HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 01:21 PM
KISSland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
I think you can go on the play store and get email notifications on when our comes out again. That's how I was notified like a week ago.

Google **** the bed on this release big time. They even admitted along with lg that they never thought the demand would be this heavy. Which is hilarious considering it's a top line phone selling at an unlocked price of about 400
I don't understand either. I read up on the problem and it doesn't make sense how they couldn't predict this phone to be a huge success. I mean.... lol really?

And thanks for the advice. I can't find the link for the email notifications, but I'm just going to call Google's support team. And I'll mark it on my calender to check every two weeks and I'll get my brother to remind me too. I can't wait till Summer.

Does anyone here know how much shipping and handling will be? And if it's any cheaper to ship it in the states(family lives there.)

Old
12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Curious, is the ONLY phone on Verizon that's unlocked is the iPhone 5? Apparently it's because of some FCC rule... but Android phones can't come like this? I love Verizon's coverage and their prices are reasonable... but holy balls... The only reason this got brought up was because I saw a video on unlocking the Galaxy Note II on Verizon.
It's ridiculous because VZW variants of phones are the only ones that are locked down. The Galaxy S3, for instance. Locked bootloader on all other carriers... locked bootloader on VZW.

This is different than the radios, though... I think most phones on all carriers are carrier locked on other domestic carriers. The Sprint iP5 I think is locked to Sprint?

Old
12-12-2012, 01:49 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
It's ridiculous because VZW variants of phones are the only ones that are locked down. The Galaxy S3, for instance. Locked bootloader on all other carriers... locked bootloader on VZW.

This is different than the radios, though... I think most phones on all carriers are carrier locked on other domestic carriers. The Sprint iP5 I think is locked to Sprint?
IIRC, doesn't Verizon have developer edition of phones, where you pay full price, but they're unlocked?

As far as Verizon themselves, you're limited to begin with because of their CDMA baggage, you pay through the nose for their services, even though generally in my experience, they have the most consistent coverage.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post

When you say it like that, do you mean it's literally locked to Verizon and Verizon alone even if you unlock it, while every other version needs to be unlocked and can work on other carriers? If I did get a Note II, I probably would unlock it, but since I've never unlocked anything before, I'm actually really afraid of bricking it . Just want to get rid of the ****** Verizon crapware and maybe do a couple other things. I dunno... I mean, wasn't the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon locked while every other provider was unlocked?

Old
12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
KISSland

I contacted them.

I can't get notifications because they're no longer available. But he took my e-mail down to get me some ticket number so I might get a notification, but he just told me to check daily.. sigh.

Apparently I can purchase the 16gb right now for the states( I don't know if it would be compatible to AWS with Wind in Canada, but I'm guessing it will be since Google phones are unlocked for relatively every carrier...[sined..?])

He said they'll likely be available in 6 weeks. But don't "quote me on that."

Then I'm going to have to wait 2-4 weeks for shipping. **** I should've asked him for a quote. Meh.

Guess I'm back to checking daily. Might as well make the googleplay my home page.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
IIRC, doesn't Verizon have developer edition of phones, where you pay full price, but they're unlocked?

As far as Verizon themselves, you're limited to begin with because of their CDMA baggage, you pay through the nose for their services, even though generally in my experience, they have the most consistent coverage.
They have 'dev editions' of some phones like the RAZR M, RAZR HD, and Galaxy S3. But they're full retail at $550+. They only offer unlocked bootloaders. That's it. The radios are identical between the 'consumer' and 'dev' editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
When you say it like that, do you mean it's literally locked to Verizon and Verizon alone even if you unlock it, while every other version needs to be unlocked and can work on other carriers? If I did get a Note II, I probably would unlock it, but since I've never unlocked anything before, I'm actually really afraid of bricking it . Just want to get rid of the ****** Verizon crapware and maybe do a couple other things. I dunno... I mean, wasn't the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon locked while every other provider was unlocked?
Phones like the Galaxy S3 has multiple variants which don't offer cross radio compatibility (the VZW CDMA version doesn't have the GSM radios to work on ATT/TMo), so in those circumstances, it doesn't matter. But on phones like the RAZR which does have the GSM radios built in, VZW locked them out so they can't be used on domestic carriers. This aspect has nothing to do with the bootloader which is mostly to get access to the boot image and kernel.

And yeah, I have a VZW GNex, and the bootloader comes locked. It's not hard to unlock, but you have to unlock it

Old
12-12-2012, 02:47 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm still considering unlocking my Dinc 2 at least and getting rid of all the crapware stuff on the thing. It's been out of warranty for a long while. The thing is, I have no ****ing idea how it will handle JB mainly because it's still a single core.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I contacted them.

I can't get notifications because they're no longer available. But he took my e-mail down to get me some ticket number so I might get a notification, but he just told me to check daily.. sigh.

