Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Belleville Bulls 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Scimitars of Drizzt
New York Rangers!

vCash: 500
Decent game against the Pete's last night. J. Cramarossa had a solid game, notching a goal and 2 assists. Subban and Berisha each had a couple points. They started the game extremely sloppy, didn't even finish that great. It wasn't a great performance overall by the Bulls, they were probably lucky the Pete's were their opponents on this night, but they got the win regardless.

Looking forward to their game against Kitchener Friday.

Zharkov was also back in the lineup and looking great if anyone was wondering.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Renegader

Power play still dreadful against a bad Petes team. Zharkov playing on the 4th line. What the heck? Malcolm solid as usual. 3rd period was exciting and overtime was too. First 2 periods were snorefests.

Crammer playing some good hockey the last few games though. Good to see!

Old
12-06-2012, 10:49 PM
jdan1997

Does anybody know where I can watch the Kitchener/Owen Sound games? Really looking forward to them, especially Owen Sound, considering how they're doing this year. I know I can get the OHL package but sadly don't have the money..

Old
12-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Parksy

Zharkov was prolly just thrown on the 4th line because he was just coming off injury. Not sure what the injury was but he looked like his usual self.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Renegader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdan1997 View Post
Does anybody know where I can watch the Kitchener/Owen Sound games? Really looking forward to them, especially Owen Sound, considering how they're doing this year. I know I can get the OHL package but sadly don't have the money..
Apart from having Cogeco cable at your home in Belleville, the only place you could watch it is at Crabby Joe's in Belleville. Or the local cable companies in Kitchener/Owen Sound.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:16 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
Zharkov was prolly just thrown on the 4th line because he was just coming off injury. Not sure what the injury was but he looked like his usual self.
Zharkov started with 4rth line but soon enough was playing with Kuptsov and Petti again. Penalties and Power Plays generally throw off lines as well. He also played in OT and I thought looked quite interested in playing and showed good strength on his shots so I'm sure the extent of his injury. But isn't he off to WJC Camp next week?

Old
12-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Renegader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Zharkov started with 4rth line but soon enough was playing with Kuptsov and Petti again. Penalties and Power Plays generally throw off lines as well. He also played in OT and I thought looked quite interested in playing and showed good strength on his shots so I'm sure the extent of his injury. But isn't he off to WJC Camp next week?
Yes he is.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:54 PM
ohlnhockeynut

What a great weekend for the BULLS!!! finally some older players were given the ice they deserved and they showed they can produce when actually given a change... Kupstov, Hooey, Sandlak scored 5 of the bulls 7 goals on the road trip; ya think they might deserve a little pp time now coach? I believe 19 and 16 were sat in Owen Sound, and it looked like they came out with more heart/intensity after that, i think they needed that... should be firing on all cylinders now bulls fans look out

Old
12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
ImaBullsfan

ok, yes it was a great weekend for the guys, BUT lets get back down to reality, the rangers were missing 6 of there players, 3 of them are top end players. Sat night, they played good and it was the Hooey Graham show. Mark my words George wont stay pat, expect at least 2 deals before the deadline. A play maker and a proven playoff performer. One rumour that started last week when the petes were in town, was that george was seen talking to Mike pelino before the game. (Alan Quine would look good in a bulls uni!) Its just not georges style to go after a big name near the deadline. I dont think he has the bulls(balls) to do so.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Renegader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
ok, yes it was a great weekend for the guys, BUT lets get back down to reality, the rangers were missing 6 of there players, 3 of them are top end players. Sat night, they played good and it was the Hooey Graham show. Mark my words George wont stay pat, expect at least 2 deals before the deadline. A play maker and a proven playoff performer. One rumour that started last week when the petes were in town, was that george was seen talking to Mike pelino before the game. (Alan Quine would look good in a bulls uni!) Its just not georges style to go after a big name near the deadline. I dont think he has the bulls(balls) to do so.
Doesn't matter. They still picked up the 4 points... on the road. A great weekend.

