HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
More Luongo Talk

Carry on.

Previous thread here.

Just so everyone is clear, if you get the following in this thread:

Warning = threadban
Infraction = forumban starting at 1 month

Last edited by piqued: 12-12-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Y2K, just curious, have you done a CapGeek roster with a 60m cap next year? If so, I'm curious what kind of roster you have yielded with guys like Lupul/Hemsky coming back to VAN...?

Assuming you've re-signed Edler + Higgins + Lapierre of course.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
skywarp75

im having a tough time understanding Leaf fans. they are so obsessed with how good their prospects ARE going to be that they dont really see how this mindset leads to nonstop futility. The Canucks under Burke had a fairly solid all around team, some superstar forwards, some solid Dmen, similar to TO currently (although Nazzy/Burt were a step up from Kessel). But Cloutier was the goalie, and was the weak link. But Burke stuck with him for years, and never adressed the problem. He inherited Giguere in ANA, and gave away Bryz.

Now please think about his history with goalies before you say you are confident in Reimer. Look at the Canucks organization today compared to back then. And then realize that this yearly contender relies on the foundation of goaltending. It doesnt matter what holes you create to get the foundation, as those slots are more easily filled. As people have pointed out repeatedly, a few more saves in a year = playoffs. There are almost never any chances to aquire a goalie of this calibre, unless you develop one. That is why talking about trade value is rather pointless, because theres almost nothing to compare it to.

Pics and prospects hold little value compared to genuine real guaranteed elite play. And you'll never get out of the basement with the 'but our prospects will all be 25 goal scorers one day!' mentality.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Y2K, just curious, have you done a CapGeek roster with a 60m cap next year? If so, I'm curious what kind of roster you have yielded with guys like Lupul/Hemsky coming back to VAN...?

Honestly, why would anyone bother doing that? Right now they are negotiating based on a multi-year transitional period. Also, $60M is less than if the cap dropped to 50% without any transitional years. It could be argued the cap will never drop below $70M...at least that's the idea of the transitional years + estimated growth in the league.

I do think that eventually one of Luongo or Schneider will need to be traded but I don't think it'll need to be this year (if there is a year) or even next. I think that as soon as Schneider can prove he's capable of being a starter at the NHL level one of the guys will be traded but until then, I wouldn't trade Luongo.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:46 AM
skywarp75

oh and i suggest these Luongo threads be titled 'Luongo thread - the ultimate lockout time-killer'

Old
12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
im having a tough time understanding Leaf fans. they are so obsessed with how good their prospects ARE going to be that they dont really see how this mindset leads to nonstop futility. The Canucks under Burke had a fairly solid all around team, some superstar forwards, some solid Dmen, similar to TO currently (although Nazzy/Burt were a step up from Kessel). But Cloutier was the goalie, and was the weak link. But Burke stuck with him for years, and never adressed the problem. He inherited Giguere in ANA, and gave away Bryz.

Now please think about his history with goalies before you say you are confident in Reimer. Look at the Canucks organization today compared to back then. And then realize that this yearly contender relies on the foundation of goaltending. It doesnt matter what holes you create to get the foundation, as those slots are more easily filled. As people have pointed out repeatedly, a few more saves in a year = playoffs. There are almost never any chances to aquire a goalie of this calibre, unless you develop one. That is why talking about trade value is rather pointless, because theres almost nothing to compare it to.

Pics and prospects hold little value compared to genuine real guaranteed elite play. And you'll never get out of the basement with the 'but our prospects will all be 25 goal scorers one day!' mentality.
Absolutely right. Augmenting a young core with solid veteran experience is essential to building a winner. But in a cap dominated world, the most important thing is managing salary decisions. Roberto could really impact upon the Leafs' salary cap during and after his decline.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Honestly, why would anyone bother doing that? Right now they are negotiating based on a multi-year transitional period. Also, $60M is less than if the cap dropped to 50% without any transitional years. It could be argued the cap will never drop below $70M...at least that's the idea of the transitional years + estimated growth in the league.

I do think that eventually one of Luongo or Schneider will need to be traded but I don't think it'll need to be this year (if there is a year) or even next. I think that as soon as Schneider can prove he's capable of being a starter at the NHL level one of the guys will be traded but until then, I wouldn't trade Luongo.

Read the latest Cam Charron article, as it pertains to Edler and the expected cap drop. The estimate is from 55m-60m. The latter number being speculated by numerous sources. That's why I asked.

You can ignore the information, even speculate the cap will stay the same, but when many prognosticators are projecting a 60m cap, I think it best to evaluate a trade based on this number.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Absolutely right. Augmenting a young core with solid veteran experience is essential to building a winner. But in a cap dominated world, the most important thing is managing salary decisions. Roberto could really impact upon the Leafs' salary cap during and after his decline.
but to build a winner, you have to start winning. you dont worry about 5 years down the road, you do what you can to win, and adapt with the times. Lu's contract was signed to guarantee good goaltending at a good cap hit. I guess TO fans see 5.3mil as too much for a goalie, so thats where we'll disagree. Like i said, its not about 5-6 years away, its about next season and the following 4. Losing is not attractive for free agents or to resign your star player. Look at the canucks, the entire core signed for below market value to be part of a winner. WHen a team loses, they have to overpay to keep their good players (see Grabovski @ 5.5 compared to Kesler @ 5.0). And if it werent for the players we developed taking discounts (sedins/kes/burr/hansen) then we wouldnt have been able to get discounts on UFA's like Hamhuis.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:

I assume you are a Nuck's fan? It certainly does matter. You don't deal multiple pieces of your youth/picks for an aging player on a long term deal. If Luongo was 26....we can talk like this.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
but to build a winner, you have to start winning. you dont worry about 5 years down the road, you do what you can to win, and adapt with the times. Lu's contract was signed to guarantee good goaltending at a good cap hit. I guess TO fans see 5.3mil as too much for a goalie, so thats where we'll disagree. Like i said, its not about 5-6 years away, its about next season and the following 4. Losing is not attractive for free agents or to resign your star player. Look at the canucks, the entire core signed for below market value to be part of a winner. WHen a team loses, they have to overpay to keep their good players (see Grabovski @ 5.5 compared to Kesler @ 5.0). And if it werent for the players we developed taking discounts (sedins/kes/burr/hansen) then we wouldnt have been able to get discounts on UFA's like Hamhuis.
I'll throw it in reverse....if you guys don't win the cup in the next 4-5 years....what will your team look like? A hint, it will look like ours 4 years ago, older players and a shallow prospect pool.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

A friendly reminder

I'm keeping a eye on this thread and will continue on the subsequent ones.

This thread is here to allow everyone to debate the merits of the various Luongo proposals that are presented.

All I ask is for everyone to please be respectful and civil to each other, and to refrain from making things personal.

Thank you.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I assume you are a Nuck's fan? It certainly does matter. You don't deal multiple pieces of your youth/picks for an agiing player on a long term deal. If Luongo was 26....we can talk like this.
Luongo is basically guaranteed to give you 5-6 years of elite play. Zero of the pics and prospects are guaranteed to do anything of note in the NHL. I dont know how you dont understand this.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Luongo is basically guaranteed to give you 5-6 years of elite play. Zero of the pics and prospects are guaranteed to do anything of note in the NHL. I dont know how you dont understand this.
No, he is not. And there inlies the problem. I don't think there is ANY gurantee that he is "elite" at the age of 39.

We could make 2 lists, goalies who were "elite" at 39, and those who aren't. Which do you think is the longer list?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

If the cap drops I don't see Lapierre getting much of a raise, if any.

Higgins would be a cap casualty as he would be too expensive for our 3rd line. I could see him replaced by Hartikainen or another cheap option (Jensen/Kassian?). Edler would probably have to sign for $4.6M as well.

I could see Ballard also being a cap casualty. Not too sure if this still works, but I also would be shocked if the cap upper limit were $60M. I think $64M is much more plausible.

12-12-2012, 12:18 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
No, he is not. And there inlies the problem. I don't think there is ANY gurantee that he is "elite" at the age of 39.

We could make 2 lists, goalies who were "elite" at 39, and those who aren't. Which do you think is the longer list?
Yeah I can tell you really dont have any clue who Luongo is, what kind of an athlete and competitor he is, and where he ranks all time in goalie stats.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
How can you make that statement?

If the above is true, then I can also baselessly claim that Lupul is good for about another decade of elite, top 10 winger production.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If the cap drops I don't see Lapierre getting much of a raise, if any.

Higgins would be a cap casualty as he would be too expensive for our 3rd line. I could see him replaced by Hartikainen or another cheap option (Jensen/Kassian?). Edler would probably have to sign for $4.6M as well.

I could see Ballard also being a cap casualty. Not too sure if this still works, but I also would be shocked if the cap upper limit were $60M. I think $64M is much more plausible.

Try it with 60m, the speculated cap number, and see what you can do. I doubt Edler takes 4.6m and that the Canucks will just let Higgins and Lapierre walk. Ballard looks to be on the way out regardless.

Try it with 60m and fit Hemsky/Lupul in there... It's not pretty.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Yeah I can tell you really dont have any clue who Luongo is, what kind of an athlete and competitor he is, and where he ranks all time in goalie stats.
I am not knocking him AT ALL. I know how to read stats, but just like Kuli is not a 30 goal scorer because it's in the past, Luongo's past stats mean diddly. Most fans are asking a price that is tied to a much younger Luongo. I truly believe he will be great for another 3 years putting him at 36. That is where the risk kicks in, any team who takes him on is not going to pay a premium to be committed to 5-6 years. Just my opinion.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Again, another Vancouver fan extolling the virtues of Luongo, he is ELITE, he is an ALL-TIME great etc while at the same time salivating to replace him on their cup contending team with a 26 year old goalie who hasn't been a full time starter ever in his career.

These things add up

Old
12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
I am not knocking him AT ALL. I know how to read stats, but just like Kuli is not a 30 goal scorer because it's in the past, Luongo's past stats mean diddly. Most fans are asking a price that is tied to a much younger Luongo. I truly believe he will be great for another 3 years putting him at 36. That is where the risk kicks in, any team who takes him on is not going to pay a premium to be committed to 5-6 years. Just my opinion.
yeah i get that, and you are right, theres a chance he drops off, i just believe in him as ive watched him play every game for years, and gained insight into who he is as a combatant. by that age, he projects to be (30 win seasons) #2 in all time wins, behind only Brodeur.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
yeah i get that, and you are right, theres a chance he drops off, i just believe in him as ive watched him play every game for years, and gained insight into who he is as a combatant. by that age, he projects to be (30 win seasons) #2 in all time wins, behind only Brodeur.
And i don't mean to sound rude, but that means nothing to me. My concern is, what will he do in the next 5-6 years if my team brings him in. History shows that in many cases, as a player ages, his play drops off. That's why the price ANY team pays, not just Toronto, needs to reflect that risk.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

I wouldn't say "elite" for 5-6 years, more like 3-4 years and then a drop off to "good" afterwards. That's still better than a chunk of teams can do. I mean, some are even running young tenders that year to year could have many ups and downs.

Luongo is as consistent as it gets, year to year. If I'm betting one way or the other, I'm betting he's good well into late 30's. He's got the track record. He's got the attitude to remain in peak physical condition. The drive etc... The guy's a horse and I think it's exactly for this reason GIllis and Gilman structured the contract the way that they had. They also bet on him being good late into his career.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:30 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Again, another Vancouver fan extolling the virtues of Luongo, he is ELITE, he is an ALL-TIME great etc while at the same time salivating to replace him on their cup contending team with a 26 year old goalie who hasn't been a full time starter ever in his career.

These things add up
Actually it does add up. Luongo is an all time great goalie, and is still playing at peak level. Cory is also a lifelong blue chipper who has dominated everywhere he's ever played, including the best ever save % in NHL history for how many games he has played. Sure its a small sample size, but its still better than anyone else in history.

In many generations, TO has never had a goalie like either of these 2. Cujo was good but not as good as either of these 2. Im not trolling, go look at pedigree. Lu and Cory have both been dominant their entire careers and everywhere theyve plaeyd. and just because Cory is ready to play NHL starter doesnt diminish Luongo at all, which all canuck fans know, but some people dont seem to get.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
I wouldn't say "elite" for 5-6 years, more like 3-4 years and then a drop off to "good" afterwards. That's still better than a chunk of teams can do. I mean, some are even running young tenders that year to year could have many ups and downs.

Luongo is as consistent as it gets, year to year. If I'm betting one way or the other, I'm betting he's good well into late 30's. He's got the track record. He's got the attitude to remain in peak physical condition. The drive etc... The guy's a horse and I think it's exactly for this reason GIllis and Gilman structured the contract the way that they had. They also bet on him being good late into his career.
The problem is, it's TO that will be taking the gamble.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Actually it does add up. Luongo is an all time great goalie, and is still playing at peak level. Cory is also a lifelong blue chipper who has dominated everywhere he's ever played, including the best ever save % in NHL history for how many games he has played. Sure its a small sample size, but its still better than anyone else in history.

In many generations, TO has never had a goalie like either of these 2. Cujo was good but not as good as either of these 2. Im not trolling, go look at pedigree. Lu and Cory have both been dominant their entire careers and everywhere theyve plaeyd. and just because Cory is ready to play NHL starter doesnt diminish Luongo at all, which all canuck fans know, but some people dont seem to get.
You now, when referring to a team that had Johnny Bower and Jaques Plante at one time.....

Closed Thread