HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXVIII: Don't worry about the lockout. Let me worry about blank.

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 05:37 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
NHL Lockout XXVIII: Don't worry about the lockout. Let me worry about blank.

Continue.

REMINDER: We are here to discuss hockey and the lockout. Debate is welcome, and encouraged. Be mindful that we expect everyone to be courteous and respectful -- debate like an adult.

If you post a tweet or a quote from a person involved in the Lockout from any other source it needs to be accompanied with a link to the source.

Please be mindful of those who come to this thread for information and serious discussion of the Lockout. Having fun is fine, but let's not clutter the entire thread up with off topic jokes and spam.

12-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Re-posted from the other thread.

Former AHLer (with 7 NHL games before retiring) Graham Mink had this to say.

https://twitter.com/GrahamMink21/sta...98101367341056

https://twitter.com/GrahamMink21/sta...98708358615040

"4 NHLPA players who ask "whats in this deal for us?" I answer: Millions of $ to play a sport you love while you are young enough to play it.

Take the deal and get back on the ice. You'll never make up the money you've lost. Owners aren't right, but since when does that matter? "

Old
12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I wouldn't interpret today as a breakdown. I think it's as likely that they are poking each other a bit and see if the other side blinks. Anyone expecting them to agree straight up to each others last week proposals is a bit naive.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Jopsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I wouldn't interpret today as a breakdown. I think it's as likely that they are poking each other a bit and see if the other side blinks. Anyone expecting them to agree straight up to each others last week proposals is a bit naive.
They have been poking each other since October

Old
uncleherman77

I think this will get done like others have said. But it's going right up into January, so expect another 3 weeks of emotions.

Old
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
I have no ****ing idea what the players are doing anymore. They aren't going to get a magical fairy dust deal hand delivered to them by Bettman with tears streaming down his face.

The only thing in their future is MORE lost wages. What the **** are they doing? Like holy ****.

Old
YogiCanucks

What happened last Thursday may or may not been a PR Stunt. But that Boston Pizza email 100% is.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
How about expecting one side to act like a grownup and make a move to start negotiating. Is that too much to ask?
I guess it would be like believing in Santa Claus to expect one side to propose a compromise.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:33 PM
brom7

Quote:
So as we agreed earlier, it's going to be an extended game of chicken. I think it's time i finally stopped looking on this site; although it probably won't happen. The day I do, I know I don't care anymore.

Old
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

After reading up on some things, I still think this gets done soon.

Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Agreed completely.

This board launched into an overreaction IMO. They are too close on key aspects to not get a deal done. It may not happen today or tomorrow, but I truly believe the deal will get done in time for a 55-48 game season.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
12-12-2012, 07:34 PM
StittsvilleJames

What's the lifespan of a typical lockout thread around here? If it's about 3 per week, and we have another 4 weeks of lockout garbage before we reach a realistic end of the line, this could get to XL! Then again, throw in a string of positivity if it starts looking like we're getting to the end, and I think I will put my over under number at 49.5 threads (which, according to my crappy roman numeral skills, would be XLIX.V?)

Hope I'm wrong and we're done by Christmas.....

Old
uncleherman77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Yep, and I've been pretty pessimistic though this. Curious though, you really want to get this done and watch the Blue Jackets again? Be careful what you wish for.

Old
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
reading up on what?

Old
12-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Argh, I hate it when a thread closes when I'm in the middle of posting a reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
That's all well and good but it's still speculation. I'm pretty sure all the players know exactly what was in the last NHL offer, as well as the players board. They still have not put it to vote. If there was so much discontent for Fehr, he would be gone by now. Still feel like it's a ploy to drive a wedge.

You need a source with at least one confirmed player. We have none. I'm sure there are differing opinions in 750 player just like there are different opinions in the owners group. I fail to see a point.
Well, he was quoting what players told him. I suppose it's speculation if you think he's either misrepresenting or mistaken in what he's reporting. I would suspect the players he spoke to asked not to be named.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
IMO, Bettman sets the agenda. He has I believe a 75% veto protection. To suggest that he is simply following the owners wishes in passing along what they will accept is simply not accurate. He's paid big bucks to negotiate the best deal he can.
Goals. Not the hockey kind, the business kind. Bottom line stuff. "Gary, we want contract lengths shortened. We want revenue at 50/50, we won't accept anything else." That sort of stuff. Gary then earns the big bucks by negotiating to get to those points. Those are the goals. Do the owners say each day, "Gary, today change the contract years to 7 and the UFA age to X"? No. Have they discussed with him what the ultimate goal is and instructed him to get it? I believe they have. I never said he didn't have power to negotiate, only that the owners have made it very clear to him as to what they will accept and it's up to him to get it. It is possible to have the ultimate goal set out and then be given the power to choose how to achieve it.

