HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Your Most Underrated Prospect

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
  #51
dougiebrown
Registered User
 
dougiebrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
For the Devils, I will say it's Seth Helgeson. Doesn't get much attention for he's not a scoring defenseman, but I think he's going to end up being like Colin White.

dougiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
  #52
HABS2DCUP
Registered User
 
HABS2DCUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Pretty much this.

Although I would make a case for Hudon as well.
Hudon is being pumped up by Habs fans and others as well so I wouldn't call him underrated. I think a player that many non-Habs fans don't know much is Kristo, he is underrated because he plays in a league that doesn't have as much exposure as the chl.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:01 AM
  #53
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
For the Sens it's Mark Stone, no question.

He plays a game that will translate tremendously well to the NHL. He's big, has has an awsome set of hands and can make passes in tight that few others his age can. His skating still needs A LOT of work, but he's got such a high hockey I.Q that I think he could succeed in the NHL if it started up right now.
Mark Stone is not underrated at all. He is ranked 3rd by Sens fans behind Lehner and Zibanejad. He may have been underrated when he was drafted, but he is well known now and is expected to play in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
Shane Prince.

Among the Sens boards, he's loved. Elsewhere he's not talked about much. Smart, shifty winger with great work ethic.

A little undersized, but projects to be a 2nd-3rd tweener (EDIT: best case scenario).
Shane does get over looked a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Chris Wideman and Mike Hoffman
Hoffman has been having a horrid season and Wideman is a minus 5.


I would say Derek Grant is severely underrated. Last season he scored 8 goals in 60 games. He has scored 8 goals already this season after 20 games. Granted the bsens scoring has been bad.

As for Defence, Patrick Wiercioch. No one paid attention to him since we have Karlsson, Cowen and Ceci. He took a puck to the throat last year but has worked hard to come back. 10pts and a leads the team in a plus 10.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:42 AM
  #54
MoreGore
Registered User
 
MoreGore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
I know a lot of Sens guys have been mentioned, so here is my take:

I think that to be underrated you have to have real NHL potential (as in should be a decent NHLer)

Prince is a possibility as already mentioned, but he is still a ways away from the NHL, so there is too much risk there.

My guy is Wiercioch. He exploded after his draft season, which told us that he had great skill (he was a top 50 prospect for THN for a number of years). What he did not have was the muscle mass, nor the drive. He finally broke through this summer and packed on enough weight to become effective at the AHL level. People have also suggested his game would translate well into the NHL.

So Wiercioch is my pick as the most underrated (he is currently #9 on the Sens list)

(Grant is still too risky IMO... but maybe.... )

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:50 AM
  #55
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Kevin Gravel. NO ONE outside of the Kings boards talks about him. Played for the US at the last WJC and has been playing well with St. Cloud State. I think he has the potential to be a very good defender at the NHL level. With Mitchell being close to retirement and Scuds getting up there, there should be two spots available for defensive defenseman. I see three possible candidates right now to fill those two holes: Forbort, Muzzin, and Gravel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Kevin Gravel or Michael Mersch
Gravel as well for me. Kid is going to be an anchor on D for us in a PK/shutdown role. Pre-lockout Aaron Miller-esque type who won't put up many points but can play 22 minutes a game against the other teams top lines. Would likely replicate a Rob Scuderi as well but his size is more like Miller's, hence the comparison.

I don't know enough about Mersch to make a call on him, but I've heard a few good things about him as well, so I'm eager to watch his growth.

Two more I'd like to toss out for the Kings:

First is Nick Shore. Kid is on pace for over 50 points this season in Denver and looks like a solid two-way type of guy in the mold of Jarrett Stoll. I think he'll be out #3 centre down the line.

The other will get me some flak, but I'll say it anyways; Thomas Hickey. Like Kadri, I think he's been so overrated he's underrated now and so many people have written him off (especially in the Kings fan base) that he will surprise many. He's not an all-star, but I see a Tom Poti like career for him in the NHL. Odds are it will come outside the Kings organization though.


Last edited by kingsfan: 12-13-2012 at 09:55 AM.
kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:56 AM
  #56
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
Hudon is being pumped up by Habs fans and others as well so I wouldn't call him underrated. I think a player that many non-Habs fans don't know much is Kristo, he is underrated because he plays in a league that doesn't have as much exposure as the chl.
Yea I'd definitely agree on Kristo. I think he has a better chance than Leblanc or Gallagher to make the Habs next year.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:12 AM
  #57
That
Registered User
 
That's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
M. Ellis
I kinda agree with Adam Tilander on Ellis. After he Memorial Cup he certainly did receive quite a bit of hype. I remember people saying he's the next Josh Gorges. However, now I'd say he's probably a bit underrated. Especially since he's outplayed Beaulieu, and Tinordi to a lesser extent, more often than not in Hamilton, and he doesn't even really get mentioned in GDTs or in the Bulldogs thread.

