HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2012, 06:33 PM
  #101
BlackBirRd5
Registered User
 
BlackBirRd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Which by the way, has been just as common an occurance in this thread.
Don't doubt that - it always goes both ways I was really just responding to the proposal I saw that had Kadri Biggs etc.

BlackBirRd5 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
  #102
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
Gotcha then agreed that's likely what's going to be the case if there is a season, Gillis is going to have to wait it out
yeah and I believe its more about the right fit than the total value. meaning Gillis would value 1 Zack Kassian higher than 2 Kadri's, simply due to the size/grit factor. He has very specific wants to compliment the canuck core, which already has so many great pieces.

skywarp75 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
  #103
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
yeah and I believe its more about the right fit than the total value. meaning Gillis would value 1 Zack Kassian higher than 2 Kadri's, simply due to the size/grit factor. He has very specific wants to compliment the canuck core, which already has so many great pieces.
Most of the Leafs pieces being offered are considered "mediocore". Why would you guys want to add any of those pieces to core that already so many great ones?

sniper81 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 07:22 PM
  #104
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
Most of the Leafs pieces being offered are considered "mediocore". Why would you guys want to add any of those pieces to core that already so many great ones?
well thats what these threads are all about. leaf fans offering a bunch of pieces that the canuck fans dont see value in, and then getting mad that we overvalue luongo.

for example, a left side Dman is useless to the nucks cuz they have 4 good ones already

a right winger is useful to the nucks, as they only have Hansen & Burrows.

a defensive center is more useful to van than Bozak would be.

skywarp75 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 07:34 PM
  #105
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
Bob MacKenzie stated clearly that the only way he could see Luongo getting moved was in a 'soft deal' and Canucks fans are still convinced Gillis is going to get multiple first-round pick players and / or first-round picks for Luongo. Don't get it, not saying Luongo isn't attractive but NEITHER Toronto Florida or any other team is going to give up anything significant to acquire him. Plain as day to NHL prognosticators and insiders but apparently not to armchair GMs here

Gillis was on TV a while back at a golf event saying he was fielding calls almost daily about Luongo and my friend and I both looked at each other and said the equivalent of 'doubt that' to each other. Maybe he is, but you can be sure the GM on the other end knows he's in the driver's seat
He also said that Gillis is likely to simply keep Luongo until he gets a deal he believes is worthwhile. Keep in mind the initial demand from Gillis was Gardiner+. McKenzie could very easily have been referencing those demands. He mentioned Florida will not part with a blue chipper, which neither Kadri or Finn are. You are inferring those statements in benefit to your perspective when they were purposely ambiguous.

And for reference sake, what position a player was drafted is wholly irrelevant.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 07:35 PM
  #106
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
well thats what these threads are all about. leaf fans offering a bunch of pieces that the canuck fans dont see value in, and then getting mad that we overvalue luongo.

for example, a left side Dman is useless to the nucks cuz they have 4 good ones already

a right winger is useful to the nucks, as they only have Hansen & Burrows.

a defensive center is more useful to van than Bozak would be.
Well Bozak is actually a good defensive centre, so i don't know how he wouldn't be useful to the Canucks. So whats of value to you, Lupul and a first?

sniper81 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
  #107
CanuckLuck
Registered User
 
CanuckLuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
Well Bozak is actually a good defensive centre, so i don't know how he wouldn't be useful to the Canucks. So whats of value to you, Lupul and a first?
He'd be useful but if he's the centerpiece of a deal around Luongo it just is quite simply not enough. bozak is currently the Leafs #1 Center yet he's often seen as totally expendable. is it perhaps because he's just really not that great?

CanuckLuck is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 08:03 PM
  #108
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
He'd be useful but if he's the centerpiece of a deal around Luongo it just is quite simply not enough. bozak is currently the Leafs #1 Center yet he's often seen as totally expendable. is it perhaps because he's just really not that great?
I don't view him as expendable because we have noone to replace him. Hes suited for a thirdline role but can fill in on the second line if needed. I get that he wouldn't be enough as the centre piece, I also don't see lupul or grabovski being the centre piece either.

sniper81 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
  #109
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Nope, too much.
I agree, too much for Raymond and Eddie Lack.

