HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part VII

Old
12-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would be okay with Ichiro for (2) years. Guy is in phenomenal shape and has never hit for power. Guys who hit for average are better as they get older (see Jeter over ARod).

TRADE GRANDERSON!
yeah, with the exception of trading granderson i pretty much agree.

Next year go with...

Ichiro - Gardner - Granderson in the OF.

You need to have SOME power out there, and unless youre gonna go get Hamilton, you might as well keep Granderson. Looking at his career stats, this year was kinda outta the ordinary. And he still hit 40 homers.

Youklis at 3rd, Jeter at SS, Cano at 2nd Tex at 1st. Let the kids battle it out for C, and DH A-Rod when he gets back to protect him from constantly getting hurt. He can spell Youklis too since Youklis can get hurt as well.

Im actually a big fan of this team right now. I really like the addition of Youklis.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:27 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

Next year go with...

You need to have SOME power out there, and unless youre gonna go get Hamilton, you might as well keep Granderson. Looking at his career stats, this year was kinda outta the ordinary. And he still hit 40 homers.

Youklis at 3rd, Jeter at SS, Cano at 2nd Tex at 1st. Let the kids battle it out for C, and DH A-Rod when he gets back to protect him from constantly getting hurt. He can spell Youklis too since Youklis can get hurt as well.

Im actually a big fan of this team right now. I really like the addition of Youklis.
Youkilis is a no nonsense tough customer who brings it everyday. He is only 33 compared to the ages of a lot of our players. He has had to battle some injuries but you have to admit his tour with the white sox in the second half last year was pretty impressive considering how is season started. 15 HR with them. He can play 3rd and 1st base. That is big for the yankees.

I was very big on the yankees re-signing Ichiro. They needed to get away from the HR mentality this team has leaned so heavily on. It killed them in the playoffs. Watching guys like swisher and granderson swing through off speed after off speed. No adjustments at the plate to cut down their swing. Having guys like Ichiro, Gardener, and Jeter will be of great help. Not to mention Youkilis is also an OBP machine. This team needed that turnover.

As far as Granderson goes I would not be opposed to trading him. His defense is good though because of his speed. Average arm. But I would not trade him and then sign Hamilton. Hamilton has his flaws at the plate just like Granderson does. He swings through a lot off speed as well. Slower than granderson as far as defense goes. Power isn't everything. The yankees will have plenty of power in the lineup. However, I doubt Granderson is moved.

I still would not be opposed to bringing in AJ for the catching duties if the price is right. Another gamer who can swing the stick still. Veteran leadership who is hated by opposing teams, but loved by his teammates.

The pitching staff will round out and this team will compete next year. I would like them to re-sign raul ibanez. Need to have those bats off the bench. While ARod is out I'd like to see Ibanez/Nunez alternate at DH for righty/lefty matchups.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im not an AJ fan at all. never have been.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:51 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Next year go with...

With ARod, Tex and Cano, the team will not lack power hitters. Get some assets back for Granderson. It just makes sense....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
With ARod, Tex and Cano, the team will not lack power hitters. Get some assets back for Granderson. It just makes sense....
Those three combined for 73 HRs last year. Don't know if you'll get even 18 out of A-Rod this year. They lost Martin (21 HRs), they will lose Swisher (24 HRs). They added Youkilis (19 HRs). I don't see Granderson's 43 HRs as redundant. I wouldn't even if HRs could ever be redundant.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:17 PM
NYR Viper

HR's aren't redundant. I never stated that they were. The type of hitters the Yankees have are redundant. Big swingers who have lower BA.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
HR's aren't redundant. I never stated that they were. The type of hitters the Yankees have are redundant. Big swingers who have lower BA.
So I assume your plan includes acquiring a .300 hitter to replace Granderson with?

Old
12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
NYR Viper

Doesn't have to be .300 hitter. Just a different style of hitter.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Granderson had the 26th ranked OPS last year. I'll live with his flaws. We've lost a lot of homers from last year, and while we got more contact happy with Ichiro and Youk here full time, you still need to be able to turn the ball around, particularly in Y.S.

unless youre replacing him with hamilton, you're talking about going from a starting OF duo in Swisher and Granderson that had what...like 65ish homers to a duo in Gardner and say someone else who will combine for maybe 25? That's a SIGNIFICANT dropoff. He scores 100+ runs a year, he drives in 100+ runs a year, and he plays good D.

is he perfect? no.

i wouldnt trade him though. the grass always seems to be greener on the other side.

I want this team to be able to hit homers, to hit for contact to steal bases, etc. but you have to piece that together, youre NEVER going to find a complete team with players all capable of doing that...if you were, say hello to a 500 million dollar payroll.

