HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part VII : Tips and Tricks Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
^^^^

Lucky man. The most my girlfriend knows about the Rangers is that Dubinsky is on the team. She was devastated too when he was traded. She used to yell "DUBINSKY!" whenever she heard his name on tv. Kind of hilarious.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
I feel like you all think I'm spoiled for going to nearly between 20 and 30 games a year at MSG now.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:56 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Meh, I'd like to go to that many at MSG, but I get to about a dozen at the Garden each year, another dozen at the Coliseum (cheap hockey) and a handful in NJ/other stadiums.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I feel like you all think I'm spoiled for going to nearly between 20 and 30 games a year at MSG now.
41+ dude

12-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

well hey none of us have been to a game this year so we're all in the same boat.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

I ordered a pizza from Domino's an hour and a half ago, still hasn't come, just called the store and they said it was on the way, still ridiculous.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGRYK21 View Post
I ordered a pizza from Domino's an hour and a half ago, still hasn't come, just called the store and they said it was on the way, still ridiculous.
Call and complain and tell them you want a free pizza for your wait. They will give it to you.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Call and complain and tell them you want a free pizza for your wait. They will give it to you.
****, didn't think of that, I even gave the guy a tip, I'm just too nice.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:08 PM
NYR Viper

You can still call. I would call and tell them you got so hungry you ate something else and that you want your money back. Normally they will tell you they will credit your account for a free pizza or something like that

Old
12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Ordering pizza for lunch Pat?

Old
12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

I can't wait until MSG is just a drive away. And bob, I'll go with you in the future
I have no one go to with aside from the people on this board anyway.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I can't wait until MSG is just a drive away. And bob, I'll go with you in the future
I have no one go to with aside from the people on this board anyway.
Knicks? ....

Old
12-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Since you're around Jason (and other "older" guys), how do you feel about taking a year off between high school and college?

Old
12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Since you're around Jason (and other "older" guys), how do you feel about taking a year off between high school and college?
I asked my parents about doing that and I almost got slapped in the face

Old
12-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
Well, my mother is the one that suggested it

Old
12-12-2012, 07:44 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Anybody else watching 121212 on MSG right now?

I feel pretty dumb for not going. This is one of those once in a lifetime shows, and I'm finally back on Long Island. Blegh... Oh well, TV works too.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Anybody else watching 121212 on MSG right now?

I feel pretty dumb for not going. This is one of those once in a lifetime shows, and I'm finally back on Long Island. Blegh... Oh well, TV works too.
It was damn near impossible to get tickets reasonably. Had 3 computers going to try to get them for face when they came out. Don't think they dropped below $600 on the secondary market.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
It is not the time period that matters, it's what you do with it.

That's what she said. Or he.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:49 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
It was damn near impossible to get tickets reasonably. Had 3 computers going to try to get them for face when they came out. Don't think they dropped below $600 on the secondary market.
Yeah I could see that. This is NY, gotta know people

Not like I do, just making a joke!

One day. These days I'm telling myself when I have courtside seats near Spike at MSG I know I've made it in NY

Old
12-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
REALLLY enjoy summer and find a great mental space before college or uni starts. Again, it's not the time period that matters, it's what you do with it. An entire year off to do nothing or just a job can get old before it's half over.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
It is not the time period that matters, it's what you do with it.

That's what she said. Or he.
You know I'm looking to spend my time well

Old
12-12-2012, 08:00 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Bruce and Bon Jovi killing it right now

Old
12-12-2012, 08:04 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I just want to be ABLE to go right now. My god I miss my sport.

I'm sure you guys are all just as passionate and miss the game just as much, but in light of the disappointment from today's negotiations, excuse me while I vent my sorrows for a moment.

I am 26 years old. I was raised on hockey. My dad played until he was 15. My uncle played in college and then in Germany. I went to my first game at MSG when I was 2. At 3, we moved from Queens to Huntington (Suffolk) and five months later, a new house was built on the empty lot directly next to ours and the new neighbors moved in: David Volek and his young wife. Volek was an Islander and a very nice and friendly guy and really good neighbor (my parents were extremely nice, welcoming and helpful to a young foreign couple just starting, not only their lives in a new country, but their marriage as well) and he took me in instantly. I was at the Volek's house daily, playing hockey with David in the garage and the basement. He cut his sticks down for me, let me take his gloves and helmet back to my house over night, gave me pucks, jerseys, etc.

Obviously, he gave me a ton of actual tips and coaching as well and after a little while, when my parents knew him better, they started letting him take me to practice with him. I was in the Islander's locker room regularly and on the ice at the Coliseum at a very young age. Now not only David but guys like Pat Flatley, Steve Thomas, Mick Vokuta, Glen Heally, Pat LaFontaine, Scott Lachance and so many others all became coaches and idols. Most of them were over David's house a lot too, so I saw a lot of them and they were all super nice to me. Pat LaFontaine used to let my parents come over and use his pool and jacuzzi after a while. In case you couldn't do the math, all of this meant that by the time I was 5 or 6, I was so deeply infected with hockey, to my very core, that it was virtually the only thing I talked about. I collected hockey cards, insisted on watching every game on TV, regardless of who was playing, only asked for jerseys, cards, posters and gear for holidays, etc.

By 6 I was playing in a youth league. By 8 I was playing in two. By 9 I had favorite players on every single team in the league and had more stats memorized than it's believable for a 9 year old kid to know (my dad was a financial genius so I inherited a talent for stats and numbers). But at 9 David also was forced to retire due to back injuries. It stunk, but we still had connections to get to a lot of games and get me in the locker room occasionally for a couple of more years before that era of my life would be over. David and his family (he'd had a daughter a year or so after moving in and a son right before he retired) moved back to CZ, or Florida (can't remember, he ended up scouting for the Panthers for a while, but I don't remember if they moved back to Europe first or straight to Florida) but we kept in touch via letters for a while (we didn't even have email yet back then!).

Also at this time, the Rangers had just won the Stanley Cup so... despite having so much exposure to Islanders and receiving so much kindness from them my young, bandwagoning self became a big time Rangers fan (though, keep in mind, my family had been Rangers fans back in Queens, when I went to my first game before moving to LI - we attended some Rangers games even when David was our neighbor). I would also become a big Avalanche fan when they got their team, coming out of the first lockout and a huge Peter Forsberg fan. They were my second team for like a decade, until Forsberg went to NSH/PHI. Anyhow, I kept playing hockey and collecting cards, memorabilia and jerseys. I wrote to my favorite players regularly and watched more hockey than everything else combined. Most kids had favorite shows and cartoons and movies. I watched hockey. Most kids played video games; I played hockey ones. I'd end up getting to meet Forsberg at the Coliseum after he scored an OT winner one day after my birthday in like 2000. I ended up meeting dozens more NHL players because I would get my parents to take me to all kinds of events and appearances, or beg my dad to wait after games for autographs. I also accumulated a pretty massive card and memorabilia collection over the years.

By the time I was 12 I was playing really competitive travel hockey for a few teams. By the time I was 14 my closest friend Tim Kunes went to play juniors and my family had the discussion about whether I could/would go that route or stay home and play high school hockey. In the end, I was very hesitant about the idea of going to live with a host family and leaving the comforts of home and so I went the high school route. In high school, because I hadn't tried entering the draft for the CHL, my parents thought it was best that I consider hockey no more than a serious hobby and that I try other sports as well since hockey was a bit of a niche sport and not very popular at my school (we had to share our team with two other high schools to field a full roster). I always watched football with my dad on Sundays (unless hockey was on at the same time) so I went out for the high school football team. Then my friends all started playing lacrosse and I saw the immediate similarities with hockey, so I played that too. I never stopped playing hockey, or being completely obsessed with it, but since my school's hockey program wasn't great and my parents were very realistic and honest with me, I let the dream of pursuing hockey as a career go and focused on the other sports too.

I still wanted to do something like be a hockey writer or do marketing for the NHL. I eventually chose my major (journalism/public relations) for those reasons. Even today, I think about taking my LSAT and going to law school to become an agent. I played college hockey and was a decent, unremarkable player and even an assistant captain in my senior year. I've coached hockey and worked at hockey camps several times since turning 17 or so. I have a massive hockey memorabilia and jersey collection and I still play pickup hockey 2+ times weekly with a bunch of ex-college and junior players. My girlfriend is a big hockey fan (we ended up together because we were at a mutual friend's new years party, where I was pursuing a different girl and I overheard her talking about Leetch and Richter and started chatting her up) and a big part of our relationship is in going to games, watching games on TV, traveling to other arenas to see games, collecting hockey stuff together and going to Rangers related events. Even so, she sometimes loses it with me and yells "all you talk about is hockey! even during the lockout!".

And it's true. All I talk about is hockey. All I think about is hockey. I bought the new Assassin's Creed the day it came out and I love that series. I still haven't finished it because I can't put down NHL 13 long enough to get through it, and there's not even a season going on this year. I have several Rangers jerseys, including a beautiful authentic Callahan and i still asked for a Girardi jersey for Christmas. I can tell you virtually every player on every team in the NHL (or at least name, for almost every team, the main 20 players they'll dress this season), what position they play, what number they are, roughly how much their salary is, roughly how many points they had last season and what type of game the play, and do the same for the top 5+ prospects on every team in the league. No cheating, no looking it up. In short, I am the biggest hockey fan I know, and the biggest hockey fan that anyone I know personally knows. My friends that play hockey, even the ones who played college and juniors, even the ones who are better than me, tell me I'm a freak for liking hockey as much as I do. I fall asleep with 24/7 playing in the background most nights. I just pop the disc in before I'm ready to go to sleep, dim the screen on my TV, turn the volume down and watch until I pass out each night. My girlfriend is used to it; she knows she's dating an insane person.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is: I am suffering. I'm a miserable, moody, emotionally unpredictable train-wreck. Give me back my ****ing NHL hockey, dammit.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:09 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
text
Preach, brother. Preach.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
EDIT: Caution, mad man ranting below

Do it. There's no rush to get a college degree these days. They're worthless now anyways. You might as well know EXACTLY what you want to do, where you want to go, what you're going to study and what your game plan is long before you enroll or even think about spending a dime these days. And the expectation that, when you graduate from high school, you should know these things and be ready to make decisions that are going to impact the rest of your life and which are costly (not tremendously, but changing majors or schools, for example, isn't exactly like skipping songs on your ipod either)if they don't turn out to be what you really wanted when you were an ~18 year old is ridiculous.

Gain some experience in the world. Do anything you want. Travel. Work. Volunteer. Discover yourself and take your time. Seriously. I think it should be MANDATORY to take time off before college, having done it all myself. Honestly, travel. Work a job you'd never expect to or apprentice for someone. Or go backpacking. Hell, go do drugs even. Change your perspective and explore your mind. Know who you are and what YOU really believe before you make decisions about education and career paths. Learn how to think 100% for yourself and not according to what parents and teachers want you to think or based upon the patterns and habits that your social indoctrination (school up until high school graduation) has ingrained in you. Get an idea of how things REALLY work. Not the way you're told they work. Not the way the news/media/school says they work. Form as many original opinions as you can, even if they contradict what you've been taught and told. Make decisions about school later, when you're a complete person. No insult meant, it's just about youth and experience. The notion that we're equipped to make these kinds of decisions fresh out of high school is a problem that most people aren't even aware of because it's simply a societal norm (turns out those aren't always good, in and of themselves).

Go out and figure out what kind of person you are and what kind of mind you have and what kind of world you're really living in, all outside of the influence of the education system and high school social clicks and everything else you've known to this point. Then you'll be equipped to figure out where you REALLY want to go in life. Kids who are a mere 18 years old who go to college and declare themselves finance majors and study to become accountants are doing it wrong. Sure, they can turn out okay, via some other influences (strong people in their life providing guidance, an alternative experience, strong drive to learn and discover outside of the classroom on their own), but that path is a ridiculous one and it's driven by thoughts like "accountants make good livings". Making a living is important, because you have to exist in this world, but make a difference first. Not necessarily in the world. Just A difference. Some kind. To do that, you have to learn so much more than high school and societies standards can teach you. I simply don't believe kids are equipped to make use of the college experience immediately upon graduating from high school. My little brother is a far more intellectual, outside the box, personal discovery type of person than most of his peers and he's a senior in college, about to graduate and he's still a baby with no world experience and a half-formed world view because of it. It blows my mind that in 6-7 months he'll be considered a college graduate, expected to look for a career and start living his adult life of self sufficiency and societal contribution. He's not equipped. It's unreasonable to expect him to be. Our society, with all of it's helpful "norms" and standards IS unreasonable. I think the smartest people are the ones who don't follow the standard path and don't do what's expected of them. I didn't graduate college until I was 25 because I simply had other things to do that were important to me. I wanted to live according to my own standards and priorities, not society's.

Sorry for the rant, but I truly think there is nothing more valuable than going outside of the lines and flying in the face of the status quo. You'd never expect it from talking to me or looking at me, because I don't think that means you have to dress different or act different or try to show off that you ARE different. It just means thinking for yourself. I value my own opinion more than anything in this world. We're taught that there's something wrong with that and that we're supposed to accept what other's say and what we're taught, but I accept nothing that I can't first think about, apply logic to, apply my moral code to and then agree with. I don't care who said it or who taught it to me. Just because an 'authority' says it, doesn't make it right or true. Just because society says we should do something or society values something, doesn't mean it's right. Just like going to college at 18 years old. Just my $.02.

Closed Thread