HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2012, 12:16 PM
  #126
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,879
vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd be really into going forward/goalie in rounds 1 and 2. We definitely could use more talent up front, and a goalie prospect with projectable NHL potential would be nice.
I don't get the idea that we need a goaltender in Rounds 1 or 2. Look at the top-11 in SV% last year and their draft round and overall selection:

Elliott: 9th, 291st
Quick: 3rd, 72nd
Schneider: 1st, 26th
Halak: 9th, 271st
Lundqvist: 7th, 205th
Howard: 2nd, 64th
Smith: 5th, 261st
Lehtonen: 1st, 2nd overall
Kiprusoff: 5th, 116th
Thomas: 9, 217

Of the top-11, two were drafted in the 1st round. Lehtonen is oft-injured and, generally, a mid-tier goaltender. Schneider is solid, but still a bit unproven. Throw in what is often a depressed UFA market for goaltenders, and you can get starters there, as well.

I think the organization can vastly improve its top-6 depth at forward in this next draft. I'd rather not see a goaltender picked in the top-3 rounds.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
  #127
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't get the idea that we need a goaltender in Rounds 1 or 2. Look at the top-11 in SV% last year and their draft round and overall selection:

Elliott: 9th, 291st
Quick: 3rd, 72nd
Schneider: 1st, 26th
Halak: 9th, 271st
Lundqvist: 7th, 205th
Howard: 2nd, 64th
Smith: 5th, 261st
Lehtonen: 1st, 2nd overall
Kiprusoff: 5th, 116th
Thomas: 9, 217

Of the top-11, two were drafted in the 1st round. Lehtonen is oft-injured and, generally, a mid-tier goaltender. Schneider is solid, but still a bit unproven. Throw in what is often a depressed UFA market for goaltenders, and you can get starters there, as well.

I think the organization can vastly improve its top-6 depth at forward in this next draft. I'd rather not see a goaltender picked in the top-3 rounds.
I get that. But also Miller won't be around forever and we have no one exciting in the pipeline (at least to me).

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 02:00 PM
  #128
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,879
vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I get that. But also Miller won't be around forever and we have no one exciting in the pipeline (at least to me).
Then I think we can sign one in free agency. The supply of goaltenders has been exceeding the demand in recent years. I think they should keep drafting one per year somewhere in Rounds 4-7 and wait for one or more to pan out. The book is far from closed on guys like Ullmark, Knapp, Makarov, and Lieuwen, anyways.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 04:58 PM
  #129
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
JFB, what would be your top-10 as of this moment?
I haven't watched as much of other leagues as I have in the past, but I've made sure to watch the top guys from other leagues.
Right now it'd probably look like this:
C Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax, QMJHL)
LW/C Jonathan Drouin (Halifax, QMJHL)
C Aleksander Barkov (Tappara, SM-l)
C Sean Monahan (Ottawa, OHL)
C Elias Lindholm (Brynäs, SEL)
D Seth Jones (Portland, WHL)
C Hunter Shinkaruk (Medicine Hat, WHL)
D Ryan Pulock (Brandon, WHL)
G Zachary Fucale (Halifax, QMJHL)
C Curtis Lazar (Edmonton, WHL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't get the idea that we need a goaltender in Rounds 1 or 2.
Regularly I'd agree, but this year has quite a few top notch goalies at the top.
Comrie, Fucale, Martin, McAdam, and maybe Högberg look like top two round candidates right now and two of those (Fucale and either Comrie or Martin) are likely to go in the first round.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:18 PM
  #130
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I haven't watched as much of other leagues as I have in the past, but I've made sure to watch the top guys from other leagues.
Right now it'd probably look like this:
C Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax, QMJHL)
LW/C Jonathan Drouin (Halifax, QMJHL)
C Aleksander Barkov (Tappara, SM-l)
C Sean Monahan (Ottawa, OHL)
C Elias Lindholm (Brynäs, SEL)
D Seth Jones (Portland, WHL)
C Hunter Shinkaruk (Medicine Hat, WHL)
D Ryan Pulock (Brandon, WHL)
G Zachary Fucale (Halifax, QMJHL)
C Curtis Lazar (Edmonton, WHL)

Regularly I'd agree, but this year has quite a few top notch goalies at the top.
Comrie, Fucale, Martin, McAdam, and maybe Högberg look like top two round candidates right now and two of those (Fucale and either Comrie or Martin) are likely to go in the first round.
Holy crap. You really like Fucale. Any particular reason? A goalie has to be a sure fire star (which almost no goalies are in junior) for me to put him in my top 10.

