HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

vCash: 500
I think if anyone else gets traded this offseason it will be Rajai. There's just no need for him anymore with all of the speed the team now has and Gose ready to fill in the outfield if someone gets injured. I'm sure we could get a decent depth starter/long arm for him.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i dont get why they favor izturis over bonifacio at 2b
is his D that bad?

Old
12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i dont get why they favor izturis over bonifacio at 2b
is his D that bad?
no i think its that izturis is just better, Boni has better D in the outfield then infield and has played OF (in recent years) a lot more then IF.

Kinda makes sense why Atlanta is going after him, they probably see him as one of those guys that still has more to offer. He would be a nice cheap alternative for an OF position that also provides potential. Definitely why AA would be setting a high price for teams trying to acquire him.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:05 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
no i think its that izturis is just better, Boni has better D in the outfield then infield and has played OF (in recent years) a lot more then IF.

Kinda makes sense why Atlanta is going after him, they probably see him as one of those guys that still has more to offer. He would be a nice cheap alternative for an OF position that also provides potential. Definitely why AA would be setting a high price for teams trying to acquire him.
he stole 40 bases in 2010
hardly a bench player
seems like a waste

Old
12-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think if anyone else gets traded this offseason it will be Rajai. There's just no need for him anymore with all of the speed the team now has and Gose ready to fill in the outfield if someone gets injured. I'm sure we could get a decent depth starter/long arm for him.
Sure there is. You can use him to platoon with either Lind or Colby. A bench consists of 4 players and there is nothing wrong with having a strong bench. In fact, it will be very useful when our players get injured.

If anything, Jays could use another middle infielder that can play SS for their 25th roster spot. Right now, they really only have Izturis who can play SS after Reyes.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:20 PM
calcal798

Quote:
hardly a bench player
seems like a waste
didn't say he was a bench player.
When Melky Cabrera was the CF for the Royals in 2011, he had a better fielding percentage then Colby ever has had. Bonifacio has had a good fielding percentage over his career too. If both of those guys are playing well in the OF, are batting well (better then Colby) and are good base runners, I'd fail to see how itd make sense for Colby to be starting over them.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Sure there is. You can use him to platoon with either Lind or Colby. A bench consists of 4 players and there is nothing wrong with having a strong bench. In fact, it will be very useful when our players get injured.

If anything, Jays could use another middle infielder that can play SS for their 25th roster spot. Right now, they really only have Izturis who can play SS after Reyes.
Orlando Hudson is a fa

Old
12-12-2012, 06:25 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
When Melky Cabrera was the CF for the Royals in 2011, he had a better fielding percentage then Colby ever has had. Bonifacio has had a good fielding percentage over his career too. If both of those guys are playing well in the OF, are batting well (better then Colby) and are good base runners, I'd fail to see how itd make sense for Colby to be starting over them.
Fielding percentage is a terrible stat to judge defensive proficiency on. It's based almost entirely on errors, which are perhaps the king of all bad stats.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Perhaps AA wanted Bonifacio so bad knowing that the Braves wanted him, so he could work out a deal?

Old
12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Fielding percentage is a terrible stat to judge defensive proficiency on. It's based almost entirely on errors, which are perhaps the king of all bad stats.
thanks, what would the go to stat for defensive analysis be then, UZR?

Old
12-12-2012, 06:37 PM
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
UZR doesn't like Colby's defense but DRS does so there's no conclusive results. But in person he seems like a solid fielder generally

Old
12-12-2012, 06:45 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

There really isn't one. they all have some noted flaws in them. You're really best off using a grab bag of things like UZR, DRS, dWAR
(if your chosen stat source offers dWAR), and good old fashioned eyeballs.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
Sounded to me like a "get me over" kind of pitch (the change that is).

I just read another scouting report, projects the fastball as a plus-plus pitch (both 2 seamer and 4 seamer), as well as the change and curve projecting to be above average pitches. But it doesn't even make mention of a slider (the article linked in the thread mentioned it is new).

Do the Jays still put emphasis on developing a changeup? Or is that something that they've moved on from?
Not sure but it'd be idiotic to not employ that among your pitchers. Such an under-appreciated and deceptive pitch.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:53 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
There really isn't one. they all have some noted flaws in them. You're really best off using a grab bag of things like UZR, DRS, dWAR
(if your chosen stat source offers dWAR), and good old fashioned eyeballs.
Thanks, i hadnt seen Cabrera or Boni enough for my eyeballs.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:19 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
no i mean....... as of now he's a bench player (super sub) - seems a waste
there's nowhere to put him

bonifacio looked a good fit in LF to bat 2nd
then AA got cabrera a few days later
then vowed izturis will be the 2b

and yet he demanding bonifacio in the trade

Old
12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:

Don't ask, don't get. Bonifacio gives the Jays great depth and versatility. Given that they were basically fielding a AAA lineup at times last season, it only makes sense to add a super sub like Boni when you get the chance. The guy will get plenty of starts spelling three outfield positions as well as SS, 2B and 3B, plus plenty more appearances off the bench. A terrific addition to the club, if he isn't flipped for something even more valuable.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

Having a super-sub off the bench is valuable in itself. With him we take the places normally held by 2-3 guys and combine them into 1, allowing for things like carrying an extra catcher when d'Arnaud is ready or having a bench bat without a defensive position. Never mind what he can add as a pinch runner or starting when the team needs more speed on the basepaths.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:36 PM
thehockeysong
BJ elitist

I think the most important thing to remember is that no team starts their opening day lineup every game. Injuries will give him plenty of opportunities to go along with the times he is inserted to give guys a day off. That right there is a lot of playing time.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Not sure but it'd be idiotic to not employ that among your pitchers. Such an under-appreciated and deceptive pitch.
Well Norris apparently has an excellent change, I know Sanchez and Syndergaard at least throw it. I don't remember where I read that the coaching staff was emphasizing the slider rather than the changeup as it had been in the past.

Like you say though, to me it seems like it's absolutely necessary to be able to throw it at the major league level.

One more thing...Sanchez had a 0.72 ERA through 63 IP this season...he finished at like 2.70 or something and only pitched 90 innings, will stretching him out become an issue? It seemed like he really had a tough time to finish the season.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
AA said he wouldn't do the trade without bonafacio... Why would he trade him?
I'm not saying he would trade him but he may have insisted on him knowing other teams wanted him and he could use him as a piece to get something else he wants. He may have had a secondary trade in the works and said gm said he was looking at Bonafacio. Who knows really? Just offering a different perspective.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:05 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I'm not saying he would trade him but he may have insisted on him knowing other teams wanted him and he could use him as a piece to get something else he wants. He may have had a secondary trade in the works and said gm said he was looking at Bonafacio. Who knows really? Just offering a different perspective.
That could be one possible reason but also maybe the Braves value him very highly and are willing to give up a young arm with good potential for him. Some gm's get fascinated with certain players (Towers with Didi just as a recent example) so maybe the Braves are crazy high on the guy and willing to overpay in AA's mind. There manager apparently loves the guy so maybe hes pushing management to aquire him?

Old
12-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Guys complaining about too much depth<<<<<<

Old
12-12-2012, 08:12 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
hardly a bench player
seems like a waste
Rajai stole 46 bases last year
hardly an everyday player.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:23 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Rajai stole 46 bases last year
hardly an everyday player.
Very true. People love Bonifacio because he's the sexy, less known pick who's being hyped right now. Izturis is a very good defensive 2nd basemen and he'll likely get to play ~100 games this year.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:24 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

maholm would do nice

Closed Thread