For the Habs I'd say the most underrated prospect is Mark MacMillan. Outside of a small handful of posters, he doesn't get mentioned at all. He's a lanky kid, but he hits everything and gives 100% every shift. He's also got great hands, a good shot, and good vision. He's plays a solid two-way game is a fantastic penalty killer as well. I think he could become a fairly effective 3rd liner for Montreal in the future.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:21 AM
  #58
nally
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
He played in the NHL a bit last year, usually on the 1st line with Eberle and RNH. He's pretty good at making space but he doesn't really have the offense yet (at least at the NHL level) to make an impact in the top6.

In terms of underrating prospects...
General: Klefbom
HF: Klefbom
Oiler fans: Pajaarvi
This

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  #59
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 500
Ryan Spooner.

Think he can be a legitimate top six talent. Gets overshadowed by Dougie and Seguin, but I think Spooner could be a stud.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
  #60
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
In terms of underrating prospects...
General: Klefbom
HF: Klefbom
Are you serious? Klefbom is actually overrated on these boards. Top 4 defenseman automatically? As good as Brodin? Really? The guy has some serious questions about his game (like if he can actually stay healthy). The fact he's in the top 50 of prospects and is a Oilers prospect makes him as rated as one can be.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
  #61
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 14,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Are you serious? Klefbom is actually overrated on these boards. Top 4 defenseman automatically? As good as Brodin? Really? The guy has some serious questions about his game (like if he can actually stay healthy). The fact he's in the top 50 of prospects and is a Oilers prospect makes him as rated as one can be.
You seem to get offended any time Klefbom's name comes up, i don't get it.
Are you going to question Ryan Murray's game too because he got injured? What about Rielly? What about Brodin? Granlund? Galchenyuk? My guess is probably not.
Anyway, he is definitely not underrated by anybody. HF or otherwise. Most people know that he's a really good prospect

The Oiler prospect being overlooked by non-Oiler fans is Hartikainen. He has improved a lot this season to the point that i'm starting to think that he could be a top 6 player perhaps as soon as next season or whenever Hemsky is dealt.
Musil is underrated by Oiler fans. A lot of them rank Gernat above him which i couldn't disagree more with.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:12 PM
  #62
Carelton CA
Registered User
 
Carelton CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Yeah actually I'm gonna change mine to Wagner too.
I have to say Wagner as well and unfortunately most west coast fans no nothing of his abilities due to the NCAA route he took. Not that Rakell isn't a good prospect, he is a tremendous prospect, but he is certainly not underrated by any means. He was a 1st round pick at #30, who gets a lot of press. He's on the his countries National Team and is a PPG guy in the W. Clearly not underrated.

Wagner is a 5th round pick who was passed over in his 1st year of eligibility and as stated went the NCAA route. Also of note from his performance in the NCAA last year was his defensive ability while being the leading scorer of all underclassmen and 6th in the country. He's listed as a plus 21 last year in 39 games. Fast forward to to this year and check his plus/minus on a team that is under 500 with very few guys in the plus category. He's a +5 leading all forwards in Norfolk and as mentioned has been on the PK from game 1. I've read on the Ducks board that plus/minus is flawed and that bad goalies skew the stat. Makes no sense, his plus/minus is a tribute to the work in the D end. He's a defensive gem that is good on faceoffs an will only get better. He has excellent speed and will throw the body around at anyone. He also has an obvious offensive upside.

Do I think he's a top two line guy, I would guess maybe not based on the talent on the Ducks and in the system. But I do see him as a long term 3rd line center who could move up a spot if injuries in the line up become a problem.

If this guy pans out, which I believe he will, the 2010 draft for the Ducks will be one of Murray's best with Fowler, Etem, Smith-Pelley and Wagner.

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
  #63
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You seem to get offended any time Klefbom's name comes up, i don't get it.
Because Oiler prospects tend to get overrated. JDD over Harding? Klefbom over Brodin?

Quote:
Are you going to question Ryan Murray's game too because he got injured? What about Rielly?
Yes. Because both of those players had question marks coming out with their injuries to the draft.

Quote:
What about Brodin? Granlund? Galchenyuk? My guess is probably not.
Anyway, he is definitely not underrated by anybody. HF or otherwise. Most people know that he's a really good prospect
Brodin and Granlund are not injury prone. Klefbom has now had 2 seasons where he has had to sit out stretches due to injuries, which bites into his development. If Galchenyuk had injury concerns this year, I would question that as well.

Klefbom could be Minnesota's version of Cuma.

Oiler fans tend to downplay how far Brodin has gotten in the past two years compared to Klefbom. Brodin's development is now measured in inches because of his elite status. Klefbom in miles because he was and is a project.

Fact is; Brodin played in the WC and did a great job. He transferred over to the AHL and looked really smooth in that transition. Fact is, he played more games and had no injury concerns compared to Klefbom. And yet, Klefbom is as good as Brodin is at this time? Or better? Why? Because he projects higher and has a higher upside that he might not reach? The fact is, we can wish and hope, and project as much as we want but Brodin has done a lot more in the past few years compared to Klefbom. Klefbom only looks a bit shinier because he had so much growth left while Brodin had already reached that potential.