Now that Malcolm is gone for the next little while to the WJC, it will be interesting to see how Charlie Graham can pick up the slack. If Saturday night was any indication, the Bulls should be ok. They need to continue to play the sound defence they've been playing all year and continue the goal scoring "surge" from this weekend.

Good luck to Malcolm at the WJC camp. Show Canada what we already know in Belleville. You ARE the number 1 goalie in the CHL!

Old
12-10-2012, 02:05 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegader View Post
Doesn't matter. They still picked up the 4 points... on the road. A great weekend.

Now that Malcolm is gone for the next little while to the WJC, it will be interesting to see how Charlie Graham can pick up the slack. If Saturday night was any indication, the Bulls should be ok. They need to continue to play the sound defence they've been playing all year and continue the goal scoring "surge" from this weekend.

Good luck to Malcolm at the WJC camp. Show Canada what we already know in Belleville. You ARE the number 1 goalie in the CHL!
When you play that super defensive style and allow perimeter shots as much as possible, you stand a chance of winning any game. Graham did well and will continue to benefit from that overall super defensive support.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Bulls need scoring, they cannot go far enough riding on Malcolm's shoulders. Let's be real, their forwards are not very talented. They probably wouldn't have to mortgage the farm if Mississauga would be sellers which is a possibility and would send them Brace + Smoskowitz, 2 good offensive players to go with the solid defence + goaltending that they already have. They would have to let 1 OA go which in my mind would clearly be Silas.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
ohlnhockeynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Bulls need scoring, they cannot go far enough riding on Malcolm's shoulders. Let's be real, their forwards are not very talented. They probably wouldn't have to mortgage the farm if Mississauga would be sellers which is a possibility and would send them Brace + Smoskowitz, 2 good offensive players to go with the solid defence + goaltending that they already have. They would have to let 1 OA go which in my mind would clearly be Silas.
Good point, but the OAs are definitely set, you know with your heart George will be loyal to them even though I agree with you I dont think he'll change them. Hope im wrong though because they do have a chance to make a run if they get some forwards like those players you mentioned

Old
12-10-2012, 03:53 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlnhockeynut View Post
Good point, but the OAs are definitely set, you know with your heart George will be loyal to them even though I agree with you I dont think he'll change them. Hope im wrong though because they do have a chance to make a run if they get some forwards like those players you mentioned
This team is not riding the back of Subban to win them games, they're riding the back of a stifling defensive system that earned Charlie Graham first star honours the other night. You could dress Jordan Subban in net and they'd still probably win the game. As for defense, this team is clearly NOT very deep at that position once you pass Jordan and Austin. Cardwell is also good but more so in an offensive role. The system is winning them games, that's why George sticks with it year in, year out. So bringing in new players to try and increase goal production while playing the same stifling defensive style just won't work. It's going to require a rethink on Coaching style and is probably why some have been calling for a coaching change for years. Unfortunately nothing will probably change so this will be the same old, same old for the foreseeable future.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
This team is not riding the back of Subban to win them games, they're riding the back of a stifling defensive system that earned Charlie Graham first star honours the other night. You could dress Jordan Subban in net and they'd still probably win the game. As for defense, this team is clearly NOT very deep at that position once you pass Jordan and Austin. Cardwell is also good but more so in an offensive role. The system is winning them games, that's why George sticks with it year in, year out. So bringing in new players to try and increase goal production while playing the same stifling defensive style just won't work. It's going to require a rethink on Coaching style and is probably why some have been calling for a coaching change for years. Unfortunately nothing will probably change so this will be the same old, same old for the foreseeable future.
I'd like to see Graham play all the games then. If they don't score more. they will not go anywhere.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Renegader

Quote:
This team is not riding the back of Subban to win them games, they're riding the back of a stifling defensive system that earned Charlie Graham first star honours the other night. You could dress Jordan Subban in net and they'd still probably win the game.
Really? So the fact that Graham had over 40 shots in that game speaks to this great defensive system? I agree that the Bulls have a very good defensive system, but let's get back to reality. Malcolm Subban is the reason they are doing as well as they are. As simple as that. He's been named first star more times than I can remember and there's a good reason for that. His play has been stellar. He's been invited to the WJC camp this week because of his extraordinary play. Not because of a defensive system.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:39 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Really? So the fact that Graham had over 40 shots in that game speaks to this great defensive system? I agree that the Bulls have a very good defensive system, but let's get back to reality. Malcolm Subban is the reason they are doing as well as they are. As simple as that. He's been named first star more times than I can remember and there's a good reason for that. His play has been stellar. He's been invited to the WJC camp this week because of his extraordinary play. Not because of a defensive system.
Really? Count the scoring chances in the game and see where the bulk of the shots are coming from. And as for Charlie, he hasn't played many games but this isn't his first star of the game and I believe he's already posted a shutout if I'm not mistaken. So, either Charlie is a bonafide star goalie already or somehow he's a good solid goalie riding the success of a strong defensive game. Let's not forget the Oilers and Grant Fuhr days where the wheeled and scored lots of goals in a wide open game. Fuhr let in quite the fair share of goals and was thought of as one of the best goalies of his time, yet his #'s would say the contrary. Put him in New Jersey with their style of play, especially the Stevens/Danyko days and see what his #'s would be. Malcolm is a great goalie but I still maintain that the 'System' is what's providing the main part of the success. We'll see what happens now with a Rookie goaltender who's had very little action all year and how he responds with all these games and pressure being thrown his way. If he plays .500 I'd consider that amazing given his age and relative lack of games in the OHL (14 to date for his career). This much I know, if the Bulls don't stay out of the box this will be the start of a free fall as statistically you can't maintain those PK #'s forever.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:18 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Really? Count the scoring chances in the game and see where the bulk of the shots are coming from. And as for Charlie, he hasn't played many games but this isn't his first star of the game and I believe he's already posted a shutout if I'm not mistaken. So, either Charlie is a bonafide star goalie already or somehow he's a good solid goalie riding the success of a strong defensive game. Let's not forget the Oilers and Grant Fuhr days where the wheeled and scored lots of goals in a wide open game. Fuhr let in quite the fair share of goals and was thought of as one of the best goalies of his time, yet his #'s would say the contrary. Put him in New Jersey with their style of play, especially the Stevens/Danyko days and see what his #'s would be. Malcolm is a great goalie but I still maintain that the 'System' is what's providing the main part of the success. We'll see what happens now with a Rookie goaltender who's had very little action all year and how he responds with all these games and pressure being thrown his way. If he plays .500 I'd consider that amazing given his age and relative lack of games in the OHL (14 to date for his career). This much I know, if the Bulls don't stay out of the box this will be the start of a free fall as statistically you can't maintain those PK #'s forever.
Charlie just had another shutout and another win. I'm happy for him to be honest and the team will need to develop him as much as possible as it's 99% for certain Malcolm won't be around next year. Like I said, Defense wins games and love it or hate it the Bulls will always be one of the top 2-3 defensive teams in the League. Might be crazy boring for Fans, painful for skilled forwards and offensive D-men, but it's getting W's up on the board.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Renegader

Quote:
Charlie just had another shutout and another win. I'm happy for him to be honest and the team will need to develop him as much as possible as it's 99% for certain Malcolm won't be around next year. Like I said, Defense wins games and love it or hate it the Bulls will always be one of the top 2-3 defensive teams in the League. Might be crazy boring for Fans, painful for skilled forwards and offensive D-men, but it's getting W's up on the board.
I still don't see how this proves your point about the goaltending. Charlie had 15 shots against (with all due respect) a not very good Ottawa team who was missing its two best offensive players. Yes the defense was great again but it's unfortunate you're not giving Malcolm a lot of credit that's all.

On a related note, it looks like Malcolm so far has not had a great WJC camp. He'll more than likely still be one of the 3 goalies taken but he may not be the starter anymore. Too bad that a couple of bad days may be the result of this.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
I still don't see how this proves your point about the goaltending. Charlie had 15 shots against (with all due respect) a not very good Ottawa team who was missing its two best offensive players. Yes the defense was great again but it's unfortunate you're not giving Malcolm a lot of credit that's all.

On a related note, it looks like Malcolm so far has not had a great WJC camp. He'll more than likely still be one of the 3 goalies taken but he may not be the starter anymore. Too bad that a couple of bad days may be the result of this.
Malcolm is absolutely a stud of a goalie and never did I say he wasn't, but every goalie's numbers would benefit greatly from a team and system like George Burnett has in place since it limits actual scoring chances. And if teams want to try and shoot from the perimeter they can do that all night long as it's rare to score from there. My point still is that Defense wins games and the Bulls can play Defense better than any team in the league. I won't get into whether that makes for boring hockey or how it stifles creativity and offense as that's been covered many times. But I do think when you have a goalie like Malcolm you actually can open up the game much more and use your big ice surface, actually allow more creativity and pressure and really have a great game to watch. There's lots of space on that sheet of ice to wheel and play some fast flowing hockey and with a great goalie and a team that still has that much Defensive awareness I think it would work.

As for Malcolm at the WJC, one or two games shouldn't kill him as they all know what he's capable of and done all season long. Add in that he's best suited to play on that big ice surface and won't have to adjust to those angles like the other goalies will and he'll make it.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
mapleleaf979

Malcolm has done enough for the coaches to know what he brings in the past 2 years. They wont judge him on a couple games where he didnt play his best. I think those games are in the past now and forgotten. Malcolm was excellent at the russia-canada subway challenge. Malcolm also has a .932 save percentage with the Bulls this year, .923 last year. I think Jake Patterson will be the odd man out.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:23 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Malcolm has done enough for the coaches to know what he brings in the past 2 years. They wont judge him on a couple games where he didnt play his best. I think those games are in the past now and forgotten. Malcolm was excellent at the russia-canada subway challenge. Malcolm also has a .932 save percentage with the Bulls this year, .923 last year. I think Jake Patterson will be the odd man out.
I think the 19 year old goalie from out west is the odd man out
Subban and Biddington the 2 main with an 18 year old Patterson if neccessary
Btw I would switch the guy from out west if he and Patterson were 18 and 19,nothing to do with League association,let the 18 year old up and coming experience instead of a 19 year old who might not play

Old
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Renegader

Quote:
But I do think when you have a goalie like Malcolm you actually can open up the game much more and use your big ice surface, actually allow more creativity and pressure and really have a great game to watch. There's lots of space on that sheet of ice to wheel and play some fast flowing hockey and with a great goalie and a team that still has that much Defensive awareness I think it would work.
Agree a million times over. And this is what was promised from George at the beginning of the year. Save for a few short bursts during games, I have yet to see that this year. Take some chances. Malcolm will bail you out. He's an amazing goalie one on one particularly. His shootout numbers can attest to that.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:35 PM
ohlnhockeynut

wow are george's systems terrible, breakout, pp, and trap.... pk is the only creditable system

Old
12-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Lyons89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlnhockeynut View Post
wow are george's systems terrible, breakout, pp, and trap.... pk is the only creditable system

I agree 100% to this. I feel like the bulls get out skated every night and they dont get enough quality scoring opprotunities. We were the lowest scoring team last year and we are far below the ratio this year. its awful to watch. their motto is pack the yard, but why would anyone want to spend their money to watch this....In comparison, Bulls have 1 player to 10 goals. Saginaw has 7 players with 10 goals or more. the lowly erie otters have 4 players with 10 or more goals. This hockey is getting very boring to watch. Fire Burnett

Closed Thread