HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dal-nj

Old
12-12-2012, 04:17 PM
capitalsrock

vCash: 500
Dal-nj

Dallas: Jack Campbell

New Jersey: Jon Merrill

Dallas has no room for Campbell in goal and I don't think he would mind waiting 2 years for Brodeur and Hedberg. Campbell as the starter and Wedgewood as backup.

New Jersey has room to lose 1 defensive prospect and get a great replacement for Brodeur. Dallas doesn't have the most amazing blue line and IMO is their biggest weakness, so bringing in Merrill and losing your 3rd goalie, considering Lehtonen/Bachman is amazing, isn't a huge loss.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Parise9Crosby87

i would do it but i think dallas would want more

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:23 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
i would do it but i think dallas would want more
He doesn't exactly have the same value that he used to have being an 11th overall pick or whatever it was but I still think he would be a good starting goaltender. Want me to throw in Josefson or a pick?

Old
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Brodeur

Until we know more about Merrill's recovery from his neck injury, it's tough to gauge his value.

I wouldn't say that Dallas has no room for Campbell at this point as it is only his first pro year. Goaltenders can take awhile to develop. Jacob Markstrom has been amongst the best goalie prospects since being drafted in 2008. But he might not be a full time NHLer until Opening Night 2013.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Whytethunder

Dallas wants that competition between goalies. Sure we have a bit of logjam at the moment but the make or break time is coming for a few prospects like Besko. The Stars will choose between 28 year old Cristopher Nilstorp 's short term value vs the 25 year old Bachman. Kari is the guy for at least 3 years. Campbell will cook and be given plenty of time to mature, which he needs. He will learn under one of the best goalie coaches in the league in Mike Valley. Jack has split opinons of fans but I for one don't think GM Joe quits early on his only real blue chip prospect.

Whytethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
No thanks

Not trading Merrill for anything short of a Top 6 Forward

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Dallas: Jack Campbell

New Jersey: Jon Merrill

Dallas has no room for Campbell in goal and I don't think he would mind waiting 2 years for Brodeur and Hedberg. Campbell as the starter and Wedgewood as backup.

New Jersey has room to lose 1 defensive prospect and get a great replacement for Brodeur. Dallas doesn't have the most amazing blue line and IMO is their biggest weakness, so bringing in Merrill and losing your 3rd goalie, considering Lehtonen/Bachman is amazing, isn't a huge loss.
Devils don't have room for Campbell at this point, and it doesn't make sense to give up our best defensive prospect right now.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Devils don't have room for Campbell at this point, and it doesn't make sense to give up our best defensive prospect right now.
We'll see in two years than since you would rather have a defensive prospect than a goalie prospect. Doesn't make sense for a team like the devils but if you say so. And for god's sake don't tell me they already have a #1 goalie who will be ready in 2 years already in their system because they don't. I can't see a starting young franchise goalie, like the devils need, just magically appearing in their lap. So, tell me if you're not going to trade a defensive prospect and I'm positive the devils aren't looking to give away forwards than how are they going to get a goalie in for their future after Brodeur?

Old
12-12-2012, 07:01 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
No thanks

Not trading Merrill for anything short of a Top 6 Forward
I'd rather have a goalie than a winger IMO.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
We'll see in two years than since you would rather have a defensive prospect than a goalie prospect. Doesn't make sense for a team like the devils but if you say so. And for god's sake don't tell me they already have a #1 goalie who will be ready in 2 years already in their system because they don't. I can't see a starting young franchise goalie, like the devils need, just magically appearing in their lap. So, tell me if you're not going to trade a defensive prospect and I'm positive the devils aren't looking to give away forwards than how are they going to get a goalie in for their future after Brodeur?
Wedgewood

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
So, tell me if you're not going to trade a defensive prospect and I'm positive the devils aren't looking to give away forwards than how are they going to get a goalie in for their future after Brodeur?
It'd be nice to have an up and coming goalie ready when Brodeur retires, but having a goalie in his early 20s isn't the only option as the heir apparent.