That's why I get miffed is because Brodin is constantly downplayed as some top 4 tweener.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:00 PM
  #64
franfrey*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
He played in the NHL a bit last year, usually on the 1st line with Eberle and RNH. He's pretty good at making space but he doesn't really have the offense yet (at least at the NHL level) to make an impact in the top6.

In terms of underrating prospects...
General: Klefbom
HF: Klefbom
Oiler fans: Pajaarvi
No way Klefbom is more underrated than Harti. Harti is a sure-fire NHLer who will probably figure in the Oilers' top six next year, and who would be by far, the Barons' best player if it wasn't for the lock-out. Yet no one on these boards talks about him (other than Oilers fans). He's also seemed to have improved quite a bit since last year, so that's nice to see.


Last edited by franfrey*: 12-12-2012 at 04:26 PM.
franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
  #65
Dellstrom
We Like Eich
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 18,116
vCash: 500
He's risky but Matt Grezelcyk has a lot of skill. Maybe he's get more attention in the WJC if he makes the US team, which I think he will. He just lacks a lot in the size department.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:39 PM
  #66
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,465
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Because Oiler prospects tend to get overrated. JDD over Harding? Klefbom over Brodin?



Yes. Because both of those players had question marks coming out with their injuries to the draft.



Brodin and Granlund are not injury prone. Klefbom has now had 2 seasons where he has had to sit out stretches due to injuries, which bites into his development. If Galchenyuk had injury concerns this year, I would question that as well.

Klefbom could be Minnesota's version of Cuma.

Oiler fans tend to downplay how far Brodin has gotten in the past two years compared to Klefbom. Brodin's development is now measured in inches because of his elite status. Klefbom in miles because he was and is a project.

Fact is; Brodin played in the WC and did a great job. He transferred over to the AHL and looked really smooth in that transition. Fact is, he played more games and had no injury concerns compared to Klefbom. And yet, Klefbom is as good as Brodin is at this time? Or better? Why? Because he projects higher and has a higher upside that he might not reach? The fact is, we can wish and hope, and project as much as we want but Brodin has done a lot more in the past few years compared to Klefbom. Klefbom only looks a bit shinier because he had so much growth left while Brodin had already reached that potential.

That's why I get miffed is because Brodin is constantly downplayed as some top 4 tweener.
I don't get why you have to get so ******** whenever Klefbom gets brought up. It's not just Oiler fans that think they're on equal terms as far as prospects go, it's actual scouts that get paid for their opinion. I don't think anyone has ever said Klefbom is better right now, but it's not far fetched in the slightest to think that he could be. That has been said all along (including before the draft)

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:06 PM
  #67
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
He's risky but Matt Grezelcyk has a lot of skill. Maybe he's get more attention in the WJC if he makes the US team, which I think he will. He just lacks a lot in the size department.
I think this U-20 will be a coming out party for him, Ghost, and McCabe.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:07 PM
  #68
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I disagree. He just isn't that talked about because he plays for Columbus. I think most people know he has very high upside
I meant by the articles on Hockey's Future, not the message boards.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:34 PM
  #69
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,529
vCash: 500
In Toronto: Leivo, and underdog who not many will know until he shows up is Toninato. In the AHL Holzer.
In Montreal: Ellis, in the system Bozon, in the AHL Tinordi(people are too much into Beaulieu for my liking)
In Buffalo: Mccabe, and still think he can be a surprise. In the AHL, Psysk?
I took a shot with the others.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:40 PM
  #70
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster
 
Ceff Jarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Pat Cannone for the Sens

Not flashy but he is the type of player that every team needs. I'd say a lot of ottawa fans don't even know him lol

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:48 PM
  #71
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,038
vCash: 500
I agree with whoever mentioned pysyk a few posts ago. He's going to be in our top 4 in the future but I rarely hear people outside of buffalo's board mention him. He's like a slightly more physical lydman with better skating. Thinks the game really well. Probably doesn't get a lot of love because he's not a scoring/hitting machine. He's one of those defensemen you don't notice, but it's in a good way.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
  #72
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beached whaler View Post
Pat Cannone for the Sens

Not flashy but he is the type of player that every team needs. I'd say a lot of ottawa fans don't even know him lol
he is 26 years old...

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
  #73
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Saving Greiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,377
vCash: 500
Underrated by the general boards? If so, then Harrington.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:05 PM
  #74
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,957
vCash: 400
Until the whole WJC hype came up, it was definitely Frankie Corrado.

Now I'd say it's Eddie Lack.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
  #75
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster
 
Ceff Jarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
he is 26 years old...
That is true. But I don't define prospects only by age. He would fall into the undrafted prospect category. Keep in mind he has only been in the Sens organization for a year and a half and he is off to great start. I think he has the potential to be a .5 point per game player at any level he plays at because of his high hockey IQ. We will see.

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.