HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

St. Louis vs NYR SCF matchup-who wins?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:39 AM
smoneil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Kreider would easily replace Mr. Ten Goal Dubinsky. 5 goals in 18 games. I'll round to 5 in 20. That means Kreider would score 20+ goals in an 82-game season. Remember, he had 2 pts less than Stepan while playing much less.
I'm hoping that Kreider pans out as much as anyone (probably the first Rangers F prospect I've been excited about since Cherepanov). But it was only 18 games. That same kid only has 4 goals in 22 AHL games so far this season. Team brass has also already said that, barring improvement, if the season started tomorrow, Kreider would likely stay in the AHL. I'm really excited about Kreider, but he's got a LONG way to go before he "more than replaces" Brandon Dubinsky, even with Dubi's off year last season.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:40 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

not the fans, that would be incredibly boring hockey and bad for the NHL

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I'm really looking like a closet Rangers fan here with defending Lundqvist, but I'll be honest I'd have to say the Rangers take it. Though probably in 7 games more likely than not. I watch a lot of both teams. I see it being a low scoring series too.

Only if Halak plays though. If Elliott plays I don't see St Louis lasting long. With Halak they could go 7 games, and with a few OT games even. Pretty sure Halak is a given to play as long as he's healthy. I think with a shortened season with the Rangers getting rest from the long playoff run this is a possible matchup.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:47 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
NJD went 2-0-0 against LAK.

The devils lost to an 8th seed.

[/B]

I think they need to get more points then TML, NYI, WIN, and ANH.
I'm talking, of course, about the one previously mentioned that went to the ECF in 2010. That team would still have beaten anyone in the East this most recent playoff. Specifically my point is that I feel the Blues would probably beat that Rangers team.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
And I'm sure this nonsense would come up if this series took place and you know what I'll say?

"I can't really hear what you say cause I have my Eastern Conference Championship plug in my ear"

Can't wait.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Wiems35*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Get over yourself.

Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Just like LA and NJ was bad for hockey and boring?

Bull.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post

Bull.
Well, it was certainly boring. Hard to judge if it was bad for hockey or not given we haven't had a season.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Well, it was certainly boring. Hard to judge if it was bad for hockey or not given we haven't had a season.
So would you prefer it to be a 12-10 shootout every game? That series was not boring at all. That was the way two hockey teams should play.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
As an LA fan, I would say that St. Louis' getting swept by LA shouldn't be held against them in a matchup against NYR. Against NJD or BB, ok sure. STL had a very impressive series win against SJS, which to me is a more similar team compared to NYR than LAK is to NYR.

Also, STL is more about team defense and offense rather than any single player's ability...per Hitchcock. Comparing Halak to Lundy is irrelevant to me because you're not facing Halak, you're facing that team D in front of Halak.

The reason why LA had such success was because our forecheck broke down their team D and also the team was distracted by the hit and injury to Pieterangelo, plus the absence of him on their special teams.
Not to mention the fact Pietrangelo was playing on one leg when he came back. Not making excuses, because we got absolutely whooped at our own game. But if Pietrangelo doesn't get hurt I doubt we get swept.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
So would you prefer it to be a 12-10 shootout every game? That series was not boring at all. That was the way two hockey teams should play.
No. You're not the first person to be guilty of this false dichotomy, but I'm tired of hearing it.

Just because I didn't like the boring, slow-moving trash that was put on the ice for most of last year's playoffs and the second half of the season doesn't mean I want 50% of shots to go in and final scores to resemble those of the NBA.

I just want a game with a reasonable amount of scoring chances, some genuine flow, some actual excitement because a 1-goal lead isn't a death sentence for the team that's losing, and some hitting. Last year's pathetic hockey for the most part only offered the hitting.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:33 PM
srsly989

I still don't see whats so boring about the Rangers. I'm probably being a homer but I don't see anything boring about the way they play.

Maybe the people saying this just hate the team and find excuses to hate them?

srsly989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly989 View Post
I still don't see whats so boring about the Rangers. I'm probably being a homer but I don't see anything boring about the way they play.
They play a style conducive to an utter lack of scoring chances for both teams.

Now, a disclaimer. I am not rebuking New York or any other team that plays a similar style. Obviously such systems are successful these days - that's why St. Louis, NY, etc. did so well last season. More power to them, purely in the success aspect.

But I am a fan of the NHL, not a fan of those teams (for that reason, I can understand why you or a Blues fan would disagree with me - all I'm doing here is stating my own opinion, not telling you what you guys should think).
Hockey as a whole was less entertaining in my eyes last season. My team (Chicago) was good, so that argument isn't there. The style that evidenced itself as the "new hot thing" during the second half of the year and in the playoffs is simply dull to watch - to me, anyway. It reminds me of what hockey looked like before the lockout, where scoring chances were few and far between, goalies looked absurdly good (i.e. if they can see the player's shot at all, it sure as hell isn't going in unless the guy's shooting from five feet away), seemingly half the game was spent in the neutral zone or retrieving dump-ins, clutching and grabbing being let go, etc. On the specific topic of the clutch&grab, it's not as bad as it was before the lockout, obviously. But it's making a reappearance in the game for sure... although the most egregious return of something that by the rulebook is supposed to be illegal has been interference. Guys are getting almost mauled all over the ice while trying to retrieve the puck. Who wants to watch that? Like anyone, I love a fair share of corner work, hitting, grinding puck retrieval, all that. I'm a hockey fan, I better like that stuff.
But in moderation. I don't want to watch a game when 45 minutes of it is spent dinking around accomplishing nothing on offense, throwing perimeter shots with no chance of going in toward the net, seemingly thousands of blocked shots... etc.
I'm not asking for an inordinate amount of scoring chances, I'm just asking for a fair share. Such was simply not the case last year, and it became glaringly obvious around December or January when the game really began to slow down.

Just saw your edit. No, I don't hate the Rangers, and unlike most Hawk fans I don't really dislike St. Louis all that much either.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post

Bull.
Well, to be fair we can say with 100% certainty that when LA and New Jersey face each other in the Stanley Cup Finals the NHL locks the players out the following season...and I believe locking out the players is bad for hockey.

So...he does have a point.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Well, to be fair we can say with 100% certainty that when LA and New Jersey face each other in the Stanley Cup Finals the NHL locks the players out the following season...and I believe locking out the players is bad for hockey.

So...he does have a point.
This made me laugh a bit bitterly since I am as derisive of this lockout as anyone, but this isn't my point at all.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 12-12-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: forgot "as"
Old
12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
CanuckLuck

series would be boring as hell but i'll give the edge to the Rangers.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
TrueGrit

0-0 tie.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
No. You're not the first person to be guilty of this false dichotomy, but I'm tired of hearing it.

Just because I didn't like the boring, slow-moving trash that was put on the ice for most of last year's playoffs and the second half of the season doesn't mean I want 50% of shots to go in and final scores to resemble those of the NBA.

I just want a game with a reasonable amount of scoring chances, some genuine flow, some actual excitement because a 1-goal lead isn't a death sentence for the team that's losing, and some hitting. Last year's pathetic hockey for the most part only offered the hitting.
I'm tired of hearing about the Blues boring style. Why don't you actually try watching a game, maybe a game against a team that plays pretty much the same style. Minnesota for example.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I'm tired of hearing about the Blues boring style. Why don't you actually try watching a game, maybe a game against a team that plays pretty much the same style. Minnesota for example.
We haven't played the trap since Lemaire resigned and we started missing the playoffs. We still use a defensive system, yes, but not the trap anymore.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I would be rooting for the Blues but fully expect the Rangers to win: much more talent and experience.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:40 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
We haven't played the trap since Lemaire resigned and we started missing the playoffs. We still use a defensive system, yes, but not the trap anymore.
No, I think you misunderstood my post. I think St. Louis and teams like Minnesota get unfairly criticized for playing a boring style, when in fact, they don't. I was just saying watch a game between '2 boring teams' and you'll see how exciting a game between these two can be.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:41 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.
then you must hate watching the rangers play then

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:57 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

still 0-0 after 9123 OTs

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
still 0-0 after 9123 OTs
Then Gaborik would end it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9
No, I think you misunderstood my post. I think St. Louis and teams like Minnesota get unfairly criticized for playing a boring style, when in fact, they don't. I was just saying watch a game between '2 boring teams' and you'll see how exciting a game between these two can be.
Oh okay, I get what you're saying now.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote