HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brian Savage happy to join HF Boards

Old
11-09-2012, 07:58 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
seriously guys, jokes aside, lets interact with Brian in a normal natural way... these interview questions are getting repetitive on top of it!

read through the thread - most likely your questions or similar ones have already been asked!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:13 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Is swimming used at all to train for hockey? I'm guessing no but I ask only because it is being used to train for other sports because of its overall body workout, breathing control and of course its easy on the joints.

I realize water is being used more and more for hydrotherapy but I was wondering about the training part of it. I've noticed more and more that athetic programs are installing swimming pools as part of their training facilities.

Thanks for your time Brian!

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:12 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
Agreed. It was cool at first but now its getting a bit pathetic lol
Especially when people ask questions that were already answered... Take an hour of your day guys and read the whole damn thread before posting questions.

Welcome #49

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by savey49 View Post
1) I quit hockey when I was 16 and 17 years old. I never skated for 2 years as I was concentrating on getting a golf scholarship in the USA. I got back in hockey when I was 18 and played high school hockey. When I was 19 I played for the Sudbury Cubs Tier 2 team and some told Miami of Ohio they should come see a kid from Sudbury. That was in January and they offer me a scholarship after watching me for 2 games.

2) It was the lockout shortened season. Only 48 game schedule. I got hurt and missed 11 games do to a knee injury. I know I played with Turner Stevenson a lot that year but I believe we had lots of left wings come and go. Jacque Demers was an awesome coach. Learned a lot on how to be a professional!!

3) I got drafted after my 1st season at Miami. I didn't attend the draft. Just happy to get draft and excited it was for Montreal. That summer I went to hockey in Minny for 8 weeks and that was the turning point in my career. I had a great 2nd year at Miami. Next summer did the same 8 weeks in Minny. My last year I was MVP of CAHA and our team won the league title. I left right after hockey to join Team Canada for the World Championship in Germany with the NHL players in 1993. Signed with Montreal that summer!!! Interesting way to get to the NHL that is why I always say if you are good enough, be committed and pay the price, they will find you!!
If you would of asked me when I was 18-19 or younger what sport I would of wanted to play professionally if I had the choice it would of been Hockey or Baseball for sure. But now if I had the choice it would be golf, travel from town to town and play some amazing golf courses would be the life. Im sure the stress to perform is a little harder in golf as you have no one else to lean on. You must be close to a scratch handicap or better? What was your favorite track in Montreal or surrounding? I play Islesmere and Fontainebleau quite often during the summer, Im sure you've played Islesmere as Ive seen many former Habs around the course.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

clublink member? my buddy plays those courses a lot. he ran into Nilan at fontaine so far, but he's not a hockey fan so he probably wouldn't know if i ran into more.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Nice to see you on the boards, Brian! I hope you continue to check in from time to time, because it adds a whole new dimension to get opinions from a former nhl player's perspective.

Its a bonus to have a player from my childhood to interact with, because that's the time where players really seem larger than life.

I'm sure the vast majority of us will value your opinion on hockey matters, so I hope you enjoy it here!

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:00 AM
BubbleGumPlant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
I hope you're going to join other discussions instead of only answering questions in this topic.

welcome aboard.

Second that.

BubbleGumPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Halifaxhab

As a native of Sudbury, I was very excited to see Brian in a Habs uniform.

Halifaxhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Cool! Brian was my favorite player from the dark days of the Houle-brunet-linden-dykhuis era.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:01 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Cool! Brian was my favorite player from the dark days of the Houle-brunet-linden-dykhuis era.
Brian was with the habs during some tough times...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:32 PM
walsy37

Aftre last week's debacle - I am hoping that Brian is still checking this thread and can answer the following question. We here in Montreal have seen first hand the outcome of Donald Fehr's leadership. I am wondering 2 things. When do things get put to a vote to full membership, when Donald and the negotiating committee feel like it (It is my personal belief, based on nothing, that had the owners last offer been put to a vote it would have passed but of course it never got that far)? Also, if a player starts to feel that leadership is better representing the top 15% of the league than the bottom 85%, what can be done?

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Go Habs Go

Welcome to HF Mr. Savage!

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Alfie Turcotte

Welcome to HF Brian !

