HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Yes because concussed depth defenseman usually get a lottery pick in return. Right?

It's nonsense because you choose not to believe the information that was provided to you. That's all I will say. If you want to keep your hopes up, read articles from last January when he tried to make a come back.
So Sauer's just another depth dmen who's value is on par with Ryan Hollweg's 5 years ago. . . . . . .

You linked their values, yet can't provide a legitimate reason why GM's around the league wouldn't offer more than a 5th round draft pick. Esq questioned it best; why can't his value be in between a 5th and a lottery?

As far as ignoring information, you need to look yourself in the mirror. You're entire argument is hinging on what? Sauer's progress over a year ago? And his coaches comments?

Sauer himself said he's making progress. That information is more recent than the crutch your leaning on.

You're literally, the only poster I've seen on this entire forum who's trying to pawn off Sauer for nothing. And your opinion is being based on his coaches thoughts which came before Sauer started making progress. Why isn't this registering in your head? Is it that hard to accept the fact that your wrong about something, and just move on?

You can't win every single internet-discussion... Not unless your sbob.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:12 PM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
There's everything you need to know, folks! Michael Sauer is on par with Stu Bickel.
I mean, I'm not over on the Rangers part, but I thought they had Staal Girardi, McDonagh and Del Zotto.
Or do you guys really view Sauer as an all-star dman?

In the system they have McIlrath and ... they drafted to solid d prospects this year, who shouldnt take as long to develop as McIlrath.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:16 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You're literally, the only poster I've seen on this entire forum who's trying to pawn off Sauer for nothing. And your opinion is being based on his coaches thoughts which came before Sauer started making progress. Why isn't this registering in your head? Is it that hard to accept the fact that your wrong about something, and just move on?
I'm not trying to pawn him off as nothing. Based on the thread, they asked Sauer's current value. I gave an honest assessment of his current value. The trade topics are an opinion thread. So, I'm not wrong in that aspect. I think you are confusing "disagree" with "wrong".

Additionally, I'm not basing it off of what the coach said. I'm basing it off what I know.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I mean, I'm not over on the Rangers part, but I thought they had Staal Girardi, McDonagh and Del Zotto.

In the system they have McIlrath and ... they drafted to solid d prospects this year, who shouldnt take as long to develop as McIlrath.
Overall, and when healthy, I think Sauer is a better defenseman than Del Zotto - certainly in the defensive and neutral zones.

Your rhetorical question reminds me of the horrors in absolutes that await us once the season starts. Sauer doesnt have to be "an all-star dman" to slot into the top 4.

Thats quickly followed by another horrifying thing - that Sauer's issues are somehow linked to McIlrath or, even worse, Brady Skjei.

Last edited by Bleed Ranger Blue: 12-12-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 01:25 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Well you've got to assume he's spent a decent bit of his earnings already. And don't forget he's not getting the $750k from the first half of this season.

Plus, Beacon's assessment of his total tax burden is pretty accurate. Sure the top federal rate is 35% but there are also state & local taxes.

Either way, real sad we are having this conversation. I'm sure Michael will be able to get a good paying job in hockey (or elsewhere) if it comes to it.
Why not? Injured players do get paid even if there is a lock out,no?

And for a worker who is pay'd 100k a year , it will take 30 years to earn 3 millions. And from those 100k, the worker also pay taxes.

But my question was, is there a kind of insurance for lost income, because of a injured forced retirement?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:44 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Overall, and when healthy, I think Sauer is a better defenseman than Del Zotto - certainly in the defensive and neutral zones.

Your rhetorical question reminds me of the horrors in absolutes that await us once the season starts. Sauer doesnt have to be "an all-star dman" to slot into the top 4.

Thats quickly followed by another horrifying thing - that Sauer's issues are somehow linked to McIlrath or, even worse, Brady Skjei.
Sauer is better than DZ defensively, sure. But DZ had a great start to the season, defensively... and partially due to him playing with Sauer. But, NY lacks PMDs, making Del Zotto more important to the team, IMO.