Vancouver_2010 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 08:30 PM
  #110
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
Well Bozak is actually a good defensive centre, so i don't know how he wouldn't be useful to the Canucks. So whats of value to you, Lupul and a first?
Alain Vignault and you have different standards on 'good defensive'. Its ok tho, many of us think AV is an idiot in how he handles bottom 6 players.

skywarp75 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 08:31 PM
  #111
CanuckLuck
Registered User
 
CanuckLuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
I don't view him as expendable because we have noone to replace him. Hes suited for a thirdline role but can fill in on the second line if needed. I get that he wouldn't be enough as the centre piece, I also don't see lupul or grabovski being the centre piece either.
Your description of Bozak is perfect..I totally agree....but is that really the most valuable asset vancouver can pry from Toronto? It shouldn't be. And if it is from some leaf fans, clearly you do not want luongo..which is understandable..

CanuckLuck is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 08:56 PM
  #112
FAMOUSfin
Registered User
 
FAMOUSfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Bozak is no defensive center. He doesn't play the tough defensive minutes. He's not even a top PKer for the Leafs.

FAMOUSfin is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 09:00 PM
  #113
DougGilmour93
Registered User
 
DougGilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,156
vCash: 500
The more and more I think about it, the more I feel that if Burke can't get Luongo for a song (decent price) than I'm fine with looking elsewhere.

If this season is a wash, and it's looking that way more and more, than there will be a number of UFA's available in the offseason. I'm hoping we can target Getzlaf and Thomas. Yes, Tim Thomas (obviously Getlaf). Tim would be perfect for us. He's still an amazing goalie. He got to have his year off and he would most likely only want a one or two year deal as he's 38 now and 39 in the spring. I think he'd be a great mentor for Reimer. Reimer could continue to develop under Thomas, and not have to wait too long before the #1 spot was his, as suppose to having Luongo in front of him. And Thomas has a cup ring to boot.

DougGilmour93 is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 09:10 PM
  #114
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Your description of Bozak is perfect..I totally agree....but is that really the most valuable asset vancouver can pry from Toronto? It shouldn't be. And if it is from some leaf fans, clearly you do not want luongo..which is understandable..
Luongo as a goalie and a person i want, its the uncertainty that comes with his contract that makes it tough for us to give up the few valuable assets we have. We aren't in a position to be a contender even if we trade for Roberto, so we really have to careful and not get burned by trading young pieces.

sniper81 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
  #115
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
Alain Vignault and you have different standards on 'good defensive'. Its ok tho, many of us think AV is an idiot in how he handles bottom 6 players.
So Alain has a different opinion on Bozak than i do? not sure how you would know that lol

sniper81 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
  #116
TmlHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
The more and more I think about it, the more I feel that if Burke can't get Luongo for a song (decent price) than I'm fine with looking elsewhere.

If this season is a wash, and it's looking that way more and more, than there will be a number of UFA's available in the offseason. I'm hoping we can target Getzlaf and Thomas. Yes, Tim Thomas (obviously Getlaf). Tim would be perfect for us. He's still an amazing goalie. He got to have his year off and he would most likely only want a one or two year deal as he's 38 now and 39 in the spring. I think he'd be a great mentor for Reimer. Reimer could continue to develop under Thomas, and not have to wait too long before the #1 spot was his, as suppose to having Luongo in front of him. And Thomas has a cup ring to boot.
Honestly, Thomas would be better to have as a short term solution. Neither Luongo and Thomas are there for long-term. Thomas is less risky because he doesn't have an insane contract. Not only that, Thomas proved himself to be a better goaltender (although he's older).

TmlHockeyFan is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 09:12 PM
  #117
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOUSfin View Post
Bozak is no defensive center. He doesn't play the tough defensive minutes. He's not even a top PKer for the Leafs.
you are correct, he had been playing first line minutes the last 2 years and wasn't on the first penalty kill unit, but he can kill penalties.

sniper81 is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 09:27 PM
  #118
CanuckLuck
Registered User
 
CanuckLuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
Luongo as a goalie and a person i want, its the uncertainty that comes with his contract that makes it tough for us to give up the few valuable assets we have. We aren't in a position to be a contender even if we trade for Roberto, so we really have to careful and not get burned by trading young pieces.
Brian Burke's continuing demise is his inability to address team weaknesses. He will huff and haw at the notion of losing a good prospect for Luongo when realistically this is his best chance. If the Leafs show improvement they will attract free agents. Players want to win and as it stands right now the Leafs have not improved in the standings over the last 3-4 years.