Detroit's been highly competitive over the last 15+ years and haven't had a true blue chip goalie prospect.

The level of goaltending has risen dramatically. It's getting to the point where proven guys like Evgeni Nabokov and Tomas Vokoun didn't get huge offers in their recent forays into free agency. It wouldn't be too surprising to see a few decent free agent goalies hit the open market after Brodeur hypothetically retires in 2014.

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...G&fa_type_id=2

That summer you have a bevy of guys potentially hitting UFA: Lundqvist, Miller, Hiller, Kiprusoff, Halak, Elliott. Obviously not all of those guys will hit the market. By 2014, who knows which current prospects may have supplanted some current starting goalies.

With free agency at 27 (assuming no change in future CBA), there might be some high level backups available in the trade market. The Devils might feel better about acquiring a guy with NHL experience rather than pinning their hopes on a prospect.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:37 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
So, tell me if you're not going to trade a defensive prospect and I'm positive the devils aren't looking to give away forwards than how are they going to get a goalie in for their future after Brodeur?
Defense and goaltending biggest assets for New Jersey Devils’ prospect pool

We'll pass on the offer.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
No.

I'm not saying that, but at this point they have Wedgewood and Kinkaid whose playing out of his ****ing mind in Albany. The Devils don't need another goalie until 2014-2015. The idea is that one of Wedgewood or Kinkaid play in the NHL, probably with a stop-gap option in the UFA market to play in a tandem with them.

Sure, Campbell may be a better goalie prospect than Wedgewood or Kinkaid, but goalie prospects are very, very hard to judge. Combine that with the fact that Merrill is our BEST defensive prospect, and our defense isn't young aside from Larsson and Fayne. Makes no sense to give him up for goaltending.

Come mid season 2013-2014, the Devils may do this trade, but right now there's no sense in it.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:41 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
The Stars are actually very thin when it comes to goaltending prospects. Beskorowany is failing and having to repeat the ECHL, Lagacé is an undrafted longshot and Kiviaho is many years away. Nilstorp is not really a prospect and is a UFA after this season. Campbell himself is multiple years away from being ready, if he ever will be. With Lehtonen and Bachman in the fold the Stars can afford to wait and see if he reaches his potential or not.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Wedgewood
The same Wedgewood that is currently struggling in the ECHL?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
The same Wedgewood that is currently struggling in the ECHL?
He's had some amazing games and crappy ones, if I'm not wrong, his stats are reflective on the team moreso than himself.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
He's had some amazing games and crappy ones, if I'm not wrong, his stats are reflective on the team moreso than himself.
Regardless, I found it a bit crazy to proclaim Wedgewood the Devils goaltender of the future.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Regardless, I found it a bit crazy to proclaim Wedgewood the Devils goaltender of the future.
The same way it's crazy to say that he won't be because he is struggling in his first season outside of juniors?

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Dangles78

Potential #1 goalie with a good attitude for a potential #1 defenseman with a bad attitude

I'd take it if I were NJ

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:04 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
It's pretty telling that the only legitimate criticisms people seem to have about Jon Merrill is his off-ice incidents.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:29 PM
kiwidevil

Kinkaid is looking good too. Also it's not too hard to find good goalies around these days.

kiwidevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:32 PM
TrillMike

You guys have to remember that Kari Lehtonen's contract only has a NTC for the first 3 years. Jack is still 20 years old. Goalies usually take a lot longer to develop. I don't think Dallas does this.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:43 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Wedgewood
Read the above part of the post because there is no way in hell Wedgewood is going to be an NHL starter ready to carry the load that Brodeur is leaving for him.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:47 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Those are there biggest assets because they have nothing on offense, not because they are good assets.

I can see it now...

Wedgewood being backed up by Kinkaid who will apparently be the goaltending tandem for New Jersey in two years.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:49 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Potential #1 goalie with a good attitude for a potential #1 defenseman with a bad attitude

I'd take it if I were NJ
I wouldn't say he's a potential #1 defenseman