Also, never heard people complain about Skjei before. The kid will be solid defensively. As will Calle Andersson, if they can get him over hear. Unfortunately, Andersson will follow the same road as Sauer and Pashnin, and have to wait a couple years before getting a shot with the Rangers. That can be discouraging. Sauer made is clear he was not happy staying in the minors for several years. Pashnin isn't even mentioned among Rangers prospects anymore. I'd hate to see Calle take that route.

Overall, the Rangers are and will be fine defensively, with or without Sauer, so I don't understand why people are taking Sauer discussions so personally.

Edit - also, when I use "depth", I mean 'down on the depth chart', as in 5th on the current team. Sorry that offends people.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Sauer is better than DZ defensively, sure. But DZ had a great start to the season, defensively... and partially due to him playing with Sauer. But, NY lacks PMDs, making Del Zotto more important to the team, IMO.

Also, never heard people complain about Skjei before. The kid will be solid defensively. As will Calle Andersson, if they can get him over hear. Unfortunately, Andersson will follow the same road as Sauer and Pashnin, and have to wait a couple years before getting a shot with the Rangers. That can be discouraging. Sauer made is clear he was not happy staying in the minors for several years. Pashnin isn't even mentioned among Rangers prospects anymore. I'd hate to see Calle take that route.

Overall, the Rangers are and will be fine defensively, with or without Sauer, so I don't understand why people are taking Sauer discussions so personally.

Edit - also, when I use "depth", I mean 'down on the depth chart', as in 5th on the current team. Sorry that offends people.
Not taking it personally, but I've seen Sauer play enough at the NHL level to know that hes a legitimate NHL defenseman. I could care less about these prospects until Im able to make the same judgment on them.

Im not bashing the prospects or Brady Skjei in particular, but 99% of this board couldnt pick him out of a police lineup, yet are ready to insert him into an NHL lineup. Hes years away, if he even makes it at all. How exactly does that help the loss of a good D-man like Sauer?

As for the other guys you mentioned, theres a lot of factors at play, but just waiting for a spot to open up is not one of them. Stu Bickel is currently this team's #6 Dman as of now for crying out loud.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Again, Is there no middle ground between do being an All Star and a depth defenseman? He's a second-pair blueliner. He is our second-best RD.

Let me put it this way: teams are paying first or at least second round picks for second-pair defensemen who are impending UFAs just to have them for the playoffs. If the only thing we get out of Sauer for the rest of his career is a few playoff games, that's worth well more than a 5th round pick.

Considering that he was living a normal life half a year ago, Sauer should be ready well before the playoffs.

Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about. McIlrath will be ready long before Skjei. He's a superior talent and he's 2 years older. McIlrath will be in the NHL in 12-24 months. Skjei will still be in college.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Sauers a top 4 defenseman on most of the teams out there. Hes a better overall defenseman than MDZ, but he's got next to no offense, which makes MDZ more valuable to this team.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Why not? Injured players do get paid even if there is a lock out,no?

And for a worker who is pay'd 100k a year , it will take 30 years to earn 3 millions. And from those 100k, the worker also pay taxes.

But my question was, is there a kind of insurance for lost income, because of a injured forced retirement?
That worker will get pay increases if for no other reason than inflation. If you are making $100k today and you keep about the same job, no promotions and no demotions, after 30 years, you won't make $100k, you'll likely make at least double that.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:16 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Again, Is there no middle ground between do being an All Star and a depth defenseman? He's a second-pair blueliner. He is our second-best RD.

Let me put it this way: teams are paying first or at least second round picks for second-pair defensemen who are impending UFAs just to have them for the playoffs. If the only thing we get out of Sauer for the rest of his career is a few playoff games, that's worth well more than a 5th round pick.

Considering that he was living a normal life half a year ago, Sauer should be ready well before the playoffs.

You have no idea what you are talking about. McIlrath will be ready long before Skjei. He's a superior talent and he's 2 years older. McIlrath will be in the NHL in 12-24 months. Skjei will still be in college.

I did not say this. I think you need to read what I wrote, and stop trying to figure out how you are going to jump all over my response.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
I'm not trying to pawn him off as nothing. Based on the thread, they asked Sauer's current value. I gave an honest assessment of his current value. The trade topics are an opinion thread. So, I'm not wrong in that aspect. I think you are confusing "disagree" with "wrong".
My opinion about your opinion is that it's wrong. I don't think you gave an honest assessment.

Quote:
Additionally, I'm not basing it off of what the coach said. I'm basing it off what I know.
Basing it off what you know?

What exactly do you know then?

Old
12-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
SNIP
If he was paying NY State and City taxes, he's probably taking home closer to $1.2 - 1.3 million. (including Agents fees).

On the other hand, why do you assume he'd be buying a pricy place in Brooklyn? He's from St Cloud, MN. He has a lot of family there. From what I recall, he enjoys hunting/fishing/outdoor activities. I doubt he'd move here if he was retired.

Average home prices in St Cloud are like $115k. After furnishing, etc, he'd have at least $1 million remaining.

He should be able to get 5% at least, which would give him an income of $50,000 a year. With the right stock portfolio, he could easily make $60,000+ in dividends alone, not even factoring in any gains in the stock price inflating his net worth.

It's not a rich life, but he could do it. And that's assuming he does NOTHING else.

He could likely get a job as a hockey coach somewhere, either in a lower program or an assistant at a college, etc. That could add in another say $7500 to $50,000 a year.

Both of those have an inflation buffer since historically, stocks outpace inflation, and the hockey positions pay would rise with inflation.

Having a large sum of cash as your disposal gives you more options than someone earnings the same amount in smaller sums over a course of time.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
If he was paying NY State and City taxes, he's probably taking home closer to $1.2 - 1.3 million. (including Agents fees).

On the other hand, why do you assume he'd be buying a pricy place in Brooklyn? He's from St Cloud, MN. He has a lot of family there. From what I recall, he enjoys hunting/fishing/outdoor activities. I doubt he'd move here if he was retired.

Average home prices in St Cloud are like $115k. After furnishing, etc, he'd have at least $1 million remaining.

He should be able to get 5% at least, which would give him an income of $50,000 a year. With the right stock portfolio, he could easily make $60,000+ in dividends alone, not even factoring in any gains in the stock price inflating his net worth.

It's not a rich life, but he could do it. And that's assuming he does NOTHING else.

He could likely get a job as a hockey coach somewhere, either in a lower program or an assistant at a college, etc. That could add in another say $7500 to $50,000 a year.

Both of those have an inflation buffer since historically, stocks outpace inflation, and the hockey positions pay would rise with inflation.

Having a large sum of cash as your disposal gives you more options than someone earnings the same amount in smaller sums over a course of time.

No doubt having some money is better than having no money. That's true if you have $20,000 saved up vs. having no money saved up. But Sauer will still need to have a middle-class job, such as being a HS coach, in order to maintain a middle-class lifestyle.

Let's keep in mind that today it's almost impossible to make 5-6% interest unless you are talking about risky investments. Look at CD rates, they are under 1% annually. The highest I ever remember CDs paying since the Jimmy Carter era of high inflation was around 6%. On average in my lifetime, it has been 3% interest on a CD or a similar safe investment (obviously on a risky investment you can double your money or lose half of it in mere days).

That's about $30k a year if he has a million saved up at the end of his career after buying a small house in MN. And that's not counting inflation which will make this $30k much less with time. Every 20 years, inflation reduces the value of money in half. So when he's in his mid-40s, it will be the equivalent of $15k and when he retires, it will be the equivalent of $7k annually. Not exactly big money.

I doubt even that, however. He's living in New York now and he must be spending at least $100k annually.

He'll burn through half a million during his career. He'll buy a house for another $200, which is nothing special (my cousin got a $400k house in the Midwest, and his house is nothing special, so a $200 house is nothing outrageous) and spend another $50k to fix and furnish it.

