HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 03:25 AM
HappyGilmourr

vCash: 500
I've never thought about it if there's a true psychological component to where a batter hits in the lineup, but it's worth noting Melky Cabrera hit .361 in the 3 hole, and .287 batting 2nd. I would never suggest putting melky in the 3 hole and putting Bautista in clean up, but it would open up some interesting possibilities. Lawrie could then bat second, see a lot more pitches and EE would rake in the 5 hole. Bautista is obviously the Jays best hitter though and deservingly should bat 3rd.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

What this trade has me wondering is whether Aeizona's issues with Bauer are more than just personal. His walk rate seems high to me - maybe they don't see his control improving? Something just smells off, and if it isn't the Diamondbacks' brains (which it could well be), then it's Bauer.

Guess I'm just saying we can't truly judge this trade until we see what these players become... and if Bauer was on the market, as we know he was, then Arizona fielded lots of offers over the winter meetings. The fact they pulled the trigger on this one say ls they weren't getting as good offers as we might have expected - at least, not offers that included a good controllable shortstop.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
What this trade has me wondering is whether Aeizona's issues with Bauer are more than just personal. His walk rate seems high to me - maybe they don't see his control improving? Something just smells off, and if it isn't the Diamondbacks' brains (which it could well be), then it's Bauer.

Guess I'm just saying we can't truly judge this trade until we see what these players become... and if Bauer was on the market, as we know he was, then Arizona fielded lots of offers over the winter meetings. The fact they pulled the trigger on this one say ls they weren't getting as good offers as we might have expected - at least, not offers that included a good controllable shortstop.
I see a pitcher with a great K%, a horrible BB%, and suspect BABIP. He actually outperformed his minor league career in that respect in the majors. Another concerning factor is that his career high as of right now is around 145 IP, meaning that with a 15% increase in innings cap, he could throw 167 next year, 192 the year after and could only possibly hit 200IP in 3 years (which isn't terrible, but low innings means that we don't know how his durability will be).

I also see a ridiculously high number of WP (22 last year). Another really concerning stat is that during his time in the big leagues, he got a puke-worthy 6.5% swinging strikes. To put that in perspective, Romero had 8.3 in his bad year, Drabek's low is 7.6, and even noted strikeout machine Drew Hutchinson had an 8.1. Going forward, this would be the scariest stat for me, because he only throws 92, which means that major league hitters aren't going to have as much trouble as minor leaguers would have. He still kept his K rate up, but hitters chased less, raising his BB rate.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:49 AM
topched

Guys guys guys.... We all need to stop complaining about Lind.

He doesn't HAVE to be in the lineup for the World Series

Old
12-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Man Bear Pig

It would be mind boggling if Lind wasn't platooned next season. I doubt anyone will be brought in so one of Davis,Izturis or Bonafacio will do I suppose. Not exactly the type of platoon bats you want at the DH spot. Gomes would have been nice.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Guys guys guys.... We all need to stop complaining about Lind.

He doesn't HAVE to be in the lineup for the World Series
The funny thing about Lind is that his dropoff from his good season is due almost entirely to his lack of doubles. His great year he hit 32 homers with 46 doubles. Last year, he hit 26 homers (in less at bats) with only 16 doubles.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
It would be mind boggling if Lind wasn't platooned next season. I doubt anyone will be brought in so one of Davis,Izturis or Bonafacio will do I suppose. Not exactly the type of platoon bats you want at the DH spot. Gomes would have been nice.
Izturis and Bonifacio aren't that great against lefties either.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:26 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Rajai Davis is a fully legitimate option against LHP though.

Although considering our starting CF put up a sparkling .182/.262/.292 against them last year its probably more realistic to suggest a platoon there...

Old
12-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Animal

Rajai Davis is a career .290 hitter against lefties. Looks good

Old
12-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Animal

Combine that with Adam Lind who hits .282 against righties in his career

Old
12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i suppose there's moses sierra as an option as well

keep in mind arencebia could hit 5th vs LHP

vs RHP

reyes
cabrera
bautista
encarnacion
lind
lawrie
rasmus
arencebia
izturis

vs LHP

reyes
cabrera
bautista
encarnacion
arencebia
lawrie
rasmus
davis or sierra
izturis

Old
12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Rajai Davis is a fully legitimate option against LHP though.

