HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Dino Ciccarelli vs. Brendan Shanahan

View Poll Results: Who was the better player
Dino Ciccarelli 5 13.16%
Brandan Shanahan 33 86.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Maybe in baseball. In hockey, it's a straightforward question of who are the best 4 guys not in the Hall.
There is not always four inductees to the Hall. I believe that the commitée felt that he did'nt qualify as a first-ballot guy, and chose Oates and Bure becouse they had waited long enough. Maybe they see Shanahans whole career as better than Bures, maybe not, but that it was Bures time and that Shanny could wait.

Quote:
Neither Shanny nor Dino was what I'd consider a roleplayer. But I guess that comes down to personal definitions and such.
Yes.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Hawkman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
...Maybe in baseball. In hockey, it's a straightforward question of who are the best 4 guys not in the Hall. ...
Agreed. Also you can always tell here if a poster does not like a player, because he calls him a compiler. I've never heard of a baseball player with 3,000 hits or 3,000 Ks being called a compiler and his Hall worthiness being questioned, but it happens here all the time. Also stats are over rated here and the eye test is under rated. There's a reason front offices watch games and video. If the eye test was not important all the front offices would just look at the stats and fire all the scouts. When was the last time a team did not scout their Stanley Cup Final opponent? The eye test is important.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
[]Agreed. Also you can always tell here if a poster does not like a player, because he calls him a compiler. I've never heard of a baseball player with 3,000 hits or 3,000 Ks being called a compiler and his Hall worthiness being questioned, but it happens here all the time.[/B] Also stats are over rated here and the eye test is under rated. There's a reason front offices watch games and video. If the eye test was not important all the front offices would just look at the stats and fire all the scouts. When was the last time a team did not scout their Stanley Cup Final opponent? The eye test is important.
Are you referring to me? I dont question Shanahans induction to the Hall. But one thing is for sure: He was'nt as good as Sakic or Sundin, and maybe it was fair to induct Bure and Oates who had waited too long.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Are you referring to me? ...
No..

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Shanny spent all his prime years playing along side one of the greatest centres of all time, dino didnt.
Bobby Smith and Neal Broten say hi, two pretty decent play makers.

Shanny played with a variety of centers over his career.

He isn't Leach to Clarke by any stretch.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
There is not always four inductees to the Hall. I believe that the commitée felt that he did'nt qualify as a first-ballot guy, and chose Oates and Bure becouse they had waited long enough. Maybe they see Shanahans whole career as better than Bures, maybe not, but that it was Bures time and that Shanny could wait.
We have to go back to 75 to see more than 4 guys inducted in any one year. I honestly can't remember if the 4 player limit is an informal or formal one.

The 1st ballot thing is a misnomer though, another cheap lazy ripoff term from baseball and just like the "dead puck era" it doesn't apply.

Baseball has publicly reviewable voting and there is a notion among some writers that has grown over the years regarding the specialness of being a "1st ballot guy."

The HHOF committee members are not allowed to talk about the proceedings in the Hall voting so it's mere speculation on your part.

In fact they won't even talk if a players name came up or not.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
We have to go back to 75 to see more than 4 guys inducted in any one year. I honestly can't remember if the 4 player limit is an informal or formal one.

The 1st ballot thing is a misnomer though, another cheap lazy ripoff term from baseball and just like the "dead puck era" it doesn't apply.

Baseball has publicly reviewable voting and there is a notion among some writers that has grown over the years regarding the specialness of being a "1st ballot guy."

The HHOF committee members are not allowed to talk about the proceedings in the Hall voting so it's mere speculation on your part.

In fact they won't even talk if a players name came up or not.
That was'nt what i was talking about, at all.