That will leave him with half a million dollars, assuming he's not wasting money right now. That's nice to have, but not enough to live a life of luxury without working. He'll need a middle class job to have a middle class lifestyle. The additional $10-15k he'll get in interest will be enough for him to upgrade his car or to take a nicer vacation a couple of times a year, but it isn't the lifestyle of the rich and famous that people are thinking of when they discuss retired hockey players.

And to be honest, given his age and current salary, I suspect that he's spending much more than $100k a year and will buy a house for more money, so that after buying the house, he will have negligible savings. I suspect that a nice house and a nice car, plus a $40-50k in savings will be the only thing left at the end of his career if he were to retire today.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Vitto79

Sorry to bump this but anyone hear anything on Sauer? Was hoping he would be skating and cleared to play some rehab games in CT.

was some dude on these boards not fishing buds with him?

Old
12-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Sorry to bump this but anyone hear anything on Sauer? Was hoping he would be skating and cleared to play some rehab games in CT.

was some dude on these boards not fishing buds with him?

I said it last year about Staal and I will say this again about Sauer. There's no reason to bump these threads for no reason just to ask if there's any news on the guy. As soon as there will be news, there will be 20 people posting here within the first 10 minutes. "Sauer is making progress!" or "Sauer suffered a setback!" will be overlapping each other as people will be writing the same thing at the same time.

By bumping this thread, you are giving us hope that there's news, only to come here and find out that there isn't.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Sorry to bump this but anyone hear anything on Sauer?
I've heard that a 5th round draft pick is more valuable to this franchise than Sauer. That's about all the news I have.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:36 PM
terrrrrible

Got to talk to Jim Cerny at a Whale game recently, didn't have much good to say about Sauer's recovery. Said more about how badly the team misses his play.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I guarantee you the Rangers will NOT allow any testing on Sauer while the lockout is ongoing. There's just no reason to put him through the stress. The tests themselves are not good for a concussed guy. Why would you put him through the tests when there is no hockey anyway?

Plus, why bum him out if he's not doing well? If he can live his life normally, but can't play hockey yet, why let him know this by putting him through this test? Let him rest. It will probably go away. Having him think positively will actually be helpful in the recovery process.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 2800
Quote:
I said it last year about Staal and I will say this again about Sauer. There's no reason to bump these threads for no reason just to ask if there's any news on the guy. As soon as there will be news, there will be 20 people posting here within the first 10 minutes. "Sauer is making progress!" or "Sauer suffered a setback!" will be overlapping each other as people will be writing the same thing at the same time.

By bumping this thread, you are giving us hope that there's news, only to come here and find out that there isn't.
Exactly. I said the same thing a while ago.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Old
12-20-2012, 06:10 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:

It reminds me of the old newyorkrangers.com boards:

Title: Leetch cleared to play

Message: Does anyone know when Leetch will be cleared to play?

Old
12-23-2012, 10:53 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

The hit was like something out of ECW for those of you familiar with it except it wasn't fake. It was head to metal impact. He probably doesn't play this year.

If he's not better by next summer he probably will have to call it a career.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:00 PM
M Gaz
Who needs a captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The hit was like something out of ECW for those of you familiar with it except it wasn't fake. It was head to metal impact. He probably doesn't play this year.

If he's not better by next summer he probably will have to call it a career.
What makes you so sure?

Old
12-24-2012, 08:03 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
What makes you so sure?
Yeah, I mean we all know about the injury history with the family, especially with Kurt, but how is this a definite "not gonna play at all next season scenario?"

Old
12-31-2012, 07:58 AM
TheDave1022

Sounds like the Rangers are expecting Sauer to miss the year as per Brooks

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...GjBYdj5mt2WHhI (2nd paragraph)

"That would increase the Blueshirts’ 2012-13 cap charge to approximately $64.535 million for a shadow roster featuring two goaltenders, six healthy defensemen plus Michael Sauer, who is expected to be sidelined all year with post-concussion syndrome;"

Closed Thread