HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas to Toronto

Old
12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
**with a ring (it was coming sooner or later)
Not with ring, with a Conn Smythe Trophy

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Luongo is a hot house flower who wilted when faced with the biggest games of his career. Thomas carried an inferior team on his back and won a title. Who was the better teammate? The guy who won and took all the pressure or the guy who whined, folded, complained and wanted his tires pumped?
Shh Canucks fans don't want this to be heard while they are actively pumping Luongo's tires.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
**with a ring (it was coming sooner or later)
of course, i could never discount the quality of his on ice play. top notch goalie.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Not with ring, with a Conn Smythe Trophy
And 2x Vezina trophies...people can say what they want about his political views but there is absolutely no denying he "retired" when he was on top of his game.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
And 2x Vezina trophies...people can say what they want about his political views but there is absolutely no denying he "retired" when he was on top of his game.
Yeah but I think he retired earlier because he didn't want to be embarrassed again by getting shoved aside by Rask.

stlblues9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:14 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
Yeah but I think he retired earlier because he didn't want to be embarrassed again by getting shoved aside by Rask.
Well as long as you think that

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Luongo is a hot house flower who wilted when faced with the biggest games of his career. Thomas carried an inferior team on his back and won a title. Who was the better teammate? The guy who won and took all the pressure or the guy who whined, folded, complained and wanted his tires pumped?
boston was the better team. the moment hamhuis went down, the canucks had zero chance of winning. similar to if boston lost big Z.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:21 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
I hardly think he carried anything on his back. For gods sake, do you think the Canucks were the better team in the SCF? He was certainly the better goalie in 4/7 games, but holy misunremembering.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:21 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
If only the Leafs hadn't traded Rask...

Old
12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
I hardly think he carried anything on his back. For gods sake, do you think the Canucks were the better team in the SCF? He was certainly the better goalie in 4/7 games, but holy misunremembering.
ive always believed that if Thomas was on Vancouver, and Lu on Boston, the Bruins still win the cup. they were the better team.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
TmlHockeyFan

I would be glad if we signed him this offseason for 1 or 2 years. So much better than giving up pieces/prospects for Luongo.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:41 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keva Rosenberg View Post
I don't know if I could stand to have a player on the Leafs who wouldn't accept an Obamaphone
Would TT visit the PM's office when the Leafs win the Cup?

Old
12-12-2012, 07:48 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
I would be glad if we signed him this offseason for 1 or 2 years. So much better than giving up pieces/prospects for Luongo.
2 years would be a risk tho, as he was willing to hurt the bruins with his cap hit while he didnt play, right?

Old
12-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Mystifo
Malkin To Kulemin.

Quote:
Would TT visit the PM's office when the Leafs win the Cup?
I think Steve and TT would get along pretty well. Make for an awesome sitcom also. Well that tears it TT needs to come to Ottawa!

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:52 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quite frankly, he wouldn't be welcome on the team after the Chic-fil-A incident. Not while Burke is here anyways.

Last edited by iPunch: 12-12-2012 at 08:16 PM.
iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:09 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
2 years would be a risk tho, as he was willing to hurt the bruins with his cap hit while he didnt play, right?
And it really makes a difference to them that he took a year off because there's a lockout right....

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Oates2Neely

Like him or not, there is no denying his talent. Thomas is an elite goaltender, 2-time Vezina winner, Cup winner, Conn Smythe winner. He'd be starting on the majority of teams in the NHL. If Thomas decided to play this season, Burke would be foolish not to inquire, Leafs have a huge vacancy between the pipes.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:35 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
I think Steve and TT would get along pretty well. Make for an awesome sitcom also. Well that tears it TT needs to come to Ottawa!
Steve is a Marxist by Tea Party standards.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:45 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Like him or not, there is no denying his talent. Thomas is an elite goaltender, 2-time Vezina winner, Cup winner, Conn Smythe winner. He'd be starting on the majority of teams in the NHL. If Thomas decided to play this season, Burke would be foolish not to inquire, Leafs have a huge vacancy between the pipes.
This.

Burke needs to stop using the Leafs for his own agenda / ego. If Thomas is available, and expresses a desire to play, he should absolutely be interested.

As for the Luongo vs. Thomas call -- it's really easy. One wont come with a long term deal that blocks James Reimer, and as for "who's a better teammate", the answer to that is the one that wins you more games. I suspect that's the guy with all the hardware.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:41 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Timmy Tee is a fatty. He probably wouldn't last another year between the pipes anyway.
Well as long as you think that

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:45 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Thomas is a better fit in Toronto than Luongo is. Thomas enjoys the spotlight and is a capable playoff performer. He is short term, so not prospects need be harmed and he is a flashy aquisition, able to distract critics of the Burke regime.

In my opinion the Leafs overpayed the last time they encountered Boston in a trade. It might be interesting to see Burke extract the Starter from Boston. Is Thomas still the starter? He is a guy claiming to take a year off in a lockout year? This just sounds like some kind of wacky goalie rant to me. Who takes a year off when you have two left in your career?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Thomas is a better fit in Toronto than Luongo is. Thomas enjoys the spotlight and is a capable playoff performer. He is short term, so not prospects need be harmed and he is a flashy aquisition, able to distract critics of the Burke regime.

In my opinion the Leafs overpayed the last time they encountered Boston in a trade. It might be interesting to see Burke extract the Starter from Boston. Is Thomas still the starter? He is a guy claiming to take a year off in a lockout year? This just sounds like some kind of wacky goalie rant to me. Who takes a year off when you have two left in your career?
If I was forced to answer, I'd say Tim Thomas.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Pfft. Why do you think the Canucks couldn't score? A big reason is because Thomas was denying the barrage of shots he faced. Even in the games he lost, he kept his team in it to the very end. The Sedin's magically stop scoring when playing against Thomas? Hmmmm.

Last edited by Shawnathon: 12-13-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

If Thomas is still a great goalie (after doing god knows what during the lockout) then the Leafs should put aside anything else and sign him. Believe it or not, not everyone in the Leafs organization has the same political views, and they havent killed each other.

Andrew Ference is as far left as you can possibly get, and he still defended TT on every single play despite TTs conservatism (radicalism?).

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
If only the Leafs hadn't traded Rask...
We'll see what Rask can do when shouldering the starters load, until then....

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote