HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I'd think the USA is still the country where he spent the most amount of time, isn't it?
Yes. IIRC he spent the most time in the States. He's had stays in Italy, Switzerland, Russia and now Canada. I think there's even another country, or two he's lived in.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I'd think the USA is still the country where he spent the most amount of time, isn't it?
Um......nope

He left the U.S. at the age of 4 and returned when he was 15.........simple math.

Let's not forget that he has also spent the last 3 seasons playing in Canada. The fact is that he has spent very little of his life that he can actually remember in the States.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:52 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Um......nope

He left the U.S. at the age of 4 and returned when he was 15.........simple math.

Let's not forget that he has also spent the last 3 seasons playing in Canada. The fact is that he has spent very little of his life that he can actually remember in the States.
I hate to break it to you man, but the world's countries aren't broken up between: "USA" and "Rest of the world"

Old
12-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I hate to break it to you man, but the world's countries aren't broken up between: "USA" and "Rest of the world"
Thanks Captain Obvious......I am not American and am aware of other countries. I was pointing out that he has spent most of his life on another continent and learned how to play hockey in Russia.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:02 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Thanks Captain Obvious......I am not American and am aware of other countries. I was pointing out that he has spent most of his life on another continent and learned how to play hockey in Russia.
But that wasn't my question. My question was: USA is still the country in which he spent the most of his life?

If he shuffled a lot around Europe, then it might be true. It's just that he didn't spent THAT long in any single country.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Moneyman2k6

Hey guys look what i find! did you guys remember the Biosteel Tournament back in August and they broadcasted the games live? Galchenyuk was playing on Team Cammalleri and i remember that he scores a beauty where he almost dekes into all the opposite team! Well, guess what they finally upload the videos of the games on their website Drinkthepink.com

At the first game vs Team Seguin, he wasnt on his game

At the second, vs team Stamkos, he score a goal from a nice play of anthony stewart i guess making the game tie at 3-3. i think its at 1:04:00 of the video
then he shows his shooting skill with a hard shot on the post...

At the last game vs Team Weiss, this is where he score the nice goal! At 2:18:00 of the video i guess.
Enjoy
http://www.drinkthepink.com/

Last edited by Moneyman2k6: 12-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 02:02 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyman2k6 View Post
Hey guys look what i find! did you guys remember the Biosteel Tournament back in August and they broadcasted the games live? Galchenyuk was playing on Team Cammalleri and i remember that he scores a beauty where he almost dekes into all the opposite team! Well, guess what they finally upload the videos of the games on their website Drinkthepink.com

At the second, vs team Stamkos, he score a goal from a nice play of anthony stewart i guess making the game tie at 3-3. i think its at 1:04:00 of the video

At the last game vs Team Weiss, this is where he score the nice goal! At 2:18:00 of the video i guess.
Enjoy

How could he..? I mean, it's impossible! There was no room to even skate there...!

Old
12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyman2k6 View Post

Enjoy
Sick... just sick.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Moneyman2k6

Quote:

How could he..? I mean, it's impossible! There was no room to even skate there...!
Yeahh i was like and the best thing is that they were not junior player, they were nhl ones!

i know it wasnt like a nhl game but still

Old
12-12-2012, 02:55 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyman2k6 View Post
yeahh i was like And the best thing is that they were not junior player, they were nhl ones!

I know it wasnt like a nhl game but still
he had no angle!!!

Old
12-12-2012, 03:06 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Article in french about Alex from Mathias Brunet

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...st-il-pret.php
Good read. Thank you.

L'agent de Galchenyuk, le légendaire Igor Larionov, a souvent comparé son poulain à Marian Hossa. Notre deuxième recruteur n'est pas vraiment du même avis.

«Je ne comprends pas les comparaisons avec Marian Hossa. Je ne vois pas de similarités entre les deux. Galchenyuk a plus d'énergie, il est plus engagé dans le jeu que Hossa. Je serais tenté de comparer le style de Galchenyuk à celui de Jonathan Toews, mais j'hésite parce que Toews est un joueur d'exception, ce que n'a pas encore prouvé Galchenyuk.»

Old
12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Good read. Thank you.

L'agent de Galchenyuk, le légendaire Igor Larionov, a souvent comparé son poulain à Marian Hossa. Notre deuxième recruteur n'est pas vraiment du même avis.

«Je ne comprends pas les comparaisons avec Marian Hossa. Je ne vois pas de similarités entre les deux. Galchenyuk a plus d'énergie, il est plus engagé dans le jeu que Hossa. Je serais tenté de comparer le style de Galchenyuk à celui de Jonathan Toews, mais j'hésite parce que Toews est un joueur d'exception, ce que n'a pas encore prouvé Galchenyuk.»
Gally isn't as involved physically in the play as toews. No where close.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Eh even though the article rejected it, I still think the Hossa comparison fits best.