Losing Granderson, Martin, and Swisher from this team without adding any significant power other than Youklis, and you'll see them drop from one of the best offensive teams in baseball to one of the more average teams.

Like I said. I'd go to war with what we have right here, right now. I love the addition of Youklis...he addresses on base needs. A-Rod being healthy, and a DH will help a lot. Ichiro gives us speed and another contact OBP guy. I love our dynamics next year as long as our pitching stays healthy.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yanks had the best team OBP last year in the AL with .337...Grandersons career OBP is .341

He's an asset who had a down year in terms of his OBP and K's...

Old
12-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
And what style of hitter would that be.

Quote:
Yanks had the best team OBP last year in the AL with .337...Grandersons career OBP is .341

He's an asset who had a down year in terms of his OBP and K's...
Who still has been top 10 in the AL in HRs, Walks and P/PA in the last 2 seasons.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I think losing homeruns is probably the best thing this team can do if they were losing homeruns and replacing them with good hitters.

They lost homeruns and so far have acquired a .230 hitter. That's a loss-loss. I'm gonna wait to see Youkilis before I throw him under the bus, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of change in our future.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:16 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Rant time:

Bo Jackson is easily one of the most overrated baseball players in history. He is known for one exhibition home run and hundreds of golden sombreros. I've seen better fielders and better athletes in baseball before him and after.

I'm sick of the "could have been the greatest" comments with Bo Jackson, at least in terms of baseball. he was a flawed power hitter, in the mold of Jay Buhner or Mark McGwire. He wasn't even a good base stealer compared to his peers at the time. Actually, McGwire was 10000 times a better hitter than Bo and more disciplined.

Why is a bumbling, no-talent idiot like Mike Greenberg providing analysis on Bo Jackson? Jeremy Schaap? Mike Greenberg? Oh, that's right. It's ESPN once again providing the viewer with the "best" analysis out there, as long as it's from within their own company. Anybody who actually studied the game of baseball like their life depended on it between 1989 and 1991 knew that Bo Jackson was just another face in the crowd in terms of baseball skills. But I love these modern-day "experts" who act like he was God's gift to baseball. Sorry, Junior. He wasn't.

Bo Jackson wasn't even the best or most valuable player on his baseball team.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Look. Bottom line is we need more contact hitters that arent HR or bust. We need small ball clutch.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:52 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Look. Bottom line is we need more contact hitters that arent HR or bust. We need small ball clutch.
Cashman will never do that.

The lineup is fine. Ichiro, Gardner and Jeter (and most likely Romine/Cervelli/Stewart) will all play small ball.

They have a balanced lineup on paper. The issue is health.

Jeter
Ichiro
Tex
Cano
Youk
Granderson
Nunez (DH)
Stewart/Romine/Cervelli
Gardner

Old
12-12-2012, 10:15 PM
darko

Good to see they are bringing back Ichiro.

Keep Granderson. I think 2012 was just a down year and not a sign of things to come (in the near future anyways).

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
We need small ball clutch.
Somewhere Billy Beane just exploded.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:36 PM
30theking

angels just keep spending money. now they get hamilton for 5 years $125 million. they now have trout, hamilton, and pujols in their lineup. wow.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30theking View Post
angels just keep spending money. now they get hamilton for 5 years $125 million. they now have trout, hamilton, and pujols in their lineup. wow.
WTF. That's just unfair, where's the money coming from?

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Meanwhile Cashman is assembling the world's greatest AARP lineup. Are canes or walkers in the contracts?

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/sta...32856046686208

Quote:
#Yankees still positive deal gets done with Ichiro, but resigned now it's going to take 2 yrs, in part because #Phillies offered 2-$14M.
Grrr. Play chicken with him. He wants to be a Yankee, let him prove just how much.

They'll play hardball with Jeter, but not with Ichiro and his 76 games as a Yankee.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:12 PM
17futurecap

I like Ichrio, but 2 years for him? They didn't want to do 2 years with 29 year old Russell Martin, but will do it for 39 year old Ichiro?

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...47915397419009

Quote:
ichiro, yankees deal will be for between $12-13M, still working on structure.
Guess they didn't heed my advice.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
As an admitted non-Yankee fan, I am a bit confused by what they're doing. I understand the preference for 1-year deals. I just don't know if the Yankees are better.

12-13-2012, 04:55 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
I like Ichrio, but 2 years for him? They didn't want to do 2 years with 29 year old Russell Martin, but will do it for 39 year old Ichiro?
He's missed 32 games in 12 seasons.

Ichiro is arguably the most durable player in baseball.