Buffalo87 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:23 PM
  #131
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Incase anybody is interested, my top 30:

1) N MacKinnon
2) S Jones
3) E Lindholm
4) J Drouin
5) A Barkov
6) S Monahan
7) H Shinkaruk
8) R Pulock
9) R Ristolainen
10) V Nichushkin
11) A Erne
12) C Lazar
13) M Domi
14) R Hagg
15) D Nurse
16) J Morrissey
17) N Zadorov
18) A Burakowski
19) P Buchnevich
20) A Duclair
21) Z Fucale
22) S Martin
23) A Lehkonen
24) A Mantha
25) W Carrier
26) J Dickinson
27) J de la Rose
28) B Horvat
29) K Rychel
30) S Santini

Buffalo87 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 02:03 PM
  #132
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Holy crap. You really like Fucale. Any particular reason? A goalie has to be a sure fire star (which almost no goalies are in junior) for me to put him in my top 10.
Well, if you look at the first eight players on the list, I think they're all likely to be top line forwards or defenseman.
My next best player, Curtis Lazar, is not as likely to be a top line forward.
I thought about putting Nurse at nine instead and bumping Fucale down to ten, but I'm not completely sold on him yet.
He looks like a completely different player this season and I'm not going to buy into him that much just yet.

I also see Fucale a bunch, having seen a good chunk of his games from last season and every game this season, so perhaps I'm just a homer.
However, others seem to agree that he's the top goalie prospect to come along in the past few years, perhaps since Carey Price, who he's similar to in many ways.
I don't usually like ranking goalies that high either, but if anyone is deserving of it, it's a guy who was an absolute workhorse, starting 70+ games straight as a 16 year old and winning numerous games for his team that they had no business winning.

Even though you can look at the Moose now and say that they have three top prospects in Drouin, Fucale, and MacKinnon, they still should not have went as far as they did.
The team was still fairly poor and was carried by those three 16 year olds, which is a rarity and why I think all three of them are special players.
I went with my gut on Drouin before anyone gave him respect (had him seventh in my pre-season rankings and I even remember telling you on Twitter early on that it's plausible he outscores MacKinnon this season and that he may have more pure offensive upside).
I'm surprised that everyone else picked up on him this quickly, but I'll stick with my gut on Fucale too.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 02:09 PM
  #133
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, if you look at the first eight players on the list, I think they're all likely to be top line forwards or defenseman.
My next best player, Curtis Lazar, is not as likely to be a top line forward.
I thought about putting Nurse at nine instead and bumping Fucale down to ten, but I'm not completely sold on him yet.
He looks like a completely different player this season and I'm not going to buy into him that much just yet.

I also see Fucale a bunch, having seen a good chunk of his games from last season and every game this season, so perhaps I'm just a homer.
However, others seem to agree that he's the top goalie prospect to come along in the past few years, perhaps since Carey Price, who he's similar to in many ways.
I don't usually like ranking goalies that high either, but if anyone is deserving of it, it's a guy who was an absolute workhorse, starting 70+ games straight as a 16 year old and winning numerous games for his team that they had no business winning.

Even though you can look at the Moose now and say that they have three top prospects in Drouin, Fucale, and MacKinnon, they still should not have went as far as they did.
The team was still fairly poor and was carried by those three 16 year olds, which is a rarity and why I think all three of them are special players.
I went with my gut on Drouin before anyone gave him respect (had him seventh in my pre-season rankings and I even remember telling you on Twitter early on that it's plausible he outscores MacKinnon this season and that he may have more pure offensive upside).
I'm surprised that everyone else picked up on him this quickly, but I'll stick with my gut on Fucale too.
Gotcha, that makes sense. I've had very limited viewings of Fucale. Unfortunately, I read everything I can get my hands on in regards to draft eligible guys but have very limited time to actually sit down and watch games...and I think we can agree, highlights don't do a whole lot in the way of player/talent evaluations.

Buffalo87 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 10:21 AM
  #134
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,834
vCash: 500
Awards:
Thoughts on Ryan Hartman? The size isn't ideal, but there is a lot of fight in that little dog. Winger with sand and some skill...

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 10:35 AM
  #135
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!
 
Fly Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Thoughts on Ryan Hartman? The size isn't ideal, but there is a lot of fight in that little dog. Winger with sand and some skill...
I like him. I have seen him live twice now and he impressed me in both games. He tries to do a bit to much at times when he has the puck on his stick and as you said the size is not ideal, but he certainly has game. I wouldn't pick him in the first round, but if he is there in the second I would have no problem with it.

Fly Boy is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 11:08 AM
  #136
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,834
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
I like him. I have seen him live twice now and he impressed me in both games. He tries to do a bit to much at times when he has the puck on his stick and as you said the size is not ideal, but he certainly has game. I wouldn't pick him in the first round, but if he is there in the second I would have no problem with it.
Yeah, I don't see him as a first rounder right now either -- I've only caught him live once but liked what I saw. They need to think about getting skill and sand combo forwards... he's one.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
  #137
Woodhouse
Registered User
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,383
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Thoughts on Ryan Hartman? The size isn't ideal, but there is a lot of fight in that little dog. Winger with sand and some skill...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yeah, I don't see him as a first rounder right now either -- I've only caught him live once but liked what I saw. They need to think about getting skill and sand combo forwards... he's one.
Hartman's someone I wish I've seen more of this year. I've only seen him live once as well and that was over the Thanksgiving holiday all liquored up. I have no problem drafting a "smaller" two-way forward with his combination of skill, grit and motor; and I do remember him reading that he could be a late bloomer like his dad. Right now, I see him going somewhere in the 25-35 range.

He's on the preliminary roster for the WJC and had a good track record internationally as a right winger with the USNDTP, but I think it's worth noting that he's been asked to play center between Mistele ('14) and Wilson in Plymouth, which may or may not have caused a drop in stock. I haven't seen or heard enough to comment further on that and can only speculate.

However, in the game I attended, IIRC Mistele had a hat-trick and Hartman assisted on at least one with a nice tic-tac-toe pass between the three linemates. He also found Wilson for a point-blank chance in the third that was saved but then Kingston countered and netted the last goal in a 7-6 Plymouth loss. Kujawinski was relatively quiet on the night, which explains his slide in rankings.

Woodhouse is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
  #138
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,879
vCash: 396
For those who pay some attenion to the OHL, what are your feelings about Kerby Rychel? Being an October birthday, he's one of the older kids in this draft, but he did score 41 goals last year, too, which would've been one of the higher numbers among last year's draft eligibles if he was only a few weeks older. He's on pace for 40 this year, too. Thoughts?

Zip15 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
  #139
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!
 
Fly Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
For those who pay some attenion to the OHL, what are your feelings about Kerby Rychel? Being an October birthday, he's one of the older kids in this draft, but he did score 41 goals last year, too, which would've been one of the higher numbers among last year's draft eligibles if he was only a few weeks older. He's on pace for 40 this year, too. Thoughts?
Completely unnoticeable the one time I saw him live this year. Outside of a misconduct (I cannot remember if it was a game misconduct or not) he did absolutely nothing to impress me and he plays on that Windsor top line which has Brady Vail and Ho-Sang (2014 I believe. Also he is the best skater I have seen live at the junior ranks since Cam Fowler, guy is smooth). He can be a good player, but I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round. There are much better guys to be had there.

Fly Boy is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 08:32 AM
  #140
Superhero
Registered User
 
Superhero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Right now I think the Sabres could use Defenseman DARNELL NURSE in the upcoming draft. They have several top defenseman prospects that are undersized and lack enough physicality (Pysyk, Guthier Leduc, Brennan, McCabe)
Darnell Nurse would bring size, toughness and athleticism on the back end to create a better mix of defenseman prospects. Pronger comparisons are very intriguing to me.