Apparently I can purchase the 16gb right now for the states( I don't know if it would be compatible to AWS with Wind in Canada, but I'm guessing it will be since Google phones are unlocked for relatively every carrier...[sined..?])

He said they'll likely be available in 6 weeks. But don't "quote me on that."

Then I'm going to have to wait 2-4 weeks for shipping. **** I should've asked him for a quote. Meh.

Guess I'm back to checking daily. Might as well make the googleplay my home page.
If you can score a gsm version you will be golden. Shipping is about 20

Old
12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

My first rooting + custom ROM installation

Woohoo

It was a major pain in the ass - Ill get to that later

But it was worth it

Running Jellybam ROM

Yay, Jelly Bean

**** you HTC and your late OS updates

Old
12-12-2012, 08:25 PM
invictus

Is there a super easy rooting path for the Samsung Galaxy S II on Sprint yet?

Old
12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
If you can score a gsm version you will be golden. Shipping is about 20
Is Gsm compatible with wind Mobile ? I thiught it only works with AWS? And aren't all the Nexus 4 the same.. help.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Is Gsm compatible with wind Mobile ? I thiught it only works with AWS? And aren't all the Nexus 4 the same.. help.
Any Nexus 4 is compatible with every major carriers (Rogers, Bell, TELUS, Fido, Virgin, Koodo, WIND, Mobilicity, Videotron, Sasktel, etc).

Old
12-12-2012, 11:52 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Any Nexus 4 is compatible with every major carriers (Rogers, Bell, TELUS, Fido, Virgin, Koodo, WIND, Mobilicity, Videotron, Sasktel, etc).
Thanks Sined.

I'm going to ask Google if I can buy the phone from the states, get billed here, and ship it to my fam.

Pretty stoked, I'm going to pick up my temp phone tomorrow.

God I hope this phone comes through. =/

Old
12-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Dave

You shouldn't have any problem buying it in the states from here, you just need a US mailing address. I bought stuff from amazon.com because they were better priced than amazon.ca, shipped it to my sisters vacation home in AZ without any problems. The only issue I was facing was if my sister was forced to claim it on the way back, which would have negated the benefit of ordering it from .com.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You shouldn't have any problem buying it in the states from here, you just need a US mailing address. I bought stuff from amazon.com because they were better priced than amazon.ca, shipped it to my sisters vacation home in AZ without any problems. The only issue I was facing was if my sister was forced to claim it on the way back, which would have negated the benefit of ordering it from .com.
I always wondered about that. Couldn't you just ditch the packaging and pretend it's a work phone or something?

Old
12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
KISSland

Quote:
I always wondered about that. Couldn't you just ditch the packaging and pretend it's a work phone or something?
I do this with clothes lol.

And quite a turn of events.

My ex has a galaxy nexus for sale. And she's willing to sell it to me for 150. I'm likely going to take it. And get the Nexus 4 later, later on.

Oh and I never had the galaxy nexus. I had the nexus s at the time.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Dave

Quote:
Pretty much. I don't remember what she did though.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Some company is offering one of those clip-on controllers for your phone and the new Modern Combat 4 for free. It's apparently a $55 value and you just have to pay shipping.

http://www.powera.com/Products/MOGA-...gn=SecretSanta

Code is: SecretSanta

I have no idea how long this will be going on and their site is moving extremely slow as it is. Stick it out though, I just got mine so my kid can play.

It's just pain.
Old
12-13-2012, 12:26 PM
KISSland

The samsung galaxy is compatible to Wind as well right guys ?

Old
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
The samsung galaxy is compatible to Wind as well right guys ?
If you mean Galaxy Nexus, then yes.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:47 PM
KISSland

Quote:
If you mean Galaxy Nexus, then yes.
Yeah that's what I meant. And I ended up googling it anyway.

I think it's a huge upgrade from my HTC EVO.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

What apps do you guys recommend? Open to all suggestions

Old
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

I already have a Nexus 4 on order but I'm actually considering getting a Note 2 and maybe selling the Nexus 4 when I get it. I'm 2+ years into my contract so I can upgrade now and get a Note 2 for $100, which seems like a pretty good deal.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:51 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
I already have a Nexus 4 on order but I'm actually considering getting a Note 2 and maybe selling the Nexus 4 when I get it. I'm 2+ years into my contract so I can upgrade now and get a Note 2 for $100, which seems like a pretty good deal.
That's a very good deal, and as an owner I strongly recommend the Note 2.

Though there are rumours the S4 and the next note might have that bendy OLED technology...

So that's something to consider....

Old
12-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
That's a very good deal, and as an owner I strongly recommend the Note 2.

Though there are rumours the S4 and the next note might have that bendy OLED technology...

So that's something to consider....
I don't think the flexible OLEDs will hit market till early 2014.
The verge had an article about it yesterday, their sources are pretty solid.

I really liked the Note II as well (check out my review for more in depth), the size is something you have to keep an eye on.

Closed Thread