HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Teemu Hartikainen

Old
08-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
If Gagner ends up progressing and becomes a solid 50-60 point 2nd line center, I wonder if we could see something like in the next few years

Paajarvi - Gagner - Hartikainen
That could be cool. Even though I think Omark and Paajarvi have great chemistry together it would be worth a try, 2 big bodies flanking Gags. Thing is there's no pure finisher on that line but they would probably be relentless in puck pursuit and crashing the crease. MPS would really have to step up for that line to work though, if its actually gonna be a legit threat.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:08 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
That could be cool. Even though I think Omark and Paajarvi have great chemistry together it would be worth a try, 2 big bodies flanking Gags. Thing is there's no pure finisher on that line but they would probably be relentless in puck pursuit and crashing the crease. MPS would really have to step up for that line to work though, if its actually gonna be a legit threat.
I'll bet anyone a donut that we'll see MPS-Lander-Omark on a line together by the end of this season.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'll bet anyone a donut that we'll see MPS-Lander-Omark on a line together by the end of this season.
See it, as in they play two shifts together, or they play ten games together?

I don't think there's a chance they play a whole game together. Omark needs work/help defensively and given the ages of Lander and PRV it's all that can be expected of them to almost hold their own defensively. I don't think they'll be able to be a plus line in the nhl until at least 2013/14 at the earliest.

Looking at the Oilers depth chart where they have Brule slated to center the 4th line, with O'Marra and Van de Velde as backups, I think that Lander is a dark horse to jump into the roster.

Oi'll say! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:05 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

I don't think there's a chance they play a whole game together. Omark needs work/help defensively and given the ages of Lander and PRV it's all that can be expected of them to almost hold their own defensively. I don't think they'll be able to be a plus line in the nhl until at least 2013/14 at the earliest.

Looking at the Oilers depth chart where they have Brule slated to center the 4th line, with O'Marra and Van de Velde as backups, I think that Lander is a dark horse to jump into the roster.
I'll go out on a limb and project that Lander sticks the Oilers roster by year end. I don't know exactly how many games he plays over the course of the season but guessing 10+ is probably reasonable. From there it's only natural to see him on a line with his country-mates MPS and Omark. Lander will be a solid steadying defensive influence between those two which will allow MPS to step up offensively and Lander can be the defensive conscience on that line when Omark goes wandering (maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm expecting Omark to improve his defensive awareness as well).

I feel the combination of Lander's 2-way game and his leadership will have him leapfrogging both Vande Velde and O'Marra. The hard facts are that Vande Velde and O'Marra are both 24... if they haven't made any real impact at the NHL level by now... chances are they are both going to be career AHL level players... and it's probably likely one or both will be with different organizations next year.

Here's the breakdown of the Oiler's organizational "logjam" at centre along with their ages:

Gagner 22
Horcoff 32
Belanger 33
Brule 24

Lander 20
House 25
Hopkins 18
Petrell 27
Vande Velde 24
O'Marra 24
Tyrvainen 22
Kytnar 22
Pitlick 19
Green 33

The wildcard of course is if RNH sticks past the 9 game mark. If he does then that closes up a spot for ANY other centres from the AHL to step up.

The other big factor is the health of Brule. Maybe I'm pessimistic but I doubt he'll ever play a full season again. Having him penciled in as the 4th line centre is logical. I've said it before... in my opinion he is almost a perfect 4th line centre. He has good faceoff skills and hustle and can produce some decent offense along with some decent spark in the hitting department as well. Saying that, I think it's also logical to assume he'll likely miss half the season as well which opens up ~40 games for another centre.

Then when you look at the locks at centre... Horcoff, Gagner and Belanger have averaged 64, 73 and 78 games played per season over the last 4 seasons respectively... and if you assume they will miss similar time again, that frees up another 30+ man games for another "tweener" centre to fill.

I personally think Lander, House and Petrell may get longer looks at centre than O'Marra and Vande Velde simply because they are "new" blood and I'm betting the Oilers will want to see what they can do as injury fill-ins.

Old
08-27-2011, 10:16 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Petrell is actually a winger iirc. I think Brule is our 4th line C until he gets hurt and then Lander will get called up and Brule will end up battling for a spot on the wing. Same thing will happen with Harti. He's going to be the first call up when there's an injury to a winger and he might force Edmonton to make room for him

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:46 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan2354 View Post
Petrell is actually a winger iirc. I think Brule is our 4th line C until he gets hurt and then Lander will get called up and Brule will end up battling for a spot on the wing. Same thing will happen with Harti. He's going to be the first call up when there's an injury to a winger and he might force Edmonton to make room for him
Petrell was listed as a C when the Oilers signed him... http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=564134 and he's listed as a C on their depth charts as well... http://www.capgeek.com/depth_charts.php?team_id=1

Of course Pitlick was also drafted as a C and is listed as a C by the Oilers but he's being developed as a winger in Junior so all the positional depth charts are somewhat fluid.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Ragss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

A poster here was giving his scouting report on Lander (he was swedish, iirc, and had seen him play a lot) and was talking about how Lander is a very defensively minded forward who often almost looked too defensive. Paajarvi, I'll agree, can only be expected to hold his own, but his speed is does bolster his ability to back check. I think this could be a pretty good line.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Did I just see Mario Lemieux's name mentioned for some reason? And Kevin Stevens for that matter. I think everyone needs to just relax and temper things for a moment. Just sit back and watch things unfold as they may. If Hartski turns out to be a fan favourite 4th line banger who can chip in 5-10 goals we should all be happy. Still a lot left to see, long ways to go.
probably good advice. Other than Hall, we have no idea how good, or even what kind, of players most of our prospect will turn out to be. Even with Hall, we don't if he'll be a superstar top 5 player or a star top 10 forward. We might trade MPS for a Maxime Talbot-type or a Mike Green, who knows.

At this stage, there is so much guessing... in the immortal words of the great Fuhrsie: 'let the cards fall where the may'

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Oan

Haven't been really following, so don't know, does this kid still have a chance to become a regular NHL-player? 3rd line, 2nd line?

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:45 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Haven't been really following, so don't know, does this kid still have a chance to become a regular NHL-player? 3rd line, 2nd line?
Short answer: Yes. Outside of the obvious big 4 he has been the Baron's best player.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:48 AM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
He should definitely slot into the Oilers' top 9 as soon as the NHL starts back up again.

He's actually become my favourite prospect this year, and I absolutely love the way he plays.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:50 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

He will be in the NHL when the season starts. Likely in a top 9 role. I'd guess on a line with rnh and ebs.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Hemsky4PM

I imagine the Oilers will try very hard to get a defenseman via trade and the obvious player to move would be Gagner. For Gagner - you should be able to get a good no.4/5 defender. I would target the Islanders, where Gagner's good friend Tavares is in need of something to get excited about.

Hamonic is a pipedream, but what about Calvin da Hann? Would be a nice addition.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:42 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I imagine the Oilers will try very hard to get a defenseman via trade and the obvious player to move would be Gagner. For Gagner - you should be able to get a good no.4/5 defender. I would target the Islanders, where Gagner's good friend Tavares is in need of something to get excited about.

Hamonic is a pipedream, but what about Calvin da Hann? Would be a nice addition.
Who's going to be our 2nd line Center, and please don't say Hall as he has already said if he didn't start out as center this year that he didn't want to switch mid-season.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:02 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:

1) I agree with above poster saying who will be our 2c? and 2) Don't undersell Gagner. That happens way to often here? A #5 d? He is worth a solid #3D at worst. (meaning a guy who is easily a 2nd pairing d-man, that doesn't looking too out of place on a top pairing when filling in for injury)

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
1) I agree with above poster saying who will be our 2c? and 2) Don't undersell Gagner. That happens way to often here? A #5 d? He is worth a solid #3D at worst. (meaning a guy who is easily a 2nd pairing d-man, that doesn't looking too out of place on a top pairing when filling in for injury)
Have to agree, if you are moving him you better damn well be added something you need to this team. Not adding a guy that can be picked up at UFA time for a few mil. That and be prepared to see this

RNH
Horcoff
Belanger
Lander

Old
12-12-2012, 01:25 PM
topchowda

Quote:

Theyd trade Hemsky before Gagner. Stacked at RW, no depth at center

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Have to agree, if you are moving him you better damn well be added something you need to this team. Not adding a guy that can be picked up at UFA time for a few mil. That and be prepared to see this

RNH
Horcoff
Belanger
Lander
dont mind this for half a season if Gagner is packaged for a top pairing Dman.
Hall-Horcoff-(Yakupov\Hemsky) would be a decent enough 2nd line behind
Harti-RNH-Ebs

get a legit #2C with size via trade, free agency or draft (Lazar?) in the offseason.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Loved reading all the old posts on Hartikainen and seeing how far the kid's progressed - but why do we all still want to trade Gagner?
If there's an amnesty clause in the new CBA, wouldn't it be used on Horcoff?
Then we'd have a second line of Hall-Belanger-Hemsky, behind Hartski-RNH-Ebs, behind that, Smyth-Lander-Yakupov and what, Eager-VV-Jones?

That doesn't scream depth. Trade from a position of strength to address a position of weakness. Centre is not our strength.

But let's keep this on Hartski. Woot Hartski at being one of 6 good things in the Barons this year.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Hart is a perfect compliment to RNH. He can be the first guy in on the forecheck, take the body and score goals. I see him as a second line winger, who could score 20+ goals in the near future.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:45 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
dont mind this for half a season if Gagner is packaged for a top pairing Dman.
Hall-Horcoff-(Yakupov\Hemsky) would be a decent enough 2nd line behind
Harti-RNH-Ebs

get a legit #2C with size via trade, free agency or draft (Lazar?) in the offseason.
Sure, I would too. But the poster was talking about getting a #4 or #5.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:57 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Hart is a perfect compliment to RNH. He can be the first guy in on the forecheck, take the body and score goals. I see him as a second line winger, who could score 20+ goals in the near future.
But if RNH was his set up man...

just end this lockout. We'll find out then.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

What a ridiculous idea, IIRC de Haan is gone for the season. He is also a prospect who is not very big and far from a sure thing, Gagner for all his warts is a lock for 40-49 points in a 2nd line role and if all that we can get for him is de Haan then we are better off holding onto him for now. If we are moving Gagner for D it should be for established D or a prospect with a much better pedigree who isn't gone for the season.

12-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Where, in Sweeden? Omark has a contract to honor in the Swiss league.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Where, in Sweeden? Omark has a contract to honor in the Swiss league.
Look at the post date.

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote