HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nazem Kadri named AHL Player of the Week ending Nov. 18 - and discussion thread.

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Another reason this lockout needs to end.

I'll admit I was a hater at first, but anyone watching the Marlies can see his talent jump off the ice, can't wait to see how he transitions to the bigs.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:57 AM
ScottyHolden

i dont post much but

I've watched Kadri play all season, and I feel he's been nothing special. Him getting this designation 'player of the week' I feel, is solely based on his points, not on his actual play. I can name a handful marlies playing above and beyond his level, and they get far less icetime.

The guy turns over the puck like it's his full time job, looks like he is going at half speed most of the time. He seems to always be one step behind the competition.

I played competitive hockey all my life and know all his little tricks, in order to make it look like he's working harder then he is. He doesn't ever save ice on turns, it's always this wide drawn out circle, doesn't keep his feet moving.. It's frustrating because i will watch him play a whole game terribly, then he will somehow net 2 assists on the only two passes that were good and everyone cheers him as if he's a superstar. I dunno if this makes sense, but it's like he is playing to impress his girlfriend in the crowd. He has this nonchalant'ness' to the way he plays which is aggravating at times. I would be stoked about his confidence if he were heads above everyone else on the ice, but he isn't, he's just a fine player that is slightly above average in the AHL.

Then again maybe this guy is a superstar, and I just can't get over my initial feelings towards his play style. Maybe I can't see his potential because he's such a sloppy skater, I just don't know. I really want to like him, I was excited when he was a london knight, and playing for team canada, but now not so much. I feel like I see the same things leaf management see's, and I full understand why he hasn't been brought up full time to the big leagues.. I think if he does make it too the big leagues he won't stack up more than a third line centre, or possibly a second line winger.

Last edited by ScottyHolden: 12-12-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Decided to look up Kadri's giveaways and compare to some other players.

Kadri had 9 giveaways in his 21 games last year. On pace for 35 giveaways over an 82 games season. (As per NHL.com)

Other forwards on Toronto over an 82 game season:
Kessel - 82
Grabo - 50
Lupul - 51
MacArthur - 38
Kulemin - 27
Bozak - 29
Connolly - 48
Frattin - 22

Some other young forwards over 82 games:
B Schenn - 23
Couturier - 28
Seguin - 43
Henrique - 28
Hodgson - 26
Nyquist - 23
Duchene - 30
O'Rielly - 34
Landeskog - 35

Some players had many more, some players had less. Kadri is right in the neighbourhood of most of the young players I chose to look at, being a little on the higher end but still in the range of them. Also note that giveaways is only half the battle really, takeaways are also important. Didn't bother looking that up for everyone but Kadri had 8 takeaways (compared to 9 giveaways). With the flak he often get in regards to this aspect of his game one could think his numbers would be something more along the lines of 20 giveaways and 5 takeaways. Not the 9 and 8 respectively that it is.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Decided to look up Kadri's giveaways and compare to some other players.

Kadri had 9 giveaways in his 21 games last year. On pace for 35 giveaways over an 82 games season. (As per NHL.com)

Other forwards on Toronto over an 82 game season:
Kessel - 82
Grabo - 50
Lupul - 51
MacArthur - 38
Kulemin - 27
Bozak - 29
Connolly - 48
Frattin - 22

Some other young forwards over 82 games:
B Schenn - 23
Couturier - 28
Seguin - 43
Henrique - 28
Hodgson - 26
Nyquist - 23
Duchene - 30
O'Rielly - 34
Landeskog - 35

Some players had many more, some players had less. Kadri is right in the neighbourhood of most of the young players I chose to look at, being a little on the higher end but still in the range of them. Also note that giveaways is only half the battle really, takeaways are also important. Didn't bother looking that up for everyone but Kadri had 8 takeaways (compared to 9 giveaways). With the flak he often get in regards to this aspect of his game one could think his numbers would be something more along the lines of 20 giveaways and 5 takeaways. Not the 9 and 8 respectively that it is.
Giveaways is a stat more indicative of puck possession than carelessness in my opinion, and should be contextualized as such.

Tough one to judge.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Giveaways is a stat more indicative of puck possession than carelessness in my opinion, and should be contextualized as such.

Tough one to judge.
Oh yes, there are many other things that would have to be considered. Time on ice and quality of competition would be a couple of those things. Bringing in those variables are needed to get a better representation but that is beyond my abilities

Old
12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
ScottyHolden

Just watch the next game, he gives up the puck alot. I counted atleast 5 incidents in the game against abbotsford on the weekend, where he gave up the puck. Whether it was bobbling a pass then losing the battle for the loose puck, or passing it directly onto the opposing teams stick(he does this so much, and causes odd man rushes). It happens to him, it seems, far more often than other players on the marlies. I know he plays alot of minutes but it happens alot.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
That's because Kadri actually has possession of the puck and has the ability to make plays happen. Why don't you count the number of times his passes hit their target? Then get back to us about his terrible amount of giveaways.

Then, focus on every other player on the Marlies. And do the exact same thing. THen report back to us on their giveaway tendencies.

After all that is complete, take into account ice time, and player types (non-creative players like Greg Scott won't give up the puck much vs creative players who will)

After ALL of that, if Kadri still stands out as unacceptable, you may have a case.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
That's because Kadri actually has possession of the puck and has the ability to make plays happen. Why don't you count the number of times his passes hit their target? Then get back to us about his terrible amount of giveaways.

Then, focus on every other player on the Marlies. And do the exact same thing. THen report back to us on their giveaway tendencies.

After all that is complete, take into account ice time, and player types (non-creative players like Greg Scott won't give up the puck much vs creative players who will)

After ALL of that, if Kadri still stands out as unacceptable, you may have a case.
Kadri just can't make everyone happy. I won't be surprised if people start complaining about the way he walks and eats his food next.

"That damn Kadri, he thinks he's so good because he can eat his burgers while holding them with one hand instead of two! Show-off!"

Old
12-12-2012, 12:48 PM
ScottyHolden

You don't think I've already done that? That is a pretty standard checklist of things to take into account.

Unfortunately after all of that, he still stands out as making the most boneheaded plays

Old
12-12-2012, 01:16 PM
conway902

So he has had as many points as anyone in the AHL over the last 12-13 games and we are crying about his giveaways.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:52 PM
meng666

I honestly don't think he plays at his top level every game, generally it's a couple of brilliant shifts and that's about it. That being said, if he was going out there giving it all every single ahl game there's certainly a good chance that he might end up concussed or something. When the guy is playing full out he crashes the net and lays big hits and pisses off the opposite team. He was great in the playoffs last year doing all that stuff. It's a long season down there and I'm sure he expects to be in the nhl this year so he's not gonna be burning himself out and consistently putting a target on his back. Sure some folks think he has to earn it still but, he has, you're wrong, lots of teams would dress him. Maybe he should play full out every shift, but I'm sorry, I have not seen that from Gardiner and Frattin, they are exactly like Kadri this year, brilliant flashes but not consistently putting themselves in danger and burning themselves out. Gardiner and Frats have been awesome so far this year and so has Kadri, they all just haven't been playing their top game consistently and the reasons for that are obvious.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:54 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
So he has had as many points as anyone in the AHL over the last 12-13 games and we are crying about his giveaways.
there will always be something to complain about, even if it's not an issue. remember when people were whining because he was slapping his stick on the ice looking for passes? gotta love Leaf fans eh haha

Old
12-12-2012, 02:32 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
there will always be something to complain about, even if it's not an issue. remember when people were whining because he was slapping his stick on the ice looking for passes? gotta love Leaf fans eh haha
If Sundin can get complaints after being the best Leafs' player in some time I'm pretty sure Kadri is not above judgement.

We'll be at a better position to say what type of NHL player Kadri is in a couple seasons.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If Sundin can get complaints after being the best Leafs' player in some time I'm pretty sure Kadri is not above judgement.

We'll be at a better position to say what type of NHL player Kadri is in a couple seasons.
And that's probably the most important thing to remember with him. Yes, he can be lazy, not try, give up, etc, but the franchise already invested in the kid. He wil/should continue to get loads of playing time in the minors. He has the skill and ability, he just needs to take care of some of his issues. The AHL gives him that opportunity.

I don't see him as a franchise changing player, but he has potential to be a solid player, and a staple on [at least] the 2nd line for years.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:44 PM
ScottyHolden

Quote:
I agree with this aswell. Even after saying this, I think the leafs do need to put him up into the pro's for a stable period of time, and just let him hash it out, to see if he has it.