People have compared him to Hossa, Toews, Kovalev, Malkin...and honestly you can see bits of all those players' games in Galchenyuk (no guarantee he'll be as good as any of them, but it's a nice start).

Old
12-12-2012, 03:52 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

As another poster mentioned, a young Ron Francis is the best comparison I've seen so far...

Old
12-12-2012, 04:14 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
As another poster mentioned, a young Ron Francis is the best comparison I've seen so far...
Imo that may be the worst one so far. Very different game compared to Francis, in my eyes. I still like Malkin the best, with bits of Hossa (the way he keeps his stick tight to his body) and maybe a bit of the stick checking of Toews on the forecheck. He's really good at takeaways.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Imo that may be the worst one so far. Very different game compared to Francis, in my eyes. I still like Malkin the best, with bits of Hossa (the way he keeps his stick tight to his body) and maybe a bit of the stick checking of Toews on the forecheck. He's really good at takeaways.

Those could just as easily be Gally highlights. Same build, same stride, similar puck skills...

Old
12-12-2012, 05:38 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

Those could just as easily be Gally highlights. Same build, same stride, similar puck skills...
Ok, I will give it to you, there are definitely some similarities there.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:00 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
I can see that as well, but I can also see him being spectacular at the NHL level already. That's the reason you bring him up, he's already passed the "OHL test" with flying colors, there's absolutely no reason to hold him back from the real test. If he doesn't convince you that he is ready to play in the NHL during camp, then you don't force it. That simple.

You plan for the 2013 draft near the end of next year. You don't plan on being bad at the beginning of the season. Especially not with some of the pieces we have at our luxury(Price, Markov, Subban). There are no guarantees on where we will pick at the draft with or without Gally. If you feel he makes your team better and that it's better for his development to be at the pro level, then you do it. No doubt about it. Things like burning a year of ELC, and draft position take a back seat to those two realities.

I'm not hearing that. We're missing some top-end talent to play with Pleky and a physical, gritty playoff Dman. Gally IS that top-end talent we are missing, you have got to give him the chance to prove it, that's why you drafted him at #3.

Well that's your opinion. I won't say much about Collberg other than I trust in Timmons, but Hudon is probably my favorite prospect outside of Gally. Real special player we have there.
I definitely share your optimism, Hanky. A lot of people, and with good reason, are curbing their enthusiasm but I think the 2012 draft we'll be a huge factor in the turning around of this franchise.

I don't get why people don't think Galchenyuk won't greatly improve this team. With out Galchenyuk, we're at worst a playoff bubble team and at best a team on the fringes of being in the top ten of the league.

People who think that we're locks for a top 5 pick, if there's a season, are going to be pretty disappointed even if Galchenyuk doesn't play. Last year was an anomaly due to crazy injuries and inexperienced D.

I'd love for us to play a fake year and get a top 5 pick but honestly our chances are better with the lottery ball.

Next year at this time Galchenyuk will be an impactful NHLer and Hamilton will be so well stocked that injuries will no longer be an issue and it should stay that way for at least 5 years. Next year we flirt with contenderdom. Book it.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Moar high end prospects please

Old
12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Takashi

Does Gally have 52 or 53 pts? bcuz in the OHL website http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/ it's 53

Old
12-12-2012, 06:13 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
I definitely share your optimism, Hanky. A lot of people, and with good reason, are curbing their enthusiasm but I think the 2012 draft we'll be a huge factor in the turning around of this franchise.

I don't get why people don't think Galchenyuk won't greatly improve this team. With out Galchenyuk, we're at worst a playoff bubble team and at best a team on the fringes of being in the top ten of the league.

People who think that we're locks for a top 5 pick, if there's a season, are going to be pretty disappointed even if Galchenyuk doesn't play. Last year was an anomaly due to crazy injuries and inexperienced D.

I'd love for us to play a fake year and get a top 5 pick but honestly our chances are better with the lottery ball.

Next year at this time Galchenyuk will be an impactful NHLer and Hamilton will be so well stocked that injuries will no longer be an issue and it should stay that way for at least 5 years. Next year we flirt with contenderdom. Book it.
There were no freak injuries last year, it was a comparable amount of injuries to what we suffer every single year except for 2007-08. I'll note that we had no injuries to our number 1 goalie (Price), no injuries to our 1st defensive pairing (Subban+Gorges), no injuries to our two best wingers (Cole, Pacioretty), and no injuries to our best forward and center (Plekanec), or any of our centers actually.

