HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Team Canada to use artificial light to deal with the "24 hours of darkness" in Ufa

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 10:33 AM
wings5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Umm...what?? I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
I'm saying the areas in which there is less sunlight during this time is in regions of Finland and Sweden. I can't believe how stupid that comment was.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I'm saying the areas in which there is less sunlight during this time is in regions of Finland and Sweden. I can't believe how stupid that comment was.
Yet, you are still wrong.

It is anything above the 75th or 78th, can't remember exactly now, parallel.

Edit: After a quick search it seems it varies, but it starts as low as the 68th, with 23 polar nights. The 86th gets 144 and the poles get 176.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Reign Nateo

Maybe it has something to do with the actual sunshine? Cloud cover? Here is lists UFA as recieving 1 hour of sunlight (not daylight) per day in December, Edmonton on the other hand, is one of the sunniest cities in Canada... Maybe it's not complete darkness as most are taking it, maybe it's cloudy and gloomy too.

http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...europe/ufa.php

But you guys are probably right, Hockey Canada is just a bunch of ignorant *******s...

Old
12-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
You mean Toronto and Iqaluit aren't the same??

Stupid Hockey Canada
Don't be so hard on them. Since some parts of the world are downright uncomfortable, if you ever leave Canada, its always good to transport it with you as much as possible.
Maybe Hockey Canada went too far in bringing all those MacKenzie Brothers movies, though.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Reign Nateo

They're so ignorant! I bet they brought maple syrup and igloos too!

Old
12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Don't be so hard on them. Since some parts of the world are downright uncomfortable, if you ever leave Canada, its always good to transport it with you as much as possible.
Maybe Hockey Canada went too far in bringing all those MacKenzie Brothers movies, though.
Life just isn't the same without Doug and Bob, i know I invited them when I went to St.Barts. Just couldn't bare the thought of being without them!

Old
12-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
They're so ignorant! I bet they brought maple syrup and igloos too!
You joke, but nothing beats Maple syrup while cuddling with your sled dogs in the igloo when hiding from the Polar bear outside.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

I believe the article also had a link to the training methods that both Canada and Russia will employ while residing in Ufa.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Maybe it has something to do with the actual sunshine? Cloud cover? Here is lists UFA as recieving 1 hour of sunlight (not daylight) per day in December, Edmonton on the other hand, is one of the sunniest cities in Canada... Maybe it's not complete darkness as most are taking it, maybe it's cloudy and gloomy too.

But you guys are probably right, Hockey Canada is just a bunch of ignorant *******s...
Maybe they just never took Geography in school. Cloudy or not, if Edmonton is at the same latitude roughly as Ufa, then the sun is going to rise and set at roughly the same time. Can there be any doubt that Canada believes it has everything riding on the outcome of this tournament?

Old
12-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Maybe they just never took Geography in school. Cloudy or not, if Edmonton is at the same latitude roughly as Ufa, then the sun is going to rise and set at roughly the same time. Can there be any doubt that Canada believes it has everything riding on the outcome of this tournament?
Not that I agree, but sun rise at 8am and setting at 4, is not the same in all cities. Cloud cover does get people down.

I still think it is dumb, since these boys will be spending most of their time out of their rooms anyways.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I believe the article also had a link to the training methods that both Canada and Russia will employ while residing in Ufa.

As in the movie, the Russians will be smart enough to work out indoors. The Canadians will be tougher and work out outdoors, but unfortunately, will contract pneumonia and die. That will require transporting all those tanning beds home unused.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
I'm not saying I agree with it, just saying maybe there is a reason for it. One hour of actual sunlight on average per day is not what these kids are used to in any way. If they think it's important, who are we to critisize?

Old
12-12-2012, 11:09 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
I'm not saying I agree with it, just saying maybe there is a reason for it. One hour of actual sunlight on average per day is not what these kids are used to in any way. If they think it's important, who are we to critisize?
Let's pretend this is indeed the case. The weather in Canada can be gloomy as hell at times, I'm sure the boys have gone through a cloudy week or two in their lives

Old
12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
SH15

Quote:
No, Hockey Canada will not fold up shop and cease operations if a gold medal is not won. Everything is not riding on this tournament. However, is there more pressure on Canada then every other team combined? Yes, easily.

As someone posted a link to, Ufa receives 1-hour of sunlight per day in December. This is obviously an effort to combat that. Darkness doesn't necessarily mean sunrise/sunset.

But hate on haters. They're actually bringing tanning lights so the bright reflection of the gold medals won't hurt our boys eyes after two weeks in darkness. Boom.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Let's pretend this is indeed the case. The weather in Canada can be gloomy as hell at times, I'm sure the boys have gone through a cloudy week or two in their lives
When Toronto has a cloudy day it brings people down. Today is sunny and everyone in the office is bright and cheery. Who knows.

BTW

Toronto - 2,038 sunshine hours - average
NYC - around 2400 hours (couldn't find the exact number)
South Germany - 1900
London - around 1600

Last edited by Leo Trollmarov: 12-12-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520
Sunny or not, the team is going to spend 99% of their time indoors.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
What do they do if they play back to back games in Seattle or Vancouver?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:27 PM
kp61c

vCash: 833
Quote:

so its always sunny in canada during the winter? in that case yep, dont forget your lamps

Old
12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

With the gobs of money that Hockey Canada has, no doubt there's a legion of "experts" who come up with all kinds of health-related crap to justify their existence.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
slambanna

I'm pretty sure this is just about the time change and adjusting their circadian rhythm,
Your circadian rhythm is generally dictated by light and darkness.
This would combat the lack of natural light and dimly lit hotel rooms.

I wouldn't be surprised to see European teams do this in the future when playing in North America.

Last edited by slambanna: 12-12-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 12:45 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

I think the red flashing light behind the Russian net should suffice for our guys.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:46 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
What do they do if they play back to back games in Seattle or Vancouver?
Get high of course.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp61c View Post
so its always sunny in canada during the winter? in that case yep, dont forget your lamps
When it comes to cloud cover it doesn't change much.

In Toronto, the Sun is up around 7-7:30 and down 4:45-5:15 in the winter.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogle122 View Post
On December 26th, Ufa will get 7 hours and 15 minutes of daylight. Edmonton, for comparison, will get 7 hours and 29 minutes. What the **** is Hockey Canada going on about?
He love lamp?

Maybe with lamps, Edmonton makes the playoffs?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp61c View Post
Most places there is a lot more than an average one hour of sunshine per day, that's for sure...

Again, I think it's over-kill personally, but maybe they think it's important. I was more responding to the comments earlier in the thread using just the average daylight and no average sunshine as a barometer. I personally don't really care either way.

Closed Thread