenko.

After that?

Does Minnesota really think Brodin is ready for action? Washington and Forsberg? I don't think either of those guys is ready to contribute to an NHL team but maybe.

So Sweden and Finland could be untouched. Russia could be close to crippled, and Canada has enough depth that it probably shouldn't kill them.
The USA wouldn't lose anyone either.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 10:33 PM
  #773
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
The USA wouldn't lose anyone either.
That has been addressed earlier.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:34 AM
  #774
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,923
vCash: 50
Well my American neighbours, I will be routing for you on every game you play that's not vs Canada.
And vs Canada I'm not going to even take sides and just enjoy.

Stoked to watch Trouba play vs his age group since he's been doing so well against those older in the NCAA.

garret9 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
  #775
flyers28giroux
Registered User
 
flyers28giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Well my American neighbours, I will be routing for you on every game you play that's not vs Canada.
And vs Canada I'm not going to even take sides and just enjoy.

Stoked to watch Trouba play vs his age group since he's been doing so well against those older in the NCAA.
Trouba is going to be one of those top players to watch in this tournament, I would not be shocked if he was the captain of this team too.

flyers28giroux is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.