The leafs management made alot of broken promises last year. They have said alot of things on television that just didn't happen. That could be disheartening to a kid, and really **** with their head.

Time will tell.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
I honestly don't think he plays at his top level every game, generally it's a couple of brilliant shifts and that's about it.
of course he doesn't. he has the talent to be a great player, but the problem is that he only plays hard when he feels like it.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:48 PM
ScottyHolden

Reminds me of me as a kid. And all my report cards lol

"Scott the ability to be a top student in the class, he just needs to apply himself more consistantly."

Old
12-12-2012, 03:17 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
It is called immaturity and many players have it, but when you are they only golden boy (at the time) of the Leafs you are going to be scrutinized, so don't walk out in front of the camera while a mate is being interviewed and give the finger to the world by pretending to scratch your ear. I'm guessing the guys put him up to it.

Don't tweet anything that calls attention to yourself when the big team is struggling.

People will look for things, don't give them ammo.

There is a reason why they are taught cliches. JR talked the talk, but he walked the walk. Earn the space and respect before you decide you want attention.

Stampeders banned the players from twitter late in the year because of misteps made by even their star players.

Kadri has recently taken positive steps, now he has to keep taking those steps. He hasn't arrived at all, and I think this lock-out was the best thing for him.

wow. same issue again, he was scratching his head, i do it sometimes
can we cut him some slack, we are only fan base that hates when our prospects are doing well

Old
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyHolden View Post
I've watched Kadri play all season, and I feel he's been nothing special. Him getting this designation 'player of the week' I feel, is solely based on his points, not on his actual play. I can name a handful marlies playing above and beyond his level, and they get far less icetime.

The guy turns over the puck like it's his full time job, looks like he is going at half speed most of the time. He seems to always be one step behind the competition.

I played competitive hockey all my life and know all his little tricks, in order to make it look like he's working harder then he is. He doesn't ever save ice on turns, it's always this wide drawn out circle, doesn't keep his feet moving.. It's frustrating because i will watch him play a whole game terribly, then he will somehow net 2 assists on the only two passes that were good and everyone cheers him as if he's a superstar. I dunno if this makes sense, but it's like he is playing to impress his girlfriend in the crowd. He has this nonchalant'ness' to the way he plays which is aggravating at times. I would be stoked about his confidence if he were heads above everyone else on the ice, but he isn't, he's just a fine player that is slightly above average in the AHL.

Then again maybe this guy is a superstar, and I just can't get over my initial feelings towards his play style. Maybe I can't see his potential because he's such a sloppy skater, I just don't know. I really want to like him, I was excited when he was a london knight, and playing for team canada, but now not so much. I feel like I see the same things leaf management see's, and I full understand why he hasn't been brought up full time to the big leagues.. I think if he does make it too the big leagues he won't stack up more than a third line centre, or possibly a second line winger.

ur watching videos on him 3 years ago, he has improved soo much in that department

Old
12-12-2012, 03:22 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
It is called immaturity and many players have it, but when you are they only golden boy (at the time) of the Leafs you are going to be scrutinized, so don't walk out in front of the camera while a mate is being interviewed and give the finger to the world by pretending to scratch your ear. I'm guessing the guys put him up to it.
Ridiculous statements like this don't help. I wish people would stop trying to look for things that aren't there. The man is scratching his head, leave him alone.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:23 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post

great post!!!!!!!!
i have seen so many times where teams just double team him, that has something to do with it,
kadri will be great IMO

Old
12-12-2012, 03:45 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Ridiculous statements like this don't help. I wish people would stop trying to look for things that aren't there. The man is scratching his head, leave him alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
wow. same issue again, he was scratching his head, i do it sometimes
can we cut him some slack, we are only fan base that hates when our prospects are doing well
Come on you guys aren't that naive are you?

It was blatant.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:24 PM
ScottyHolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
ur watching videos on him 3 years ago, he has improved soo much in that department
No... I'm watching every game this Season.

I stated that in the first sentence of the post you quoted.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Folks be nice.

12-12-2012, 06:45 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyHolden View Post

That actually describes a lot of NHL stars.

Closed Thread