Old
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
How about expecting one side to act like a grownup and make a move to start negotiating. Is that too much to ask?
I guess it would be like believing in Santa Claus to expect one side to propose a compromise.
I don't see either side blinking until the entire season is on the line. What is missing another dozen games at this point?

Old
CerebralGenesis

Wait. People are upset over today's events? Their hearts are on a string, poor souls.

Old
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Seriously who the **** do the players think they are pushing this to January? What, the offer isn't good enough? Seriously, how can you walk away from this type of deal and more NHL games because you don't like a contract exemption that affects like what, 5% of the league?

I've just had enough.Who wants to watch 40 freaking games? Just crush the union and I'll have a great time watching it happen.

No desire to watch a 40 game season take place so the powers of the league can have fun battling eachother for position while the rest do crap.

A team like the Islanders, with all these young players, they need time. It's getting to rushed and contrived now. I think having less than 60 games SERIOUSLY affects the integrity of this game, and there needs to be a big fat asterisk next to the winner of the cup... because it's not genuine.

The players can go to hell.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

vCash: 50
I was away for a while....whats with the BP email? Malholtra up to his old tricks again?

Old
12-12-2012, 07:37 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Argh, I hate it when a thread closes when I'm in the middle of posting a reply!

Well, he was quoting what players told him. I suppose it's speculation if you think he's either misrepresenting or mistaken in what he's reporting. I would suspect the players he spoke to asked not to be named.

Goals. Not the hockey kind, the business kind. Bottom line stuff. "Gary, we want contract lengths shortened. We want revenue at 50/50, we won't accept anything else." That sort of stuff. Gary then earns the big bucks by negotiating to get to those points. Those are the goals. Do the owners say each day, "Gary, today change the contract years to 7 and the UFA age to X"? No. Have they discussed with him what the ultimate goal is and instructed him to get it? I believe they have. I never said he didn't have power to negotiate, only that the owners have made it very clear to him as to what they will accept and it's up to him to get it. It is possible to have the ultimate goal set out and then be given the power to choose how to achieve it.
It's also possible to set out a range of acceptable goals and give him the power to go out and get it. He's got flexibility in reaching a deal. It's just his style to prefer confrontation over co-operation. Gary loves this stuff and so does Fehr. Heck, after all this is over they'll probably go out for a beer. They're more like each other than they are like any of us.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:39 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
reading up on what?
News reports that have come out, NHL and NHLPA's responses to the media, etc.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:39 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StittsvilleJames View Post
What's the lifespan of a typical lockout thread around here? If it's about 3 per week, and we have another 4 weeks of lockout garbage before we reach a realistic end of the line, this could get to XL! Then again, throw in a string of positivity if it starts looking like we're getting to the end, and I think I will put my over under number at 49.5 threads (which, according to my crappy roman numeral skills, would be XLIX.V?)

Hope I'm wrong and we're done by Christmas.....
Probably depends on how strong the rumors are that particular day...there might have been multiple lockout threads in a day when they had their dog and pony show last week (both on the positive end Tuesday-early Wednesday and the blowup Thursday).

Old
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I don't see either side blinking until the entire season is on the line. What is missing another dozen games at this point?
I'm more optimistic. It makes no economic sense for either side to blow the season over the remaining issues. Of course with Fehr and Bettman sense may take a back seat to egos. In the end though I think the owners will tell Bettman to get the deal done as good as he can and call it a day.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Dynamo81

Well Barnaby responded to Turco calling him a tool on twitter.
https://twitter.com/MattBarnaby3636
Quote:
Matthew Barnaby ‏@MattBarnaby3636
@StittsvilleJame @mturco35 i think Marty was on negotiating committee last time and feeling were hurt. I dm'ed Marty but no response.....

Old
12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I do think the league - or at least many owners - wants to start on New Year's Eve and have a 50+ game season, having a holiday open would be a nice, tidy way to put a bow on this big, ugly mess...but that conclusion doesn't fit with Fehr or the hard-liners' (including Bettman) modus operandi of taking it to the last minute.

Closed Thread