HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports III

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 03:26 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If the other team doesn't take him back, the rule 5 guy has to stay on the 40-man roster all year, a la Ryan Flaherty last season.

That's the one thing I don't like about the pickup.
Its not that he has to stay. They have to offer him back to original club, but if they dont want him back, he can make it to the minors. I think. It's like reverse re-entry waivers with the original team....or something.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
If the other team doesn't take him back, the rule 5 guy has to stay on the 40-man roster all year, a la Ryan Flaherty last season.

That's the one thing I don't like about the pickup.
I was under the same impression as strungout. If you don't keep him on the 25-man roster all year, you have to offer him back to his original team. If his original team doesn't take him back, you're free to send him to the minors. You only have to keep him on the 25-man if you don't want his previous team to get a chance to reclaim him.

Last edited by Mystlyfe: 12-06-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: corrected.
Old
12-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Langway
Intangibles

It's the 25-man roster the player has to stay on...the 40-man would be a lot easier to pull off. The original club gets a shot at the player if sent down but they don't have to take them back so in theory McFarland could be available in AAA for them if (assuming he has options left and MIN doesn't want him back). Considering he wasn't on MIN's 40-man it's hard to say how likely he'd be taken back...it probably depends on ST performance. If he stinks and MIN doesn't want him they can send him to AAA or DFA him to free up the 40-man spot.

I don't think the O's really have the ammo to trade for the bat they're looking for. Not unless they're willing to take on $$$ and history says fat chance. I'd expect another Valencia type addition or similar value signing or two.

Last edited by Langway: 12-06-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 09:46 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

And that's what happens when you always turn off the Rule 5 draft when you play OOTP--you're recollection of the rules goes by the wayside.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I don't think the O's really have the ammo to trade for the bat they're looking for. Not unless they're willing to take on $$$ and history says fat chance. I'd expect another Valencia type addition or similar value signing or two.
They do have the ammo (Machado, Bundy, Gausman), but they're wise enough to know not to spend it.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yeah, there's ammo it's just not on the table. (Although Gausman as a PTBNL isn't necessarily a terrible idea depending on the deal.) It remains a thin system in the way of somewhat expendable pieces. It's going to take a while longer for DD to beef up overall org. depth, if he can. Had the 'calvery' developed further to this point it would likely be a different story. Then again others like Gonzalez and Steve Johnson may not have stepped up in their absence to begin with.

They're on the right path as a franchise but I'm not sure how much better they can get. Just how good Machado & Bundy are will be key.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Machado and Bundy are the key.

Though, I do think they're as much tied to the continued success of Chris Davis as they are anything else. If he reverts to the player who couldn't hit a beach ball, they're cooked.

I also think at some point, you might look to move Hardy for some parts, whether that's futures, or even, another player they might not want to move.

Their talent pool is so thin, that I think at some stage, if it isn't going well, it might be best to take a step back to add more.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Cush
-inator

Another JaVale classic

Old
12-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Reynolds to the Indians for 1-year, $6M. What excuse do the O's have for not signing him at that price? They better land a 1B/DH upgrade.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:04 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Reynolds to the Indians for 1-year, $6M. What excuse do the O's have for not signing him at that price? They better land a 1B/DH upgrade.
Well...its going to end up being $7.5 with the plate appearance bonus...but yeah, I dont like that they didn't even attempt to get in on him at that price. I guess the non tender kinda set that bridge on fire or something.

I like the idea of Davis playing first and being in the lineup everyday...while he might not have the glove Reynolds had over there, he should be an ok option. I still would have rather had Reynolds over there and Davis as the DH, but whatever. We'll see what they do.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I get the feeling that Reynolds will be the type of player to light us up when we play against the Tribe.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
The Washington Wizards turned down a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder for James Harden this summer because team owner Ted Leonsis was unwilling to commit to what would have been a roughly $80 million, five-year contract for the high-scoring player, according to multiple people with knowledge of the proposed deal.

The Wizards would have sent rookie guard Bradley Beal and second-year forward Chris Singleton to the Thunder in return for Harden, winner of the NBA’s sixth-man award with Oklahoma City last season, according to these individuals, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the proposal.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...22d_story.html

For the love of...

Old
12-11-2012, 08:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post

And reading the article further, it seems the Ariza/Okafor deal was a major contributor to this, since they'd have been over the luxury tax.

Epic failure on both EG and Ted.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:31 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:

And reading the article further, it seems the Ariza/Okafor deal was a major contributor to this, since they'd have been over the luxury tax.

Epic failure on both EG and Ted.
That Ariza/Okafor deal was **** from the start...this little nugget on Harden just makes it that much worse.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I'm one of the few that likes Bradley Beal. I think he needs to work a ton on his shot, but I think he has potential.

I'm a fan of Harden, but that type of money for him was a bit expensive. Especially when the club needs more than just Harden.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
That Ariza/Okafor deal was **** from the start...this little nugget on Harden just makes it that much worse.
Yep. I didn't think EG's failure in that deal would come back to bite him as quickly as it did, but I was wrong.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I'm one of the few that likes Bradley Beal. I think he needs to work a ton on his shot, but I think he has potential.

I'm a fan of Harden, but that type of money for him was a bit expensive. Especially when the club needs more than just Harden.
I'm a big Bradley Beal guy. I think he can be an all-star level player in time. The type of player he is just takes a bit longer to develop. You don't see many teenage 2's that aren't slasher producing particularly well, especially when playing with D-league level point guards.

But Harden is already an all-star level player, and potentially a franchise player. He's exactly what the Wizards needed-a go-to efficient scorer. He'd have done wonders for Wall's game as well.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Capitlols

I was never high on Beal, for a guy that's been touted for his shot he sure does miss a lot of open shots. I do like his character though.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:20 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
I was never high on Beal, for a guy that's been touted for his shot he sure does miss a lot of open shots. I do like his character though.
Parallels his Freshmen year in the NCAA where he struggled the first half of the season but came on the 2nd half so that is what I am sort of waiting to see.

12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Ovechkin

2012: The year that Leonsis gets exposed!

Taking shots at the post and reporter Michael Lee now on his propaganda blog/the Harden trade debacle/Wizards being virtually unwatchable/Capitals being literally unwatchable/Wizards tickets costing less than a vending machine soda/extending a proven failed gm in Grunfailure/lying to the fans about John Wall's return date in order to sling more tickets/yet another season where the Caps get bounced by the second round/censoring his blog of critical comments up until pretty much all comments are not positive.

The Wizards are quickly becoming the AOL of the NBA.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:12 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin View Post
2012: The year that Leonsis gets exposed!

Taking shots at the post and reporter Michael Lee now on his propaganda blog/the Harden trade debacle/Wizards being virtually unwatchable/Capitals being literally unwatchable/Wizards tickets costing less than a vending machine soda/extending a proven failed gm in Grunfailure/lying to the fans about John Wall's return date in order to sling more tickets/yet another season where the Caps get bounced by the second round/censoring his blog of critical comments up until pretty much all comments are not positive.

The Wizards are quickly becoming the AOL of the NBA.
Definitely a bad year for Leonsis. Doesn't he own the dreadful WNBA team or is that someone else.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So the Wizards still suck, but Beal has looked a lot better over the last half-dozen games.

Still not shooting particularly well, but the light seems to be coming on, and he's being much more aggressive.

If Wall ever comes back, they actually have the makings of a good back court.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:55 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

JaVale McGee is 7th in the NBA in PER, even last year he was ahead of Wall

12-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Capitlols

I really think Ernie Grunfeld is a worse GM than what Vinny Cerrato was.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:00 AM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Redskins and Ravens both poised to host playoff games, just like the O's and Nats, in 2 sports with over 40 years of labor peace combined. Meanwhile the NHL has missed 2.5 seasons over a span in which MLB and NFL missed a combined 1 exhibition game, and as a Caps fan for 25 years all I know is excruciating playoff choke jobs. Ignoring the fact that no one seems to follow the league even when they're playing, there's just not much reason to be a Caps fan in 11 or so months when they come back.

Closed Thread