HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Stella is gross. That is all.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. - Stanley Kubrick
Old
12-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I love Delirium.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

I haven't had that since I was in Belgium...I got way too excited seeing it in BevMo yesterday, so I bought the majority of their stock

Old
12-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I haven't had that since I was in Belgium...I got way too excited seeing it in BevMo yesterday, so I bought the majority of their stock
Well done. I've definitely had those moments.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
I only drank 1 of my 4 pack so far, saving the rest, lol. Delicious. I'm going to the store Friday to see what might be left. Hopefully they will have some in stock so I can feel ok with drinking some of the other bottles.

This year's St Bernardus Christmas Ale is solid as well.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
This year's St Bernardus Christmas Ale is solid as well.
I bought one of those as well. It was the first time I've spent good money on beer since I made the move. I've been almost exclusively a whiskey man since I got here, but seasonals and the Belgians are bringing me back. If I ever find a good Belgian bar within a reasonable distance I'm screwed. The last time I'd had a Delirium was in Belgian bar in Helsinki...where Juha and I racked up a bill of ~$130 in two hours.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
EatonBabies
Bylsma Blows!

Had Victory's Yakima Glory Ale the other day on tap. That stuff is gooooood.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:02 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Stella is gross. That is all.
It's alright. Better than Heineken IMO.

Am just a tad disappointed/annoyed that alot of beer glasses in my collection are Stella ones.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Dangles78

Why haven't I looked at this thread before? Facepalm

The family relocated to Erie when i was young. Yes, Erie sucks. Yes, it's a mini-Canada. Oh, and yes, the Tim Hortons per capita is strange.

With that said. Idk if this has ever been mentioned, but take a trip to Erie. Watch Connor McDavid and pick up some Erie Brewing Co. beer.

They have a variety of APA and IPA ales. Railbender and Presque Isle Pilsner are actually really good...others are questionable...

And did I see the word Heineken? Only memory I have with that particular beer was frosh year of college. We got one of those mini kegs. It was so bad that whoever won a game of beer pong got to drink the Bud Heavy instead.

...gonna have to search this thread. I feel like there are a lot of micro suggestions...

Old
12-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Brother Thelonious. Anchor. Anchor. PBR Can + Burrito. Racer. Racer. BudLight. Bed. not bad, i reckon for a wednesday.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:43 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

I tried the bottle of Leffe Blonde that came in that "Best Of Belgium" giftpack I bought last weekend. As usual I thought it was great. Plus the branded Leffe glass I now have is awesome.

Sadly though again it seems that our local LCBO (liqour store) can get six packs of Leffe Brun (which I have yet to try) but not the Blonde. I swear nothing pisses me off more than trying a beer that you've never had before, loving it, then realizing you cannot get any more of it locally.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Shady Machine

Had some Southern Tier 2XMAS Ale last night. Pretty solid winter warmer ale. Not quite as flavorful as I've come to expect from Southern Tier, but then again, not every beer has to be huge to be successful. 8% alcohol. I would recommend.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:53 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Brother Thelonious. Anchor. Anchor. PBR Can + Burrito. Racer. Racer. BudLight. Bed. not bad, i reckon for a wednesday.
You lost me at PBR

Old
12-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

i've tried every xmas/winter ale i could get my hands on this year. this is still the top dog though...

Old
12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Hey Big, how's Big Sky's Powder Hound winter ale? Think I might pick up a 6er tomorrow.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

Quote:
Hey Big, how's Big Sky's Powder Hound winter ale? Think I might pick up a 6er tomorrow.
Worthy of a sixer, but I was never a big fan of it. They tore it down and made a new recipe a couple years ago that vastly improved it, but it's still just an average seasonal in my opinion. In Missoula I'd stick with Bayern's Doppelbock unless I was actually at Big Sky.

If you like Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale you're more likely to like it. I'm a bigger fan of the heavier winter seasonals.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

I love the hofbrauhaus. half liter for 5.50. liter for 6 bucks. well ****.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:40 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Probably last beer run of the year. I didn't need more, but I wanted to make sure and grab a few more christmas/winter brews before they were sold out. Mainly went to find a few gifts for those games at holiday parties where you draw numbers and pick randomly wrapped gifts. I'll probably end up opening my own to be safe

I drive into SW Missouri to get their superior beer distribution selection and I'm wearing a Pens shirt and hat in the store today. 2 guys start talking up hockey to me. One guy talked for at least 20 minutes about beer and hockey, playing against Messier and Hull at some tournament back in the day, etc.

This particular Pens shirt gets comments nearly every time I wear it. Got the last one icejerseys had back in August. The other guy that said something went "THAT SHIRT IS AWESOME" Wore the same shirt at an Octoberfest bash in Nebraska and had 2 Pens fans, a Blackhawks fan, and a Flyers fan comment. The Flyers fan was of course a "Pens suck!"

What I picked up for myself...

4pk of Delirium Nol - Last 4pk they had, as soon as I grabbed it they replaced it with something else and removed the price sticker off the shelf. Had it marked down from $22 to $19.

Also picked up a 750ml bottle of it.

1 St. Bernardus Christmas Ale 750ml bottle

St. Bernardus 4pk + 1 large glass Gift Pack (wanted a second large glass)
-Pater 6
-Prior 8
-Abt 12
-Tripel

6 pack St Bernardus Sampler Pack (Hard to find a couple of these on their own)
-Pater 6
-Prior 8
-Abt 12
-Tripel
-Witbier
-Watou Tripel

6 pk Big Sky Powder Hound Winter Ale

4 pk Unibroue Blanche De Chambly - One of the only Unis I haven't tried yet, can't drink all dark beers all the time

4 pk Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Old
12-15-2012, 03:01 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Worthy of a sixer, but I was never a big fan of it. They tore it down and made a new recipe a couple years ago that vastly improved it, but it's still just an average seasonal in my opinion. In Missoula I'd stick with Bayern's Doppelbock unless I was actually at Big Sky.

If you like Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale you're more likely to like it. I'm a bigger fan of the heavier winter seasonals.
Tried one last night. Thought it was pretty solid. Not really all that wintry spiced, nice amount of hops though and some warmth from the alcohol.

While a nice heavy winter beer is great, I also like some of the more medium bodied brews this time of year if I want to have more than 1 or 2 in an evening. This is definitely good for that.

Old
12-15-2012, 03:17 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Last night I had a Santa's Private Reserve, from Rouge Ales. Very good. Was a bit hesitant because I am not a huge fan of most Christmas beers, but this was delicious.

Old
12-15-2012, 03:26 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Last night I had a Santa's Private Reserve, from Rouge Ales. Very good. Was a bit hesitant because I am not a huge fan of most Christmas beers, but this was delicious.
I don't know why I can't seem to find that beer this year. Every other Rogue style is in stock but that one is MIA.

Old
12-15-2012, 03:28 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
I don't know why I can't seem to find that beer this year. Every other Rogue style is in stock but that one is MIA.
Mine was not a recent purchase. I think it is over a year old. Maybe older. I bought a ton of craft beers a few years ago, and then tapered off in my consumption, lol. But the good thing with the quality craft beers is how long they keep.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:11 PM
iamjs
Looketh over there..

Quote:
Used to love the Noel more than the regular DT, but the last year or so it's been different. I don't think I got a bad batch of Noel, but there was something that was different about it. Of course, it wasn't bad enough that I would turn it down, just different.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:44 PM
JTG

I love beer gifts sets during Christmas time.

Closed Thread