Although considering our starting CF put up a sparkling .182/.262/.292 against them last year its probably more realistic to suggest a platoon there...
They should both be platooned which is why I want the Jays to get a decent bench bat who can hit lefites to platoon with Lind. Davis platoons with Rasmus.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
The funny thing about Lind is that his dropoff from his good season is due almost entirely to his lack of doubles. His great year he hit 32 homers with 46 doubles. Last year, he hit 26 homers (in less at bats) with only 16 doubles.
if you listened to people here, he hit 2 homers and cut off Bautista's right arm

Old
12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
if you listened to people here, he hit 2 homers and cut off Bautista's right arm
That year he also put up a .295 OBP and .734 OPS. That is well below average for 1st basemen.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
That year he also put up a .295 OBP and .734 OPS. That is well below average for 1st basemen.
Is he great? No, but it seems that people want all-stars at every position. Lind is a decent first baseman.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Is he great? No, but it seems that people want all-stars at every position. Lind is a decent first baseman.
Against righties, vs lefties hes not.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
topched

Quote:
Lind is a below average 1bag or DH... but he's got the potential to bring his numbers up from what he's done the last couple of years.

If it wasn't for his one big season, I think AA would be more actively looking for a replacement.

For now Lind is our guy and hopefully he can get that avg and ops up to a more acceptable level. Because of our depth we just need him to get up to that "average" level... which is where he was at after his recall.

D'Arnaud could very well be occupying a starting spot by June, whether its C, 1b or DH. He's probably the one who will be pushing Lind the most.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Nope, he is one of the worst players in the league. He plays a position where you have to hit and he doesn't. He gets on base at a disgusting clip, can't hit lefties and he doesn't rake against righties either to make up for the fact he is completely useless against a lefty.

I would rather see Cooper get everyday playing time over Lind. That's how little I value him.

Over the past 3 seasons, Lind has a combined WAR of -0.2, good for 3rd worst in the league, ahead of only Ty Wigginton and Chone Figgins.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
mrburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Barry Davis interview with Josh Johnson.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/latest...h-Josh-Johnson

I really hope we can resign this guy.
Thanks for the link! Great interview love the part where he talks about how JP reached out to him and was already watching video of him

Old
12-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrburke View Post
Thanks for the link! Great interview love the part where he talks about how JP reached out to him and was already watching video of him
They couldn't find anyone better than Barry Davis to do the interview?

I thought the interview sucked.

12-12-2012, 12:45 PM
mrburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
They couldn't find anyone better than Barry Davis to do the interview?

I thought the interview sucked.
whys that?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i suppose there's moses sierra as an option as well

keep in mind arencebia could hit 5th vs LHP

vs RHP

reyes
cabrera
bautista
encarnacion
lind
lawrie
rasmus
arencebia
izturis

vs LHP

reyes
cabrera
bautista
encarnacion
arencebia
lawrie
rasmus
davis or sierra
izturis
This leads me to a question about Gibbons. Is he a manager that switches it up, like Maddon, or does he keep the lineup the same, no matter if it is against Lefties or righty's?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:06 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
This leads me to a question about Gibbons. Is he a manager that switches it up, like Maddon, or does he keep the lineup the same, no matter if it is against Lefties or righty's?
From what I remember from Gibby's last stint here... he loved platoons and managed them pretty well. Big on the L/R matchups... Johnson and BigCat platooned alot... but he also sticks to his guys (obviously).

Thing about this lineup is b/c there are so many switch hitters he won't have to play around too much.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Too much talking, not enough baseball

Old
12-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
The year he hit 35 bombs (I was off), he had a .932 OPS. He can be an average to slightly below average 1B if the doubles come back. He is a spray hitter who has spent the last couple of years trying to pull pitchers, which created a hole in his swing (look at Hill for what a good hitting coach can do. He hit 44 doubles, and his homer power returned as well to the tune of an .882 OPS).

Closed Thread