HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Favorites for the 2012-2013 Calder Cup?

Old
12-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

vCash: 500
Insert favorite team is gonna win it all.

Seriously you guys are gonna ignore what Syracuse has done? Team is insane.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:33 PM
FlaggerX

The Springfield Falcons don't seem to be slowing any. Maybe it is time to start taking them seriously.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post

Last year, sure. This year they're 3-7 against teams over .500. A good team, but a tad overrated.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:37 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post

Are you talking about Syracuse, or last year's Norfolk club?

Because I don't know about insane, maybe I've watched too much AHL hockey for a lifetime, but Syracuse is just off to a good start from what I see.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:33 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Are you talking about Syracuse, or last year's Norfolk club?

Because I don't know about insane, maybe I've watched too much AHL hockey for a lifetime, but Syracuse is just off to a good start from what I see.
They're very good but so overrated. Last years Norfolk team they are not. They can't beat good teams consistently. At least not yet.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:33 AM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
They're very good but so overrated. Last years Norfolk team they are not. They can't beat good teams consistently. At least not yet.
Neither could last years Norfolk club, we saw what happened there.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Alivesi

vCash: 133
Quote:
They'll beat the good teams consistently when it matters in the playoffs just like last years team

Alivesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:53 AM
sabrefan27

Why. because they did last year? Different season, some players gone and a more talented league.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:04 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Syracuse overrated? 14-6-1-2 and they've been playin at about 75% with a pile of injuries. I'll admit i'm not as confident in goaltending this year.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:14 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Syracuse overrated? 14-6-1-2 and they've been playin at about 75% with a pile of injuries. I'll admit i'm not as confident in goaltending this year.
Yes, overrated. That doesn't mean they aren't still an excellent team. But people still have these thoughts and expectations like they are Norfolk from last February-May.

They're a Calder Cup contender, I was just pointing out their pedestrian record against teams over .500 this season. Now 4-7 after tonight's victory over Binghamton.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:35 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Yes, overrated. That doesn't mean they aren't still an excellent team. But people still have these thoughts and expectations like they are Norfolk from last February-May.

They're a Calder Cup contender, I was just pointing out their pedestrian record against teams over .500 this season. Now 4-7 after tonight's victory over Binghamton.
I'll give you that, its the stat now, but its a small sample size. I think they're about right on par for what they are, with a slight chance for improvement.

I won't lie, i'm loving the **** out of this right now, the AHL is so much fun to watch.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:54 AM
topshelf15

Quote:

A one goal victory with two of bingo,s top 4 dmen and two of their top 6 out of the lineup

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Figured I'd give this thread a little bump. Now that the NHL season is only weeks away and teams will no longer have some of their top prospects in their AHL affiliate, does this change who the favorites are, and which teams does this benefit/hurt?

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Govment Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Figured I'd give this thread a little bump. Now that the NHL season is only weeks away and teams will no longer have some of their top prospects in their AHL affiliate, does this change who the favorites are, and which teams does this benefit/hurt?
Too early to tell who loses what players to the NHL and what affect the losses will have on the AHL teams chemistry.

Govment Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Alistar

It seems to me that the Texas Stars are keeping the large majority of their players on an already strong team - likely the only two players that will be leaving right away are Cody Eakin and Brendan Dillon. At the very least the other three strong teams in the division will be taking much larger hits which makes Texas the favorites to finish first and have a strong position in the playoffs.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:31 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Things certainly are going to get a tad discombobulated with the exodus of NHLers in the next week or so.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Milwaukee will lose at least 2 players to Nashville. It could be as many as 4.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
sabrefan27

The Amerks are a team to watch in the second half. I don't know if they're a legitimate contender yet, but keep an eye on them. They may be one of the few teams who got better after the lockout. They lost Hodgson, Foligno and Brennan, but have added Adam Pardy, Patrick Rissmiller and Matt Ellis since then as well. They've won 9 of 11 and are already the highest scoring team in the league. Defense was the weakness (dead last at one point) but since Pardy came down, the defense is like a totally different unit.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

With Tampa not likely to make the playoffs, Syracuse have to be a strong favorite to "repeat".

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:21 PM
FlaggerX

if they Jackets don't make the playoffs, think about all the NHL people who are real contributors in Columbus Springfield will get back: Johansen, Atkinson, Calvert, Erixon, Moore, Prout. The Falcons will be in good shape.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:30 PM
fordaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
With Tampa not likely to make the playoffs, Syracuse have to be a strong favorite to "repeat".
2-0 since Boucher was fired, Crunch 0-3...Doubt Conacher and Labrie make clear day roster, and Tampa is still in the fight.

On another note, Norfolk has righted the ship (see what I did there), and Yawney has the Ducklings playing solid hockey, and I believe they're 2nd or 3rd in pts since the NHL resumed. Don't count them out if they manage to pull a weekend sweep of Bingo. Granted 5 of the their last 9 games come against three of the top 4 teams in the conference, and 4 against teams they are immediately fighting for a playoff spot with. If the Admirals make it in, not as a homer pick, but I expect them to make a run at it.

fordaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordaith View Post
2-0 since Boucher was fired, Crunch 0-3...Doubt Conacher and Labrie make clear day roster, and Tampa is still in the fight.
I believe the "clear day roster" factor was removed in the new CBA.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:10 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Marlies need much more consideration in this thread.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Legendary

vCash: 3073
Yeah I'm bumping this.
I could almost quote this entire last page witn gold quotes about how Syracuse is over rated

Yes I realise all of those quotes are from when the Lockout was still in effect but still.
It has to make you wonder if Syracuse would still be in the position they are in now if the Lockout had not ended. As a Lightniong/Crunch fan I wonder if Conacher and Tokarski would still Crunch.

The other thing this therad had (or did not have) is anyone mention Grand Rapids as a contender. I wonder if the end of the Lockout gave them that much help or if people really undersestimated them and their chances? The next couple weeks should make for some great Hockey between those 2 teams.

Xenophobia Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
Yeah I'm bumping this.
I could almost quote this entire last page witn gold quotes about how Syracuse is over rated

Yes I realise all of those quotes are from when the Lockout was still in effect but still.
It has to make you wonder if Syracuse would still be in the position they are in now if the Lockout had not ended. As a Lightniong/Crunch fan I wonder if Conacher and Tokarski would still Crunch.

The other thing this therad had (or did not have) is anyone mention Grand Rapids as a contender. I wonder if the end of the Lockout gave them that much help or if people really undersestimated them and their chances? The next couple weeks should make for some great Hockey between those 2 teams.
Thought they would be strong contender this year, but that had some homer biases. The NHL lockout didn't hurt them all that bad, really Mrazek being able to take the job gave them the goaltending they had been missing. They made good vet signings and have a good blend of talent and speed all over the place. Blashill has been a great coach as well this year.

They have the horses to compete with favorite Syracuse, but their work is cut out for them. Games should have tremendous pace though and Grand Rapids is here with the youngest roster in the AHL when you sort on Eliteprospects, pretty impressive, they have just gotten continuously better as the season went on and with Lashoff, Nyquist, Andersson, and DeKeyser all returned with the Wings out they sport a loaded roster these days.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote