HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2013: closest WJC we've seen?

Old
12-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

vCash: 500
My good friend watched the game tonight; said RNH was head and shoulders better than everyone.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
The fact that there's an NHL during this tournament makes it a relatively even playing field for the big 4. When there is no NHL Canada has proven that it is not such an even playing field. This year they aren't as loaded as in those last two years but they are still in my opinion quite easily the best team on paper.

Hamilton, RNH, Huberdeau, Scheifele and Strome would all very likely be in the NHL this year (only one here that's debatable is Strome).

Yakupov is very likely the only Russian that would be in the NHL.

In a single elimination tournament anything can happen as we've learned. I'm not saying Canada will steamroll everyone but they are clearly the best on paper.
I'm not sure you can prove anything twice.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:13 AM
zeropotentate

I think we should have learned a lesson from the previous tournaments since Canada has won gold. Canada gets super hyped and finds a way to fall flat on its face. I suspect, but not necessarily hope that Canada will find a way to do it again this year.

However, they may pull out a gold medal victory, but it won't be a breeze for them.

Personally, I just hope Finland beats the United States. Watching those two teams play is my favourite part in the tournament, and Finland looks like it could do it this year.

I'm also excited to watch Grigorenko and Yakupov play together.

I think this year will be closer, but there is still a difference between the upper teams and the not-quite-as-good teams.

zeropotentate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Novak Djokovic
HOSSA! HOSSA! HOSSA!

Some Canadian fans need to chill out. The "best" or "most talented" team doesn't always win the tournament; it will be very close, and in a one game scenario, Finland, Russia, US and Swedes can beat Canada. I would really like Canada's chances in a series, but that's not what the World Juniors is about. Timely saves, good execution and a little bit of luck is required in these kind of tournaments.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Some Canadian fans need to chill out. The "best" or "most talented" team doesn't always win the tournament; it will be very close, and in a one game scenario, Finland, Russia, US and Swedes can beat Canada. I would really like Canada's chances in a series, but that's not what the World Juniors is about. Timely saves, good execution and a little bit of luck is required in these kind of tournaments.
This is about it - many matches will be in effect best of one games even before the medal round. Canada will face several talented teams who might have a very hot goalie that particular night. There's also big ice and probably even more international style refereeing (I'll tell you the home crow will go berserk with very North American style physicality and that will influence the referees at least at times). And even talentwise I think Russia is quite even with Canada: they do have an amazingly strong team this year. So, I would say two about equal big favourites and 2-3 strong dark horses this year.

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
August Super Series
Ah yes, the "even match up", which resulted in 3 wins and loses each with Russia have a better goal differential by 3.

Clearly proven indeed.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
In both lockout WJC's combined Canada has outscored it's opponents 90-29. I know it's a small sample size but that is a somewhat large goal spread. I'm not saying this year's Canadian team is comparable to 05 but I'd wager it's the best team in this tournament since that team.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

Color me unimpressed by Canada's talent. Besides Hamilton, Mackinnon and RNH, there won't be any NHL standout player on that roster.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:03 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Did I mention that we are also #1 in hockey-related excuses?

#1 BABY!

Haha, I love this post, at least this year if Canada loses we won't have to hear the old Canadian "We didn't have our best players" excuse. And since Canada genuinely loves this tournament we'll miss out on the "We don't really care about that tournament anyway" excuse we hear after a loss in the Worlds. Only question remains: will we be treated at any point to another Canadian favorite---the ol' "We lost but we were still the better team" excuse?

BTW, I'm posting this in fun and in jest, please don't get all buttsore and delete it or ban me.

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:19 PM
TherapyforGlencross
Regular HFer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Color me unimpressed by Canada's talent. Besides Hamilton, Mackinnon and RNH, there won't be any NHL standout player on that roster.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Yup this is how I see it as well. I will also add that I think chemistry between players is much more important than having the best talent of the tournament.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:22 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Haha, I love this post, at least this year if Canada loses we won't have to hear the old Canadian "We didn't have our best players" excuse. And since Canada genuinely loves this tournament we'll miss out on the "We don't really care about that tournament anyway" excuse we hear after a loss in the Worlds. Only question remains: will we be treated at any point to another Canadian favorite---the ol' "We lost but we were still the better team" excuse?

BTW, I'm posting this in fun and in jest, please don't get all buttsore and delete it or ban me.
Haha! Spot on, sir.

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807

Better individual players is not equal a better team. Just becuse Canada have better players then Sweden does not mean they are a better team. Or vice versa. A team is defined by so many factors. Canada is not entering this tournament as the "best team" either. The champions have that title. Is Canada the champions? No. They are dont even carry a silver medal to this tournament. Canada is not best. They were best for many years but those players are not here now.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:48 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Canada has the best player and the best team on paper IMO. They are clearly ahead of anyone except Russia maybe. USA, Finland and Sweden come after them and then the rest. I'll be very surprised if Canada isn't in the finals even though it's always a possibility.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Ah yes, the "even match up", which resulted in 3 wins and loses each with Russia have a better goal differential by 3.

Clearly proven indeed.
Sorry to ruin your little ego boost but he is referring to the 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge. Held in Canada and Russia on August 9–14, 2012. This was the even match up between Canada and Russia in a 4 game series which ended 2-2 with Canada winning the series in OT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Ca...ssia_Challenge

Last edited by Dynamo81: 12-13-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:34 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

So with the tourney underway I think it's been very close for the most part.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Steve Holt
Embrace the hate

Yeah, this tournament has been pretty close. As for Canada, you'd have to be pretty naive to think they were above the other teams by any degree.

Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Maybe Drouin aswell, but anyone else? Doubt it.
Oh yeah maybe Reilly and Huberdeau aswell. Doubt they will be superstars though.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:03 AM
coursy17

How about now? Slovakia should have beat Russia, and gave Canada a good run. Russia beats USA 2-1 in a great game. Switzerland almost pulls the upset in Overtime. Czech Republic upsets the Fins. Poor Germany and Latvia. Slovakia and Switzerland might be a slight step behind the pack but neither team is a pushover. At this point I could honestly see Canada, Russia, USA, Sweden, Finland, or Czech Republic all winning Gold and it wouldn't seem like too much of a stretch

coursy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:27 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I mean being 13-0 in those two tournaments is pretty convincing. The 2005 team without a doubt was on a completely different level then any team that tournament. No one could touch them. I can't comment on 1995 though.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote