HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2012, 02:18 PM
  #76
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
When you criticize Kessel for being soft, its kind of ironic dont you think?

Were a franchise that takes a lot of heat for being soft.
And I'll never understand why.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
  #77
Bouncing Bettys
Registered User
 
Bouncing Bettys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
If Luongo is as valuable as Canuck fans say, they should be keeping him and trading Schneider instead. Few teams want that albatross of a contract of his. Luongo has taken the Canucks past Chicago and to game 7 of the finals. Game 7, and last season's early exit were not his fault. Though he is getting older, so too are the Canucks in front of him. The window for winning a cup opened and is slowly closing for the Canucks so why not go with the guy who has proven he can get you there. Gillis won't get the value for Luongo he could have received with a more reasonable contract so why give him up?

The real value, and its largely based on potential as he is still unproven, is in Schneider. His career could go in any direction at this point and there are teams right now willing to gamble on his potential. Gillis can get some good pieces to make a Cup winner and if you have the cup, it really doesn't matter if Schneider becomes a Vezina goalie or a flop.

Bouncing Bettys is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:22 PM
  #78
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
TOGuy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Who _wants_ to replace him? If goalies were of the mind set that they would willingly share the crease indefinitely, I'd keep Luongo without hesitation. I will repeat, I would not trade Luongo and run both goalies. So who's itching to get him out of town? Certainly not this Canucks fans.


No one here thought he would be moved until the playoffs, and even then people still thought Schneider would go.


Make no mistake, it's not nuck fans pushing him out the door, it's Leafs fans wanting to resolve their goaltending problems and the Canucks dealing a superfluous asset. _Want_ has nothing to do with it. If it did, I'd _want_ Bjugstad a hell of a lot more than most of the Leafs pieces being offered here.
The vast majority of threads or proposals that I have seen, are from Vancouver fans from what I have seen on here.

A lot of the Leaf fan responses have generally been "no thanks"

TOGuy14 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
  #79
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
And I'll never understand why.
Couldnt agree more.

Were not an intimidating team by any means, but there is sandpaper.

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
  #80
TheGreat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Roberto Luongo , dont want him any where near TO

TheGreat is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
  #81
TheGreat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
If Roberto Luongo cant win in van , what makes you think he can bring a Cup to TO. And another thing if he can't handle the pressure playing in Van ,then there's no way in hell Luongo is going to be able handle TO and its Media .

Can't until the lockouts over so this ******** ABOUT Luongo to T.O. can end . Van you guys keep Lu and we will keep our prospects. And don't even bring up we need Lu too keep kessel , Burke should have not made that deal in first place , so now are we going to keep letting that deal **** us over >>> , IF Burks bring Luu in here, Im done with HIM


Last edited by TheGreat: 12-12-2012 at 02:37 PM.
TheGreat is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
  #82
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Kadri, Biggs, Finn, Connolly?

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 02:51 PM
  #83
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreat View Post
If Roberto Luongo cant win in van , what makes you think he can bring a Cup to TO. And another thing if he can't handle the pressure playing in Van ,then there's no way in hell Luongo is going to be able handle TO and its Media .

Can't until the lockouts over so this ******** ABOUT Luongo to T.O. can end . Van you guys keep Lu and we will keep our prospects. And don't even bring up we need Lu too keep kessel , Burke should have not made that deal in first place , so now are we going to keep letting that deal **** us over >>> , IF Burks bring Luu in here, Im done with HIM
Cart before horse, I see. Nice strategy. Why try to win unless you win the cup, just keep on losing, thats a better option?

skywarp75 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:04 PM
  #84
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Kadri, Biggs, Finn, Connolly?
Nope, too much.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:06 PM
  #85
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
Cart before horse, I see. Nice strategy. Why try to win unless you win the cup, just keep on losing, thats a better option?
How many of you called Burke an idiot for dealing picks for Kessel? How would he not be deemed the same thing here?

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:07 PM
  #86
luongo321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keva Rosenberg View Post
If Luongo is as valuable as Canuck fans say, they should be keeping him and trading Schneider instead. Few teams want that albatross of a contract of his. Luongo has taken the Canucks past Chicago and to game 7 of the finals. Game 7, and last season's early exit were not his fault. Though he is getting older, so too are the Canucks in front of him. The window for winning a cup opened and is slowly closing for the Canucks so why not go with the guy who has proven he can get you there. Gillis won't get the value for Luongo he could have received with a more reasonable contract so why give him up?

The real value, and its largely based on potential as he is still unproven, is in Schneider. His career could go in any direction at this point and there are teams right now willing to gamble on his potential. Gillis can get some good pieces to make a Cup winner and if you have the cup, it really doesn't matter if Schneider becomes a Vezina goalie or a flop.

It is time for Lu to move on. Schneider is the real deal. Much more consistent than Lu. I hope he can keep it going for the entire season. More importantly, Lu has lost the trust of his teammates and coach. There was a reason why he was on such a short leash last playoffs. My opinion is that AV regrets starting Lu in some of those Finals games in Boston and last playoffs against the Kings was his chance to say 'nope, it's schneider's chance now. let's see what he's got in the playoffs.' There's also the fact that if he didn't give schneider a chance in the playoffs that he probably would be the one getting traded right now. Those 2 playoff games (plus his outstanding play for the last 2 seasons and incredible head on his shoulders) is the reason why Schneider is staying. Canucks teammates/coach just never know which Luongo is going to show up.

Although chicago plays outstanding against us, part of the reason is because Luongo is such a ****ing headcase against them. His fear and anxiety was transferred to our entire team. The players were nervous when he played against them. Played great in part 3 vs the hawks and then the floodgates open all of a sudden and he's acting like the chicago nightmare is back. After beating them I thought that would help him out, but then he went headcase against the Bruins too. Time for him to move on. If a team gets in his head (chicago/boston), it will be a roller coaster. If has a team's number he is lights out. There's a reason why schneider started in boston and against the hawks in some regular season games.

luongo321 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
  #87
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
It is time for Lu to move on. Schneider is the real deal. Much more consistent than Lu. I hope he can keep it going for the entire season. More importantly, Lu has lost the trust of his teammates and coach. There was a reason why he was on such a short leash last playoffs. My opinion is that AV regrets starting Lu in some of those Finals games in Boston and last playoffs against the Kings was his chance to say 'nope, it's schneider's chance now. let's see what he's got in the playoffs.' There's also the fact that if he didn't give schneider a chance in the playoffs that he probably would be the one getting traded right now. Those 2 playoff games (plus his outstanding play for the last 2 seasons and incredible head on his shoulders) is the reason why Schneider is staying. Canucks teammates/coach just never know which Luongo is going to show up.

Although chicago plays outstanding against us, part of the reason is because Luongo is such a ****ing headcase against them. His fear and anxiety was transferred to our entire team. The players were nervous when he played against them. Played great in part 3 vs the hawks and then the floodgates open all of a sudden and he's acting like the chicago nightmare is back. After beating them I thought that would help him out, but then he went headcase against the Bruins too. Time for him to move on. If a team gets in his head (chicago/boston), it will be a roller coaster. If has a team's number he is lights out. There's a reason why schneider started in boston and against the hawks in some regular season games.
That should come in handy as Boston is in our division.

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:21 PM
  #88
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,778
vCash: 500
I say we should take the high road if no one is willing to offer us enough to make it worthwhile to move a goalie.

Have both goalies, and if a team like Tampa Bay or Washington or Chicago or anyone really want's an upgrade in net before making a cup run, they'd have to pay a pretty penny for either Luongo or Schneider in futures.(Conolly/Forsberg/Saad as base pieces). Otherwise we bite the bullet next offseason and make some firesales in order to retool.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:30 PM
  #89
luongo321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
That should come in handy as Boston is in our division.
That's true, but it also has to do with the pressure of being in A stanley cup finals game. It will be good for him to play them a lot in the regular season to calm him down. Plus, not like your team can possibly do any worse against the bruins. A lot of that bruins series also had to do with the fact that our D was a gongshow. Once Hammer was out, we were done. That is probably the biggest reason why we don't have a cup right now. Kes playing on one leg didn't help either. If healthy, he would have willed us to victory. We would have had a much better chance at hanging on in that series him there. He holds our D together.

luongo321 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:33 PM
  #90
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
That's true, but it also has to do with the pressure of being in A stanley cup finals game. It will be good for him to play them a lot in the regular season to calm him down. Plus, not like yuor team can possibly do any worse against the bruins.
Can't argue that.

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
  #91
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
That's true, but it also has to do with the pressure of being in A stanley cup finals game. It will be good for him to play them a lot in the regular season to calm him down. Plus, not like yuor team can possibly do any worse against the bruins.
Season stats, Boston scored 36 times to Toronto's 10 in just six games.

So yeah, I think they could. Toronto has this weird habit of either dominating or failing, hard.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 04:43 PM
  #92
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
How many of you called Burke an idiot for dealing picks for Kessel? How would he not be deemed the same thing here?
Because Toronto is finally in a position to actually start competing. There comes a time where you just need to bite the bullet and make the necessary moves to actually get to the playoffs and make yourself a desirable location for the free agents. Luongo is that.

You guys could get Jon Quick in net and it wont win you a cup, there is still work to be done. right now Toronto has the offensive firepower to be a threat, but it needs to keep pucks out of the net as well. Easiest way to do that is to get Luongo. Yes, it will cost you, and not a single one of us is actually saying that with Lu you'll win a cup. but somehow Burke has put together sufficient enough pieces to actually make this team competitive and i'm sure it felt like it was pulling teeth at some point...but here you have this gift wrapped chance, this opportunity to truly make your team better and go further then you have for a long long time.

Don't you want that?

Luongo is a ****ing rock star when he faces a ton of shots. His days in Vancouver shown that. the games where he faced fifty shots he was fantastic. He suits the play style of the Toronto Maple Leafs, which right now is offense minded. I'm sure Carlyle will crack down on the D and get them playing a more responsible game as well which will only help this team progress.