Superhero is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 11:22 AM
  #141
is the answer jesus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Completely unnoticeable the one time I saw him live this year. Outside of a misconduct (I cannot remember if it was a game misconduct or not) he did absolutely nothing to impress me and he plays on that Windsor top line which has Brady Vail and Ho-Sang (2014 I believe. Also he is the best skater I have seen live at the junior ranks since Cam Fowler, guy is smooth). He can be a good player, but I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round. There are much better guys to be had there.
You probably watched the same game I did. Windsor vs. Kitchener about a couple weeks back on nhl network. Rychel didn't do much of anything that game, just sorta blended in. Vail played well, and had a couple great scoring chances and Ho-Sang was all over the ice, I think he assisted on 3 goals that game. Walked away REALLY impressed by Ho-Sang in that game. Based on my limited viewing of Rychel I would agree that I would pass on him in the 1st round. I'll have to watch some more Windsor games though and see if my opinion changes.

is the answer jesus is online now  
Old
12-16-2012, 04:18 PM
  #142
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,879
vCash: 396
http://timgur.com/nhl/draft/index#

That's a fun site to play around with. It simulates the draft lottery if the season is cancelled using the odds each team would have. It gives you the option of doing a slow draft, where it goes slot by slot; a quick draft, where it shows the order at the click of a button; or, my favorite, the Bettman draft, where...well, just click it once.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 08:10 PM
  #143
Woodhouse
Registered User
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,383
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
http://timgur.com/nhl/draft/index#

That's a fun site to play around with. It simulates the draft lottery if the season is cancelled using the odds each team would have. It gives you the option of doing a slow draft, where it goes slot by slot; a quick draft, where it shows the order at the click of a button; or, my favorite, the Bettman draft, where...well, just click it once.
Honest, I only did one slow draft and got trolled hard...

1. Pittsburgh
2. Detroit
3. Edmonton
4. Boston
5. Toronto
...
13. Buffalo

Woodhouse is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM
  #144
1972
"Craigs on it"
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
My first try

1. Nashville
2. Pittsburgh
3. WPG
4. Tampa
5. Colorado
17. Buffalo
18. Edmonton
29. Columbus lol
wow this is unreal, I got Pitt 1st my second try, Buffalo 13th

got Buffalo at 2 back to back to back after 15+ trys
Buffalo got 1st after 20 trys

1972 is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 11:43 PM
  #145
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
Right now I think the Sabres could use Defenseman DARNELL NURSE in the upcoming draft. They have several top defenseman prospects that are undersized and lack enough physicality (Pysyk, Guthier Leduc, Brennan, McCabe)
Darnell Nurse would bring size, toughness and athleticism on the back end to create a better mix of defenseman prospects. Pronger comparisons are very intriguing to me.
Seriously?

Even though he's big, he's not some hulking physical defenseman.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 11:56 PM
  #146
TheWook
Registered User
 
TheWook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
This sure would be a nice year to have more than 1 first rounder. Hmm who can we trade?

TheWook is online now  
Old
12-17-2012, 01:15 AM
  #147
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Erne makes sense

McTank is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 08:30 AM
  #148
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Erne makes sense
He would be a great pick

JPurp26 is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 09:23 AM
  #149
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,879
vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWook View Post
This sure would be a nice year to have more than 1 first rounder. Hmm who can we trade?
Part of the reason I'm hoping there's a season is so that we can move some assets for more picks. One needn't look further than the haul Jonny Oduya brought the Jets (2013 2nd, 2013 3rd) to understand that Leopold would have serious value at the deadline. If there's no season, that's a wasted asset. Ditto for Regehr--who I think would pull a very nice package given that he has a playoff air about him--if the team decides it isn't going to re-sign him. Now, Leo won't net a 1st rounder, and I don't know if Regehr would, either--much would depend on how he played to that point--but they'd be nice assets to put on the market.

To your point, CBJ has three 1st rounders in the upcoming draft: their own, LA's, and NYR's. Based on the draft formula in the event of a cancelled season, CBJ would have a 10% chance at getting the #1 pick. If there's a fanbase who may be rooting for a cancelled season, it may be Columbus' considering both NYR and LA would likely be picking in the 20's if there's a season. Then again, with Columbus' draft lottery luck, or lack thereof, they'd probably have three picks late in the 1st round.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 11:11 AM
  #150
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Erne makes sense
I'd be all for taking him if we're picking in the mid-10s range (could see him going anywhere between 12-18). I'm hoping we'll get some lottery luck and be picking top 10 though.

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.