The second factor is that the roster we ended the year with is weaker than the roster we started the year with. We lost Hal Gill, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Michael Cammalleri, and replaced them with Francis Bouillon, Rene Bourque and Brandon Prust. Unlike last year, we wouldn't benefit from a 12th place team in the first 30 or 40 games racking up a safety margin over 15th place. We'd go straight to that 15th place.

The third factor is that the division got stronger. Boston will be about the same, but Ottawa, Toronto, and Buffalo should all improve. Buffalo is adding Cody Hodgson and John Scott (no more Lucic running into Miller), Toronto is rumored to be adding Roberto Luongo, and Ottawa is a young, good team.

The 2012 draft will help this team, but not in the 2012-2013 season, and probably not in the 2013-2014 season.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:13 PM
That

Not sure it's already been mentioned, but they finally gave Galchenyuk an assist on that Boucher goal in the Peterborough game at the beginning of the month. He deserved an assist as he cleared the puck, but it never hit anything except for Sarault's stick at the other end of the ice.

Boxscore

First career 5 point game for Galchenyuk! Finally awarded 12 days after it actually happened.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Gally isn't as involved physically in the play as toews. No where close.
I don't think that is necessarily true. Toews rarely throws a bodycheck but uses his frame to protect the puck and nudge opponents off of the puck. Like Galchenyuk, he goes to the dirty areas and uses his strength to his advantage but does not play an aggressive physical game.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
There were no freak injuries last year, it was a comparable amount of injuries to what we suffer every single year except for 2007-08. I'll note that we had no injuries to our number 1 goalie (Price), no injuries to our 1st defensive pairing (Subban+Gorges), no injuries to our two best wingers (Cole, Pacioretty), and no injuries to our best forward and center (Plekanec), or any of our centers actually.

The second factor is that the roster we ended the year with is weaker than the roster we started the year with. We lost Hal Gill, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Michael Cammalleri, and replaced them with Francis Bouillon, Rene Bourque and Brandon Prust. Unlike last year, we wouldn't benefit from a 12th place team in the first 30 or 40 games racking up a safety margin over 15th place. We'd go straight to that 15th place.

The third factor is that the division got stronger. Boston will be about the same, but Ottawa, Toronto, and Buffalo should all improve. Buffalo is adding Cody Hodgson and John Scott (no more Lucic running into Miller), Toronto is rumored to be adding Roberto Luongo, and Ottawa is a young, good team.

The 2012 draft will help this team, but not in the 2012-2013 season, and probably not in the 2013-2014 season.
Buffalo added a low impact center in Hodgson who really hasn't done done more than support scoring in the NHL in his career but lost their best all round center in Derek Roy for Ott. Center was already their weakest position. They should be worse next year rather than better. Seriously, Cody Hogdson is nowhere near good enough a player to significantly shift a team's baseline of talent.

Otherwise, Ottawa probably overperformed some, I don't think Karlsson and Spezza can dominate like that every year but they do have a good overall team albeit with few players in their prime. And the Leafs getting a competent goaltender is only a problem when it actually happens.

Overall I don't think the balance of power in the NE really changed any. There's no Minnesota or Carolina that added two high impact players or anything. Luongo could change that a bit though but the Leafs are a shockingly weak team overall, not just in net. After Phaneuf and Grabrovski their number of players that can play both sides of the puck is very thin. Add a top 10 goalie and they are still hit and miss to make the playoffs. -32 outside of the shootout last year with a pretty healthy lineup and career years from their top scorers. Luongo probably only gets them half way to league average from that far down.

However, you're right that Montreal's paper strength right now is far worse than it was in 11-12.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

You are completely ignoring all of the potential positive improvements that can take place with this team. How will we ever replace the production from Cammalleri and Kostitsyn......considering they were both brutal last year I think it is more than reasonable to assume that Gionta and Bourque can surpass their measly production. You mention Subban and Gorges as our 1st pairing while conveniently leaving out the possibility that Markov could have been in that equation if he was healthy.

There is also the natural progression of youth such as Subban, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, Emelin, Diaz and Price. Each one of these players are very capable of improving on their 2011-12 season. Let's also not dismiss the fact that there will be a change of attitude on the team with a new coaching staff and the addition of heart and soul players such as Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon.

It is likely that the team will improve to some extent but that has yet to be quantified. To ignore all of these factors for the sake of supporting a weak arguement was very transparent. It would be much more palatable for myself and others if you discussed this without displaying such a bias and clear agenda.

Closed Thread