The Leafs are really only a couple pieces away from being a dominant team, and unfortunately one of those pieces is a goalie.

Why not pay the price to get the best goalie a available?

sully1410 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:06 PM
  #93
Raven25
Registered User
 
Raven25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New West
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Nope, too much.
Bob MacKenzie stated clearly that the only way he could see Luongo getting moved was in a 'soft deal' and Canucks fans are still convinced Gillis is going to get multiple first-round pick players and / or first-round picks for Luongo. Don't get it, not saying Luongo isn't attractive but NEITHER Toronto Florida or any other team is going to give up anything significant to acquire him. Plain as day to NHL prognosticators and insiders but apparently not to armchair GMs here

Gillis was on TV a while back at a golf event saying he was fielding calls almost daily about Luongo and my friend and I both looked at each other and said the equivalent of 'doubt that' to each other. Maybe he is, but you can be sure the GM on the other end knows he's in the driver's seat

Raven25 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:13 PM
  #94
CanuckLuck
Registered User
 
CanuckLuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Tell us more, old and wise raven. just in case we needed to hear that yet again...

CanuckLuck is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
  #95
Raven25
Registered User
 
Raven25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New West
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Tell us more, old and wise raven. just in case we needed to hear that yet again...
I'll admit I didn't read through the thread but when you see a proposal with Kadri (high 1st) Biggs (1st) Percy (1st) and then a high 2nd rounder (Finn) I'm really not seeing where people are coming from given the obvious facts with a player that everyone knows Gillis WANTS to move and you have nhl pro analysts saying it's going to HAVE TO be a soft deal. Soft deals are along the lines of late round picks, add a depth player or prospect that one GM sees a need for and the other can afford to part with and maybe some conditional stuff after. Soft deals don't include even 1 first round pick.

Didn't intend to present a redundant perspective on this just contributing to the talk

Raven25 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
  #96
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
Bob MacKenzie stated clearly that the only way he could see Luongo getting moved was in a 'soft deal' and Canucks fans are still convinced Gillis is going to get multiple first-round pick players and / or first-round picks for Luongo. Don't get it, not saying Luongo isn't attractive but NEITHER Toronto Florida or any other team is going to give up anything significant to acquire him. Plain as day to NHL prognosticators and insiders but apparently not to armchair GMs here

Gillis was on TV a while back at a golf event saying he was fielding calls almost daily about Luongo and my friend and I both looked at each other and said the equivalent of 'doubt that' to each other. Maybe he is, but you can be sure the GM on the other end knows he's in the driver's seat
Gillis says what he means, does what he says, and sticks to it. This isnt Burke, who uses the media to spread confusion and pump his own ego.

skywarp75 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
  #97
Raven25
Registered User
 
Raven25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New West
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
Gillis says what he means, does what he says, and sticks to it. This isnt Burke, who uses the media to spread confusion and pump his own ego.
Sure to your first sentence and no argument from this Leafs fan on the second one too but not sure what either has to do with what I said.

Raven25 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:28 PM
  #98
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
Sure to your first sentence and no argument from this Leafs fan on the second one either but not sure what either has to do with what I said.
oh sorry, the part where you doubt he gets calls about luongo. but i have no doubt its just GM's looking for a soft deal, as is speculated by guys like mckenzie. im just saying that Gillis would wait for something he really wants, instead of just dumping the asset.

skywarp75 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
  #99
CanuckLuck
Registered User
 
CanuckLuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
I'll admit I didn't read through the thread but when you see a proposal with Kadri (high 1st) Biggs (1st) Percy (1st) and then a high 2nd rounder (Finn) I'm really not seeing where people are coming from given the obvious facts with a player that everyone knows Gillis WANTS to move and you have nhl pro analysts saying it's going to HAVE TO be a soft deal. Soft deals are along the lines of late round picks, add a depth player or prospect that one GM sees a need for and the other can afford to part with and maybe some conditional stuff after. Soft deals don't include even 1 first round pick.

Didn't intend to present a redundant perspective on this just contributing to the talk

A soft deal for Crosby still includes a handful of wonderful pieces in return. All Mackenzie was saying is that because of Luongo's contract and age he won't fetch the usual return of an elite #1 goaltender-But what is that anyways?

There is a miniscule amount of Canucks fans that believe Luongo will return multiple 1st rounders or top end prospects. Most reasonable fans understand his value is hampered; but we also understand Gillis won't throw away Luongo for tweeners and C-level prospects. Which by the way, has been just as common an occurance in this thread.

CanuckLuck is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
  #100
Raven25
Registered User
 
Raven25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New West
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
oh sorry, the part where you doubt he gets calls about luongo. but i have no doubt its just GM's looking for a soft deal, as is speculated by guys like mckenzie. im just saying that Gillis would wait for something he really wants, instead of just dumping the asset.
Gotcha then agreed that's likely what's going to be the case if there is a season, Gillis is going to have to wait it out

Raven25 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.