HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brendan Gaunce, Frank Corrado headline small group of Van. Canucks junior prospects

Old
12-04-2012, 06:25 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Brendan Gaunce, Frank Corrado headline small group of Van. Canucks junior prospects

For the Vancouver Canucks, the 2012 draft was all about size and grit, with a strong NCAA connection. To obtain that desired size (the average height of players drafted was 6’2), they chose players headed to Maine, Boston University, and Yale. A number of their junior prospects have already come of age, now developing at the pro level or overseas. Therefore, there are a small but promising handful of junior prospects developing within the Canucks' organization.

OHL

Brendan Gaunce, C, Belleville Bulls
Acquired: 1st round (26th overall) in 2012

Brendan Gaunce was the club's first pick in the 2012 entry draft, and the Canucks were ecstatic that the Belleville Bull was available at the 26th pick.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:20 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
That's about right I'd say. Kassian will graduate into the Canucks whether it be a top 6 or bottom 6 role and same with Jensen, though I'd think they'd peak at about a top-6 forward at least. They both got the raw skill to be there and as long as AV is here, they will have the smarts eventually. Though I think highly of our two OHL prospects, I still got a feeling Gaunce will find his way out of Vancouver, but Corrado will remain a stud for the 'Nucks in the coming years.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
That's about right I'd say. Kassian will graduate into the Canucks whether it be a top 6 or bottom 6 role and same with Jensen, though I'd think they'd peak at about a top-6 forward at least. They both got the raw skill to be there and as long as AV is here, they will have the smarts eventually. Though I think highly of our two OHL prospects, I still got a feeling Gaunce will find his way out of Vancouver, but Corrado will remain a stud for the 'Nucks in the coming years.

Once Gaunce understands what it means to be a pro, I don't see how he will leave. The Hodgson tie is something, but I'm not sure it's enough for a player to turn away from the franchise that has drafted and will develop him.

With this leadership and this management, I have to believe he will buy in. For Cody, it was his camp just as much as it was him. Gaunce doesn't have a "camp", so I'm not sure we can draw a parallel between the two.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Once Gaunce understands what it means to be a pro, I don't see how he will leave. The Hodgson tie is something, but I'm not sure it's enough for a player to turn away from the franchise that has drafted and will develop him.

With this leadership and this management, I have to believe he will buy in. For Cody, it was his camp just as much as it was him. Gaunce doesn't have a "camp", so I'm not sure we can draw a parallel between the two.
Yeah, I think AV's press on Hodgson's turn on defense contributed as much as anything in his souring as well as his souring turn with management I think Gaunce has a 50/50 chance to sour on them as well. If he is coddled and I hope he is I can see him being a Ryan O'Reilly, 40-50 point-player for us and essentially our Jordan Staal which will be crucial in a playoff match-up. Hopefully I'm wrong about Brendan.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Yeah, I think AV's press on Hodgson's turn on defense contributed as much as anything in his souring as well as his souring turn with management I think Gaunce has a 50/50 chance to sour on them as well. If he is coddled and I hope he is I can see him being a Ryan O'Reilly, 40-50 point-player for us and essentially our Jordan Staal which will be crucial in a playoff match-up. Hopefully I'm wrong about Brendan.

Brendan's got a clean slate, and he won't be coddled --> I hope they don't do this.

Basically, it must be made clear to Gaunce that he's got nothing to do with Hodgson. If he wants to take up the banner, he's in for a negative experience. If he wants out right now, he should be dealt. However, if it doesn't bother him, then there's basically nothing to worry about.

We can't fear that the Hodgson situation is going to wreck this relationship, they are two separate prospects with separate goals.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

If Gaunce needs to feel bad for his buddy then good riddance.

Its a profession and young non-superstar guys can hardly afford to make waves.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
No Ragretzky
Ho Borvat

Can someone explain why Corrado wasn't drafted earlier than the 5th round? Injuries? Size? I've heard nothing but good things since we drafted him and was wondering why he wasn't picked sooner.

No Ragretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonHearsAWh View Post
Can someone explain why Corrado wasn't drafted earlier than the 5th round? Injuries? Size? I've heard nothing but good things since we drafted him and was wondering why he wasn't picked sooner.
He was a 6'0 defencemen, 180 pound player on draft day. It's the only thing I can think of. He wasn't even at draft day. You hit and Miss sometimes, right now he's looking good. I'm not holding my breath until he makes the Vancouver Canucks.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Tiranis

Why is there even a discussion about this Hodgson - Gaunce thing? Is it because he didn't look sufficiently happy when he was drafted? I don't think I have ever seen him be particularly happy, even when he scores. That's just how he is.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:13 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Why is there even a discussion about this Hodgson - Gaunce thing? Is it because he didn't look sufficiently happy when he was drafted? I don't think I have ever seen him be particularly happy, even when he scores. That's just how he is.
Morgan Rielly looked more pissed to get drafted than any kid last year.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Oops..

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
I would be very surprised if Drouin was over his head at camp. Hell, he has carried the big line himself at times this year and made Mackinnon look ordinary.

He hasn't played particularly well the last few weeks in general. When he is off his game it really highlights his lack of size. He'll figure it out. Unfortunately, maybe not in time to make the team the way people say he is playing.
Wrong thread?

Old
12-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Yeah, thanks.

My bad.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

Quote:
That certainly has to do with it and I remember him being interviewed with his family on Canucks.com and they all looked pretty upset. Then we find out he's good friends with Hodgson later on and some of his tweets have been less than enthusiastic. Of course it could just be reading into things too much but we'll see.

Towel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Hardly surprising seeing how we get so much hate these days.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:31 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Morgan Rielly looked more pissed to get drafted than any kid last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towel-Power View Post
That certainly has to do with it and I remember him being interviewed with his family on Canucks.com and they all looked pretty upset. Then we find out he's good friends with Hodgson later on and some of his tweets have been less than enthusiastic. Of course it could just be reading into things too much but we'll see.
they should get traded for each other to make sure that each are content with their respective teams

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:35 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonHearsAWh View Post
I actually had him on my list that year (Not lying, look it up on here!). He actually had defensive question marks, specifically positioning and coverage in front of the net. There were questions with his decision making defensively and his offensive upside. At the time, he was a good puck mover, but did not look like the kind of guy you could put on your top PP and depend on him. He was on the PP at the time, more due to the lack of offensive d men for the Wolves. Add on to that very average size and a light build, its not exactly a great package, but he still skated as well back then as he does now. He was raw, a project and a high risk kind of player. That is why.

Something happened during that offseason and our camp. He really settled down defensively and plays so much smarter. He grew, put on some size and strengthened his shot. He developed into a much more well rounded player, such as the one we see today. Josh McFadden hogged all of the PP time while he was there, and rightfully so, the only thing he can do is PP. So this is Frankie's first year of being the main guy on that PP, that's partly why we are seeing such a big jump in points this season.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:40 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
they should get traded for each other to make sure that each are content with their respective teams
People are reading too much into this Hodgson BS. So much paranoia.

Even if he is unhappy or whatever, who cares. He's not a can't miss prospect. He may not even be an NHLer actually.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
People are reading too much into this Hodgson BS. So much paranoia.

Even if he is unhappy or whatever, who cares. He's not a can't miss prospect. He may not even be an NHLer actually.
At least two more years until he's ready for the NHL. I don't see any way he's upset or disappointed for that length of time, especially over something so minor. (I personally think this is all ********, but just speaking in hypotheticals.)

Old
12-12-2012, 09:58 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
At least two more years until he's ready for the NHL. I don't see any way he's upset or disappointed for that length of time, especially over something so minor. (I personally think this is all ********, but just speaking in hypotheticals.)
I agree. Just saying that hypothetically if he's upset, who really cares at this point.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towel-Power View Post
Anything that would lead us to believe he was disappointed to be drafted by the Canucks?

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Anything that would lead us to believe he was disappointed to be drafted by the Canucks?
He complained about the flight or something stupid like that. Then it got overanalyzed as if he didn't want to be here. Then again he also tweeted:

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the great words of support! Really excited to leave for Vancouver on Wednesday and start development camp!

Old
12-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Nuck Bonino

Dude is a huge pokemon fan, hes probably caught them all.
That's future captain material right there.

Nuck Bonino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:41 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

I think he's a bust anyhow. A good 4th line centre.

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I think he's a bust anyhow. A good 4th line centre.
While I wouldn't call him a bust(we were picking at 26th overall), I do think he'll end up as only a good-to-great 3C. Which is fine, I guess, but I'd still have preferred Collberg to him.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote