HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dal-nj

Old
12-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Read the above part of the post because there is no way in hell Wedgewood is going to be an NHL starter ready to carry the load that Brodeur is leaving for him.
Can I get the Lottery numbers as well ???

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Kinkaid is looking good too. Also it's not too hard to find good goalies around these days.
I completely agree, just ask Toronto

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:52 PM
glenbuis

This is something i would think that Devil's fans would want. Campbell has the potential to be a good one. I think there are only maybe 20 real quality # 1's in the league and having appreciated/benefitted from such quality goaltending thru the years they'ed be looking for someone like Campbell to relieve Brodeur.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:56 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Can I get the Lottery numbers as well ???
No, but you can get the obvious facts that a 3rd round C prospect average AHL goalie is not going to successfully replace Martin Brodeur, A future HOF and probably the best goalie of all time. Devils fans expect that their goaltending situation will be fine because they have never had any problems in the past years and have never had to worry about it. You will realize how much the team relies on Brodeur after he leaves and you put Wedgewood in his place.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Wedge will be just fine. Even if he isnt ready, it is not difficult to find a stop gap. Not worth trading Merrill

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

I'd love to have Campbell on the Leafs. Would Dallas do Scrivens/Rynnas+Colborne? I don't know how much to value a good goaltending prospect, but a one for one would probably make sense for our 2013 1st.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:32 PM
nabby12

lol looking back on it Jack Campbell was such a waste of a draft pick for Dallas.

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
lol looking back on it Jack Campbell was such a waste of a draft pick for Dallas.
How, if Bachman didn't breakout, then Lehtonen would be the starter to Campbell, and then they would trade Lehtonen when Campbell is ready, imo for a good D. The only one I would switch Campbell for one of the people drafted after is Gormley.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
How, if Bachman didn't breakout, then Lehtonen would be the starter to Campbell, and then they would trade Lehtonen when Campbell is ready, imo for a good D. The only one I would switch Campbell for one of the people drafted after is Gormley.
Fowler?
Tarasenko?
Faulk?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:43 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

I don't immediately pass up an offer when I see Merrill as most other Devils fans do...

And I won't immediately proclaim that any of our goaltending prospects are the true future of the team, but at this point... it's too soon to make a move.

I'd rather see how Brodeur & Hedberg get started, how the prospects progress and what the UFA market starts to look like.
2 years can mean a lot for development for the better or for the worse.

If the NHL goalies struggle and the prospects are still progressing slowly, I'd rather see what's available for trade/pick up as a UFA before taking a chance on other goalie prospects and crowding the system more than it already is.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:47 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I like Campbell, but I'd do this from Dallas' POV. Can see why both sides would say no, though.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

We drafted his ass in the first round. We're waiting to see how he pans out, so no deal.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:58 AM
kiwidevil

Quote:
I completely agree, just ask Toronto
Burke is his own worst enemy. Most of the teams in the league have good enough goaltending. Usually it's up to how well a team can play D and the goalie just has to not let in easy ones.

But carry on. . . . . maybe your agenda will be fulfilled.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:57 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Merril is severely injured at the moment. He can't be traded for a F'ton of great reasons.

And for the 10000th time, Devils already know how to deal with bad goaltending. This has been discussed at great length. The Devils were already a playoffs team when Brodeur and his 88%Sv, struggled big time for the first 40 games of last season. NJD is a puck possession system that allows the fewest shots against in the league with St.Louis.

Also, people can keep laughing at Kinkaid all they want, he's one of the best goaltender in a stacked AHL right now. He's showing a constant improvement since he turned professional last year. To put up top 10 stats playing with a team that had one hell of a poor start this season is not that laughable.

Devils are not trading their top prospect (if he was healthy) for a goalie prospect. Suck it up.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:01 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Kinkaid is in a perfect timetable to take over the Devils starting position in 2014-15. He is big and extremely athletic. As of right now he gets out of position a lot by overcompensating to the the shot and losing his angle. Another year and a half of proper goaltender coaching and I can see him being able to start in the NHL.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:46 AM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Merril is severely injured at the moment. He can't be traded for a F'ton of great reasons.

And for the 10000th time, Devils already know how to deal with bad goaltending. This has been discussed at great length. The Devils were already a playoffs team when Brodeur and his 88%Sv, struggled big time for the first 40 games of last season. NJD is a puck possession system that allows the fewest shots against in the league with St.Louis.

Also, people can keep laughing at Kinkaid all they want, he's one of the best goaltender in a stacked AHL right now. He's showing a constant improvement since he turned professional last year. To put up top 10 stats playing with a team that had one hell of a poor start this season is not that laughable.

Devils are not trading their top prospect (if he was healthy) for a goalie prospect. Suck it up.
40 games is different than trusting your team in Kinkaid who has proven in no way that he will be a starter in 2 years. Devils are not going to get by with bad goaltending as seen by how they aren't exactly a powerhouse with the best goalie of all time.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:06 AM
wedge

the best thing for the devils wouldn't be to the a rookie in there to replace Brodeur, but a veteran who can take the pressure.

I remember when Patrick Roy was traded, Jocelyn Thibault wasn't able to take the pressure of replacing a huge hero. It's Jeff Hackett who was a veteran who was able to be the stop-gap between the hero and the up-and-coming goalie of the future (Theodore).

So the Devils should be looking to sign or acquire an experienced goalie before going for Campbell.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
40 games is different than trusting your team in Kinkaid who has proven in no way that he will be a starter in 2 years. Devils are not going to get by with bad goaltending as seen by how they aren't exactly a powerhouse with the best goalie of all time.
What is that, a baseless projection over end of 2014 ? It sounds like someone making a wish more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
the best thing for the devils wouldn't be to the a rookie in there to replace Brodeur, but a veteran who can take the pressure.

I remember when Patrick Roy was traded, Jocelyn Thibault wasn't able to take the pressure of replacing a huge hero. It's Jeff Hackett who was a veteran who was able to be the stop-gap between the hero and the up-and-coming goalie of the future (Theodore).

So the Devils should be looking to sign or acquire an experienced goalie before going for Campbell.
Agreed. Brodeur can't be replaced but the best option for the Devils would be the combination of an experienced goaltender and an NHL ready prospect.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I will pass.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Those are there biggest assets because they have nothing on offense, not because they are good assets.

I can see it now...

Wedgewood being backed up by Kinkaid who will apparently be the goaltending tandem for New Jersey in two years.
And what has Jack Campbell done at the pro level to inspire confidence as a potential NHL starter?

Definite pass from a Devils fan.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Looking at Campbell's resume since 2010-2011, would anyone attribute any value to him if he wasn't an 11th overall pick?

Old
12-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Campbell might have a better pedigree than Devils' goalie prospects but he has proved the exact same amount as they have in the NHL, nothing. Trading away our best prospect for yet another goalie prospect is pointless. Brodeur and Hedberg still have another year left, assuming this year is thrown away, and that is a good chunk of time for either our goalie prospects to sharpen up their abilities or to find a veteran UFA. Obviously the best combination would be a veteran goalie and one of our goalie prospects to share time once Brodeur and Hedberg leave.

So no thanks from the Devils perspective.

Cheddabombs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:32 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
No, but you can get the obvious facts that a 3rd round C prospect average AHL goalie is not going to successfully replace Martin Brodeur, A future HOF and probably the best goalie of all time. Devils fans expect that their goaltending situation will be fine because they have never had any problems in the past years and have never had to worry about it. You will realize how much the team relies on Brodeur after he leaves and you put Wedgewood in his place.
They said that in 08/09 as well...

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
The Devils had below average goaltending last season and still made it to the Stanley Cup.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:07 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
The Devils had below average goaltending last season and still made it to the Stanley Cup.
I wouldn't say below average...maybe, but even then you had the best goalie ever in net. I would attribute his bad stats to his team for most of the year anyway