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Riddum

Brian comes across as a really laid back dude. There should be a "Nice guy Brian" meme.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by savey49 View Post
I was never scared to play anyone but these guys you always had to know that they were on the ice.
1. Scott Stevens- Best open ice hitter in my time
2. Kasperatis- Hit you whenever he could- took me out many times
3. Rob Blake- Best flying ass in the league
4. Legion of doom- Lindros, Leclaear and Renberg in Philly- scary line
5. Chara- Strongest and biggest player I played against
This line made me spit my Cheerios. Nice turn of phrase.

I'd guess plenty of players -- past and current -- browse these boards, hoping to be an invisible fly on the wall and see what people are saying about them behind their backs. At least you have the writing chops to play this game.

But after 14 pages of kiss-ass questions about your life, it looks like you've backed yourself into a corner on this board. You're obviously a decent writer with a first-hand perspective on the game, but you've fallen into the passive role of doing an incremental, slow-motion interview. If that's all you wanted -- to politely answer questions about your career -- then sincere thanks and mission accomplished. But if you want to talk current hockey, compare opinions, discuss strategies, then start mixing it up. If you are interested in participating and not just doing a Q&A, time to ask some questions of your own. There are plenty of guys like me who are older than you, with decades of perspective on the sport, just like there are some guys in their 20s with some brilliant insights.

This board has similar rules to hockey -- you know you've arrived when somebody calls you out. Now get out there, rookie, and knock some syntax into 'em!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:53 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
This line made me spit my Cheerios. Nice turn of phrase.

I'd guess plenty of players -- past and current -- browse these boards, hoping to be an invisible fly on the wall and see what people are saying about them behind their backs. At least you have the writing chops to play this game.

But after 14 pages of kiss-ass questions about your life, it looks like you've backed yourself into a corner on this board. You're obviously a decent writer with a first-hand perspective on the game, but you've fallen into the passive role of doing an incremental, slow-motion interview. If that's all you wanted -- to politely answer questions about your career -- then sincere thanks and mission accomplished. But if you want to talk current hockey, compare opinions, discuss strategies, then start mixing it up. If you are interested in participating and not just doing a Q&A, time to ask some questions of your own. There are plenty of guys like me who are older than you, with decades of perspective on the sport, just like there are some guys in their 20s with some brilliant insights.

This board has similar rules to hockey -- you know you've arrived when somebody calls you out. Now get out there, rookie, and knock some syntax into 'em!
He could possibly be back once the hockey season starts. I'd love to have him around in GDTs speaking his mind.
Oh and by the way, hello Lshap!

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Lshap

Hey PhysicX!

It would be nice to see all of us back and frothing at the mouth over an actual hockey game again. Over on the main board, it's like some unholy orgy of group love as rival fanbases bond together to battle the lockout. Habs, Bruins and Leafs fans all getting along -- it's unnatural I tell you.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:31 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Hey PhysicX!

It would be nice to see all of us back and frothing at the mouth over an actual hockey game again. Over on the main board, it's like some unholy orgy of group love as rival fanbases bond together to battle the lockout. Habs, Bruins and Leafs fans all getting along -- it's unnatural I tell you.
The end truly is near, that's just blasphemous!

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:14 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Hey PhysicX!

Unhealthy as well... I've been making level headed posts about the Leafs recently and agreed with some Leafs fans. In normal times I'd flame&troll them every chance I get.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Unhealthy as well... I've been making level headed posts about the Leafs recently and agreed with some Leafs fans. In normal times I'd flame&troll them every chance I get.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:11 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
So....

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:41 AM
schumway2

Where'd he go?

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:19 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
Where'd he go?
I actually asked this elswhere and was told to check this thread and it would be clear, something about him going into hiding because people were basically stalking him. There were some strange exchanges between posters as well, like , you know what you did and the other guy replying with a ..who. me ? Anyway, I read pages of this thread and did not at all see what people were talking about as I didnt see anything out of line, just Brian being asked questions as you would expect. However, he is gone.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:30 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I actually asked this elswhere and was told to check this thread and it would be clear, something about him going into hiding because people were basically stalking him. There were some strange exchanges between posters as well, like , you know what you did and the other guy replying with a ..who. me ? Anyway, I read pages of this thread and did not at all see what people were talking about as I didnt see anything out of line, just Brian being asked questions as you would expect. However, he is gone.
I suspect the whole "You know what you did" thing is more of a running gag at this point that anything else. AFAIK, Mr. Savage just was overwhelmed by the attention of everybody and decided it was better to either remain anonymous or leave the board.

Too bad; I only asked him one question. If there are really people who went overboard (figuratively and literally), then I feel sorry for the man.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Craig71

Is he really gone??? Can this be verified?

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote