HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leaf Gear Removed in Ottawa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2012, 02:28 PM
  #26
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Leafs fans take over SBP
MLSE takes over the Market
Leafs clothes take over Roots
And most Sens fans just sit back and take it. Yet when some people stir the pot and try to cause a bit of a ruckus and get Sens fans goin, well some people think it's too much or too "out there"..............................

Just because we live in a political town doesnt mean that we always have to be politically correct or impartial or make the "safe" move. Throw a little emotion and pride around every once and awhile. You'd be surprised how fun it can be!

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:32 PM
  #27
Indy on the Road
From the ground up
 
Indy on the Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
And most Sens fans just sit back and take it.
Roots displays ugly Toronto Maple Leaf clothing in their store in Ottawa. What exactly is 'it' that we are taking?

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:36 PM
  #28
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Senators Fan View Post
Roots displays ugly Toronto Maple Leaf clothing in their store in Ottawa. What exactly is 'it' that we are taking?
Spencer Callaghn, who took the original pic, I think said it best.

"If you look at the picture, there is a massive display with a dozen or more Leafs items, a mannequin and everything. I looked through the store and didn’t find a single Sens item (I was there Christmas shopping, this wasn’t a sting).

I simply don’t think it is respectful, or wise, for an iconic Canadian company, that obviously knows the importance of hockey to this country, to so brazenly promote a rival team’s gear without so much as a stitch of Sens gear.

Yes the Leafs and Habs have more history, but after 20 years, and the decades of Sens history before that, it is time we started to be respected."

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:40 PM
  #29
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity
 
Tyskie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Just because we live in a political town doesnt mean that we always have to be politically correct or impartial or make the "safe" move. Throw a little emotion and pride around every once and awhile. You'd be surprised how fun it can be!
lol I remember some of the reactions here after last years' All-Star draft. "How dare we boo Joffrey Lupul?!"

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:43 PM
  #30
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post
lol I remember some of the reactions here after last years' All-Star draft. "How dare we boo Joffrey Lupul?!"
Yeah, I gotta say that the All Star Draft was pretty phenomenal. Sens fans let 'em have it on a national (international?) stage. Good times!!!

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:45 PM
  #31
Indy on the Road
From the ground up
 
Indy on the Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,832
vCash: 500
The article noted Roots' sells more Leafs gear in Ottawa than Sens gear... at least we know Sens fans have better taste.

Iconic Canadian Company... lol.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:03 PM
  #32
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
I read somewhere that the Leafs merchandise accounted for something like 60% of the total sales league wide.

Roots would be stupid to not carry the best selling NHL merchandise there is.

You guys do know that outside of a couple of hundred thousand people, nobody gives a rat's ass about the Ottawa Senators...don't you?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
  #33
Smash88
Registered User
 
Smash88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I read somewhere that the Leafs merchandise accounted for something like 60% of the total sales league wide.

Roots would be stupid to not carry the best selling NHL merchandise there is.

You guys do know that outside of a couple of hundred thousand people, nobody gives a rat's ass about the Ottawa Senators...don't you?
It's completely besides the point.. No one says they can't sell it..

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
  #34
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I read somewhere that the Leafs merchandise accounted for something like 60% of the total sales league wide.

Roots would be stupid to not carry the best selling NHL merchandise there is.

You guys do know that outside of a couple of hundred thousand people, nobody gives a rat's ass about the Ottawa Senators...don't you?
So what's your point? The fact of the matter is that Roots chose to sell no Senators gear in OTTAWA. You know, the place where those 200,000 or so fans primarily RESIDE.

From a business standpoint, sure peddle all the Leafs crap you want, you're free to. But from another business standpoint, how STUPID is it to not carry any Senators gear whatsoever?

And as others pointed out, I'm glad people spoke up. You'd never see this fly in Montreal with a Leafs display and God forbid some store owner is dumb enough to set up a Yankees display in Boston. Good on people for speaking out. And shame on the rest of you for chastizing them. This is why people think our fanbase sucks. Because we roll over and "assume the position" when it comes to Leafs and Habs fans in our own backyard.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
  #35
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateleclaire View Post
so what's your point? The fact of the matter is that roots chose to sell no senators gear in ottawa. You know, the place where those 200,000 or so fans primarily reside.

From a business standpoint, sure peddle all the leafs crap you want, you're free to. But from another business standpoint, how stupid is it to not carry any senators gear whatsoever?

And as others pointed out, i'm glad people spoke up. You'd never see this fly in montreal with a leafs display and god forbid some store owner is dumb enough to set up a yankees display in boston. Good on people for speaking out. And shame on the rest of you for chastizing them. This is why people think our fanbase sucks. Because we roll over and "assume the position" when it comes to leafs and habs fans in our own backyard.
Bingo!!!!!!

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:24 PM
  #36
Inf4mous0ne
Registered User
 
Inf4mous0ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
So what's your point? The fact of the matter is that Roots chose to sell no Senators gear in OTTAWA. You know, the place where those 200,000 or so fans primarily RESIDE.

From a business standpoint, sure peddle all the Leafs crap you want, you're free to. But from another business standpoint, how STUPID is it to not carry any Senators gear whatsoever?

And as others pointed out, I'm glad people spoke up. You'd never see this fly in Montreal with a Leafs display and God forbid some store owner is dumb enough to set up a Yankees display in Boston. Good on people for speaking out. And shame on the rest of you for chastizing them. This is why people think our fanbase sucks. Because we roll over and "assume the position" when it comes to Leafs and Habs fans in our own backyard.
Well put

Inf4mous0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:27 PM
  #37
Indy on the Road
From the ground up
 
Indy on the Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,832
vCash: 500
To be fair to Roots, I believe it was only one location (Bayshore), not all of Ottawa.

My question is, why should we care if people think our fanbase sucks? We're awesome.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:30 PM
  #38
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,231
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
So what's your point? The fact of the matter is that Roots chose to sell no Senators gear in OTTAWA. You know, the place where those 200,000 or so fans primarily RESIDE.

From a business standpoint, sure peddle all the Leafs crap you want, you're free to. But from another business standpoint, how STUPID is it to not carry any Senators gear whatsoever?

And as others pointed out, I'm glad people spoke up. You'd never see this fly in Montreal with a Leafs display and God forbid some store owner is dumb enough to set up a Yankees display in Boston. Good on people for speaking out. And shame on the rest of you for chastizing them. This is why people think our fanbase sucks. Because we roll over and "assume the position" when it comes to Leafs and Habs fans in our own backyard.
High Five

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
  #39
benjiv1
Registered User
 
benjiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,804
vCash: 500
I would like to mention that they have taken down the "display". (which was the issue, not so much that they sell Leafs gear)

Roots Bayshore doesnt even carry NHL stuff...

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:52 PM
  #40
Quo
Moderator
pigeon
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,058
vCash: 500
Would Senators fans in Ottawa really go to Roots to buy their Sens gear, or would they go to the store entirely dedicated to Sens gear, namely, The Sens Store?

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
  #41
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,754
vCash: 500
Could care less. I'm not buying their Leaf merch either way. If anything, I'd ask where their Sens merch was, rather than threatening to avoid giving my business to Roots over affiliation to a pro sports team.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
  #42
OneManArmy65*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
Would Senators fans in Ottawa really go to Roots to buy their Sens gear, or would they go to the store entirely dedicated to Sens gear, namely, The Sens Store?

OneManArmy65* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM
  #43
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
Would Senators fans in Ottawa really go to Roots to buy their Sens gear, or would they go to the store entirely dedicated to Sens gear, namely, The Sens Store?
I would go to Roots if I was monumentally irresponsible with my money.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:37 PM
  #44
Inf4mous0ne
Registered User
 
Inf4mous0ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
Would Senators fans in Ottawa really go to Roots to buy their Sens gear, or would they go to the store entirely dedicated to Sens gear, namely, The Sens Store?
Do Leaf fans go to Roots to solely buy Leafs gear? No, but they might while they're shopping because it's AVAILABLE. The same could be said as a Sens fan who was shopping there and noticed Sens gear for sale. Did that really need to be explained?

However, imo it's more about representing/respecting the City you live/do business in.

And just to clarify, I'm not mad at Roots for doing it or anything like that (although I would have liked to hear that they had Sens gear as well), I'm just more surprised that some of you can't see why the people made the comments (or even that some are criticizing people for making them). It's not like they were outside picketing the store. They just pointed it out to their twitter/the staff.


Last edited by Inf4mous0ne: 12-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Inf4mous0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:49 PM
  #45
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
Would Senators fans in Ottawa really go to Roots to buy their Sens gear, or would they go to the store entirely dedicated to Sens gear, namely, The Sens Store?
I buy Sens gear wherever its accessible and (usually) on sale. I've bought from the Sens Store, Zellers, Walmart, Sports Experts, wherever.

Heck, I've bought Sens gear in Phoenix. However, this sports store didn't have a huge Sens display or a huge LA Kings display...it had a Coyotes display. The Sens gear was in the back with the rest of the NHL merchandise. That's the key issue here.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:49 PM
  #46
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
Would Senators fans in Ottawa really go to Roots to buy their Sens gear, or would they go to the store entirely dedicated to Sens gear, namely, The Sens Store?
Roots makes nice stuff. The only company that really makes "vintage" style Sens stuff is Oldtime Hockey. I don't always like their style for hoodies and sweaters.
Roots make a high quality and stylish product. If It was a design I liked i would buy from Roots.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:05 PM
  #47
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
Alright, here's to retail equality.

The real issue is...who the F is buying NHL merch right now anyway?

These clowns do not deserve any of our money.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
  #48
Quo
Moderator
pigeon
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensPromo View Post
Do Leaf fans go to Roots to solely buy Leafs gear? No, but they might while they're shopping because it's AVAILABLE. The same could be said as a Sens fan who was shopping there and noticed Sens gear for sale. Did that really need to be explained?

However, imo it's more about representing/respecting the City you live/do business in.

And just to clarify, I'm not mad at Roots for doing it or anything like that (although I would have liked to hear that they had Sens gear as well), I'm just more surprised that some of you can't see why the people made the comments (or even that some are criticizing people for making them). It's not like they were outside picketing the store. They just pointed it out to their twitter/the staff.
I understand and even sympathize. Just thought it might be a consideration of the managers at Roots.

Point taken though about Roots having quality merch. Don't much care for it myself but there's no question on that score. That by itself would give them a distinctive angle to market NHL gear from a number of Canadian teams that would distinguish them from something like the Sens Store.

John mentioned the real issue being "who the F is buying NHL merch right now anyway?". Perhaps (perhaps) the good people at Roots have done a quick market analysis and determined that the only team worth manufacturing anything for at present is Toronto.

For other Canadian teams like Ottawa (probably especially Ottawa) it's just another reminder that the Leafs are "Canada's Team" whatever the heck that means. It's right that that should stick in their craw (not gonna lie, it makes me gag a little) but it may be purely a business thing. Sometimes businesses just don't give a **** - not always because they don't care but because they don't know they should be caring.

If this little scenario that I've built in my own head is at all close to the truth, maybe, if you guys complain loud enough, Roots will have to change their business plan.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
  #49
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Im not a retail Guru but could this not have been a mistake? Wrong box got shipped with instructions to dress up a mannequin? Is that possible in the retail world?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:22 PM
  #50
v-man
Registered User
 
v-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,903
vCash: 500
As far as I know, Roots doesn't even produce merchandise for any other NHL team but the Leafs. Ottawa's too small a market for them to make such products when sport branded clothing is not a huge part of their business (outside of the Olympics at times). Unlike the Red Sox/Yankees example, there is a huge Leafs fanbase in Ottawa due to the short history of the modern day Sens, and any shop manager with a brain would and should cater to all available markets, which in Ottawa's case includes a lot of tourists visiting the nation's capital. To get upset about one of the country's most iconic teams being marketed in the capital region is ridiculous.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.