Luong is more than a jump in the standings. he gives the Leafs an identity. he backbones your team. he gives you a chance every night. james Reimer will unlikely to even develope in to a middle of the pack starter. it's a ssad truth Leaf fans may have to accept. Scrivens isn't even on the radar....If 3 years down the road Reimer is the real deal you have the same 'problem' the Canucks have right now. And that is trying to unload a contract to gain valuable assets.

CanuckLuck is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 09:27 PM
  #119
FAMOUSfin
Registered User
 
FAMOUSfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
you are correct, he had been playing first line minutes the last 2 years and wasn't on the first penalty kill unit, but he can kill penalties.
Well he won't be playing optimized offensive minutes if he comes to vancouver and we already have Raymond who can step up to kill penalties in the absence of any of Kesler/Burrows/Malhotra/Hansen/Lapierre/Higgins.

FAMOUSfin is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 09:35 PM
  #120
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keva Rosenberg View Post
If Luongo is as valuable as Canuck fans say, they should be keeping him and trading Schneider instead. Few teams want that albatross of a contract of his. Luongo has taken the Canucks past Chicago and to game 7 of the finals. Game 7, and last season's early exit were not his fault. Though he is getting older, so too are the Canucks in front of him. The window for winning a cup opened and is slowly closing for the Canucks so why not go with the guy who has proven he can get you there. Gillis won't get the value for Luongo he could have received with a more reasonable contract so why give him up?

The real value, and its largely based on potential as he is still unproven, is in Schneider. His career could go in any direction at this point and there are teams right now willing to gamble on his potential. Gillis can get some good pieces to make a Cup winner and if you have the cup, it really doesn't matter if Schneider becomes a Vezina goalie or a flop.
I am completely in favor of trading Schneider, but Im not going to bother discussing it because all that's been offered previously was completely insulting offers.

What pieces could we get for Cory?

LPH is online now  
Old
12-12-2012, 09:36 PM
  #121
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
The vast majority of threads or proposals that I have seen, are from Vancouver fans from what I have seen on here.

A lot of the Leaf fan responses have generally been "no thanks"


How many threads have you seen with Ballard or Raymond in trade proposals? Have they been dealt yet? Nope. This is a message board with many proposals and you can't infer anything substantial from them.


Oh, and this is a Luongo thread, so I'm sure talks in here are going to concern him.


If you don't want him in TO at all, what would be your purpose in this thread?

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 10:38 PM
  #122
VasDimops
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
He also said that Gillis is likely to simply keep Luongo until he gets a deal he believes is worthwhile. Keep in mind the initial demand from Gillis was Gardiner+. McKenzie could very easily have been referencing those demands. He mentioned Florida will not part with a blue chipper, which neither Kadri or Finn are. You are inferring those statements in benefit to your perspective when they were purposely ambiguous.

And for reference sake, what position a player was drafted is wholly irrelevant.
How confident are Canuck fans in having Lack as the backup. I feel like he's paid his dues in the AHL and rose to the challenge. Hypothetically speaking, Luongo gets traded, and Schneider gets injured.....? Still confident? I really like what Lack has done the last couple years, and would love to see him get a chance.

VasDimops is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 11:12 PM
  #123
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasDimops View Post
How confident are Canuck fans in having Lack as the backup. I feel like he's paid his dues in the AHL and rose to the challenge. Hypothetically speaking, Luongo gets traded, and Schneider gets injured.....? Still confident? I really like what Lack has done the last couple years, and would love to see him get a chance.
I think we'd be looking for a 1 year stopgap. Lack is currently injured and struggled to start this season, so it would be a bit risky for a cup contender to rely on him if Schneider got hurt.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
12-12-2012, 11:13 PM
  #124
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasDimops View Post
How confident are Canuck fans in having Lack as the backup. I feel like he's paid his dues in the AHL and rose to the challenge. Hypothetically speaking, Luongo gets traded, and Schneider gets injured.....? Still confident? I really like what Lack has done the last couple years, and would love to see him get a chance.
I have liked his raw ability, lots to grow into, but would like to see if he bounces back when healthy. It was not the best start to the season.

racerjoe is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:18 AM
  #125
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
He'd be useful but if he's the centerpiece of a deal around Luongo it just is quite simply not enough. bozak is currently the Leafs #1 Center yet he's often seen as totally expendable. is it perhaps because he's just really not that great?

thats exactly why

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.